Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:58:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  (Read 431482 times)
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #630 on: June 18, 2012, 01:32:02 PM

I reluctantly made it past the character creation and hit the gay play button

Your presence will be sorely missed.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #631 on: June 28, 2012, 03:52:16 PM

Patch notes for the game's latest update:

Patch 17.32.02

June 29, 2012

Cool New Stuff

•Guild vs. Guild (GvG) competition has been added to the political system. And you thought politics was cutthroat before...
◦Would-be vanarchs select either “Voting” or “GvG Competition” when they register as candidates. Two provinces on each continent have been reserved for vanarch GvG and up to 50 guilds can register.
◦When the competition phase begins, the guilds of candidates who selected GvG enter a modified GvG battle with the other guilds on that continent that also have candidates who chose GvG.
◦The vanarch GvG battles last one week. Only kills scored on characters level 40 and up count, and the points a guild can earn from defeating a specific other guild has been capped.
◦Players in candidate guilds can check their current vanarch GvG points, but not the point totals of their competitors.
◦The two guilds with the most points on each continent get to rule.

•The warrior class can now choose to be offense or defense in the instance dungeon matching system.
◦Warriors who choose defense automatically receive a buff when entering the dungeon.
■30 percent decrease in damage received.
■40 percent increase in aggro acquired.
■70 percent increase in endurance.

Bugs Squashed

•Fixed broken text links in some quests.
•Fixed where in the game clocks appeared twice.
•Fixed bug where trial accounts cannot block other characters.
•Fixed spacing bug in guild window.
•Fixed links to Pururu’s puppy in the daily quest.
•Cleaned up some wording in Balder’s Temple to make the fights and instance flow clearer.
•Cleaned up some confusing names around the mills in the questline “Unveil the Mask.”

Miscellaneous Changes

•Increased crafting skill level-ups per successful crafting attempt. More time fighting, less time in the workshop!
•Frames per second performance indicator has been added to the UI. It moves with the clock, but you can turn off either independently.
•Guildmasters can now delegate GvG rights of declaration, surrender, changing GvG state (PVE server only) to a designated guild rank.
•When warriors use Traverse Cut as a chain skill, damage received now decreases by 70 percent.
•When using an emote more than four times within five seconds, the chat message associated with that emote will not display. You can still /cry as much as you want to, though.
•The social chat message from successful gathering and crafting will no longer be displayed. Save the cheers; save the world!
•Teleport scrolls from vanarch specialty stores will now indicate which instance they take you to.
•Unique art assets have been added for guilds to congregate around.
◦Fighting arena outside the Velika north gate.
◦Guild gathering spots.
◦Podium (at Freedom Plaza within Velika).
•Trial users will now receive options to purchase TERA throughout their trial play.
•Trial characters will no longer be kicked out at level 23, but will no longer gain experience.

Zones

•We found some more loot! Rewards have been increased for six instance dungeons.
◦Sigil Adstringo: increase in weapon drops, armor drops, added crystals.
◦Ascent of Saravash: increase in weapon drops, armor drops, added crystals.
◦Suryati’s Peak: increase in weapon drops, armor drops, added crystals.
◦Kelsaik’s Nest (normal): added crystals.
◦Kelsaik’s Nest (hard):
■Increase in fanesteel drops.
■Increase in dream bindings drops.
■Increase in tier 13 weapon drops.
■Increase in tier 13 armor drops.
■More refined alkahest and masterwork alkahest are dropped on average per dungeon run.
■More crystals are dropped on average per dungeon run.
◦Labyrinth of Terror (hard): Increase godsmarrow drop rate, sleeper armor drops, and crystal drops per dungeon run.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #632 on: June 29, 2012, 07:26:47 AM

Sounds like they've had some long-standing issues with tanking. How long has this been live in Korea (or wherever it launched)? That sounds like a ridiculously large tank buff.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #633 on: June 29, 2012, 08:11:09 AM

Well Warriors were meant to be avoidance tanks but it required a fair amount of skill and a good knowledge of the encounter to pull off. And most Warriors tended to jump around like crazy avoiding damage (the really good ones knew how to time their invulnerabilities to keep this to a minimum but they were few and far between) so kept moving/turning the bosses and making healers and dpsers pull their hair out.  So as with all MMO's, players took the path of least resistance and went with the other tank class (Templar was it?) instead. They implemented the first half of the Warrior changes around launch and this is just the remainder of the buff to bring them in line.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #634 on: June 29, 2012, 09:27:58 AM

Sounds like they've had some long-standing issues with tanking. How long has this been live in Korea (or wherever it launched)? That sounds like a ridiculously large tank buff.
More accurately, up to now the only class which was allowed to queue in as tank in the instances was lancer. That'd cause long queues for everyone involved. With this patch they allow warriors (the evasion tank) to enter instances in tank role as well, but this means suddenly there's going to be influx of "tanks" who never actually tanked anything like instance boss in their lives. So i view that buff as sort of training wheels to ease people in. Whether the buffs get eventually reduced, removed, or stay, is anyone's guess at this point.

On different note, they've also implemented "chrono scrolls" mechanics in their game with that patch -- it's like EVE game codes, an item which can be bought for real cash and then used to extend your subscription, or to sell to others for game money. So, effectively the game has become "free to play" past initial box purchase (at the moment scrolls are being sold in game for the amount of money it'd take l.60 character ~1-3 days to raise)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #635 on: July 30, 2012, 02:45:26 PM

I downloaded the week trial thing and was frankly amazed to find that I'm loving the hell out of this.  My original impression just from what I saw was basically 'lol Korean mmo with naked chicks and little girls', but it seems that I sold it much too short.  (The correct impression would have been 'lol Korean mmo with naked chicks and dudes and little girls'  awesome, for real )  I'm very tempted to say that as far as melee combat goes, it beats out GW2's system.  I started a slayer, a big stone golem looking guy with a sword about as tall as he is.  In any given fight, I'll charge a monster from twentyish yards out, knock him down with the giant sword, do a forward flip to smash the sword down on him while he's down, do a whirlwind swing to hit him and anything else in the fight, backflip away while kicking something to stun it, do another forward flip to smash it with the sword, etc.  The fights are constant motion, rolling and jumping around while comboing attacks together to rain down blows.  It's one of the few times in any MMO when I can say that I'm having a good time when just fighting some random trash mob on a hill.

This doesn't hold so well for the ranged classes, though.  They can still dodge around (and need to, if they don't want their faces eaten), but standing as far away as possible from a monster to pelt it with spells or arrows is simply not as cool as whipping around giant weapons like a Final Fantasy character on crack.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #636 on: July 30, 2012, 04:37:26 PM

If the zones/mobs/ai/quests/progression/gear wasn't all so incredibly bland and piss poor boring it would be a playable game. The combat is sort of fun.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #637 on: July 30, 2012, 04:49:09 PM

If the zones/mobs/ai/quests/progression/gear wasn't all so incredibly bland and piss poor boring it would be a playable game. The combat is sort of fun.

That and the only difference between the male and female avatars being cup size. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: July 30, 2012, 09:37:21 PM

The quests and setting are no more generic than WoW's.  Compared to GW2, yeah, they're lacking.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: July 30, 2012, 09:55:19 PM

They shove all these group mobs in with the normal flow of solo questing to add that little extra annoyance. It reminds you not only are these generic quests, but I'm doing it alone.

Its a shame because I do like a lot of the zone and mob design, the BAMS can be fun in a group, and the combat is genuinely fun.  I even tried to be more sociable than my normal self, and joined a guild but the normal narrow level band for content bullshit that always splits me up from my friends when we play the same game is just as intrusive here.

I was having fun but hit a wall when a story arc ended with a group mob I couldn't solo, and couldn't get help and couldn't be arsed to level up a bit and make all that content trivial.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #640 on: July 31, 2012, 09:19:33 AM

They shove all these group mobs in with the normal flow of solo questing to add that little extra annoyance. It reminds you not only are these generic quests, but I'm doing it alone.
To be fair, the group mobs can be handled by any pair of people really so in my experience it's not very hard to get these quests done. Bit tougher than if you try to organize full "proper" group with tank, healer etc of course, but with the combat being so arcade-like this extra challenge can actually make it more fun, and/or nice change of pace.

I was having fun but hit a wall when a story arc ended with a group mob I couldn't solo, and couldn't get help and couldn't be arsed to level up a bit and make all that content trivial.
That is unusual -- as far as i can tell all* story mobs are a special case where they have "group monster" icon but they're just somewhat harder solo mobs, and can be beat single-handedly without much issue as long as you stay on your toes and don't do too sloppy work with your attack dodging.

*) to be precise, there's few cases where the main story involves going through one of the instanced dungeons which are tailored for a group. But these don't involve just single big mob to kill, and are marked as group stuff.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:21:49 AM by tmp »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #641 on: July 31, 2012, 09:29:53 AM

You try doing a solo-group mob while being Wasted... Grin

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #642 on: July 31, 2012, 09:38:03 AM

Here I was thinking I'd need to resurrect this topic when I received this email.

Seriously Scary Spoiler Ahead

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: July 31, 2012, 02:16:47 PM

That baraka swimsuit looks awesome, though.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #644 on: August 04, 2012, 07:59:00 AM

For Tera those are pretty lame and tame suits. They look less risque than most of the heavy armor options. Disappointing.

The quests and setting are no more generic than WoW's.  Compared to GW2, yeah, they're lacking.

Didn't see this. You are on crack. The zones in Tera feel incredibly artificial and the mob spawns are so static. I have no real respect for WoW but I don't remember it ever being that transparent. The zones in WoW were meant to tell little stories the zones in Tera are meant to give you the exp you need to get to the next zone. 

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #645 on: August 04, 2012, 10:55:36 AM

Didn't see this. You are on crack. The zones in Tera feel incredibly artificial and the mob spawns are so static. I have no real respect for WoW but I don't remember it ever being that transparent. The zones in WoW were meant to tell little stories the zones in Tera are meant to give you the exp you need to get to the next zone. 
Zones in Tera "tell stories" on pretty much the same level WoW launch zones did, as far as i can remember those. We may have more practice now in seeing the wizard behind the curtain, so perhaps that makes some difference but it affects WoW equally. And of course, learning the zone stories requires actually reading quest text so it's largely self-reinforcing -- those who will ignore backgrounds for the zones are going to wind up with impression there's none.

The claim about mob spawns being "so static" as if it's any different in WoW when both games utilize exactly the same mechanics (one shared with most DIKUs) ... is similarly off, in this regard.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #646 on: August 04, 2012, 10:06:38 PM

The zones in WoW were meant to tell little stories the zones in Tera are meant to give you the exp you need to get to the next zone. 

Calling bullshit.  WoW's 'little stories' are the same skippable quest text that you see in Tera.  The quest hubs all give quests based around a core theme (save this castle!  stop the terrible disease!), but that's true of every MMORPG on the market.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #647 on: August 04, 2012, 11:04:03 PM

The zones in WoW were meant to tell little stories the zones in Tera are meant to give you the exp you need to get to the next zone.  

Calling bullshit.  WoW's 'little stories' are the same skippable quest text that you see in Tera.  The quest hubs all give quests based around a core theme (save this castle!  stop the terrible disease!), but that's true of every MMORPG on the market.

They're quite a bit more involved than that post-Cataclysm (really post-WotLK for the 70-80 zones).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:07:03 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #648 on: August 05, 2012, 03:11:07 AM

Cataclysm really wasn't overwhelming me with the power of its story.  It did have some more bells and whistles to the quest hubs, but nothing that made me think that it was close to TOR's cinematic stuff or GW2's personal story quests.  I unsubbed well before pandatown hit, so don't know anything about the latest content.

*Disclaimer: This is not to particularly praise TOR, given that I bailed even before the free month was out.  But the voiceacting and presentation of quest stuff was definitely head and shoulders beyond most MMORPGs, even if the rest of the game was a shambles.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:19:23 AM by Kitsune »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #649 on: August 05, 2012, 03:15:43 AM

No, certainly nothing on the level of SWTOR, but they do have recurring characters with recognizable personalities, and coherent (mostly) plot threads that go through the whole zone. It is a long way from vanilla or even TBC.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: August 05, 2012, 03:17:26 AM

They're quite a bit more involved than that post-Cataclysm (really post-WotLK for the 70-80 zones).

I dunno... are they really? I mean:

"We were once known as the People's Militia. These days, though, we fight under the banner of Stormwind, with the full support of King Varian Wrynn. Our goals here in Westfall are many: to clean up the mess left behind by the Defias, to expand the reach of the Alliance and to maintain order. So far we are failing on all fronts.

Times are worse now than when the Defias ran amok. Now with the indigenous gnolls of the region up in arms, we find ourselves backed into a corner. Help us, <name>!

Slay any 12 Riverpaw Gnolls attacking Sentinel Hill."

it's possible this stuff feels better when viewed in game, i wouldn't know. But when just browsing the quest database, my impression is you could honestly replace these things with Tera quest text and i doubt anyone would notice any real difference. And not just because bulk of people skips the text why so serious?

fake edit: recurring characters with recognizable personalities and mostly coherent plot threads going through the whole zone(s) are also present in Tera zones/questlines. Perhaps that's why i don't find this stuff any better in comparison.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #651 on: August 05, 2012, 04:09:04 AM

Perhaps the important point is that WoW's quest text is really simple or unobtrusive.   From the readers point of view that leaves more room for whatever context he wishes.   At least until Metzen gets involved.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #652 on: August 05, 2012, 08:51:58 AM

Not many servers, forum posts complaining about population, I take it the game didn't manage to break out of the asian-mmo ghetto.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: August 05, 2012, 02:42:36 PM

By the looks of it, it's doing pretty much like every MMO post-WoW did  Ohhhhh, I see.

edit: to be fair, it got sandwitched between D3 launch, GW2 beta weekends and Funcom's newest offering... but no idea how much impact that had, vs what seems like standard "play for month, get bored, quit" approach of nowadays.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:45:59 PM by tmp »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #654 on: August 05, 2012, 02:52:57 PM

The mobs in Tera zones don't have any reason to be there, except for me to kill them.

Personally I remember EQ1 zones being better than WoW but I remember WoW being much much better than DAOC's zone design so I don't think that its only just me hating diku more and more as time passes. Tera is like DAOC but even worse, there is no reason for the mob camp spacing or the mobs in that particular camp its just go to camp A then camp B then camp C then advance to next zone. Tera zones feel like all korean f2p game zones though they are a lot better looking in both vistas and flora-fauna. They are lifeless and don't hide that I'm just grinding them for levels at all. Admittedly I only did something like 4 or 5 areas in the betas and one of them wasn't complete shit but the rest were.

I'll talk shit about WoW all day but there were good zones with lots of variety that made some kind of geographic and storyline sense, I'm not talking about the fucking quest text btw nobody reads that shit I just mean you can at least pretend in some WoW zones that the mobs have reason to exist beyond me grinding them.

The important part of my post was that those swimsuits are lame as fuck for a game that's best point is how ridiculously over the top you can dress up your character. I guess the school swimsuit Elin is incredibly creepy pedo pandering fanservice but no sling bikini? Nothing truly physics defying? Lame.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:54:43 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #655 on: August 05, 2012, 03:43:27 PM

The mobs in Tera zones don't have any reason to be there, except for me to kill them.
Dude, just... no. I don't know if you have trouble getting your point across or if i'm having trouble getting it, or if you honestly skipped every bit of text which spells out exactly why most of the mobs in Tera zones are where they are and do what they do because "nobody reads that shit" and that's your genuine opinion rather than normal forum hyperbole, but end effect is that sounds like selective bull.

There's as much reason for murloc villages in WoW zones and boars in the forests as there is for orcans or whatever to have their settlements in Tera zones, and for boars to be in the forests. And for various factions to have their camps and wage their little and large wars with the side your character is supposed to represent, in both games. Or no reason, if you prefer to view it this way, skip all the game's attempts to provide the context and actively avoid drawing any conclusions from the layouts you get to witness/travel through. But i honestly can't grasp how you'd be able to apply this approach to only one game yet not the other. Because srsly, have fun explaining how there's relatively deeper reason behind the murlocs and shit.

So yeah, maybe it is just you hating diku more and more as time passes, idk.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:45:36 PM by tmp »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #656 on: August 05, 2012, 04:15:19 PM

I dunno... are they really? I mean:

"We were once known as the People's Militia. These days, though, we fight under the banner of Stormwind, with the full support of King Varian Wrynn. Our goals here in Westfall are many: to clean up the mess left behind by the Defias, to expand the reach of the Alliance and to maintain order. So far we are failing on all fronts.

Times are worse now than when the Defias ran amok. Now with the indigenous gnolls of the region up in arms, we find ourselves backed into a corner. Help us, <name>!

Slay any 12 Riverpaw Gnolls attacking Sentinel Hill."

it's possible this stuff feels better when viewed in game, i wouldn't know. But when just browsing the quest database, my impression is you could honestly replace these things with Tera quest text and i doubt anyone would notice any real difference. And not just because bulk of people skips the text why so serious?

fake edit: recurring characters with recognizable personalities and mostly coherent plot threads going through the whole zone(s) are also present in Tera zones/questlines. Perhaps that's why i don't find this stuff any better in comparison.

I was just comparing WoW to WoW; Kitsune's post made me think he was talking about vanilla WoW as opposed to the post-Cata versions of the zones.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #657 on: September 03, 2012, 02:24:31 PM

Server merges coming September 18:

https://tera-support.enmasse.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/491

This makes sense since a lot of PvE content requires grouping (more than just the dungeons) and their servers already support multiple instances of the same zone (channels) so over-crowding isn't an issue. I was already planning on transferring to Dragonfall which is their most populous PvE server and now I can just wait for the merge to happen.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #658 on: November 17, 2012, 03:12:18 PM

Is anyone still playing? I am about to give it the 7 days trial, and I'd like to have a brief "state of the game" and the meta from anyone still in it. Also, what's the state of open PvP and Battlegrounds?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #659 on: November 17, 2012, 03:42:01 PM

There's a Discovery Edition now that let's you play to level 28 with no time restriction. Easier to group now, if you want to, post merge, but general chat is even more swamp poop. Don't do PvP so I can't comment on that.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: November 17, 2012, 03:49:20 PM

Is anyone still playing? I am about to give it the 7 days trial, and I'd like to have a brief "state of the game" and the meta from anyone still in it. Also, what's the state of open PvP and Battlegrounds?

Dunno, but I was thinking of trying it myself after the hurfblurf in the Elder Scrolls thread.  I could have sworn it was on Steam, but I can't find it there anymore, or any reference to it aside from one trailer which is "not available in my region".  Wikipedia says NCSoft is working through an injunction against the US publisher (En Masse) but I have no idea if that means the game was pulled from Steam (I think it's still available from the publisher) or if my memory's acting up again.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #661 on: November 17, 2012, 03:50:46 PM

What is crazy, from an EU standpoint (where there's only a 7 days trial, no level 28 discovery thing), is that the game still costs 50 euros and it requires a monthly fee. What the hell are they thinking?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #662 on: November 17, 2012, 04:05:44 PM

What is crazy, from an EU standpoint (where there's only a 7 days trial, no level 28 discovery thing), is that the game still costs 50 euros and it requires a monthly fee. What the hell are they thinking?

I believe Ubisoft is handling that portion? Might explain the fuckaroo.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #663 on: November 17, 2012, 04:07:07 PM

Dunno, but I was thinking of trying it myself after the hurfblurf in the Elder Scrolls thread.  I could have sworn it was on Steam, but I can't find it there anymore, or any reference to it aside from one trailer which is "not available in my region".  Wikipedia says NCSoft is working through an injunction against the US publisher (En Masse) but I have no idea if that means the game was pulled from Steam (I think it's still available from the publisher) or if my memory's acting up again.
The NCsoft/En Masse lawsuit was settled.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #664 on: November 17, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

North America is still subscription, too. It's only in Korea where they've been experimenting with a F2P version.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  
Jump to: