Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:52:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  (Read 431476 times)
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: April 24, 2012, 05:47:37 AM

Bluehole Studio, Creator of TERA, NOT Guilty in Criminal Trial
http://www.enmasse.com/blog/posts/bluehole-studio-not-guilty-in-trial
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: April 25, 2012, 02:06:48 PM

A new generation discovers old tricks I guess.
https://twitter.com/#!/Glasses_Off/status/195036156650471426/photo/1/large
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #527 on: April 25, 2012, 06:07:39 PM

Since if i understand it right there's no death penalty and no items get dropped when the player dies, that's functioning much like getting one's computer infected with honorary virus.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: April 25, 2012, 07:31:10 PM

Awwwwh how cute.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #529 on: April 26, 2012, 02:15:01 AM

This kind of stuff was awesome in Ultima Online. It's nice shitty to see how wrong PvP in MMOs has gone in the last 14 years that something as simple as this sounds NEW! to kids these days.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #530 on: April 26, 2012, 10:32:22 AM

I remember doing the same with a band of rogues in UO. Premise: Band of dexmonkey/archer rogues. All stealthed, except one who's standing around in the middle of the road trying to talk people into stopping for a bit. if they stop, the stealthers surround him/her, and all pop out of stealth in combat mode when a certain keyword is said out loud by the guy talking up the "mark". Demand boots, hilarity ensues when they try to run away. Kill them, take boots and a symbolic sum of 1 copper or so.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: April 26, 2012, 10:51:01 AM

The Salem thread is over that way. That's the sort of game niche game-play like that can afford to support.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: April 26, 2012, 06:59:29 PM

This kind of stuff was awesome in Ultima Online. It's nice shitty to see how wrong PvP in MMOs has gone in the last 14 years that something as simple as this sounds NEW! to kids these days.

And worse, Bluehole will patch it out before long.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: April 27, 2012, 02:21:15 AM

Why, have they made any noises about removing the open world PvP from their PvP servers?
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: April 29, 2012, 09:02:34 AM

I've been playing this in the headstart for a bit now. The combat is by far best in any MMO ever. It's very tactical (at least with melee) with a lot of positioning and reacting to different abilities. The combat is also slower than in most other games, giving you time to think about your next move: do I start an attack chain that roots me on a predefined pattern for the next second or two or do I wait for the opponent to make his move? Mobs have a ton of hit points which also slows things down. There is very little (if any) downtime. You can usually just run from fight to another.

Crafting is pretty cool with anyone being able to learn everything. Some of the reagent drop rates are bugged (Leatherworking). It also seems like crafting is the way to go for equipment while leveling. You can make better gear than what you get from quest rewards.

However, the game itself is not ready to go live. Instance servers are crashing all the time. The (always on) profanity filter in chat is hilarious. It filters words completely randomly. Also the same filter is used for all euro languages. Yes, French and English are so similar. The game also disconnects you several times per day, usually once an hour or so giving you notice that beta is not running anymore. The translation is horrendous at points.

It's also very obvious this is not a western game. There is no PVP. No battlegrounds, just world PVP on PVP servers. First instance is at level 20 which takes roughly 10 hours of playing to reach. The unreal engine does produce nice graphics, but there is a lot of instancing going on.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: April 29, 2012, 09:36:19 AM

Crafting is also extremely expensive. It's a massive money sink and unless you're going to do heavy grinding to supplement the cash requirements for every single thing you make, you're going to be very broke very fast.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #536 on: April 29, 2012, 04:29:41 PM

I think PSO2 is going to really hurt TERA. Maybe it will be worth playing when it goes f2p but Diablo3 makes even that unlikely.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: April 30, 2012, 08:24:16 AM

I don't see this game holding much of a long term appeal. At least at the moment it feels like a month is more than enough to see all this game has to offer. The few good ideas (i.e. combat) should be stolen by games that follow. It is the typical case where they've managed to innovate and implement few game systems excellently, but at the same time fail miserably in other parts.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: April 30, 2012, 10:28:25 AM

I don't see this game holding much of a long term appeal. At least at the moment it feels like a month is more than enough to see all this game has to offer. The few good ideas (i.e. combat) should be stolen by games that follow. It is the typical case where they've managed to innovate and implement few game systems excellently, but at the same time fail miserably in other parts.

Sounds a lot like SWTOR with a much smaller development budget. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: April 30, 2012, 11:49:26 AM

And a much much smaller initial rush.

I am the .00000001428%
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #540 on: April 30, 2012, 12:00:48 PM

TERA reminds me of ABP, it has one great system and a few cool ideas that need work. The core gameplay is pretty fun but nowhere near enough to justify a subscription to play. I can't understand why you would try to release this game around the same time as Guild Wars 2 with a box + sub pricing.

Considering the levels of fanservice it feels like TERA could have made so much more money selling cosmetics with a free + microtrans game then they will with box + sub or even GW's box + dlc model.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: April 30, 2012, 12:05:45 PM

You think GW2 is coming out any time soon?  Why do you think this?

They have no shown publicly Sylvari or the Asura.  They have not shown personal story quests past level 20 (they are supposed to go to level cap).  They have level capped all the beta events at level 30 I believe.

Fall release unless NCSoft forces them to go way way early.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: April 30, 2012, 12:29:43 PM

Nice launch feature announced, free character transfers (for the time being)

If you wound up on a different TERA server than your friends, En Masse Entertainment has got you covered. Our account management system will offer server transfers starting April 30—a day before TERA officially launches. True action combat is better with friends, after all.

Server transfers will be free and immediate (no waiting period) throughout the initial rush of new players to TERA. Once the server populations stabilize, we'll place limits on the number of transfers, the level of your character, and how much gold you can take with you to your new server. We'll charge for server transfers you make for convenience reasons, but transfers made to balance server populations will always be free.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #543 on: April 30, 2012, 05:55:52 PM

They have no shown publicly Sylvari or the Asura.  They have not shown personal story quests past level 20 (they are supposed to go to level cap).  They have level capped all the beta events at level 30 I believe.

Doesn't matter, its on every gamer's radar, its on the horizon and people played and streamed it all weekend. Nobody is paying $60 for TERA without first considering it in contrast to GW2 except people who are such junkies that they were going to buy it anyways because they buy all of these shit games.

TERA is going to follow very closely in APB's footsteps.

-William Gibson
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: April 30, 2012, 06:55:26 PM

Doesn't matter, its on every gamer's radar, its on the horizon and people played and streamed it all weekend.
If it doesn't even matter that GW2 isn't releasing soon because it's on everyone's radar as it is, then the complaint about TERA relasing now being somehow poor timing because of that is pretty silly -- with this logic they shouldn't be releasing at all because GW2 will be on everyone's radar all to its launch who knows how many months from now, and then it well, will be out.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: April 30, 2012, 09:57:54 PM

They had several sylvari / asura-only demos at gamescom and pax 2011 (both low-level and mid-level stuff).

jayfyve
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: May 01, 2012, 07:18:31 AM

I see a lot of Tera vs GW2 conversations, but I would like to read more Tera vs WoW. Maybe this is an extension of the NCSoft vs Bluehole fighting.

Personally, I can afford 1 monthly payment for MMOs, so I am going to play Tera and GW2. At the moment, I enjoy Tera more, but I've only had a weekend experience with GW2, and it didn't like my hardware. Tera runs really well on my system, and the graphics look great!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: May 01, 2012, 08:34:48 AM

They had several sylvari / asura-only demos at gamescom and pax 2011 (both low-level and mid-level stuff).

Yeah I know, I played a Sylvari at PAX East, but they have not been on public display in any of the beta events.  Event at PAX, if you played a Sylvari, you got tossed into a level 40 or 50 something character in a very specific area.  Essentially, if I remember correctly, they just let you play with the race, but the race specific stuff wasn't in.

The only press demo I know of is when they allowed PCGamer to talk about the Asura starting area, but no video, only screenshots.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: May 01, 2012, 08:35:51 AM

I see a lot of Tera vs GW2 conversations, but I would like to read more Tera vs WoW. Maybe this is an extension of the NCSoft vs Bluehole fighting.

Personally, I can afford 1 monthly payment for MMOs, so I am going to play Tera and GW2. At the moment, I enjoy Tera more, but I've only had a weekend experience with GW2, and it didn't like my hardware. Tera runs really well on my system, and the graphics look great!

Why would you want to see TERA vs. WOW?  The Tera vs. GW2 is based on the combat systems since they are both somewhat different that traditional tab-target systems.

TERA is going to follow very closely in APB's footsteps.

I don't think so, and I'm not sure how you are correlating the two.  TERA has been successful in the East already for over a year, so the dev house for TERA isn't closing up shop any time soon.  TERA is getting amazingly good word of mouth, so the game is at least the price of the box, and that will carry over for a few months.  The game runs like butter on a lot of systems and looks great doing it.

The game has almost everything a traditional MMO has as far as content except traditional multi-group raiding.  It's got a ton of systems in place to keep people busy.  Also the game is just fun to play in it's own right.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:39:57 AM by Draegan »
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: May 01, 2012, 08:55:03 AM

Also the game is just fun to play in it's own right.
Even saw people say healing is fun.
jayfyve
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: May 01, 2012, 09:06:05 AM

Why would you want to see TERA vs. WOW?  The Tera vs. GW2 is based on the combat systems since they are both somewhat different that traditional tab-target systems.

How is GW2 different? I didn't notice anything on the weekend. Tab or click target, then press hotkey, there was even autoattack. lol I was probably playing it wrong.

The skill system seemed like the newest idea to me.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: May 01, 2012, 09:14:06 AM

Also the game is just fun to play in it's own right.
Even saw people say healing is fun.

Healing is fun, at least if you have a decent tank.  I hardly ever have chain heal my wife's lancer against bosses and spend most of the time actually playing the game and not watching health bars.  I actually get to see the fight.  It's a pretty nice change.  

edit:  I suppose I should also note that I've been 3 manning stuff in this game, not even a full party, and we're doing just fine, including dungeons.  It means that I'm every bit as important for getting off interrupts as the dps and tank and have to pay attention, but I've never felt overly stressed by this while also healing.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:19:33 AM by Ard »
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: May 01, 2012, 09:21:00 AM

I don't really see any point in comparing them on that basis either. GW2 combat is pretty traditional (outside of dodging maybe) but the game mechanics are interesting. Tera has a focus on more active combat and korean style but traditional classes and WoW has the dominant raiding game and existing population. All of them seem to have something to add.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: May 01, 2012, 11:31:21 AM

How is GW2 different? I didn't notice anything on the weekend. Tab or click target, then press hotkey, there was even autoattack. lol I was probably playing it wrong.

The skill system seemed like the newest idea to me.

Line of site and positioning matter.  In GW2 you can swing your weapon or cast a spell without a target and it will hit something.  Also, you can dodge shit too.  Also if I'm targeting you with my fireball and cast it, then your friend that has a lot of hps jumps in front of you, it'll hit him instead of you.

It's not incredibly different, but it's different enough.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: May 01, 2012, 05:22:06 PM

Didnt this launch today?  Is anyone here actually playing?
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: May 01, 2012, 05:51:06 PM

It did, though it effectively launched on Saturday due to the head-start. I decided to pick it up since they addressed my biggest complaint, enchanting de-leveling, and I've got some time to kill till D3 comes out.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: May 01, 2012, 06:31:49 PM

I really liked alot of what this game had combat wise, and even the overall world/lore itself, but most of what I saw during betas didn't really impress me or really reveal a "hook". This probably was due to the bland questing, which for almost all 15 levels I played involved "kill x mob_somethings" or the big "mob_something". I could forgive the art style, but I also didn't see a real endgame that wasn't going to be handicapped by the quests and "on rails" feeling. I also am an alt-holic which having all the quests be identical made me big time /sadface.

I did try to role-play a couple of times, seeking some comedy, but the cramming a beta onto weekends made nearly everyone ignore local chats, while global chat became the same barrens chat I see everyplace. I mourn for the use of keyboard to communicate in games sometimes. I did have a couple of screencaps in my Path of Exile hardore story, just because I did spend time on TERA instead of PoE.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: May 01, 2012, 07:22:19 PM

I also am an alt-holic which having all the quests be identical made me big time /sadface.
The game is a bit odd in this regard, almost an opposite of usual offerings -- first 15-18 levels only give single path through content, but afterwards there's a choice between two different areas, and after reaching l.30 or so there's multiple available zones which allow alts to go through different paths, without much overleap.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: May 01, 2012, 09:39:38 PM

Actually, you can start skipping content pretty easily well before you're even out of the newbie island.  The leveling rate far exceeds the content available in game, in this version at least.  I've been playing with my wife and a friend, and we've started wholesale skipping hubs and zones as we've been outleveling areas.  It'll give us stuff to come back and do on different run throughs.  I wish the newbie island wasn't quite as linear as it is, but it aims to have you out at level 10 to 11, and if you do everything you'll somewhere between the high end of 11 or 12.

I've been playing since open beta two weekends back, which was the real actual start, and enjoying the hell out of it.  My group is up to the mid 30s now, and I'm still having a lot of fun.  Tonight was the first world boss we've run into that I've actually had to spend all of my time positioning and healing, and not contributing to dps, and it was still better than my healing experiences in every other MMO I've played because I have to actually watch the fight, not the health bars.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: May 01, 2012, 10:17:40 PM

The leveling rate far exceeds the content available in game, in this version at least.  I've been playing with my wife and a friend, and we've started wholesale skipping hubs and zones as we've been outleveling areas.
If i understand it right you get something like 20% xp bonus in group, so that'd likely help you to outlevel stuff even faster, i'm guessing. Although now that i think about it, i got 1-2 levels ahead of the "main questline" pretty early, too.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  
Jump to: