Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:50:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  (Read 431592 times)
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #490 on: April 09, 2012, 10:31:29 AM

Played this last beta, got to l.24 while it lasted. For melee class (warrior) combat is quite entertaining -- with the skills auto-chaining there's less focus on pressing million buttons and more on the maneuvering around. Some of the boss fights come with even more irritation than it's usual for melee though, as the bosses like to jump all over the place and you spend more time running after them than actually fighting.

Other than combat it's, like Aion, very much another tweaked Lineage clone (no surprise given the pedigree i guess) with similar mechanics, art style and cockpuncture. Some changes feel like they're actually for the worse -- very slow health regen out of combat in particular is meh. I get they're desperate for money sinks in their "economy" (item dyes only lasting a day are another example of that) but the way they went about it is both annoying and clumsy.

The storyline/quests/writing in general also feel distinctly 'korean mmo' for lack of better word. Although i have no idea if that's the game itself or the translation messing things up to some degree.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: April 11, 2012, 01:12:07 AM

Open Beta getting near:

Dedicated TERA fans, we are in the home stretch! The start of our Open Beta Test on April 19 marks the first time players will be able to create and play characters that will persist through to launch and beyond. Pre-order players will be able to reserve their preferred character name and enjoy early access to the Open Beta Test servers a day before the rest of the world experiences TERA. This event will use a new build of TERA requiring a 4.3 GB patch.

Note, according to their schedule page this is for people who pre-ordered the game (and as such get one day of beta headstart). The actual open beta starts on April 20th.

Interestingly enough those with pre-orders also get to keep their open beta characters at game launch. Fun on the PvP servers, i'm sure Ohhhhh, I see.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: April 11, 2012, 06:26:27 AM

What is their fee model?  Board chatter seems to imply it's a sub game, but I haven't seen anything explicitly declare it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: April 11, 2012, 07:00:33 AM

What is their fee model?  Board chatter seems to imply it's a sub game, but I haven't seen anything explicitly declare it.
It actually has the subscription costs on their store page, on the right side under "Select Renewal Interval".

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: April 11, 2012, 08:54:10 AM

Thanks.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: April 11, 2012, 11:32:20 AM

I'm gonna play a Lancer I think.

I just have to decide on a race.  Thing to consider though is each race has some racial abilities and passives.  Some of them are more powerful that others which make things lame.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: April 11, 2012, 11:43:00 AM

The bear/dog/racoon guys are pretty cute, but if i'm not mistaken their racial is something like faster swimming which isn't too useful (maybe occasionally in pvp encounter)  Since lancers are tanks, human could be good choice since they get 10% incoming damage reduction if their hp falls to 30% or less? Don't know what the other racial traits are, though.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: April 11, 2012, 11:48:35 AM

I'm gonna play a Lancer I think.

I just have to decide on a race.  Thing to consider though is each race has some racial abilities and passives.  Some of them are more powerful that others which make things lame.

One of the big draws of this game is the visuals and character design.  Just pick whichever looks best =p
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #498 on: April 11, 2012, 12:38:16 PM

I liked in the character select that you can choose the voice for your character because some of the options would of sucked if I couldnt of changed it.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: April 11, 2012, 03:37:07 PM

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/new-launch-feature-the-economic-powerhouse
http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/news-announcements/topics/Looking-For-Group-and-Instance-Matching-21092?page=1

2. Instance Matching:
With the Instance Matching system, folks will be able to find the other players who want to run specific instances. This will work as a cross-server system where one person or a party leader (when there are 2-5 characters within the party) can apply to be matched for an instance dungeon.

LOL.  Korean MMO has dungeon finder before swtor?!

http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/new-launch-feature-earning-reputation
And we promise: no killing a thousand furbolgs just to go through a tunnel.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:02:54 PM by Outlawedprod »
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #500 on: April 11, 2012, 06:12:50 PM

I'm horribly confused and torn by this game.  I should hate everything about it, yet I couldn't stop playing the beta last weekend.  I'm trying my damnedest right now to not preorder this, and enmasse's daily releases aren't helping my resolve any.  I'm currently going with "this will suck without a decently sized guild" to keep me from spending money.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #501 on: April 11, 2012, 06:59:32 PM

The lack of free time plus the fact that any new pc budget I may have had going out the window due to my new car will keep me from buying this. I enjoyed the visuals and the combat was kinda fun but my PC can't handle even the smallest towns much less the capital city.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #502 on: April 11, 2012, 07:20:13 PM

I wouldn't worry; it will be f2p by 2013 Q1.  I'd lay money that they've already got a model in development.  They just have to maximize those box sales first!  Once those die off, f2p here we come.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: April 11, 2012, 07:51:38 PM

The bear/dog/racoon guys are pretty cute, but if i'm not mistaken their racial is something like faster swimming which isn't too useful (maybe occasionally in pvp encounter)  Since lancers are tanks, human could be good choice since they get 10% incoming damage reduction if their hp falls to 30% or less? Don't know what the other racial traits are, though.

They actually get a pretty excellent racial that lets you walk past mobs without getting proximity aggro for something like 1 min. It's excellent for collection quests where you might want to just loot a camp and walk out without having to fight anything. All the racials have crazy long cooldowns, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: April 12, 2012, 04:19:56 AM

I'm horribly confused and torn by this game.  I should hate everything about it, yet I couldn't stop playing the beta last weekend.
Yeah, most of it was pretty meh, but as i sit now and think about it i'm kinda tempted to buy it because the combat as warrior was pretty fun and with the game being 95% combat.... welp. Might just buy it and play for a month in the end i guess, should be enough to get my fill.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #505 on: April 12, 2012, 07:00:57 AM

Just got open beta email. No way I'll be buying it, but I do want to play around with it a little. I also hate it when Ard likes things, since I probably will, too.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #506 on: April 12, 2012, 09:34:30 AM

I got the open beta email as well. I'm going to see if I can find the time to give it a try, but I don't have a lot of interest in it.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: April 12, 2012, 10:31:27 AM

Just got open beta email. No way I'll be buying it, but I do want to play around with it a little. I also hate it when Ard likes things, since I probably will, too.

Don't trust my opinion on this one.  It might just be the fact that I'm effectively unemployed right now and bored while waiting for GW2.  For some reason this game scratched an itch last weekend, but I should have hated everything about it.  I installed it for the lulz, and got the opposite reaction.  The only thing I can say on the subject is that I tried swtor during it's free weekend, and uninstalled it after 20 minutes.  I still haven't uninstalled this, and it makes me feel dirty.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: April 12, 2012, 11:09:22 AM

The latest flurry of announcements that EM has put out about the game has me reconsidering it.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: April 12, 2012, 10:09:33 PM

If anyone is mildly curious I would recommend trying the open beta since anyone can do it.  They are not wiping the USA server characters from Open Beta so basically it's like a weekend trial with a level cap.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: April 19, 2012, 06:23:40 PM

Assumed for "Action Combat" I could read high latency players need not apply, but had a look around just to see if that was the case..

Tera Archery test.

Basically low-ping is a free damage buff, and probably doubly so in PvP.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #511 on: April 19, 2012, 11:51:36 PM

There's something to be said for doing something novel and slightly forward-thinking mechanically.

MMO combat has never been good, just "good enough", and "good enough" stops being good enough after a while. It's hard to think of too many genres where the activity you do 95% of the time is objectively kind of bad and most devs put no real effort into improving it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: April 20, 2012, 12:00:23 AM

... make it more like a console action-RPG I guess you mean?

Shrug... the old idea was that your character does the fighting and you operate at a more tactical/strategic level, but the console generation gets bored if they don't have a attack button to mash and QTE's. Still, it's inevitable, so no point arguing about it. But it will be latency and lag sensitive so I would wait for a trial if either applies.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:04:44 AM by Kageru »

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: April 20, 2012, 12:38:27 AM

... make it more like a console action-RPG I guess you mean?

Shrug... the old idea was that your character does the fighting and you operate at a more tactical/strategic level...

I don't mean make it more like a console action-RPG as much as do something, anything, to progress in some direction. More actiony is one such direction, but so is an icon or menu driven combat that takes actual strategy.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: April 20, 2012, 07:56:50 AM

I had fun with this game last night.  Kind of funny how this game has a fully operational AH that is 100x better and functional that SWTOR, and also has a x-server LFG feature already.

That and your mount is instant-cast. 
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: April 20, 2012, 08:55:54 AM

To be fair, the game has technically been out for over a year now in Korea, that's plenty of time to implement the AH and LFG tool. Dunno if it had them in this shape at launch.

The insta-cast mounts are pretty handy, tho Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

edit: sidenote, must suck for the publishers to suddenly find out Blizzard just shat all over their open beta by announcing one for Diablo 3 on the same weekend...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:20:13 AM by tmp »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: April 20, 2012, 03:22:49 PM

I still don't think there is any major cross over between D3 and MMORPGs outside the first week D3 will be out, I don't think it'll effect numbers. 

Plus D3 open beta is so limited, who cares?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: April 20, 2012, 07:07:32 PM

Pretty much.

Open Beta, start at level 20. Smooth so far. This under NDA? Doesn't give me a sense of how much of an Eastern-grind this will be. I liked the action-y feel at E3. But if it takes weeks to get one new ability, into the Lineage 2 bin it goes.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: April 20, 2012, 08:23:24 PM

In TERA you can get to level 20 in one play session.

One of the many reasons why it's not popular in Korea.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #519 on: April 20, 2012, 11:06:01 PM

I played it tonight. It was pretty. The combos and combat were somewhat interesting, but it didn't really grab me and after about 30-45 minutes, I went and played League of Legends.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: April 21, 2012, 06:34:46 AM

Pretty much.

Open Beta, start at level 20. Smooth so far. This under NDA? Doesn't give me a sense of how much of an Eastern-grind this will be. I liked the action-y feel at E3. But if it takes weeks to get one new ability, into the Lineage 2 bin it goes.

Doesn't start at 20, you go through a short thing at 20 and then it rolls you back to 1 to go through the noob-land. (At least it did for me, might have to try again when I get home and not die during the boss fight and see if that changes)

In the closed Beta a couple weeks ago I got to level 17 or 18 with like 6 or 7 hours played and I was really just plunking around casually most of the time.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: April 21, 2012, 11:18:52 AM

Got a high elf mystic to 12, boring pet class. Tried a castanic berserker to 6, but it just felt awkward. Instead of swinging a giant axe in a powerful way, it felt more labored and struggling. The 'action combat' as a whole was sluggish.

Gear was very disappointing. I was getting new stuff all the time, but it was the exact same model as what I was wearing, maybe with a different color. And for the grief they've gotten about the skimpiness, they still make the common mistake of putting the sexy in front where you can't see it and covering dat ass with a butt-cape.

I'll be sticking with Dragon Nest for my mix of action and diku level/gear progression.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: April 21, 2012, 02:55:45 PM

I've got my lancer to level 26 or 27 so far.  Tanking is interesting, and even more frustrating if you are playing with idiots.  It's engaging though and takes a bit of skill.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: April 21, 2012, 03:47:35 PM

Doesn't start at 20, you go through a short thing at 20 and then it rolls you back to 1 to go through the noob-land. (At least it did for me, might have to try again when I get home and not die during the boss fight and see if that changes)

In the closed Beta a couple weeks ago I got to level 17 or 18 with like 6 or 7 hours played and I was really just plunking around casually most of the time.
Yea, was posting between sessions. Was kinda surprised at the empty hotbat after the opening scenario :) I did laugh though at the thrown-together-last-minute statement when you first log in, something like "You land on a beach. Bad things happened". Just about that painfully generic.

Played a DPS caster for a couple of hours. Leveling from 1 did turn out to be fast. But the quests are soooo bland. The lore seemed interesting to a degree, in an Aion sorta way. But so far I haven't seen any quest (nor quest delivery) that wasn't cookie-cutter pre-WotLK WoW. Granted, this isn't that important since it's the combat user experience that makes Tera unique. But still, it's something of a throwback for anyone coming from SWTOR.

I'd say I was biased by ME3 too, but my addiction is to the multiplayer there, which has all the narrative-creativity of Left 4 Dead (which is appropriate given the game play) Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: April 22, 2012, 08:24:05 AM

I played it tonight. It was pretty. The combos and combat were somewhat interesting, but it didn't really grab me and after about 30-45 minutes, I went and played League of Legends.

You should have played a Slayer...it is like playing Tryndamere. They even have a weapon called the "self propelled mower" heh.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  
Jump to: