Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:35:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  (Read 431551 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #350 on: February 23, 2012, 07:42:11 PM

2 PVP servers will be available in CBT2.  Right now they have no final plan for open world PVP ruleset.  Appears they will adjust it based on CBT feedback.

I think they have an idea, but they want to give the players enough rope to hang themselves with by making it no penalty open world PVP for this CBT. I love it.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #351 on: February 24, 2012, 06:13:24 AM

For anyone who grabbed an IGN Prime beta key, they've flipped them so they give you access to the next CBT.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #352 on: February 24, 2012, 07:49:49 AM

I will go Jagged Coast and have some friends on it, but I'm not going to get to play as much as I thought this weekend so meh.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: February 24, 2012, 12:38:20 PM

I will go Jagged Coast and have some friends on it, but I'm not going to get to play as much as I thought this weekend so meh.

Was going to message you and see if you wanted a beta key for this weekend but I'll take it you are already in?

*SPOKEN FOR*

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:52:49 PM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: February 24, 2012, 12:49:03 PM

<raises hand>

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: February 24, 2012, 12:50:39 PM

I sent a PM before you posted Tarami (and probably others too).

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: February 24, 2012, 12:52:30 PM

Just confirming this, he did.  I just hadn't updated yet.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: February 24, 2012, 12:53:29 PM

Head scratch

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: February 24, 2012, 12:55:53 PM

I read his message and immediately sent a PM, and like 4 minutes later saw your post here Tarami, so I figured I should let you know.
It's also possible I may have been beaten by someone else too.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: February 25, 2012, 10:07:01 AM

I played a berserker to level 12 yesterday with some friends. The game looks gorgeous and runs really well. Flying into the capitol city was pretty breath-taking, and the engine really supports a large sense of scale. The animations are all really nice as well, which each race having plenty of character and the idle/combat animations for those races fitting well.

I noticed lots of little "MMO veteran" details that they got right. Both B and I defaulting to opening bags, quickly being able to assign target icons to enemies (Q while mousing over an enemy brings up a radial menu), group quest tracking with 'Xth step' listed, etc. The combat is an improvement for MMOs, for sure, but it's not quite what I hoped it would be. There isn't a huge emphasis on defense like you see in Monster Hunter, but I'm hoping that it gets a bit more challenging at higher levels.

My biggest complaint with the game so far is that the story is worthless. I started out trying to read quest but gave up after about 30 minutes when I hadn't read a single interesting thing. I'm okay with an MMO being about combat rather than anything else, but SWTOR has increased my expectations for how engaging story can be in an MMO.

I liked it enough that I'll be picking up TERA for a few months when it releases.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: February 25, 2012, 11:24:13 AM

Do we hope the game is a success just so they can keep Bas Rutten employed?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc-5ziTCtMA
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #361 on: February 28, 2012, 11:52:36 AM

WHY YOU MIGHT LIKE IT:
-You always played female toons and justified it by saying you'd rather stare at a girl's ass while playing. This game is for you. I've never played a female and I've never played an elf. Until Tera. I like boobs.
-Combat is an improvement over target + auto attack but its not huge. It feels a little like diablo combat in terms of how clicky it is.
-Big numbers are big, gold, damage, hp/mp all the numbers are huge. Crits appear in a satisfying blood splatter bold explosion of damage.
-It has fast leveling, WoW style questing, no forced grouping.
-Instant cast mounts, free mount at level11, feels good man.
-Its obvious where to go, what to do next, you can click a mob's name in quest text and you get its spawn zone on your minimap. You could learn a foreign language or listen to a podcast and leveling in Tera will not distract you.

WHY YOU MIGHT HATE IT:
-You find weaboo shit uncomfortable.
-The catpedo race.
-Really super anime bishounen pretty boy male pc's.
-Quest/story aspects are forgettable.
-The "world" feels incredibly artificial, none of the zones have character and the mobs while mostly cool looking feel random as fuck. Also getting to level 18 I'd yet to see the AI do anything that made the fight interesting.
-PvP is a joke, someone 4 levels higher (in a max 60 level game) can one shot you without special gear. Possibly max level max gear pvp will be interesting. But it feels like a game where pvp is less than an afterthought.
-The camera control is awkward and requires hitting esc a lot. Or I was doing it wrong.

For me, I enjoy the look, no big surprise. I think its a huge mistake that they put so many npc's in the super fanserivce armor and that they made the armor look change into a big money sink (you can't do it at low levels its too expensive) instead of something where we could turn armor we get into the same look as armor we have already had or something along those lines.

The combat is much better and I do wonder how max/max pvp might play but the warrior and priest skills I've gotten feel pretty bleh. Honestly this is the combat system DAOC needed but this game doesn't have DAOC's class variety and plethora of combo/chain/positional skills.

I hate the fucking world. I know I'm part of the crazy minority that wishes for sandbox/virtual world games that feel more alive and the majority thinks instancing is great because it lets them avoid playing with other people in their mmo. But I don't think either side will like what TERA has done. Its the mob camps/spawns/types they just feel so artificial. Like the game doesn't feel like an RPG world at all, there is nothing outside of the  terrain and vistas that feels handmade or even that feels as if some thought was put into it. By the third area you can feel the pattern that will continue over and over. So far the only decent zone is the Fey Forrest. This may get better but its not a great sign when the first three hours of gameplay feels so boring transparent and low effort on the level designers part.

To put it another way that might actually make sense. I've never missed EQ1 zones like the orc train and the beach and that early dungeon with the gnolls or even that fucking obnoxious barbarian zone you couldn't see a thing in during night time.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:58:09 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: February 28, 2012, 12:14:55 PM

-The camera control is awkward and requires hitting esc a lot. Or I was doing it wrong.

You were doing it wrong. Alt or Mouse 5 (by default) switches to UI mode so that your mouse doesn't move the camera.

The look of the world was probably the highlight of the game for me. All the environments and enemy designs have a ton of character. The animations for players and monsters are fantastic as well, lots of little convincing details. Apparently hiring artists in Asia is cheap because this game and Alice: Madness Returns (made in Shanghai) feel like they had double the art budget of recent Western games. Much less enemy/environment re-use, many more small details.

Combat felt less spammy as I approached the end of the level cap for beta, but it's really going to depend on what class you're playing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:24:33 PM by Rokal »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #363 on: February 28, 2012, 12:47:48 PM

Even alt is a bit awkward though, having a skill bound to right click isn't worth not being able to control the camera with right click how I'm used to. But yeah that's something you would learn to live with certainly and its more of a comfort level thing then an obviously inferior way of doing things gripe. Hold both mouse buttons to rotate camera would have been nice as well.

I agree animations are solid and things look cool but I'm talking about overall zone design. None of the zones in TERA I've seen except the Fey Forrest feel like anything beyond a superficially pretty exp/gold/loot dispenser mechanism. They needed to hire a westerner to do the zone design and tell them where to put those cool looking mobs.

-William Gibson
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: February 28, 2012, 01:05:08 PM

I hate the fucking world. I know I'm part of the crazy minority that wishes for sandbox/virtual world games that feel more alive and the majority thinks instancing is great because it lets them avoid playing with other people in their mmo. But I don't think either side will like what TERA has done. Its the mob camps/spawns/types they just feel so artificial. Like the game doesn't feel like an RPG world at all, there is nothing outside of the  terrain and vistas that feels handmade or even that feels as if some thought was put into it. By the third area you can feel the pattern that will continue over and over. So far the only decent zone is the Fey Forrest. This may get better but its not a great sign when the first three hours of gameplay feels so boring transparent and low effort on the level designers part.

This was what totally killed it for me. I only made it to about level 5 or 6 and I already didn't give a flying fuck about the world, the NPCs or why they needed me to go and beat up 5 MobA's before asking me to beat up 5 MobB's. The quest dialogues were only a (very) small step above what I've seen in many F2P titles, and at least in those the translations are so bad they're unintentionally funny. To put it in perspective, it makes Rift's zones and NPCs look all-singing and all-dancing by comparison.

I was prepared to ignore the bunny girls and pedobears (even though I made a doggy with a monocle! why so serious?) and give it a fair go, but I really don't have the will to play through another paper-thin, half-assed, lifeless world.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: March 07, 2012, 01:36:04 PM

Apart from twitchy combat and T&A what are the unique selling points here?  Any endgame PVP like Lineage 2 to look forward to?
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: March 07, 2012, 06:09:21 PM

I already didn't give a flying fuck about the world, the NPCs or why they needed me to go and beat up 5 MobA's before asking me to beat up 5 MobB's.

These kind of criticisms show how people really do play these games for very different reasons. I mean, I have enjoyed WoW for how many years, and in that time I have never really cared why NPC X wanted me to kill Mob Y. I guess when I get down to my own motivations, I care about the layout of the world, the character designs and variety there, and mainly ... making my dude stronger. Getting him better pants. And the combat, it at least has to be kind of interesting. TERA gets the combat very right, and the aesthetic is ... well if not really tailor-made to my sensibilities, at least it is interesting, and has variety, and looks shiny for what it is. In fact I think SWTOR's trying so hard to make me care about the WHY of it all, actually got in the way of my enjoyment of the game, made the artificiality of it all stand out even more somehow. I'd prefer my questing system be a much more subdued guide to my path of carnage through the gameworld.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: March 08, 2012, 04:35:06 AM

Apart from twitchy combat and T&A what are the unique selling points here?  Any endgame PVP like Lineage 2 to look forward to?

No, pvp in this game is an after-thought. 
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: March 08, 2012, 04:39:05 AM

I've watched a couple of videos of people fighting BAM's, uh, that does not look fun.  Maybe the first 30 seconds or so where you figure out what animation signals when to dodge but the next 7-10 minutes of circle strafing just looks like hell.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: March 08, 2012, 05:49:02 AM

I already didn't give a flying fuck about the world, the NPCs or why they needed me to go and beat up 5 MobA's before asking me to beat up 5 MobB's.

These kind of criticisms show how people really do play these games for very different reasons. I mean, I have enjoyed WoW for how many years, and in that time I have never really cared why NPC X wanted me to kill Mob Y. I guess when I get down to my own motivations, I care about the layout of the world, the character designs and variety there, and mainly ... making my dude stronger. Getting him better pants. And the combat, it at least has to be kind of interesting. TERA gets the combat very right, and the aesthetic is ... well if not really tailor-made to my sensibilities, at least it is interesting, and has variety, and looks shiny for what it is. In fact I think SWTOR's trying so hard to make me care about the WHY of it all, actually got in the way of my enjoyment of the game, made the artificiality of it all stand out even more somehow. I'd prefer my questing system be a much more subdued guide to my path of carnage through the gameworld.

The thing is I used to be much more like you. The combat mechanics, the nuts and bolts of the game and character progression used to be much more important to me and it's only in the last couple of years (I think Rift was when I first consciously realised that how much immersion mattered to me) that it's changed. I'm not saying that those things are unimportant to me now or that immersion is the be all and end all, but these days I just need some sort of motivation to kill shit beyond "Go kill Woozles until you get 5 Woozles Foozles then bring them back to me and I'll give you loot."

After playing through the first few levels of TERA it honestly seemed like even the people writing the quests didn't care about them, so why should I? I used to think that this was just a F2P thing but now I'm guessing it's because (AFAIK) Koreans prefer to level through mob grinding and don't really care about the quests so the developers don't bother to put any effort into them.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: March 08, 2012, 06:07:29 AM

I've watched a couple of videos of people fighting BAM's, uh, that does not look fun.  Maybe the first 30 seconds or so where you figure out what animation signals when to dodge but the next 7-10 minutes of circle strafing just looks like hell.

That's essentially it. 

Also, this game isn't twitch, it's half twitch.  Animations root you in place or slow you down so you can't jump/move while attacking making the whole thing feel clunky.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #371 on: March 08, 2012, 08:27:12 AM

Also, this game isn't twitch, it's half twitch.  Animations root you in place or slow you down so you can't jump/move while attacking making the whole thing feel clunky.
That's fully present in "twitch" games as far as i can tell -- if it wasn't, there would be no counters- and counter-counters in beat-em ups, e.g. (and the whole risk/reward 'commit to the move' mechanics)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: March 08, 2012, 10:29:03 AM

Ok, don't call it "half-twitch", call it shitty game mechanics.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: March 08, 2012, 10:52:13 AM

Do you get bored of bosses in other MMOs as soon as you understand the mechanics? The fun isn't really in learning the tells/abilities, it's in executing the fight after you learn them. BAMs are essentially the entire focus of the Monster Hunter series, which is extremely popular. Just because you don't enjoy them doesn't mean that a lot of other people don't.

Watching someone fight a BAM (or even a dungeon/raid boss in any other MMO) isn't a similar experience to doing it yourself.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: March 08, 2012, 11:02:50 AM

Do you get bored of bosses in other MMOs as soon as you understand the mechanics?

Yes, its why I quit "raiding" over 5 years ago :P  Is it fun to go back week after week and perform the same dance routine you have already done 15+ times before?  Put your left foot in, pull your left foot out...do the hokey pokey and get out of the fire you f'ing moron!
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: March 08, 2012, 11:25:34 AM

Is it fun to do it the first time after you've read the strategy, your guild member tells you what to do, or an addon tells you exactly when each ability will hit?

There is a big difference between killing a BAM or dungeon/raid boss one time and killing that BAM or dungeon/raid boss 50 times. Learning the tells or knowing the 'dance' doesn't ruin what makes the fight fun, doing the fight 50 times does.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #376 on: March 08, 2012, 11:44:12 AM

I fucking hate choreography.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: March 08, 2012, 05:12:05 PM

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: March 08, 2012, 07:33:09 PM

Do you get bored of bosses in other MMOs as soon as you understand the mechanics?
Err, yes?  I guess that would be why all the bosses have different mechanics.

Grinding out 10+ minute fights again and again just seems, tedious.  Most games are going the other way, short fights that are over quick and then you move on to something different.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: March 08, 2012, 07:47:17 PM

•We've added more PvP rules with this update—it's now uncool to kill players 6+ levels lower than you. These players will now receive the red name of shame and their punishment will be left up to the community. ◦You will now earn Infamy Points for killing lower-level players—60 points for players 6-10 levels lower than you; 120 points for players 11 or more levels lower than you.
 ◦If you have even one Infamy Point, you will be labeled an outlaw.
◦We won't penalize you for being an outlaw (having Infamy Points), but the community may retaliate as it sees fit.
 ◦Infamy Points will diminish at a rate of one every five minutes. You can also work them down one at a time by killing monsters equal to your level or higher.

Wow, talk about useless lol
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #380 on: March 08, 2012, 08:14:42 PM

Hey, it worked in UO, right?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #381 on: March 08, 2012, 08:17:11 PM

It works perfectly.

In theory.

I was almost about to say something like "Well, 10 years ago it was all a different community and they would have done something about the filthy pks."  Then I caught myself being stupid for a minute there.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #382 on: March 08, 2012, 08:35:43 PM

These kind of criticisms show how people really do play these games for very different reasons.

No dude you are misunderstanding just how lifeless fake and thin the TERA zone design, mob camp design, loot tables etc. feel. There just is no effort involved in anything outside of your pc. None of the aggro mechanics are interesting, none of the mobs even come in a variety of types that do different things. I'll be playing this weekend and we'll see if the dungeons take some kind of huge leap out of mediocrity but I know better than to expect that.

Tera:
-The vistas are pretty.
-The armor is skimpy.
-The combat blows less ass than WoW/SWTOR/Rift et all.
-Nothing else is remarkable in any way. Actually its remarkable how unremarkable and bland everything else about Tera feels.

Facepalm You just shut up. This is so much better than Rift in every way in terms of combat.

Is this the perfect combat system? Not at all but its hardly the kind of half improvement that ends up being worse than where we started from.

◦We won't penalize you for being an outlaw (having Infamy Points), but the community may retaliate as it sees fit.
 ◦Infamy Points will diminish at a rate of one every five minutes. You can also work them down one at a time by killing monsters equal to your level or higher.

Wow, talk about useless lol

I'm not sure what you were expecting given that you mentioned Lineage but this does give a good idea of how tacked on any pvp system is going to end up feeling.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:37:56 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: March 09, 2012, 01:56:38 AM

Also, this game isn't twitch, it's half twitch.  Animations root you in place or slow you down so you can't jump/move while attacking making the whole thing feel clunky.

That's how most action games work.

Attacking not effecting movement at all is mostly a feature of jank PC games.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: March 09, 2012, 07:37:19 AM

That's how most action games work.

Attacking not effecting movement at all is mostly a feature of jank PC games.

Have you played Tera?  Compare combat from this game to your average FPS or DCUO or DDO.  It feels shitty.

Facepalm You just shut up. This is so much better than Rift in every way in terms of combat.

Is this the perfect combat system? Not at all but its hardly the kind of half improvement that ends up being worse than where we started from.

Rift, WOW, TOR etc all have the same combat system.  Are they good systems?  No, but hardly anyone plays these games for the combat system alone.  TERA is banking and marketing their games based on "Action Combat".  In my opinion, their action combat is crap.  Like I said above, compare the feel of this combat system to other online games, or if you want to do specifically MMOs, compare it to DCUO of DDO.  Hell, you can even compare it to Darkover.  It's just not great.

Even if you want to allow for animation rooting attacks, then they need to clean up a lot of their animations.  There are plenty of attacks on a few of the classes that sort of just lag or finish slow after damage is done and you're just standing there for a split second not able to move or control your character.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: TERA Online from Bluehole Studio  
Jump to: