Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:53:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Burnout Paradise - Criterion - 360 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Burnout Paradise - Criterion - 360  (Read 4661 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: February 24, 2009, 12:55:42 AM

Or "How I Learned to Live Without Crash Mode":

I hated the demo of this game.  Absolutely hated it.  The open world aspect of it, the lack of crash, the lack of offline multiplayer of any sort, and the pain in the ass of trying to divide my attention between the road and the compass, all made me decide that I was never going to pick this game up.  Most of my time with the last couple Burnout games was spent playing crash mode against my dad and my brother whenever my brother came into town.  The racing was entertaining enough, but not something I spent a lot of time with.  None of us picked up Paradise on release due to the previously mentioned omission of crash mode, but with the recent price drops (it's only $20) my dad picked it up since he didn't have much else to play at the moment.  He couldn't get into it so he passed it over to me.

I have to admit, I had gotten a little curious about this game in the year since it released.  The free content, the praise I'd heard people giving this game... what were people seeing in this game that I had either missed, or wasn't included in the demo?  The first thing I noticed when I started getting into it was that in a lot of ways this game reminded me of Burnout mixed with a lot of the console versions of the San Francisco Rush games.  Not just in regards to the various shortcuts, but in particular Paradise has this side game of having billboards scattered around the city you have to find ways to crash through, superjumps you have to complete, and a particular kind of gate you have to knockdown.  The billboards especially remind me a lot of trying to find the keys/soda cans/coins in the Rush games and then once you've found them, trying to figure out how you're supposed to jump into them.  It's a fun diversion for when you just feel like speeding around the town between doing events.

Once you get a couple new cars, the racing also seems a bit more forgiving than the demo.  I haven't lost too many races, because you can typically crash at least a couple times and still have a pretty good chance of winning the race.  The road rage events are almost too easy.  The first one I tried had a target number of two takedowns (causing the other drivers to crash) and I ended up getting 24 (including the achievement, which I think was for 10 takedowns in a row).  The stunt events are decently fun, marked man (getting from point A to point B without having your car totaled by the other drivers who are only out to get you) is somewhat dull, and I've only done a couple bike races, but they're not much different from the cars.  Each street has sort of a mini crash mode (although the gameplay isn't anything like the old crash mode), but I haven't really messed around with it much yet.

So it might not be the best Burnout game ever, but taken as it's own thing, it's pretty damn fun and it's got enough content to last a long fucking time.  That's not even counting the Party Pack, which I have yet to purchase.  Also haven't tried any of the online yet since I don't know anybody else who is playing this.  I've heard it's a blast though.  All in all, it's a lot of game for a pretty low price.

Buy It.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 02:10:29 AM

Well worth the money. Unlike just about everything else out there.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 05:22:47 AM

Thirded.  I picked this up for about 20 bucks a few months ago and it was well worth it.  Surprisingly fun game.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 01:56:26 PM

You're making me think twice here. I also fucking HATED the demo, with a passion, while I loved previous Burnout games.

Grr. Must investigate.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 04:32:54 PM

I love this game, but I still lament the failure to include a proper crash mode, since that's what I ended up playing the most in the previous versions.

That said, it's available for $20 or so now and if you have a PS3, you don't even have to leave the house - you can get it off PSN.  The tons of (largely free) post-release support via DLC is pretty impressive too.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:12:22 AM

Thirded.  I picked this up for about 20 bucks a few months ago and it was well worth it.  Surprisingly fun game.

Same here.  Bought it last month for $20 brand new, and I haven't regretted it for an instant, and I'm not usually a fan of racing games.  This series really deserves to be doing way better than it is.  It's a shame that it's lagging so far behind the Need for Speed franchise, which is basically just uninspired crap.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Burnout Paradise - Criterion - 360  
Jump to: