Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 11:06:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Resubbed - damn it's well done 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Resubbed - damn it's well done  (Read 108600 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #140 on: February 16, 2009, 04:10:21 PM

Goblins should get +10% to all vendor sales as their racial. That would be sweet.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #141 on: February 17, 2009, 11:15:55 AM

I remember reading an explanation about the goblins' Horde-centric involvement in the earlier wars by pointing out it was only one of the seven trade princes of Undermine that had his personal forces throw their lot in with the Horde.  Can't recall exactly where that came from though.

Although that doesn't explain them blowing themselves up, which seems massively out of character for goblins.  Of course, dwarves were doing the same thing too with their dwarven demolition teams.  I think the most logical assumption is that they didn't intentionally blow themselves up and they got out of the way as much as they could, but the game simply wasn't going to be bothered to show the unarmed remnants of a sapper/demo team that had expended their explosives.

The goblins in Storm Peaks blow themselves up. The powder kegs are strapped right on to them, it is definitely not a drop-it-and-run setup.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #142 on: February 17, 2009, 09:11:35 PM

What about the gnomes?

I can't help giving them a /pat whenever one of them helps me out.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: February 18, 2009, 11:18:39 PM

I highly doubt the Blood Elves would have had anything to do with the Forsaken.

The Blood Elves were saved from being over-run by the horde remnants by Forsaken intervention. That's why they have a military command at Tranquillen.

Although the actual armies seem to be absent and knocking over the local scourge can be done by a handful of level 20 novices.

Thrall lost to Garrosh as an indication of how shaman versus melee PvP would look in the expansion.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: February 19, 2009, 01:06:27 AM

Whose to say that some Forsaken aren't actually dead elves?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: February 19, 2009, 05:35:39 AM

The Plague itself is very specific to humans only, or at least, the original Plague of the Third War was.  It would kill many things, twist a lot of life, but only humans would be slain and raised automatically by the plague as the undead.  Other races had to be specifically handled in one manner or another.

Among the Forsaken, we know there are Banshees, and it's reasonably likely there's a few other elves or other races that were reanimated, but those are undoubtedly a rather small minority.  So yeah, some Forsaken are dead elves, but very few indeed.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: February 19, 2009, 07:54:46 AM

The bitch in charge is a dead elf!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: February 19, 2009, 08:08:42 AM

Sylvanas is more like a death knight than a banshee*.  She was killed and put indo a state of undeath by Arthas, but she kept her consciousness and will.  Arthas viewed it as punishment.  She couldn't resist doing what he told her to do, but she was aware of everything that had happened and what she was doing.  That backfired on Arthas when his grip on her weakened and she was able to break free of his control.

Yes in WC when she was killed, she became a banshee, but later on, se somehow got her body back.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: February 19, 2009, 08:28:12 AM

Sylvanas is more like a death knight than a banshee*.  She was killed and put indo a state of undeath by Arthas, but she kept her consciousness and will.  Arthas viewed it as punishment.  She couldn't resist doing what he told her to do, but she was aware of everything that had happened and what she was doing.  That backfired on Arthas when his grip on her weakened and she was able to break free of his control.

Yes in WC when she was killed, she became a banshee, but later on, se somehow got her body back.

Well, she found A body....poor nelf sylvy.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: February 19, 2009, 08:33:37 AM

Well, she found A body....poor nelf sylvy.

She got a helf body in WotLK.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #150 on: February 19, 2009, 11:33:20 AM

Sylvanas is more like a death knight ...

We know the bigoted evil Alliance would never accept one of those.  awesome, for real

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: February 19, 2009, 12:15:52 PM

The Plague itself is very specific to humans only, or at least, the original Plague of the Third War was.  It would kill many things, twist a lot of life, but only humans would be slain and raised automatically by the plague as the undead.  Other races had to be specifically handled in one manner or another.

Where's that from?  I was under the impression that it was a fairly broad agent, since the Scourge had used it to take over Northrend (deploying it against Nerubians, Trolls, et cetera).
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: February 19, 2009, 12:17:14 PM

Sylvanas is more like a death knight ...

We know the bigoted evil Alliance would never accept one of those.  awesome, for real

DK's lorewise seem more like conscripted mercenaries than members of either side, sort of like goblins in that regard.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #153 on: February 19, 2009, 01:37:45 PM

We all had to get notes from Tirion, too. And King Cockmonger totally threatened to kill me, but wanted to see wtf I was doing just all walking into SW like I owned the place. Also, I was threatened with lynching and shit.

Honestly, I wish they had done more with that. "Look, look, Tirion wrote a letter of recommendation!" shouldn't be enough to go from GET A ROPE to "So we're cool, now, right?"

God Save the Horn Players
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: February 19, 2009, 01:46:20 PM

There should still be sneering and the occasional thrown apple.  Greatly reduce the frequency to get it from becoming Billy stole my dolly levels of annoying, but remind the player their kind isn't completely welcome.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #155 on: February 19, 2009, 01:49:03 PM

And have the freqency go down as my rep changes. Also, I should've started at neutral instead of friendly. I know King Chucklehead yelled, "Bitches, be cool!" but that still shouldn't make them be all OMG BE MY FRIEND OKAY.

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: February 19, 2009, 04:04:51 PM

Hey, your totally underestimating how awesome Tirion is! If Tirion says your cool, your cool.  cool

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: February 19, 2009, 04:58:06 PM

Where's that from?  I was under the impression that it was a fairly broad agent, since the Scourge had used it to take over Northrend (deploying it against Nerubians, Trolls, et cetera).
Can't remember the source precisely, it may have been one of the RPG books or some other source.  I don't think I'm wrong, but I could be.  Originally he conjured the plague through direct power against the human settlements in Northrend, and possibly against some of the ice trolls, but as I remember reading it, only humans automatically come back as undead.  He also used his powerful mind control against anyone nearby, an aspect that's been played down and basically ignored in WoW (perhaps it was tied to the frozen throne itself, as it was supposed to be the crystal that expanded his psychic power, so by taking Arthas' body he lost the massive psionic ability).  The plague will kill pretty much anything, but then you have to spend direct effort raising them.  The nerubians were immune to both the plague and the Lich King's mind control, and had to be killed by direct means.  They were then raised through direct power into undeath.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: February 19, 2009, 05:42:26 PM

Can't remember the source precisely, it may have been one of the RPG books or some other source.  I don't think I'm wrong, but I could be.  Originally he conjured the plague through direct power against the human settlements in Northrend, and possibly against some of the ice trolls, but as I remember reading it, only humans automatically come back as undead.  He also used his powerful mind control against anyone nearby, an aspect that's been played down and basically ignored in WoW (perhaps it was tied to the frozen throne itself, as it was supposed to be the crystal that expanded his psychic power, so by taking Arthas' body he lost the massive psionic ability).  The plague will kill pretty much anything, but then you have to spend direct effort raising them.  The nerubians were immune to both the plague and the Lich King's mind control, and had to be killed by direct means.  They were then raised through direct power into undeath.

The Frozen Throne didn't augment his power.  It contained him because he had become just as powerful, if not more, that Kil'Jaedan.  Once he fused with Arthas, he basically became a god.

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: February 19, 2009, 06:37:05 PM

Ner'zhul's spirit was placed within a specially crafted block of diamond-hard ice gathered from the far reaches of the Twisting Nether. Encased within the frozen cask, Ner'zhul felt his consciousness expand ten thousand-fold.

While it's not specifically stated, the phrasing of the sentence has clear implications that the "ice" had something to do with the expansion of his psionic power, while simultaneously limiting him in other ways.  It's also reasonably logical; crystal is often associated with the increase of certain types of magical or psionic power in particular, and it came from the Nether itself, which is of course steeped in magical power.  Furthermore, if he retained the same level of psionic power as previously, he would reasonably be expected to be capable of controlling the vast majority of the forces of both Alliance and Horde that have landed in Northrend through it, or at least to be able to shift the allegiance of large units at any given moment, thus making it impossible to mount a coordinated war effort of any sort.

Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: February 19, 2009, 06:49:31 PM

Actually, I think you're misreading that statement.  I've never read that to say his consciousness was expanded due to the crystal, more that his consciousness was being expanded due to the fact that he was becoming the Lich King.  Also, while the Lich King is probably the single most powerful entity on the face of Azeroth, his ability to directly control entities is limited to the undead and the creatures with weak will.  Most of the life forms he enslaved in Northrend are fairiy primitive creatures.   If he could just enslave people, there would have no reason to kill the Nerubians in the first place, he could have just taken them over.    It's been shown that any creature with significant will can break free of his grasp, that was demonstrated in WC3 when Sylvanas betrayed Arthas. 

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: February 20, 2009, 10:12:54 AM

We all had to get notes from Tirion, too. And King Cockmonger totally threatened to kill me, but wanted to see wtf I was doing just all walking into SW like I owned the place. Also, I was threatened with lynching and shit.

Honestly, I wish they had done more with that. "Look, look, Tirion wrote a letter of recommendation!" shouldn't be enough to go from GET A ROPE to "So we're cool, now, right?"
That's another good example of the Alliance being the bad guys. Alliance version: "I should kill you where you stand". Horde version: "A death knight? Hmm...interesting"

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: February 20, 2009, 11:55:49 AM

That's another good example of the Alliance being the bad guys. Alliance version: "I should kill you where you stand". Horde version: "A death knight? Hmm...interesting"

When the heir to the throne kills his father, unleashes a undead and demonic horde on your people, and the proceeds to become one of the most powerful entities on that planet bent on wiping you out... I think you'd be a *teensy* bit suspicious if someone who looks like his minion shows up on your door.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: February 20, 2009, 02:08:27 PM

Except Stormwind spent most all of the third war hiding behind their stolen walls and hoping that someone else would stop the Scourge.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: February 20, 2009, 02:59:59 PM

You need to do more nerd lore'ing.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #165 on: February 20, 2009, 06:04:20 PM

We've gone from "The Alliance are evil mean bigots who turned on their old friends when they became undead!" to "Well the Alliance are evil mean bigots and I bet they would have turned on them if they weren't betrayed first!" all the way down to "Well the Alliance briefly talked kinda mean to a legion of undead death knights shortly before accepting them into their ranks!" so I'm not sure what else is left to nerd-debate.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: February 20, 2009, 06:30:07 PM

Jaina, hot or not?

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #167 on: February 20, 2009, 07:11:29 PM

Not. /topic.

Was Thrall faking that fight? He did have a full mana bar when it was interrupted....  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: February 24, 2009, 03:36:13 PM

Not. /topic.

Was Thrall faking that fight? He did have a full mana bar when it was interrupted....  Ohhhhh, I see.

Totally. There was a point to be made in a "hate leads to fear, fear leads to anger, anger leads to getting really pissed off and punching walls" kinda way.  Plus Saurfang would have waded in with a "Demon blood is bad, mmmkay!" lesson of his own and he would have totally bitchslapped wotshisname given half a chance.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: February 24, 2009, 05:52:45 PM

Not. /topic.

Totally. There was a point to be made in a "hate leads to fear, fear leads to anger, anger leads to getting really pissed off and punching walls" kinda way.  Plus Saurfang would have waded in with a "Demon blood is bad, mmmkay!" lesson of his own and he would have totally bitchslapped wotshisname given half a chance.

Dude, saurfang is going to whoop some ass in icecrown, mark my words you don't mess with a redneck orc like him.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #170 on: February 24, 2009, 06:02:28 PM

Not fighting properly leads to losing power, losing power leads to the hotheaded new boss running the Horde off a cliff. What was Thrall going to do if the Scourge hadn't interrupted the duel?

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #171 on: February 25, 2009, 06:41:56 AM

NS and smack faces. Duh  awesome, for real

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #172 on: February 25, 2009, 11:26:53 AM

Not fighting properly leads to losing power, losing power leads to the hotheaded new boss running the Horde off a cliff. What was Thrall going to do if the Scourge hadn't interrupted the duel?

IMO they're setting Garrosh up to pick up Frostmourne after the Arthas kill and go bad.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: February 25, 2009, 12:11:11 PM

Thrall only fought hellscream to test the boys conviction, it wasn't a battle to see who was right. Thrall could have punked him easily but he held back(duh) what I got out of the fight that thrall was hesitant to go to northrend since the undead were more or less not an orc issue and doing so would tax rescources heavily. In comes along hellscream saying he can lead it and thrall pretty much says "ok boy, prove it" and they duke it out but it was hardly a challenge of power, just a test of strength to lead.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #174 on: February 25, 2009, 02:30:48 PM

After the whole quest line about Arthas' heart was unsatisfactorily resolved, I began to think that we'll see little "Matthias Lehner" again in Icecrown and Arthas won't wind-up dead. Time will tell.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Resubbed - damn it's well done  
Jump to: