Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:24:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Patch 3.1 -Preview- 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patch 3.1 -Preview-  (Read 45197 times)
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #70 on: February 06, 2009, 11:17:05 AM

As opposed to the minigame now, which is cast cast cast wait for proc use proc use abilities that make spells manaless to extend the 5s cast time window.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: February 06, 2009, 11:19:30 AM

You can't really compare mage and priest mana mechanics though :p

I already stack int on my priest, if you're going after any other regen stat you're gimping yourself.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: February 06, 2009, 11:21:42 AM

As opposed to the minigame now, which is cast cast cast wait for proc use proc use abilities that make spells manaless to extend the 5s cast time window.

Yep. But I'm one of those that actually LIKES that. One-dimensionality is cathartic.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: February 06, 2009, 11:23:36 AM

Phbbt, I have a resto shaman. The difference between in five second and out of five second is like, 20 mp5.

My main issue with raid healing and mana regen:

Without replenishment, everyone struggles for mana and has to pay attention and abuse 5sr/water shield mechanics.

With replenishment, healers have infinite mana without really thinking about it.

That's a stupid mechanic.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: February 06, 2009, 11:26:34 AM

Replenishment is certainly a more logical target for a nerf than OO5SR regen. Though holydins could take a slap or two to their efficiency even without replenishment.

Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: February 06, 2009, 12:23:53 PM

it almost feels liek the 5sR mana regen changes are intended to help disco priests a little and hurt holy priests a little, thus making disco priests a little more desireable.

At least that's they way they seem to me (ex-holy and ex-shadow, now disco for life)
Gobbeldygook
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: February 06, 2009, 12:47:21 PM

You're right about that - I've done very little pvp since WOTLK because it seems just completely broken for hunters - although from complaints I've heard, many people say it's broken.
Since the last patch, hunters have been broken in the sense that they immediately hopped onto the list of specs everyone hates and prays gets nerfed to the ground.  The bitching mostly revolves around Lock & Load (Frost Trap and Serpent sting/Other Traps/ are on different internal cooldowns, so you get a LNL proc every 24 seconds when someone's on your frost trap and serpent sting procs now and then) and TNT (15% chance to get a well-timed mace stun whenever you fire an explosive shot) which add up to hunters randomly blowing people up.

A particularly well-known 2200 rated hunter was unaffected by the explosive shot hotfix nerf because it made him realize he'd been using rank 1 explosive shot since 70.  Then another one, widely regarded as one of the best hunters in the world in BC, said thanks because he'd been doing the same thing.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: February 06, 2009, 01:29:55 PM

Replenishment is going to be the mechanic they will give to the 'pure' DPS classes, so they will shut up about "why bring me when you can bring a class that can DPS AND HEAL AND TANK OMG!!!"

Instead of Tank/Heal/CC it'll be Tank/Heal/Replenishment

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: February 06, 2009, 01:33:15 PM

Right, but why bring a paladin for replenishment, when you can bring a dps that beats him by 10% and also provides replenishment?   awesome, for real
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: February 06, 2009, 01:42:35 PM

Right, but why bring a paladin for replenishment, when you can bring a dps that beats him by 10% and also provides replenishment?   awesome, for real

Blessings, honestly. But if you're already covered for all the key blessings, fuck em.

The issue pre patch was "the raid lacks replenishment, ditch some redundant dps for it or we're going to struggle through simple content"

Really, the entire issue boils down to "encounters are being built around replenishment, this is a stupid fucking mechanic and just giving it to everyone doesn't make it less stupid, just less tedious"
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: February 06, 2009, 01:42:58 PM

Because he can tank and heal omgz!  awesome, for real

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: February 06, 2009, 01:55:46 PM

I wouldn't trade our retardin for any other replenishment class except maybe a survival hunter. He kites zombies on gluth like a champion, and is a handy off-tank for 4hm. His DPS is a bit variable depending on raid comp, but he's definitely an example of "bring the player".

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #82 on: February 06, 2009, 04:11:40 PM

Mmmm, no ammo anymore, nom nom nom.

I read these complaints about hunters and I really, truly cannot understand them. My hunter's role is ranged dps. It's always BEEN ranged dps. It will always BE ranged dps. It's really rather good ranged dps, too.

Also, take the notion of "remove autoshot and then make the regular shots WAY MEANER" and shove it up your butt. I say that with love. But if I wanted to play a mage, I would play a fuckin' mage. And I hate playing mages.

God Save the Horn Players
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #83 on: February 06, 2009, 04:39:42 PM

Too bad Blizz balances you like a mage.  THAT is one of the wonderful  awesome, for real quotes from Ghostcrawler.  "We consider hunters to be casters."   Ohhhhh, I see.

The complaints stem from PVP play.  Like I said, death of 1000 papercuts works fine in PvE. In some ways it's what keeps hunters towards the top (misses mean less, if they happen.)  However it means your opponents just get to walk up to you and cleave you in 3 shots in pvp while you've shot them 14 times for 1/2 their health.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #84 on: February 06, 2009, 04:43:25 PM

My hunter's role is ranged dps. It's always BEEN ranged dps. It will always BE ranged dps. It's really rather good ranged dps, too.
It's actually a combination of melee+ranged phys dps, which is why they should be under rogues and above everything else but demo locks.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #85 on: February 06, 2009, 04:47:35 PM

My hunter's role is ranged dps. It's always BEEN ranged dps. It will always BE ranged dps. It's really rather good ranged dps, too.
It's actually a combination of melee+ranged phys dps, which is why they should be under rogues and above everything else but demo locks.

It is not a combination of melee+ranged. It's pretty much all ranged. You can't do shit worth a damn in melee.

EDIT: Also, I haven't PvP'd on my hunter in a long time, because they're trying to make people do arena, which I fucking hate. I'd just as soon not PvP. So if all these complaints are related to that, yeah, I dunno about that. But a lot of the complaints sound like they go for both - and like it or not, WoW is pretty much PvE first, PvP second.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 04:53:05 PM by Sjofn »

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: February 06, 2009, 04:48:25 PM

If your hunter is doing melee 'dps', you're doing it wrong.

Merusk: They also consider Mortal Strike to be a 'spell'. It's almost like Dev's use the terms in a different context.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #87 on: February 06, 2009, 04:50:33 PM

Fucksake, your PET.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #88 on: February 06, 2009, 04:50:58 PM

GC has several times in the last few weeks said that the 'pure' dps classes are mage, warlock, rogue, and hunter, and they want them to be all around the same numbers, all else being equal. Everyone else is supposed to be back a little, all else being equal.

In practice the better players typically do more damage regardless of class, except at the very high end of play where basically everyone is a good player with equal gear access.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #89 on: February 06, 2009, 04:55:03 PM

Fucksake, your PET.

Please, the pet is pretty much ranged too. I'M not in any danger while my pet chews on someone's ass.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #90 on: February 06, 2009, 05:01:43 PM

more stupidity

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

You have to hand it to him though. - every new post he just tops himself. Now I wish he would just go off and top himsef.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #91 on: February 06, 2009, 05:22:58 PM

Please, the pet is pretty much ranged too. I'M not in any danger while my pet chews on someone's ass.

Doesn't change the fact that it's at melee range. Also doesn't cover up your horrendously faulty memory  awesome, for real

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: February 06, 2009, 05:46:20 PM

No, it's an arrow that keeps stabbing the target.  It might be melee from the pet's perspective, but it's not from the Hunter's.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #93 on: February 06, 2009, 06:40:12 PM

Are we seriously gonna have this debate?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: February 06, 2009, 07:51:27 PM

Depends if you're going to agree with us or not. Grin

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: February 07, 2009, 04:00:19 AM

Are you really saying that a Hunter's pet does ranged attacks exclusively?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: February 07, 2009, 07:24:29 AM

No, it's an arrow Damage over Time spell that keeps stabbing hurting the target.  It might be melee from the pet's perspective, but it's not from the Hunter's player's.
Looking at it from design perspective, yes, I really am saying that.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: February 07, 2009, 07:53:40 AM

Is Lant really that far off? Pets have been considered DoTs since, like, forever.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #98 on: February 07, 2009, 08:06:20 AM

She is.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: February 07, 2009, 08:40:28 AM

Please elaborate then, because I can't wrap my head around it.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #100 on: February 07, 2009, 09:11:51 AM

Parry, dodge, mitigation, procs, positioning, avoidance, health, tanking, talents, pet talents.

Saying that a pet is a hunter's dot is as asinine as saying that a rogue is a priest's dot. Please stop pretending you're mentally challenged.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: February 07, 2009, 09:48:50 AM

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: February 07, 2009, 10:42:16 AM

You do realize that hunter pets fall under melee mechanics, not dot mechanics, right? That they can be parried, etc as was mentioned?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: February 07, 2009, 11:20:18 AM

Explain how putting the hunter pet on a target, puts the hunter into same level of 'danger' another melee class would.

The pets are fire and forget 90% of the time. They are DoTs with infinite duration and special bonuses. They are entirely expendable and revive-able with their own special avoidance, resist bonuses and healing bonuses. Losing a hunter pet is NOT comparable to an actual melee class dieing.

The fact this DoT stabs things instead of Ticks magical damage is irrelevant in reference to the hunters role as DPS and is not justification for 'always being on top' of the meters or whatever.

Using that ('pets are melee so are hunters') logic, Paladins and DeathKnights would be casters and my Balance druid would be a melee class thanks to my Tree's.

When you start dropping Mongoose bites on a boss for awesome damage, then you can wave the melee dps flag.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #104 on: February 07, 2009, 11:24:39 AM

Which is why the initial point is that hunters are melee+ranged hybrids, and, as such, should be below rogues.

Reading is hard, eh?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Patch 3.1 -Preview-  
Jump to: