Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:30:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Mythic Employees Forced onto Waaaaaaaghbulance 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mythic Employees Forced onto Waaaaaaaghbulance  (Read 117457 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

on: February 04, 2009, 09:25:25 AM

Word is EA Mythic will be losing somewhere between 60 to 70 employees today. Rumor has it that EA hasn't cut costs in downsizing and will be having meetings that may or may not include a real, live executioner. This isn't the typical shedding of low-level QA/CS that's been happening a round the industry. Though they're letting go of more CS, they're also letting go of designers, artists, programmers, and community management folks - including some senior level employees. But no actual management! It looks as though famed jackass Paul Barnett gets to keep his job.

Edit: I can confirm that the numbers being tossed around on other websites are wrong. Also, other rumors:

Mythic, as of right now, is NOT moving to Austin, despite rumors.
Mythic, as of right now, is NOT closing CS, despite rumors.
Mythic, as of right now, is NOT going to get folded into another company, despite rumors.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:43:24 AM by NiX »
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:44:17 AM

Too bad we can't have the F13 tradition of schild interviewing some of the formers after they get the axe.  Those were always fun times.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:46:20 AM

Too bad we can't have the F13 tradition of schild interviewing some of the formers after they get the axe.  Those were always fun times.
As someone else said it "Mythic executives aren't going to fire themselves." Since no one at EA is canning them yet, no such interview could exist. Also, what could the interview possibly amount to? Mark Jacobs has a GIANT HEAD and Paul Barnett is an egotistical, irresponsible, unprofessional jackass with a propensity towards being a sycophant?

Yea, not exactly the most surprising of interviews.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:48:40 AM

Remember back when Mythic was bought-out and we said, "You're doomed" only to have Mark come out and say "No, no, they're different now.  It won't go down like that. EA's changed!  They won't force us to release the game early and then slash jobs when things go south.  They're totally different now! They mean it this time!"

Yeah. 

So you say you ran into a wall, Sally? Pity.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:55:57 AM

Err, how much of that is EA vs Mythic's dated understanding of the genre?
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 09:56:48 AM

Does it really matter? Both places are clueless.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:11:25 AM

But it's the player's fault, I mean economy, I mean...
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 10:13:58 AM

But it's the player's fault, I mean economy, I mean...
New fish, do try to keep up, we don't do green anymore.

Also, he said that these were - in short - planned.

http://warhammerherald.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=607

That company desperately needs PR people.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 10:19:19 AM

I was going to mention this. Claiming this is their shift from launch to post-launch is, sadly, bullshit I think most fanboys will buy into.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 10:19:44 AM

Sad and not surprising.  Which is all the more sad.

For the record, I hope they turn WAR around so I can try it.  But I also hope someone will stab Paul Barnett with a canoe and I'm not sure which is the more likely to happen first.  I can't wait forever.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 10:26:12 AM

I was going to mention this. Claiming this is their shift from launch to post-launch is, sadly, bullshit I think most fanboys will buy into.

He can always get a job selling used cars if this doesn't work out for him.

"So tell me again why gas mileage doesn't matter um... Mark?"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 10:38:27 AM

What a sad turn of events. Small fish gets eaten by big fish. I wonder if they would have been better off just doing their own thing like they were.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 10:39:22 AM

Don't you typically use your spare dev staff after a launch to, you know, start new projects? I can't recall any company I've worked for being in a good place, releasing a product, and then saying "thanks guys, great work! Clean out your desks."
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 10:44:36 AM

You haven't worked for EA.

Over and out.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 11:02:29 AM

You could blame EA, but I recall Mark saying that Mythic was still his to run. Sometimes it hurts to open your mouth and say too much.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 11:26:59 AM

Since it hasn't been definitively pointed out yet, if Blizzard (and common sense) have taught us anything about staffing it's that once an MMO launches you should be resizing upwards. Mythic was trying to finish an MMO; now they're trying to finish an MMO and service millionsthousands of paying customers.

They still haven't made it out of the 90's era 'Make Game, Get Paid, Go Home' mentality.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 12:07:38 PM

TheyThe industry still hasn't made it out of the 90's era 'Make Game, Get Paid, Go Home' mentality.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 12:27:44 PM

Mark said recently Mythic weren't starting work on another game, as if that was a good thing.  Doesn't look that way now.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 12:38:14 PM

What a sad turn of events. Small fish gets eaten by big fish. I wonder if they would have been better off just doing their own thing like they were.
for whatever reason this statement was crosswired in my brain to the following imagry:

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 12:41:15 PM

Blame me too.  I still use green.  I'll quit, I promise.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 12:46:08 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 12:52:13 PM

What... the... fuck?

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 12:54:26 PM

he's now a vid-blogger, keep up.

PaulBarnettTM wacky celebrity is his main concern.  The self-promotion train is now leaving for all parts new-work.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 01:17:38 PM

I haven't even started to use green yet!  This sucks.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 01:21:14 PM

It was Mark's goal to keep growing and adding servers, not the other way around. Seriously, he had no clue the game would bomb like it did, he actually somehow thought this game would continue to grow like... that other game did...

So really, it makes sense that they kept so many extra people on the staff. They were all planning for a million+ subs at the end of Q4 and thus their spots in the office were justified.

But not anymore. Now it's being spun to sound like "Oh, we were totally planning on cutting all these jobs."

edit: Dragon Age actually sounds decent. That combined with D3 could be fun...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:22:54 PM by waffel »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 01:36:48 PM

Blame me too.  I still use green.  I'll quit, I promise.

What? When? How? How am I supposed to know sarcasm without color coding!

Seriously, when did we stop using green and why? Inquiring minds want to know and knowing is half the battle! Or is saying we're not using green yet more sarcasm that's not color coded? I'm so confused...

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 01:40:27 PM

Someone pointed out to Schild in one of the WAR threads that VN started using green for sarcasm, too.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 01:41:14 PM

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 01:42:25 PM

Dear god what the hell is that, and why is it not being burned with fire.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 01:46:34 PM

Somehow I don't think he's going to approve my comment.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 02:06:36 PM

I imagine you can make a comparison between Paul Bartnett and theatrics to explain his "success" the same way you could explain how theatrics applies to Chris Nolan's Batman.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 02:22:11 PM

Someone pointed out to Schild in one of the WAR threads that VN started using green for sarcasm, too.

Actually it was MMORPG.com forums I believe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 02:23:15 PM

It doesn't matter. We should be able to just read and figure out when something is sarcasm.

My opinion, if sarcasm isn't immediately recognizable, the writer sucks.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 02:34:20 PM

What?  No.

What?

If sarcasm isn't immediately recognizable, it's good sarcasm.  If your sarchasm is too shallow for anyone to fall into, what's the fucking point of it?  Just say 'bad things are dumb' and get it over with.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 02:35:45 PM

I always figured green text existed because readers suck. It's the like a giant neon sign that says "take a deep breath internet tough guy"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Mythic Employees Forced onto Waaaaaaaghbulance  
Jump to: