Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:28:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: "Fake-Out" Commercials rot your brain 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Fake-Out" Commercials rot your brain  (Read 50872 times)
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009, 09:18:29 AM

I found the best way to reduce cravings for bad food is to look at the nutrition information.  I'll give you three examples of things I was craving that I used to eat casually that made me stop giving a shit because I was horrified at their numbers: Chili's Chocolate Chip Paradise Pie, Applebee's Maple Butter Blondie, BJ's Oatmeal Raisin Pizookie. All of them are liable to make you gain a pound of fat THAT DAY just from having it. 

Those are desserts though, and I have had cravings for "fine dining." I was also thinking of picking up that Lasanga but I knew, KNEW that it would fuck me pretty bad. You really have to hate American restaurant and take-out nutrition if you want to lose weight and have a problem with eating at those places. I try to keep it to soup, smoothies (Odwala), simple veggie sandwiches (whole wheat bread), and just have that every couple of hours.

I hope it helps. I ballooned back up to 220 after Wrath hit (I blame Wrath!) but I'm trying to slowly work it back down by eating right. Avoiding anything that I can't get from my inhouse cafeteria or is from a restaurant goes a long way.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 09:25:08 AM

In the UK Pizza Hut has decided to rebrand themselves as Pasta Hut, I shit you not.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 09:27:38 AM

My biggest problem is that my wife keep bringing home Krispy Kremes.  I can avoid most everything else if I actually try.  After that it comes down to conveniece, and few things are as convenient as high fructose corn syrup molded into the shape of a favorite food.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 09:30:30 AM

Krispy Kreme glazed donuts are nice (I can manage one maybe two if I'm in the mood) but pretty much everything else they do tastes of powdered sugar and artificial flavours.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 09:31:40 AM

My biggest problem is that my wife keep bringing home Krispy Kremes.  I can avoid most everything else if I actually try.  After that it comes down to conveniece, and few things are as convenient as high fructose corn syrup molded into the shape of a favorite food.

God. Krispy Kreme is the manna of the gods.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 09:33:58 AM

One of the jobs my boy wants to have when he grows up is "donut maker" after a trip to Krispy Kreme to watch the machine in action.  Current alternates are P.E. Teacher (the whistle) and President (you can eat whatever you want).  I'd take any except P.E. Teacher.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 09:38:17 AM

Point out that he has to wear short shorts regarless of weather.  That might deter him somewhat.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 09:43:48 AM

One of the jobs my boy wants to have when he grows up is "donut maker" after a trip to Krispy Kreme to watch the machine in action.  Current alternates are P.E. Teacher (the whistle) and President (you can eat whatever you want).  I'd take any except P.E. Teacher.

Open a donut shop in Austin with coca cola and sprite flavored donuts. Yummmmmeh.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 09:45:29 AM

Maybe he could become President and open up his own donut shop. There' s probably a below-average sit-com in there at least.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 02, 2009, 09:46:45 AM

My biggest problem is that my wife keep bringing home Krispy Kremes.  I can avoid most everything else if I actually try.  After that it comes down to conveniece, and few things are as convenient as high fructose corn syrup molded into the shape of a favorite food.

Original Glazed Krispy Kreme Doughnut
Nutritional Facts
Serving Size 52g

Calories - 200
Calories from Fat - 100

Total Fat (g) - 12
% Daily Value - 18

Saturated Fat (g) - 6
% Daily Value -  29

Cholesterol (mg) - 5
Sodium (mg) - 95

Carbohydrates (g) - 22
% Daily Value - 7

Sugars (g) - 10

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #45 on: February 02, 2009, 10:04:22 AM

Are those bad numbers?  I figure if I eat ten of them, I'm done for the day.

schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: February 02, 2009, 10:22:08 AM

My biggest problem is that my wife keep bringing home Krispy Kremes.  I can avoid most everything else if I actually try.  After that it comes down to conveniece, and few things are as convenient as high fructose corn syrup molded into the shape of a favorite food.

Original Glazed Krispy Kreme Doughnut
Nutritional Facts
Serving Size 52g

Calories - 200
Calories from Fat - 100

Total Fat (g) - 12
% Daily Value - 18

Saturated Fat (g) - 6
% Daily Value -  29

Cholesterol (mg) - 5
Sodium (mg) - 95

Carbohydrates (g) - 22
% Daily Value - 7

Sugars (g) - 10
I'm fairly sure Yeg has the metabolism of a 12 year old. So I don't think that matters much.

However, I'd rather eat 10 of those than a crate of PH lasagna.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #47 on: February 02, 2009, 10:42:57 AM

I'm fairly sure Yeg has the metabolism of a 12 year old. So I don't think that matters much.

No longer.  Between May and October of 2008, I gained 20 pounds.  Fucking light switch.  Now I can't fit into most of my pants but refuse to buy larger ones out of stubbornness.  I've been 150-155 since early 20's and I refuse to admit that I'm 170+.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: February 02, 2009, 10:50:03 AM

No longer.  Between May and October of 2008, I gained 20 pounds.  Fucking light switch.  Now I can't fit into most of my pants but refuse to buy larger ones out of stubbornness.  I've been 150-155 since early 20's and I refuse to admit that I'm 170+.

I bought a large number of clothes when I was 200 (with new muscularity). I'm putting a halt to my weight gain before I outgrow my thin and my fat clothes. But I do want to fit into those pants again. The more knowledge I arm myself with about the unhealthiness of the food I eat, the easier it is. Knowledge is power, baby.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #49 on: February 02, 2009, 10:55:49 AM

I lost ~25 pounds just by cutting out saturated fat as much as I could manage after I got a bad cholesterol test. It is hard to stick with that though, I'm back up about 10 pounds from the low mark (~185 now, was ~175 and would really like to be around 165).

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: February 02, 2009, 12:58:06 PM

The grease is why Pizza Hut is so awesome.

Fuck that, Papa johns is way better.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 02, 2009, 01:12:59 PM

Using the Meat Lover's pizza (which is probably the greasiest pizza they have) for both franchises, Papa John's comes in at a respectable 3.5 g per slice of a medium pizza, but Pizza Hut has 7g. Does more Saturated Fat mean better grease? YOU DECIDE.

It really is fun to look up the nutritional information on this shit. Just eye-balling the numbers, Papa Johns seems to make healthier pizzas. Note that "healthier" is a relative comparison.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #52 on: February 02, 2009, 01:17:00 PM

Greasy pizza = you're doing it wrong. Living in a place that is heavily Italian (if you couldn't guess by my general trends in cooking) has lent me some strong opinions on pizza. Which are also correct opinions!

True story, people who fold pizza slices in half also fuck children.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 02, 2009, 01:20:23 PM

Using the Meat Lover's pizza (which is probably the greasiest pizza they have) for both franchises, Papa John's comes in at a respectable 3.5 g per slice of a medium pizza, but Pizza Hut has 7g. Does more Saturated Fat mean better grease? YOU DECIDE.

Tastes better too, and No "The shits" afterwords.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 02, 2009, 01:21:50 PM

I always hated Pizza Hut.  Their dough sucks compared to Pappa John's or Domino's, and I didn't much care for their cheese, either.  My favorite was a little place name Giovanni's that sold pizza in the local mall when growing up.  I haven't found anywhere that makes pizza like they did.  Not that it much matters since eating pizza guarantees I'll have a bad couple of days.

Dunkin Donuts is the best, too.  I can't stand Krispy Kreme.

Even though I've put on weight in the past year or so, people always ask how I stay so thin.  It's easy when your two choices are eat a regular diet and cause yourself massive pain and eventual malnutrition from a destroyed digestive tract, or don't eat.  Y'all should try it if you want to cut the calories.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 02, 2009, 01:42:08 PM

If you havn't eaten pizza from Jersey or New York you've never eaten pizza before.  Fucking Pizza Hut and Popa Johns can go fuck themselves.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #56 on: February 02, 2009, 01:50:28 PM

Lantyssa, don't forget the sauce. Such a crucial part.

Draegan, I'd include Chicago as a 'great pizza' town.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #57 on: February 02, 2009, 02:07:53 PM

Pizza Hut, Domino's, and all that shit can lick my ass. I'll eat the $5 pizza from Little Caesars if I want it NOW and CHEAP. If I want to spend just a couple bucks more and wait a few minutes while it's being made, there's a little privately-owned hole in the wall around here that puts everything else to shame.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #58 on: February 02, 2009, 03:52:52 PM

Pizza Hut is alright, but their dough is way too sweet due to all the sugar they put in it. Papa Johns is alright as well but I'm tired of it.

Me and my friends only get pizza from local places and some less known chains (monical's).

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #59 on: February 02, 2009, 05:19:24 PM

God. Krispy Kreme is the manna of the gods.
Going to a Krispy Kreme and stuffing your face with glazed donuts right off the line is Nirvana.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 02, 2009, 05:52:29 PM

Lantyssa, don't forget the sauce. Such a crucial part.

Draegan, I'd include Chicago as a 'great pizza' town.

Hmm maybe.  I've never eaten there and I've also heard it's good so I will concede to your point.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #61 on: February 02, 2009, 06:58:53 PM

It's a different style than New York, but  it's damn fine 'za.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: February 02, 2009, 07:14:24 PM

It's a different style than New York, but  it's damn fine 'za.

Comparing New York to Chicago style pizza is like comparing doughnuts to hamburgers. They have some things in common, but they are effectively two totally different groups of food.

I prefer the Chicago style myself, but I also am also somewhat biased by my geographical location.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #63 on: February 02, 2009, 08:08:12 PM

swamp poop awesome, for real   You've had some damn strange hamburgers or donuts, Chimpy.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #64 on: February 02, 2009, 08:26:17 PM

I grew up in NJ, and live near Chicago. Entirely different foods, I miss NJ/NY style pizza, it is impossible to get here. But a Giordanos/Eduardos/Malnatis(only on a good day) is amazing.

Weirdly, good NJ/NY style pizza can be found in Atlanta, but not Chicago style. (Oz Pizza, nice guys, crap locations)
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #65 on: February 02, 2009, 09:17:00 PM

swamp poop awesome, for real   You've had some damn strange hamburgers or donuts, Chimpy.

"Luther Burger"
, aka "Would you like a heart attack to go with that stroke?"

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #66 on: February 03, 2009, 05:37:52 AM

So what's the difference between "New York" and "Chicago" style pizzas?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #67 on: February 03, 2009, 05:52:08 AM

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 03, 2009, 06:50:43 AM

I don't think Chicago style has made it to the UK. While I've heard of it it looks more like a bastardised quiche than a pizza.

schild
Administrator

Reply #69 on: February 03, 2009, 06:58:29 AM

I don't think Chicago style has made it to the UK. While I've heard of it it looks more like a bastardised quiche than a pizza.

It's definitely pizza and not a quiche, but it's certainly capable of killing you the same way. Also, done right, it's fucking deliccccccious.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: "Fake-Out" Commercials rot your brain  
Jump to: