Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:58:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: "Fake-Out" Commercials rot your brain 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Fake-Out" Commercials rot your brain  (Read 50780 times)
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: February 25, 2009, 06:03:45 PM

Plus ancient man would probably have looked at something that looked like a giant booger and thought, "looks like food!" anyway. I somehow doubt most had a refined and delicate pallete. Hell beyond that oysters were pretty much stock snack food around Europe until the late 1800's.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #176 on: February 26, 2009, 09:37:30 AM

For ancient man, I'm pretty sure what didn't kill him got eaten again. Hell, our refined pallettes that scoff at offal bits of meat is only a century or two old at most. Medieval man would have eaten whatever he could find too.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #177 on: February 26, 2009, 11:30:50 AM

Modern man's palate isn't as refined as he might think it is. Look no further than a starving man.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #178 on: February 26, 2009, 12:09:43 PM

The line between civilized man and skull pounds rock for sustenance is very very thin.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #179 on: February 27, 2009, 03:46:06 PM

Oysters, however, (and clams) you can put down to mimicry of otters.  See what the animals eat without dying and know you can probably do the same.

Right, but it still had to be a dude who was dying or stupid. I mean, nobody looks at a raw oyster for the first time and thinks, mmmm. They think it looks like a giant booger.

Only if you look at it with your 20th/21st century 1st world mindset.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #180 on: February 27, 2009, 04:36:36 PM

Oysters, however, (and clams) you can put down to mimicry of otters.  See what the animals eat without dying and know you can probably do the same.

Right, but it still had to be a dude who was dying or stupid. I mean, nobody looks at a raw oyster for the first time and thinks, mmmm. They think it looks like a giant booger.

Only if you look at it with your 20th/21st century 1st world mindset.

I left my 5000 BC mindset in my carry-on.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #181 on: February 27, 2009, 07:59:46 PM

Shame you seem to have left your logic and perspective in there as well. Oh sorry, I forgot your special perspective on the development of man.

"a dude who was dying or stupid"  awesome, for real

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #182 on: February 27, 2009, 10:18:04 PM

Shame you seem to have left your logic and perspective in there as well. Oh sorry, I forgot your special perspective on the development of man.

"a dude who was dying or stupid"  awesome, for real

Yep, I'm not an anthropologist. I do get a joke when I see one though.

Btw, how the hell did we get on this topic from a comment that an oyster looks like a booger?  why so serious?

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: March 01, 2009, 07:20:41 PM

Advertisers don't think you're stupid. They have concrete proof, based on copious amounts of research, that you, me and everyone in America is clincally and terminally stupid.

I keep a rather long mental shit list of companies that feel the need to constantly insult my intelligence.

Not that it's personal, of course. But if your target audience for that car is "stupid people", then I'm not assuming it's a real peach of a deal.

Oh, and go fuck yourselves because really I'm just a lonely, ornery fucker watching a lot of TV.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #184 on: March 01, 2009, 09:55:30 PM

Advertisers don't think you're stupid. They have concrete proof, based on copious amounts of research, that you, me and everyone in America is clincally and terminally stupid.

I keep a rather long mental shit list of companies that feel the need to constantly insult my intelligence.

Not that it's personal, of course. But if your target audience for that car is "stupid people", then I'm not assuming it's a real peach of a deal.

Oh, and go fuck yourselves because really I'm just a lonely, ornery fucker watching a lot of TV.

Actually, I do the same thing. I'll never buy a Dodge or anything from Old Navy based on their ad campaigns. That's just the most offensive, but there's a long list that I can't stand based on ads. Verizon is on there too.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #185 on: March 02, 2009, 12:52:38 PM

Actually, I do the same thing. I'll never buy a Dodge or anything from Old Navy based on their ad campaigns. That's just the most offensive

Not even close.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #186 on: March 02, 2009, 04:18:07 PM

Head on was only 10s, despite being repetative.

Fran Drescher for Old Navy was WAY more annoying

The fact that it has Sawyer from LOST giving the queer-eye doesn't help either.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 04:20:33 PM by Paelos »

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #187 on: March 03, 2009, 07:23:16 AM

It may only have been 10s, but it was usually immediately followed by an annoying 10s commercial for ActivOn, FreedHem, PreferOn or RenewIn followed by another HeadOn commercial. Sometimes they would buy a minute of time to give viewers a triple punch at the start and the end of a commercial break.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: "Fake-Out" Commercials rot your brain  
Jump to: