Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:54:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Choppa and Slayer, now official 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Choppa and Slayer, now official  (Read 84462 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 01:52:07 AM

Mark crawled out from under his rock today to post on VN and is taking a fucking beating. Even the fanboys are lacing into him and the 'negative nancies' are posting in droves.

Link? I don't wanna wade around VN to find it myself. I never go there except to individual thread links.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #36 on: January 30, 2009, 02:30:45 AM

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 30, 2009, 03:35:40 AM

Take DaoC's history of decisions and changes over the years... now condense the odd 5-6 years of history there and play it out on fast forward. That's WAR.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 04:37:34 AM

Thanks. :)

Man, what a fucking mess. I've almost had my fill of schadenfreude. Almost.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 05:31:28 AM

He just doesn't get it. The one thing people want (ORvR) he won't provide. And the one thing people don't want (PvE), he backs the truck up and dumps all over them. Is he that stupid or does he simply go around all day with his fingers in his ears going 'LALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU  LALALALALALA'

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 06:11:22 AM

The game's fate as an also-ran flop was basically sealed a long time ago. Nothing he does now matters anyway.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 08:06:18 AM

I don't know how good of an indication of MMO game health this is, but as of 11 AM Eastern US time there are 2 "medium" population servers for WAR.  WOW has at least 50% that are medium or better. 

The kicker is that it probably isn't the best advertising for Mythic to have all their servers at "low" population at any time during the day.

The game does possibly have a role as a niche game, however I don't think EA will let it last that long, given the resources necessary to keep it going.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 08:54:36 AM

I was waiting for the announcement yesterday in hopes they planned to make changes to T4/RVR and wasnt very happy.  Hard to wrap logic around adding new content and new classes when existing content needs fixing and is lacking and classes need work still.  Im not sure why he wouldnt expect to have people jump down his throat for posting info on expanding the game before they talk about game improving the existing game. I guess it tells me they would rather dump resources into "future" stuff rather then the existing issues which for some reason dont appear to be that high a priority.  Im sure many subscribers were holding out for yesterdays announcement were also disappointed. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 09:06:17 AM

Quote from: bobbank
Let me tell you (Mark Jacobs) how I know that you are being dishonest with us.

During Beta, and on through the release of your game, an entire racial pairing did not work. It was impossible to lock Dragonwake. That's 1/3 of your games oRvR content, something you claim Jeff H. & team is "fixated" on, completely removed from the game. This bug was confirmed across ALL servers. It was reported on a daily basis by players across the world for MONTHS.

Finally, it was addressed, but only months later. Here is what common sense tells me: if there had been even one person *participating in* T4 RvR at Mythic, let alone an entire development team fixated on it as you claim, there is no way in hell that it would have taken them months to realize that a full 1/3 of their endgame, an entire racial pairing, was not working.

I wouldn't need to explain again and again that you have never properly designed your scenario queue logic, and because the queue always favors certain zones, and because those zones cannot be locked without scenarios, this effectively results in a situation (now) where ONLY the elf racial pairing is playable most of the time, on most servers.

I wouldn't need to explain why prior zone contribution is a patently failed idea - one that sounded good in theory but one which, in practice, results in a bizarre situation in which the ebb and flow of WAR's campaign is *completely* dictated by what happens in T3, and T3 alone. (Speaking of which, on Monolith T3 Empire v. Chaos has been bugged for months now, in a way which results in a UI display issue, but which also results in permanently assigning 66/100 points to Destro, and not rewarding more than 1 or 2 points when Order takes Keeps. That's fun! Not sure how many more 1,000's of bug reports the Monolith community will need to provide before that gets acknowledged.)

So, no. Don't believe you. Don't think there is a team "fixated" on RvR.

I think RvR is, strangely, a total afterthought for you, and by extension the team(s) you manage. You are "fixated" on new toys and whatever will sound appealing from the marketing standpoint, to the extent that you almost seem to have gone out of your way to avoid addressing core problems or longstanding issues.

You are fond of using the rhetorical device "I don't know of any other major mmo that..", so here's one for you:

I don't know of any other major mmo that would have a *player* character model running around WITHOUT LEGS for nearly half a year. It doesn't effect gameplay, but it's a damning indicator of how little attention you or anyone at your office is paying to the game you already have, and the numerous problems with it.

From here out I think I'll fixate myself on shooting down your hype and falsehoods, tbh. You are fond of saying that you expect your subscribers to keep you honest. But I don't think you mean that either.

I found a few posts like this that seemed to do a decent job of spelling out the things that have irritated me with WAR.  Sure, they could have been more succinct, but the general theme fits with much of what we have all experienced. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
GoodIdea
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 30, 2009, 09:40:27 AM

Yup along with four cities which is what REALLY needs to be done to have any kind of decent endgame.

Adding more cities is a terrible idea. City siege is really not that exciting at all at this point (it's more fun getting there tbh), until they make city sieges more fun, there is absolutely no point in adding more cities to the mix.

This is crap.  they need to get rid of the cap time totally.  There is no reason to sit there and "defend" for 30 minutes.  This actually encourages keep and BO swapping.  Why bother with a crappy capped BO when you can go get renown from one that isn't already defended?

Actually, the waiting period is there to promote RVR and it stops people from BO swapping. When we're going for zone control, if a BO gets taken, the 3 minutes gives us time to ride out and attack the enemy. If there was no waiting time, we'd never catch them or never have the ability to stop them from taking it. I kind of worry about the 30 minute waiting time, I haven't heard that and I hope nothing like that will be implemented.

Could somebody who is following the game still please explain why they have a lockout timer on PvE content. Is there some sort of uber loot that drops in there and this is just a Verant-style cockblock they put in to slow people down?
The 3 minute timer to cap it is to promote RVR and allow people who want to gain zone control enough time to respond. The 15 minute lock out timer is so that BOs aren't flipped too quickly, so that people who want to lock zones can actually do it without having tonnes of people on each objective (important for low pop realm).

Also so you don't have agreements between order and destro and have ultra-efficient groups flipping BOs back and forth every 20 seconds during the day, just to get to RR80. I'm 100% sure people would do this. Waiting 15 minutes between each cap is just too boring for most people to wait around, even if there was some sort of cross faction agreement.

That and what happens if critical mass crashes the server?  Yay... another 30 mins to wait!  So you either get a long wait, a long wait with terrible framerate, or server crashes.  I don't see a WIN in the list.

I've never seen 800 people at a BO. Remember there are 4 BOs and 2 keeps in every zone and the zone is huge. A single zone could easily hold all of the people in T4, without lag. I doubt this will be a problem.

Let's put it this way- the dungeons represent the traditional way of gearing up that everyone knows from WoW. You do them with 5 friends. The PVP sets are gotten from complete random crapshoots that you'll split with any amount of people from 15 to 150. And they're worse. We took a newly minted 40 shaman to BR/BW and he got 4 of 6 Sent pieces in an hour and a half. I've been capping keeps for the past month and I've got a crappy helmet.

My guild has farmed the Invader set (the best set without killing city bosses) for almost everyone from three city sieges now. There was never a need to do anything but RVR/PVP if you didn't want to.

I was waiting for the announcement yesterday in hopes they planned to make changes to T4/RVR and wasnt very happy.  Hard to wrap logic around adding new content and new classes when existing content needs fixing and is lacking and classes need work still.  Im not sure why he wouldnt expect to have people jump down his throat for posting info on expanding the game before they talk about game improving the existing game. I guess it tells me they would rather dump resources into "future" stuff rather then the existing issues which for some reason dont appear to be that high a priority.  Im sure many subscribers were holding out for yesterdays announcement were also disappointed. 

They said they were making lots of changes to T4 RVR, in addition to their new content.

Regarding the expansion in general, if they announced a patch with just "changes in RVR", this would not get people back into the game, adding new classes does renew the interest in the game for many people. It gives people an excuse to "just to check the new classes out". Once they come back I think a lot of people will like what they have done with the game since they left, it's much improved imo.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:45:18 AM by GoodIdea »
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 30, 2009, 10:05:05 AM

Final nail in the coffin for many folks...

An expansion that will come out not even 8-9 months after release? On an updated sked are we? Two new playable classes right after two new playable classes (both of which cut in beta, not really NEW)?

You know why he says Fort crashes are down? Because servers cant lock their fucking zones you dumbfuck!! Linky: http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning_general_board/b22997/110110942/p1/?18

15+ pages of tweaks and "fixes" should scare anyone enough to think "oh fuck, here we go." Then again, if folks are still paying to play this garbage they deserve all the grief that is coming to them, they have been more then warned.

He should have come out and said "we are fixing T4" and left it at that, all this marketing and fluff will not fool most of the gamers these days.

ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 30, 2009, 11:23:38 AM

My guild has farmed the Invader set (the best set without killing city bosses) for almost everyone from three city sieges now. There was never a need to do anything but RVR/PVP if you didn't want to.
Well that sounds great so long as you're playing on a server that has city sieges. I think there's been one total on Praag, which is fairly balanced population-wise so excuse us for not having reached that far yet. You won't have to switch your playing style, maybe just your playing server!

On my server, you're either wearing crap from PVP or good gear from PVE.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 11:27:46 AM

Simple fix is to remove the importance of gear from PvP.  Not sure why Planetside is the only one to learn this lesson.  DAoC came close allowing crafted gear and easily obtainable quest drops to do the trick, but Mythic seems to have forgotten about that bit. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 11:39:06 AM

Simple fix is to remove the importance of gear from PvP.  Not sure why Planetside is the only one to learn this lesson.  DAoC came close allowing crafted gear and easily obtainable quest drops to do the trick, but Mythic seems to have forgotten about that bit. 

I think Mark said in one of his posts yesterday that more craftable gear is coming.  I fail to see gear as a problem, its easy to get full annihilator if you are attending keep sieges.  Actually, boots you can get as drop or buy them and gloves come from vendor so all you have to get is 3 pieces from keeps which isnt hard TBH. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #49 on: January 30, 2009, 11:51:37 AM

I don't really see gear as a huge issue, either.  I even somewhat enjoyed that part of WOW, even though it is trashed for being so gear dependent. 

The bottom line on what is missing from this game is the "fun" aspects.  I'm not sure exactly what it is that is missing but the game is exceedingly complex for a game that most folks just want to be about PVP.  At this stage, after tooling around solo a bit during the middle of the day and getting continually mowed down by groups in the lakes the thing I have decided iis that I really hate the group-centric PVP vs. the 1V1 PVP that you see in other games.  1V1 PVP is much faster paced and you really have to plan well to stay alive.  In this game I can spend 3 minutes chasing a single person around the lakes and never kill them.  That is, frankly, a big snoozer for me. 

That being said, they have what is an unsurmountable issue in the mechanics of this game.  Maybe instancing is the way to go- I'm not really sure why instancing is so terrible.  As long as people have human instincts and behave as humans do there will continue to be a zerginess to this game that turns off a good number of people.  Still, there is a niche for this I suppose.

Edit for readability swamp poop
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:53:10 AM by ghost »
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 30, 2009, 12:08:28 PM

What 1v1 games are you referring to out of curiosity that have 1v1 RvR? I find WOW and WO to be very similar in regards to the pvp I see.  In WOW, PVP was mostly BG's, but most of the time was group or at least multiple players involved, rarely did I see or get into 1v1 battles.  In fact arenas in WOW were minimum 2 players.  I played a rogue in WOW and a WH in WO and if I want 1v1 I go find it.  When I wanted 1v1 in WOW I had to go find it.  I estimate in WH 80% of my game is group or at least multi-player pvp, the other 20% is solo.  I could certainly change that cause if I want 1v1 more often I have ways to make it happen :)
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 30, 2009, 12:17:38 PM

I find it hillarious that someone made a poll on VN a week ago asking What should be Mythic's top priority

After a week of voting, 3% voted for new classes/content. 18 people out of 502.

Mark even had the balls to post on the thread today to say the poll wasn't created by Mythic.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #52 on: January 30, 2009, 12:21:44 PM

What 1v1 games are you referring to out of curiosity that have 1v1 RvR? I find WOW and WO to be very similar in regards to the pvp I see.  In WOW, PVP was mostly BG's, but most of the time was group or at least multiple players involved, rarely did I see or get into 1v1 battles.  In fact arenas in WOW were minimum 2 players.  I played a rogue in WOW and a WH in WO and if I want 1v1 I go find it.  When I wanted 1v1 in WOW I had to go find it.  I estimate in WH 80% of my game is group or at least multi-player pvp, the other 20% is solo.  I could certainly change that cause if I want 1v1 more often I have ways to make it happen :)

WOW has the reputation for being more 1v1 balanced.  Maybe you missed that.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 30, 2009, 12:45:28 PM

I find it hillarious that someone made a poll on VN a week ago asking What should be Mythic's top priority

Mark even had the balls to post on the thread today to say the poll wasn't created by Mythic.

Mark used to like to brag about all the awesome feedback Mythic was able to get without having official boards, so no doubt their super sekrit internal feedback polls had reintroducing cut new classes as the #1 priority.

Or they had already put so much work into the classes before they were cut that they figured they'd just finish them and call them 'new'.

Over and out.
schild
Administrator

Reply #54 on: January 30, 2009, 01:11:55 PM

You know as well as I that the results of polls don't matter, but rather the source of the polls.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 30, 2009, 01:21:38 PM

It's all just smoke and mirrors. "Hey look at these two new classes you can start completely the fuck over with so that we have more time to not listen to constructive critisism and continue to pull assine solutions out of our asses to try to fix our obviously broken game."

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #56 on: January 30, 2009, 03:02:12 PM

I have been waiting for a chance to use this photo for something.   In this picture I am playing the part of Mythic/Jacobs.  Downstream to the left and off the photo are the players. why so serious?

ok bit of a stretch but dammit I was itching to use this photo of me being very mature and acting my age and all

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 30, 2009, 04:18:12 PM

It's ok. It just needs some 'shop.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 30, 2009, 05:49:57 PM

What planet are you from?   First, it was enhance shamans, then it was affliction warlocks, and now it's ret paladins, rogues, and death knights.  If you are saying that reliative to WAR, WoW was more 1v1 balanced, I could see that, but WoW is definitely not balanced for 1 vs 1.

Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 30, 2009, 05:50:34 PM

It's ok. It just needs some 'shop.

Epic win.   

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #60 on: January 30, 2009, 06:21:14 PM

What planet are you from?   First, it was enhance shamans, then it was affliction warlocks, and now it's ret paladins, rogues, and death knights.  If you are saying that reliative to WAR, WoW was more 1v1 balanced, I could see that, but WoW is definitely not balanced for 1 vs 1.

Mmmmmm, Warhammer is set up so that the toons depend more on grouping than in WOW.  I'm not saying that the balance is perfect.  They just have more interest in the 1V1 mechanics than WAR does, or probably more precisely, WAR is set up to require you to work in larger groups to PVP.  That is all from the Mythic stuff I have read.  Maybe  you saw something else on your planet.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 30, 2009, 06:27:38 PM

Mmmmmm, Warhammer is set up so that the toons depend more on grouping than in WOW.  I'm not saying that the balance is perfect.  They just have more interest in the 1V1 mechanics than WAR does, or probably more precisely, WAR is set up to require you to work in larger groups to PVP.  That is all from the Mythic stuff I have read.  Maybe  you saw something else on your planet.

I did, in the form of the nightmare that is the 2vs2 Arena. 

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #62 on: January 30, 2009, 06:30:20 PM

I did, in the form of the nightmare that is the 2vs2 Arena. 

Yeah.  We're talking about the same thing, really.  My initial statement was a little vague.  What I meant was that WOW shoots for more individual balance.  Whether they get there or not is a different story.  WAR has some sort of weird "group balance" thing going on that sounds like it is out of some sort of 70s swingers club. 
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: January 30, 2009, 06:45:29 PM

I'll agree with that, as the introduction of the Arena necessitated that Blizzard take a finer grained approach to their PvP balance as opposed to WAR's methods.  The only problem is that Kaplan seems to punish the overpowered characters by letting them remain very weak for a long time...

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #64 on: January 30, 2009, 06:54:52 PM

Yeah, it sucks with some of the imbalances in WOW and I should have worded that better, but I think that even with the imbalances the PVP is more interesting than WAR is currently.  It just feels like all the classes are exactly the same and it takes forever to kill anything.  It makes for a very slow feeling game in my opinion.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 30, 2009, 07:31:31 PM

MJ,

Put BOs around the keeps within long-range seige weaponry range ... like DAoC

Give them all defensible interiors (not an unprotected rock you stand around) ... like DAoC

Make them worth taking and holding to fire trebs and siege from, and even around on the grounds ... like DAoC

Make walls destructible, repairable and climbable ... like DAoC

Let seige weapons all be moveable and placed wherever players want, roll up to doors, pick up and use again, in any numbers they want ... like DAoC

Make tangible items like, oh I don't know, RELICS maybe?, that both sides covet for bonuses and access priviledges ... like DAoC

Make one of those ultimate access priviledges for owning all the relics be city seige access (ala Darkness Falls access) ... like DAoC

Make scouting and strategy worth doing ... like DAoC

(see a trend here?)

Mark, see all this stuff your had almost 8 years ago? That people keep telling you they loved and miss? You can read, right?

F13 forums gave you a goldmine of advice a few months ago which you seemed to understand but apparently you haven't done one goddamn thing the consensus of a lot of smart people here pretty much uniformly advised you to do.

Please just kill WAR and modernize the spirit and gameplay of what made DAoC RvR so great pre-ToA into a new game that we *will* play and enjoy.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:33:25 PM by Redgiant »

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
schild
Administrator

Reply #66 on: January 30, 2009, 07:46:24 PM

MJ,

Put BOs around the keeps within long-range seige weaponry range ... like DAoC

Give them all defensible interiors (not an unprotected rock you stand around) ... like DAoC

Make them worth taking and holding to fire trebs and siege from, and even around on the grounds ... like DAoC

Make walls destructible, repairable and climbable ... like DAoC

Let seige weapons all be moveable and placed wherever players want, roll up to doors, pick up and use again, in any numbers they want ... like DAoC

Make tangible items like, oh I don't know, RELICS maybe?, that both sides covet for bonuses and access priviledges ... like DAoC

Make one of those ultimate access priviledges for owning all the relics be city seige access (ala Darkness Falls access) ... like DAoC

Make scouting and strategy worth doing ... like DAoC

(see a trend here?)

Mark, see all this stuff your had almost 8 years ago? That people keep telling you they loved and miss? You can read, right?

F13 forums gave you a goldmine of advice a few months ago which you seemed to understand but apparently you haven't done one goddamn thing the consensus of a lot of smart people here pretty much uniformly advised you to do.

Please just kill WAR and modernize the spirit and gameplay of what made DAoC RvR so great pre-ToA into a new game that we *will* play and enjoy.

Fuck. Stop it.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #67 on: January 30, 2009, 08:30:57 PM

Mark don't live here no more.

ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: January 31, 2009, 12:40:28 AM

I fail to see gear as a problem, its easy to get full annihilator if you are attending keep sieges.
swamp poop

Maybe I have yet to master the mechanics of completely random yet.  But the ability to easily get the worst set of the lot would certainly be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 12:43:02 AM by ashrik »
Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 31, 2009, 05:22:32 AM

Gear is very very easy to get through PvE. The dungeons are short, and the bosses easy. So you can get the second best stuff  (sentinel) very easily if you do PvE. However, the PvP equivalent (conqueror) is almost impossible to get, since you need to;

a) Kill a fortress lord
b) be there for the kill
c) actually roll and win the bag (when there's hundreds of other guys there)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Choppa and Slayer, now official  
Jump to: