Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:25:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Blood and Guts: A History of Surgery 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood and Guts: A History of Surgery  (Read 2098 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: January 20, 2009, 05:53:50 AM

I've been watching this show and enjoying it - the surgery bits are an exercise in what might bother you. I've been using it to work on my squeamishness levels a bit.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It's a five episode show focusing on five different types of surgery and how they were developed. Thus far I've seen brain surgery (do you really want a showman lobotomist?), heart surgery (see the host squeal like a girl on entering near freezing water) and organ transplants (a Nazi supporter got the basics down). Obviously if you don't like blood and guts, this isn't the show for you, but it is fascinating viewing to see what saves lives today required the deaths of a lot of people, or what kind of person you have to be to discover / perfect some of these things or how some things were just lucky shots.

If it's on, take a watch.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 07:54:43 AM

I kinda dig this show for some reason. 

It's weird.  If I'm watching something that is educational or whatever, I'm fine with it.  But the minute it turns to something 'bad' happening to someone (like some guy having his brains splattered across the wall), I'm a half a second away from chucking my cookies everywhere. 

The context of the situation totally controls my squeamish levels.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 05:56:44 AM

Bastards.

I knew they'd do it, but... bastards.

The episode on the history of plastic surgery was too much. I held out and watched until the WWII burn victims and the girl in the car crash / fire, but had to look away a lot at that point. Fascinating to learn about, but I couldn't take that section in what was a parade of facial deformities.

Funnily enough, I recognised the guy who had the first full face skin graft as someone they based a model on in BioShock.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Blood and Guts: A History of Surgery  
Jump to: