Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:31:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dragonball: Evolution 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dragonball: Evolution  (Read 18795 times)
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 07:21:57 AM

While I'm sure the casting guy thought he'd convey the right level of emotional detachment for Spike I feel I need to be one of the first to say that cool and withdraw |= wooden stoner.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #36 on: February 28, 2009, 07:30:26 AM

Yeah Spike's detached in a different way than Keanu.

Although, and I'm not ashamed to say it, but Keanu never fucks anything up as far as I'm concerned. He's so perfectly wooden that he simply does not get in the way. Neither here or there. And when the writing is smart-assy, his wooden delivery comes off as clever cynicism.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #37 on: February 28, 2009, 07:47:49 AM

Wow. That video looked shittastic.

And I have fond memories of Dragonball too.

I mean, the show wasn't that great, but while watching it this cute MP started hitting on me and then we went back to his room to fuck.

Oh, well. Looks like it needs more skin. And while I'm not expecting superior acting quality from a Dball movie, it seemed to be...lacking passion.

Also.....BALLS. hehe

(i'm drunk)

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: February 28, 2009, 02:40:16 PM

On an anime note, I read that Keanu is going to do a live action Bebop adaptation.

I am actually OK with that.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #39 on: February 28, 2009, 04:41:04 PM

He'd make a perfect Ein.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #40 on: February 28, 2009, 10:32:13 PM

Haha that's witty. Wait. No.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #41 on: March 01, 2009, 05:12:41 AM

You've gotta admit, physically, there aren't many actors who resemble him as well (not in the western hemisphere at least).

Ein, not so much.

schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: March 01, 2009, 01:14:58 PM

If Christian Bale can pull off an acceptable Batman, Keanu can pull off an acceptable Spike.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #43 on: March 01, 2009, 01:26:08 PM

Every time Christian Bale opened his mouth and tried to make a deep voice, he failed miserably. You're saying that Keanu will be great in the role as long as he doesn't deliver a single line, then?

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #44 on: March 01, 2009, 01:46:07 PM

I don't think he failed miserably. Maybe a couple of times it sounded funny, but you're a being a bit dramatic.
schild
Administrator

Reply #45 on: March 01, 2009, 03:11:52 PM

I don't think he failed miserably. Maybe a couple of times it sounded funny, but you're a being a bit dramatic.
This.

Spike never spoke that much anyway and Keanu looks the part.

If he plays it halfway between Constantine and Klattu, he'll be fine.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #46 on: March 01, 2009, 03:48:43 PM

It's actually pretty funny just how many movies Keanu has made and how different most of them are from each other, and how many of them are generally considered at least decent, even while he himself is generally looked down on as an actor. I don't think there's anyone else like that.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 12:41:10 AM

I respect Keanu's career. People give him shit but I like it when he's in a movie.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 04:35:47 AM

Stray and Lorekeep:

I put him and Mark Wahlberg in the same category: Worthy of popcorn.

I could watch almost any of either of their movies any (and every) day of the week.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #49 on: March 02, 2009, 06:37:39 AM

I think they're almost opposites actually. Keanu's a not so good actor who picks decent scripts, especially of the popcorn variety. The Matrix alone puts him somewhere else. In my mind at least, there's only like 2 or 3 sci-fi movies as good as it. The rest of his action stuff is entertaining, even Point Break. While Wahlberg is a good actor who doesn't always know a good script - and I've yet to like his popcorn movies. I can barely make it through them. He shines in stuff like Boogie Nights, Departed, or Basketball Diaries, and I wouldn't be surprised if won a bunch of awards one day.
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #50 on: March 02, 2009, 08:24:58 AM

[edit] Phoebe Cates is older than Abe too. Still beautiful. Kevin Kline is a lucky bastard. Whoever is shagging Tilly is a lucky bastard too.

As an aside....Phoebe runs a boutique in Manhattan. First time my wife and I walked in, while living in NY, and I realized who it was, then thought of her in the fantasy scene, then stopped breathing...my wife thought it was "cute." 

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #51 on: March 02, 2009, 08:47:07 AM

Shitty anime becomes shitty movie. Doomed from the word go.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #52 on: March 02, 2009, 09:09:20 AM

I can understand not liking it, believe me, but it's not really a shitty anime. Doomed is hardly the word. It's popular across the world, and generates more cash than most things, from Japan or otherwise. Since you like paying attention to numbers a lot, it's a multi billion dollar franchise. The entire lineup of "Shonen Jump" stuff makes an assload of money (Naruto, Bleach, Yu-Gi-Oh, Dragonball, One Piece, Death Note, etc), and Dragonball is just one thing that's made something like $4 billion. Things like Star Wars, Disney, and Pokemon top it, but not much else.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:41:10 AM by Stray »
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #53 on: March 02, 2009, 11:23:43 AM

Stray, don't be silly.

Obvious troll is obvious. I abjure thee and all thy works, demon.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #54 on: March 02, 2009, 11:35:13 AM

Ah. Sometimes it's hard to tell. Because I can understand how 500 episodes of bigheaded kids fighting in deserted fields for hours upon hours can be grating... but they do have their charm in certain doses. With children, the tolerance level is even higher. Therefore, the shows are not doomed.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 15, 2009, 08:22:52 AM

I may have to rip my own head off just so I don't have to see the horror that this will be. I know DBZ gets a lot of bad rep and it is cheesy but this....This is going to make the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat movies look like Oscar material. It won't even be bad in a good way. Hell, I think I'd even want to watch the Bloodrayne movies before this. This should have been done by whoever did 'Fung Wan' (Stormriders). That was about as close to DBZ as I've ever seen anything get effects and battle-wise.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 16, 2009, 10:52:34 AM

I must be one of the few people in the world who's never seen Dragonball (in any incarnation) nor do I particularly want to.  There's a thread about this on the IGN Anime General Board with a link for a review from ANN.

An excerpt:
In the end, it all boils down to one thing: this movie appeals to nobody. It was made for no one. People who aren't familiar with the Dragon Ball story at all will be so flabbergasted by what's happening that they will likely tell everyone they know that it's one of the worst movies they've ever seen. Fans who do know what the general story is will be furious at just how unbelievably badly they screwed this entire thing up. Kids are used to better writing than this in their weekday afternoon cartoons (although you may run into a kid who has never actually seen a movie before, and they might dig it until you show them another movie). It's a clunky, tiresome, badly executed, horribly written pile of shame that deserves no quarter.

In short, it's as bad as the fans said it would be.

I was actually considering see the movie for camp value until I read the review.  Now I guess I'll just wait until it hits cable, if then.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #57 on: March 18, 2009, 09:42:02 AM

It's terrible. There's just no redeeming it.

here lemme spoil it for you to save your cash.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Xurtan
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: April 06, 2009, 09:31:36 PM

Was anyone else incredibly disturbed to learn that James Marsters plays Piccolo?   ACK!
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 10, 2009, 10:30:46 AM

Along with a shit movie comes a shit shit shit shit game tie-in:
http://www.dragonballevolutiongame.com/

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 10, 2009, 10:18:53 PM

It's terrible. There's just no redeeming it.

here lemme spoil it for you to save your cash.

I would just like to add on top of this, having now seen most of the movie while at work:

HOLY FUCKING TERRIBLE ACTING.   I mean, what the hell.  I was expecting this to be bad, but Jesus Christ, they probably could have trained a chimp on coke to deliver its lines better then that kid they chose to play Goku.   I had to resist the urge to to jam my fists into my skull through my ear-canals during the entire sequence where Goku is explaining his grandfather's dying remarks to Roshi.  The delivery was just that bad......

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Dragonball: Evolution  
Jump to: