Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:54:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 477162 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: July 16, 2010, 05:15:07 AM

Why do I post this ? No idea, maybe just because I want to have something to look back to in a few months to remind me why I started this.  awesome, for real

Talking about it actually helps, so if I were you I'd make sure you keep this post alive.  There are also a lot of knowledgeable people around here than can help you with advice, on both diet and exercise.

Anyway, good luck to you.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: July 16, 2010, 06:58:08 AM

Light, low impact cardio and workout in the gym is a given, in fact I will start as soon as they will take my money.

Why do I post this ? No idea, maybe just because I want to have something to look back to in a few months to remind me why I started this.  awesome, for real

I think it's great that you posted this.  The idea is to start on the path toward a healthier version of yourself.  I think the energy boost that you'll feel will make the effort worthwhile almost immediately. 

Tips:

1) Don't allow early enthusiasm to cause you to overdo it and burnout.  Take it slowly and allow yourself adequate recovery. 

2) Make working out a part of your daily routine.  When it becomes an important part of your day, you don't notice the time devoted to it as being "lost".  It's just like brushing your teeth or taking a shower.

3) Keep a journal/log of your progress with pictures (if you can).  It's very motivational. 

Best of luck! 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: July 16, 2010, 09:11:14 AM

2) Make working out a part of your daily routine.  When it becomes an important part of your day, you don't notice the time devoted to it as being "lost".  It's just like brushing your teeth or taking a shower.

Heck, I daresay that you can become so addicted to working out that it can go to the other extreme...having to skip a day can actually be a disappointment.  It usually is for me.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: July 16, 2010, 07:20:20 PM

My swim coach called the first 2 weeks after some time off "The Wall."  You'll hit it hard and want to stop, but you push through and you'll go over and forget about it.  You can do it, Helm.

I have nothing relevant to add to this but I have to say something...

I've seen the video of the chick that is your avatar, but I'll be damned if I can remember what/where.  Edumacate me please?
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: July 16, 2010, 07:34:19 PM

Heck, I daresay that you can become so addicted to working out that it can go to the other extreme...having to skip a day can actually be a disappointment.  It usually is for me.

I go back and forth on this.  On my old training schedule (heavy cardio and circuit training), the day off felt like cheating.   On my current schedule (Hal Higdon's Half Marathon for novices), the day off comes like a day of sweet sweet wonderful bliss.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #355 on: July 17, 2010, 06:27:29 PM

My swim coach called the first 2 weeks after some time off "The Wall."  You'll hit it hard and want to stop, but you push through and you'll go over and forget about it.  You can do it, Helm.

I've seen the video of the chick that is your avatar, but I'll be damned if I can remember what/where.  Edumacate me please?

Can't help you.  I stole it form a .gif thread on 4chan or Corp years ago.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #356 on: July 17, 2010, 09:30:13 PM

Can't help you.  I stole it form a .gif thread on 4chan or Corp years ago.

Presumably, you speak of Alex Gaudino's "Destination Calabria" (featuring Christal Waters and seven of her friends).
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: July 18, 2010, 06:12:15 AM

Question on running, I've found that I can now actually run long and fast enough to start feeling some actual work in my legs and can control the pace well enough to not have to stop just so I can breath again but I've found that I get a really uncomfortable feeling in my stomach after a while. Not a cramp or pain but that feeling you get with an unhappy stomach that is not infrequently followed by a desperate rush to the loo, best description I've heard for it was a hot stomach (which is apparently what it's known as in Vietnam). If I stop and catch my breath it'll go away but I'm not keen on trying to run through that for fear of something going horribly wrong. I'm guessing it'll go away as general fitness improves but anyone know what might be the cause/ways to work on getting rid of it? Couldn't seem to find anything through google since I'm not really sure what to search for.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: July 19, 2010, 07:08:35 AM

Having to make a bowel movement immediately before, during or just after running is pretty common, I think.  I know that when I did cross country running when I was younger people constantly would 'nip off the path' for a quick shit.

Just make a point to go before you run, eventually your body figures it out and it's no longer an issue.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: July 19, 2010, 07:09:36 AM

Having to make a bowel movement immediately before, during or just after running is pretty common, I think.  I know that when I did cross country running when I was younger people constantly would 'nip off the path' for a quick shit.

Just make a point to go before you run, eventually your body figures it out and it's no longer an issue.

Pretty much - it's usually referred to as Runner's trots.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: July 19, 2010, 07:25:02 AM

Pretty much - it's usually referred to as Runner's trots.

Or the Trotter's runs.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: July 19, 2010, 08:41:03 AM

ACK! Maybe I'll stop running. I've been making sure I don't need to go before I run, seems like sometimes that isn't enough. I'll probably just slow it down rather than nip off into someone's front garden though.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: July 19, 2010, 09:49:46 AM

ACK! Maybe I'll stop running. I've been making sure I don't need to go before I run, seems like sometimes that isn't enough. I'll probably just slow it down rather than nip off into someone's front garden though.

On my run days, being properly hydrated seems to help a lot with it, as does not being an idiot and running when it's 100 degrees outside (I'll either run super early or late or just the gym).

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: August 09, 2010, 06:49:22 PM

Anyone know where I can get a (free) version of the nutrition plan for P90x?  Thinking about doing it.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #364 on: August 09, 2010, 07:48:28 PM

Just because it was bumped...

I finally got around to completing the Yoga routine recently (not damn time lately)...wow.

About 45 minutes in or so, for the first time in my life, I legitimately touched my toes. You know, knees locked and all.

I was waaaay too proud of myself. Even as a kid, playing HOURS of hockey every day, I could never do that. I was amazed.

Just a shame I don't have the time to do this more consistently, though I should have more time once I switch positions in January.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: August 10, 2010, 03:51:56 AM

Still struggling to improve my eating habbits. As someone else mentioned, reducing your calorie intake makes everything much more tasty than before. On a side note, I found out that I, like many people with overweight I figure, actually seem to be more or less addicted to eating. Right now I am trying to figure out if it is a psychological or a physical dependence. I hope it is physical.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: August 10, 2010, 05:41:50 AM

Still struggling to improve my eating habbits. As someone else mentioned, reducing your calorie intake makes everything much more tasty than before. On a side note, I found out that I, like many people with overweight I figure, actually seem to be more or less addicted to eating. Right now I am trying to figure out if it is a psychological or a physical dependence. I hope it is physical.  awesome, for real

In my case, I think it's 50/50 habit.  What has worked best for me is to have water always with me and I eat large salads every day at lunch (skipping the iceberg lettuce). 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: August 10, 2010, 06:54:17 AM

In my case, I think it's 50/50 habit.  What has worked best for me is to have water always with me and I eat large salads every day at lunch (skipping the iceberg lettuce). 

The bold part is great advice.  In obese/overweight individuals, it's often common for them to confuse the hunger and thirst responses.  One way to help is to drink water before each meal and to drink water when hunger pangs come on.  I also like to exercise if a glass of water doesn't help the hunger subside. 

On a separate note: you may also be suffering the effects of low blood sugar between meals.  One way to help is to have 4-6 small meals during the day.  It will curb the cravings as well.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: August 10, 2010, 07:00:54 AM

So nobody has a copy of the nutrition plan for this program?

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: August 10, 2010, 12:15:12 PM

I don't get hungry. I just noticed that I sometimes REALLY want to eat something. Hard to explain really.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: August 10, 2010, 01:01:08 PM

I don't get hungry. I just noticed that I sometimes REALLY want to eat something. Hard to explain really.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I understand that.  It's often a dip in blood sugar that is the cause.  That's why I added the bit about eating many small meals.

-  Mark Twain
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #371 on: August 10, 2010, 03:26:46 PM

I do. It's your standard high protein / low carb diet  which starts with moderate fat and shifts into lower fat as you get more into it. It's tracked by a chart with 'serving' boxes that you check off each day.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #372 on: August 10, 2010, 05:21:33 PM

Since you're asking for copyright material to be posted on a private web board instead of searching torrents, Google and Usenet for it yourself.. just accept that you're too lazy to stick to the food plan and find something else to do.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #373 on: August 10, 2010, 05:43:22 PM

On a separate note: you may also be suffering the effects of low blood sugar between meals.  One way to help is to have 4-6 small meals during the day.  It will curb the cravings as well.

I think this might apply to me as well, but...how do you have time for that? 4-6 meals sounds like a lot of running out to get food or cooking or something.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #374 on: August 10, 2010, 05:48:38 PM

I've been working on losing weight for the past month or so, with pretty good success if my crappy scale is to be believed (recently invested in a better one since I've historically done better with constant accurate feedback).  A large part of it has been recognizing my own bad eating habits and avoiding them through conscious effort.  One of the real killers, I think, was the habit of trying to "fill up" at dinner, i.e. eat to the point of feeling "stuffed" rather than just sated.  I decided that it came from some irrational childhood fear of waking up hungry, and once I realized that and saw how silly it was (if it ever did happen I could just get up and eat a snack, dammit, I'm a grown-up now), I started to get comfortable with having small dinners.  I think it's been helping me sleep better, too.

I know exactly what you mean with just wanting to eat, though.  Water helps satisfy the vague urge to wander into the kitchen and come back to my desk with something to consume, but when there's delicious food actually sitting around it requires an act of will to pass it up.  I suspect that never gets easier.  cry

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #375 on: August 10, 2010, 07:04:39 PM

I think this might apply to me as well, but...how do you have time for that? 4-6 meals sounds like a lot of running out to get food or cooking or something.

A "Meal" doesn't necessitate cooking.. It's just a designated time to eat.  It can be a few pieces of fruit, some GORP or just saving half of your lunch to eat 2-3 hours later at your desk.  Just make sure you manage your total calories instead of adding 2-3 additional meals that are as calorie-dense as the 2-3 you're already eating.  And DO NOT snack between these meals (which is my downfall of late. Damn droughts in the break room where my water bottles are.)

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: August 11, 2010, 06:45:43 AM

Since you're asking for copyright material to be posted on a private web board instead of searching torrents, Google and Usenet for it yourself.. just accept that you're too lazy to stick to the food plan and find something else to do.

You assume laziness when simple incompetence would have sufficed as an explanation.  As far as it being copyrighted data, it simply didn't occur to me...so apologies for offending your sensibilities  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

At any rate, while I have often monitored my calories and am very aware of what I am eating, I have never followed a strict plan like this, so I wanted to see what I might be getting into.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: August 11, 2010, 07:13:22 AM

And a related question that just crossed my mind, my mother insists that diet coke makes you hungry, because it tastes sweet, but does not contain sugar, thereby causing a drip in blood sugar. I disagree, but maybe my body is fooling me again ?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: August 11, 2010, 07:27:56 AM

And a related question that just crossed my mind, my mother insists that diet coke makes you hungry, because it tastes sweet, but does not contain sugar, thereby causing a drip in blood sugar. I disagree, but maybe my body is fooling me again ?

It's something called "aspartame disease" and some information about it can be found HERE

I'm not sure what I think about it, but know that many artificial sweeteners can signal release of insulin that causes hunger.  The hunger comes from an expectation that more calories will follow. 

Drinking water instead of diet soda is always the smart choice, but diet soda is still >>> regular soda.  Baby steps and all that.

-  Mark Twain
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: August 11, 2010, 07:59:20 AM

Drinking water instead of diet soda is always the smart choice, but diet soda is still >>> regular soda.  Baby steps and all that.
Your sound advice is always welcome. Thank you.  awesome, for real

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: December 19, 2010, 08:46:49 AM

Don't think it warrants its own thread but figured I'd post something up about this

Basically, I wanted to make sure I didn't turn back into a couch potato during the winter, so I signed up to run a race in the middle of December.

http://celticsolstice.com/Intro.html

It's a 5 mile loop through Druid Hill Park in Baltimore.   Ran it yesterday and I'm pretty happy with my overall time (averaged a 9:47 minute/mile, which I know is slow compared to some of you bastards, but since I couldn't even run a mile let alone 5 this time last year, I'll take it). 

Got to the race around 7 am and didn't even think about a bag check, so I ended up standing around in my run gear in about 25F degrees for about an hour and a half.   Not great planning on my part, but live and learn.

The pre and post race support was probably the best I've seen - plenty of water, coffee, and hot cocoa for people pre-race and then soup, hot wassail and cookies post-race.    And I'm not sure hot spice wine can possibly taste any better than after you've just put your body through the fun of standing around and then running 5 miles in sub-freezing temps. 

Of course, since I had all that coffee and a billion runs to the porta-john while standing around, I got super dehydrated after the race, got home, and spent a good half day alternating between serious cramps and runs to the bathroom.   I AM SMRT.

Recovery today seems to be fairly minimal - a little soreness in my calves and quads and randomly enough my shoulder blades (I keep super tight while running)
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: December 19, 2010, 03:10:49 PM

One update deserves another. I lost 35lbs (was ~5'11" 185lbs+ none of it muscle) due to cleaning up my diet several months ago as hammered on in this thread.

Apparently I stored all my fat in my face and torso.  I don't own a scale so I didn't notice my gradual weight gain as I actually thought my shirts were somehow shrinking.  I got on a scale just to figure out my starting weight and didn't weigh myself again until I got comments that I look like a shadow of my former self and asking whether I was sick.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Weight loss wasn't my primary goal; I just wanted to stop eating like an idiot and get fit in the process.  My diet used to be:  Breakfast - huge Jamba Juice banana/chocolate drink, nursed all day /// Lunch - McDonaldish food (e.g., nuggets, fries, coke and sundae) /// Dinner - bigger McDonaldish food (e.g., burrito, chips, fries, coke/milkshake, and ice cream) /// plenty of processed snacks

My new diet is:  Breakfast - eggs/oatmeal and fruit ///  Lunch - salad and animal protein ///  Dinner - grain/potato carbs, veggies and animal protein /// fewer and healthier snacks

All the while I did ~45min cardio 3 days a week.  I tried twice to start lifting weights but both times left me unable to straighten my arms for a week or two. It also doesn't help that I have a natural aversion to lifting since it's hard but putting on some muscle is my next goal so to stick with it I'll be reducing weights to further embarrassing levels.

I still eat out and have cookies, pizza, etc., but my portions are smaller, I pay attention to labels and my fast food binging is over. I can't remember the last time I had a coke and that's saying something since I used to take baths in the stuff.

/LiveJournal
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: December 20, 2010, 06:57:14 AM

stuff

Nice one, man.  Don't be too worried or embarrased about the weight lifting stuff.  Find an intelligent lifting program (e.g. some kind of 5x5 for beginners), up your calorie and protein intake, and you'll make shockingly fast progress. 

Go on you too, JWIV.  Running fucking sucks, though...you can have it. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: December 23, 2010, 12:29:42 PM

I just want to say on the lifting, something like 5x5 or a Starting Strength programme is a great place to start. A sensible beginner lifting programme shouldn't leave your arms aching and lifting without a programme results in overworking a few muscle groups (based on the stupid stuff I've done and read about). Grats on doing stuff though, I've not gone running for almost a month now after spraining something in my left foot (that's finally pretty much healed) and lifting has been keeping me sane and not suddenly going back to what I was six months ago.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: June 05, 2011, 10:02:28 AM

Sorry for bumping a rather old thread.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice about ketogenic diets?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: