Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:41:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 477161 times)
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: July 06, 2010, 06:13:35 PM

In that case you're just broken awesome, for real

More on topic, thanks for the advice and suggestions. The couch potato to 5K thing seems aimed at people even less fit than I am but it's a nice start and the buying decent running shoes seems like a good idea if I'm going to do this even semi-serious. Like I said I'm not utterly inactive, I've always lived in city places and like/try walking everywhere (including stairs) but actually making some effort to avoid injures is probably a good idea. One of the things that prompted this was after a diving/camping weekend a couple of weeks ago I seem to have pulled/done something to my right hamstring that has resulted in undoing any stretching over the last few years and it made me think maybe I should actually get off my ass (that and looking in a mirror and going, "That looks a lot like a double chin is about to start"). Time to start running regularly and eating more salad, thanks guys.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: July 07, 2010, 10:08:49 AM

In that case you're just broken awesome, for real

More on topic, thanks for the advice and suggestions. The couch potato to 5K thing seems aimed at people even less fit than I am but it's a nice start and the buying decent running shoes seems like a good idea if I'm going to do this even semi-serious. Like I said I'm not utterly inactive, I've always lived in city places and like/try walking everywhere (including stairs) but actually making some effort to avoid injures is probably a good idea. One of the things that prompted this was after a diving/camping weekend a couple of weeks ago I seem to have pulled/done something to my right hamstring that has resulted in undoing any stretching over the last few years and it made me think maybe I should actually get off my ass (that and looking in a mirror and going, "That looks a lot like a double chin is about to start"). Time to start running regularly and eating more salad, thanks guys.

I had my wife take a picture of me from the front, the side, and the back while wearing only boxer shorts.

I found it to be quite the motivator. 

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: July 07, 2010, 10:30:34 AM

[Back to actual p90x....what do you do when you hit the 90-day mark; do you just start at the beginning of the program again?

Sure.  Modify it a bit.  Do double routines, increase your weight, whatever.  It's flexible.  I like it because it's genuinely fun, the guy is a great motivator (even if more than a bit cheesy, but that's fine), and I get results with it.

If you do the routine and stay in the top 2 tiers of Michi's Ladder, you'll see results.  Don't worry about following some sort of ultra strict no fun diet regimine other than staying in the top 2 levels, and you'll be fine.  With the exception of fish and the exclusion of red meat and sweets (particularly chocolate), the adjustment to ONLY those kinds of foods was easy for me since I love veggies and fruits.  To be fair, there's not much I won't eat and I still splurge on a steak, bbq, or pork tenderloin every now and then.  There's nothing wrong with treating yourself every couple of weeks.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #283 on: July 07, 2010, 06:55:00 PM

My stomach is going to be a sad panda.  0.0 DPS

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: July 08, 2010, 12:32:30 AM

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: July 08, 2010, 05:29:52 AM

Can I turn this into a Crossfit/Military Athlete thread or should we make seperate thread?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: July 08, 2010, 07:59:33 AM

My stomach is going to be a sad panda.  0.0 DPS

I'm a huge believer in mind over matter.  You need to go out there and kick the ever loving shit out of those soggy vegetables.  You will be surprised out how well such an approach will work, if you get your mind in the right place.  You may end up liking the stuff, despite your protests.  It is actually rather unatural for you to have such an aversion to healthy foods like raw vegetables, and that should tell you something important.  It should scare the piss out of you, really.

Also, I say it in every thread like this and have said it in this thread, too:  Make very specific goals.  "I want to kind of get in better shape" is not a specific goal.  Figure out exactly what you want, and then find the most efficient means of getting there.  Spell it out here exactly, and you'll get better advice.  You may find that you have several different goals, some of which are a bit contradictory (which just means you should probably parse them out into several shorter term goals).

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Strazos

Reply #287 on: July 08, 2010, 07:11:44 PM

It is actually rather unatural for you to have such an aversion to healthy foods like raw vegetables, and that should tell you something important.  It should scare the piss out of you, really.

Eh, I've disliked the stuff...from birth. Has nothing to do with liking/disliking healthy foods. I've actually gotten better over the years; when I was younger red sauce was a no-no. I can do many cooked vegetables to various quantities.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #288 on: July 09, 2010, 05:17:03 AM

How are raw veggies & fruits for you Strazos?  I luv raw carrots, celery, radishes (the hotter the better!), kohlrabies, fresh baby yellow squash (smaller is better, the big stuff tends to be really bitter & especially the green squash), some zucchini (I still hate it a lot, has to do with having so much of it growing up I couldn't stand it for years!  Damn thing grows freaking everywhere & produces a ton of crop!), plus I'm not big on dressings so eating them plain is fun for me.  I tend to do a low fat low calorie when I diet, but I'm still a big moderation fan.

Hey Nebu or others, anyone done any research on age and metabolism slowing down?  I know I'm not insanely built like my son is (he is 14, swims 2x a day and works out...kinda like I used too & is in decent shape), but it seems I really have to combine strict diet and strict exercise or I can't maintain a health weight anymore  sad  Of course my height & weight optimum is like 5'6" so I should be 135 lbs to 140 lbs.  It freaking hurts to get back down, but once there it isn't too bad to maintain, but my work schedule sucks with 12 hr shifts that turn into 13 hrs, then travel and family time, so it can be a bear to keep on the routine.

Grrr now I have to start running, dang kido signed us up for a 5k race in 2 months!  Oh running shoes that fit are awesome!  I went and had myself fitted and can't believe my feet have grown!  @ least the flat feet didn't set in (still just a slight over pronation nothing too bad), so I went with a decent support shoe from Brooks and the right size, wow!  Bought a pair for work and for working out and I'm enjoying walking and jogging again.  Going to suck to half to buy sandals, boots, and dress boots/shoes again this fall, but it is worth it!

I do know of 2 diet pills out there but Orlistat or Alli is freaking hell on your gut to some people, and the Adderall XR is being prescribed by many of the Doc's & Mid Levels (most are requiring monthly check-ups and progress and only writing 1 month supply...some doc's are still Rx'ing without care though...).  Either way those are temporary things for people who are stuck or need a boost, but then there is still not a magic bullet.  And if you can do it without drugs way freaking better!  Oh and if you have any type of addictive personality don't ever try them.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: July 09, 2010, 09:17:21 AM

Hey Nebu or others, anyone done any research on age and metabolism slowing down?  I know I'm not insanely built like my son is (he is 14, swims 2x a day and works out...kinda like I used too & is in decent shape), but it seems I really have to combine strict diet and strict exercise or I can't maintain a health weight anymore  sad  Of course my height & weight optimum is like 5'6" so I should be 135 lbs to 140 lbs.  It freaking hurts to get back down, but once there it isn't too bad to maintain, but my work schedule sucks with 12 hr shifts that turn into 13 hrs, then travel and family time, so it can be a bear to keep on the routine.

Here's what I teach as a guideline: Your hepatic and renal clearance will decrease approximately 1% per year after 35.  I would imagine that this also has an effect on metabolism, but think that it can be easily countered by maintaining muscle mass.  If you wish to keep your BMR up, then your best bet is to build mass in the large muscle groups (lats, pecs, delts, quads, gluts) in the gym. 

Anectodal thoughts: I've noticed that both my BMR and ability to pack on muscle mass have declined with age.  I'm fit for being in my 40's, but I'm nothing like the machine I was in my 20's.  I lift for 60-90 mins a day, 5 days a week and run almost daily just to maintain what I could easily do in 3 days a week during my late 20's.  Running was also easiest in my 30's, but that's quite common. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: July 09, 2010, 12:21:11 PM

It is actually rather unatural for you to have such an aversion to healthy foods like raw vegetables, and that should tell you something important.  It should scare the piss out of you, really.

Eh, I've disliked the stuff...from birth. Has nothing to do with liking/disliking healthy foods. I've actually gotten better over the years; when I was younger red sauce was a no-no. I can do many cooked vegetables to various quantities.

Most kids dislike that stuff from birth.  Take that as you will.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Strazos

Reply #291 on: July 09, 2010, 08:26:31 PM

How are raw veggies & fruits for you Strazos?  I luv raw carrots, celery, radishes (the hotter the better!), kohlrabies, fresh baby yellow squash (smaller is better, the big stuff tends to be really bitter & especially the green squash), some zucchini (I still hate it a lot, has to do with having so much of it growing up I couldn't stand it for years!  Damn thing grows freaking everywhere & produces a ton of crop!), plus I'm not big on dressings so eating them plain is fun for me.  I tend to do a low fat low calorie when I diet, but I'm still a big moderation fan.

For the most part, completely unacceptable. The things you mentioned I can eat...cooked.

As weird as it sounds, my mouth just gets...bored of the stuff, and rejects it. For instance, I can probably do a bite or two of apple. I like apple juice. I can eat limited amount of applesauce or apple pie. But eventually...it's hard to explain, but the back of my mouth and tongue just well up, and I just can't eat it anymore. Same thing happened last time I tried some honeydew and cantaloupe in yogurt. It also happens with poorly-prepared flank steak (not marinated, or overcooked on the grilled and somewhat charred). It's bizarre, and unexplainable, so I just avoid the stuff.

Good thing I don't eat for a living or something.

Fear the Backstab!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: July 09, 2010, 08:56:59 PM

I know this will sound odd, but as someone that does survival training... I'd say that you're just not hungry enough.  If you cut your caloric intake to about 1500 per day for 2 weeks, I guarantee that in 5-6 days a salad will taste delightful.  Humans develop taste preferences out of luxury.  I've found that I'm a very picky eater by nature, but once I've been in the wilderness for 7 days with little to no food, I'll begin to eat things that I would otherwise never consider. 

Bottom line:  If you want to change your eating habits, it can and will happen.  You just have to decide that it's what you want to do.  If you limit your choices to only those foods that are healthy, you'll find them to be very tasty in time.  It's all about retraining.  If you don't want to change your eating habits, that's just fine.  Own that and live with the fact that you need to alter your expectations accordingly. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: July 09, 2010, 11:45:47 PM

Mmmm, had a monster salad tonight and it was delicious.  Pretty basic - romaine, celery, carrot, radish, mushroom, tomato, avocado, basil, almonds, homemade vinaigrette and about 1/4lb of chopped, grilled tri-tip.

You don't know what you are missing!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: July 10, 2010, 07:30:20 AM

Mmmm, had a monster salad tonight and it was delicious.  Pretty basic - romaine, celery, carrot, radish, mushroom, tomato, avocado, basil, almonds, homemade vinaigrette and about 1/4lb of chopped, grilled tri-tip.

You don't know what you are missing!

I'm going to assume that you're being sarcastic.  Depending on size, the avocado, the almonds, and the tip (I assume beef) could drive the calories and fat of that salad up to McDonald's range.  That's not a salad, that's dinner on lettuce.    4 oz Tri tip ~ 350 Cal, medium avocado ~ 250 Cal, tomato ~ 100 Cal, almonds ~250 Cal.  That salad is already up to 950 Cal not counting the dressing oil.  If you wanted to eat healthy, the salad would lose the red meat.  You already have avocado and almonds as your fat.  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:40:31 AM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: July 10, 2010, 09:22:09 AM

I'm going to assume that you're being sarcastic.  Depending on size, the avocado, the almonds, and the tip (I assume beef) could drive the calories and fat of that salad up to McDonald's range.  That's not a salad, that's dinner on lettuce.    4 oz Tri tip ~ 350 Cal, medium avocado ~ 250 Cal, tomato ~ 100 Cal, almonds ~250 Cal.  That salad is already up to 950 Cal not counting the dressing oil.  If you wanted to eat healthy, the salad would lose the red meat.  You already have avocado and almonds as your fat.  

Nope, totally serious.  Considering that I only ate two meals yesterday and one of them was the salad, I don't see anything wrong with it being ~1k calories.  And I'll just pass over your misguided attack on red meat.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: July 10, 2010, 11:05:34 AM

Nope, totally serious.  Considering that I only ate two meals yesterday and one of them was the salad, I don't see anything wrong with it being ~1k calories.  And I'll just pass over your misguided attack on red meat.

Two meals a day = bad.  Red meat = fine in moderation, but far better choices could be made.  Most red meat (bison being the exception) is too high in fat percentage to be a good, healthy choice. 

If you want to argue biochemistry, physiology, or nutrition, I'm more than happy to go there. 

-  Mark Twain
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: July 11, 2010, 08:40:16 AM

Two meals a day = bad.  Red meat = fine in moderation, but far better choices could be made.  Most red meat (bison being the exception) is too high in fat percentage to be a good, healthy choice.  

If you want to argue biochemistry, physiology, or nutrition, I'm more than happy to go there.  

Having a resident bio-chemist is fun.  awesome, for real

I'd like to get your input about some stuff I had heard recently (from the low carb/diabetes camps) showing that the human system doesn't actually digest fat the way everyonetm thought it did.  That higher saturated-fat diets (red meat) can improve quantities of 'good' cholesterol and that diets higher in processed carbohydrates (bread, pasta, etc...) can increase quantities of bad cholesterol?

At least, I think that this is what is being said here: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/07/diet-heart-hypothesis-subdividing.html

Also, I would like to get your input on this break down of a steak:

From Gary Taubes’ book:

“Consider a porterhouse steak with a quarter-inch layer of fat. After broiling, this steak will reduce to almost equal parts fat and protein. Fifty-one percent of the fat is monounsaturated, of which 90 percent is oleic acid. Saturated fat constitutes 45 percent of the total fat, but a third of that is stearic acid, which will increase HDL cholesterol while having no effect on LDL. (Stearic acid is metabolized in the body to oleic acid, according to Grundy’s research.) The remaining 4 percent of fat is polyunsaturated, which lowers LDL cholesterol but has no meaningful effect on HDL. In sum, perhaps as much as 70 percent of the fat content of a porterhouse steak will improve the relative levels of LDL and HDL cholesterol, compared with what they would be if carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, or pasta were consumed. The remaining 30 percent will raise LDL cholesterol, but will also raise HDL cholesterol and will have an insignificant effect, if any, on the ratio of total cholesterol to HDL. All of this suggests that eating a porterhouse steak in lieu of bread or potatoes would actually reduce heart-disease risk, although virtually no nutritional authority will say so publicly. The same is true for lard and bacon.”
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:42:33 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: July 11, 2010, 09:45:06 AM

Can I turn this into a Crossfit/Military Athlete thread or should we make seperate thread?

I'm up for talking about CrossFit, I've been messing about with it recently and it's fairly fun.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: July 12, 2010, 05:15:24 AM

Two meals a day = bad.  Red meat = fine in moderation, but far better choices could be made.  Most red meat (bison being the exception) is too high in fat percentage to be a good, healthy choice.  

Having a resident bio-chemist is fun.  awesome, for real

I'd like to get your input about some stuff I had heard recently (from the low carb/diabetes camps) showing that the human system doesn't actually digest fat the way everyonetm thought it did.  That higher saturated-fat diets (red meat) can improve quantities of 'good' cholesterol and that diets higher in processed carbohydrates (bread, pasta, etc...) can increase quantities of bad cholesterol?

At least, I think that this is what is being said here: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/07/diet-heart-hypothesis-subdividing.html

From Gary Taubes’ book:

“Consider a porterhouse steak with a quarter-inch layer of fat. After broiling, this steak will reduce to almost equal parts fat and protein. Fifty-one percent of the fat is monounsaturated, of which 90 percent is oleic acid. Saturated fat constitutes 45 percent of the total fat, but a third of that is stearic acid, which will increase HDL cholesterol while having no effect on LDL. (Stearic acid is metabolized in the body to oleic acid, according to Grundy’s research.) The remaining 4 percent of fat is polyunsaturated, which lowers LDL cholesterol but has no meaningful effect on HDL. In sum, perhaps as much as 70 percent of the fat content of a porterhouse steak will improve the relative levels of LDL and HDL cholesterol, compared with what they would be if carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, or pasta were consumed. The remaining 30 percent will raise LDL cholesterol, but will also raise HDL cholesterol and will have an insignificant effect, if any, on the ratio of total cholesterol to HDL. All of this suggests that eating a porterhouse steak in lieu of bread or potatoes would actually reduce heart-disease risk, although virtually no nutritional authority will say so publicly. The same is true for lard and bacon.”

Am I the only guy that thinks that these folks are missing the point?  (The point being "eat less and exercise")

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: July 12, 2010, 05:24:24 AM

Great! I do quite a bit of Crossfit, but lean more towards the Military Athlete stuff. MA is more about practical strength and ways to maintain develop yourself when you're deployed with little to no fitness equipment. A lot of it is short duration, max effort stuff with the idea being that it's far more likely to find yourself in a situation where you'd benefit more from explosive strength than marathon stamina.

On that note, here's my workout for today:

At some point I'm sure I'll talk about a non-standard exercise. You can find videos of them on this page.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: July 12, 2010, 06:21:06 AM

Am I the only guy that thinks that these folks are missing the point?  (The point being "eat less and exercise")

It's cute that you think that stuff you quoted was about weight loss.

Anyway, to play your silly little game, you know that sort of thermodynamics equation that usually goes calories in - calories out = wieght gain/loss?

While true in the ultimate sense doing so in good health is more complicated than that.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: July 12, 2010, 07:16:51 AM

Great! I do quite a bit of Crossfit, but lean more towards the Military Athlete stuff. MA is more about practical strength and ways to maintain develop yourself when you're deployed with little to no fitness equipment. A lot of it is short duration, max effort stuff with the idea being that it's far more likely to find yourself in a situation where you'd benefit more from explosive strength than marathon stamina.

On that note, here's my workout for today:

At some point I'm sure I'll talk about a non-standard exercise. You can find videos of them on this page.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of the Military Athlete stuff, thanks for the link. As far as I get Crossfit (and Crossfit seems to be a very broadly applied term) the main goal is to do very mixed-up workouts, with a focus on speed and intensity. I was doing 5x5 a year or so again, and then moved into more low-rep, high-set workouts. Now I'm swinging back to doing a mix of high-rep, low-weight days and more conventional low-rep, high-weight days. So far it seems to be working, but I'm tempted to completely restructure how I work out, which I haven't done in an organised way in ages. I recently trained up to do a 300, and dropped about 2.5kg in weight, without any decrease in my max Deadlift, Squat or Bench (my bench actually went up by 5kg the week after the 300). My main problem with CrossFit type training where you focus on max rounds is that I found my recovery times between workouts increased noticeably; I'm not sure where the balance between adequate and too much training intensity is.

The aspect of CrossFit which I find the most fun are the non-standard exercises. Ones which I like are one-leg deadlifts and explosive bench using a smith machine. If you are having to train equipment-free then I'm all about dips.

I find that goals really help me progress; out of interest what are your goals?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #303 on: July 12, 2010, 08:18:42 AM

GO Ugly sounds like something from Friday nights after being in the field for 4 weeks (or more),  Grin
But the site is great!

It is great produce time!  You all should be getting out to the farmers markets or to the actual fields and buying some awesome veggies and fruits!  New potatoes and green beans in a crock pot are awesome.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: July 12, 2010, 08:33:48 AM

It's cute that you think that stuff you quoted was about weight loss.

Anyway, to play your silly little game, you know that sort of thermodynamics equation that usually goes calories in - calories out = wieght gain/loss?

While true in the ultimate sense doing so in good health is more complicated than that.

Sure, it's important to eat a balanced diet.  Don't we already know what that involves? 

(I thought this was an exercise/weight loss thread.)

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: July 12, 2010, 10:12:35 AM

Sure, it's important to eat a balanced diet.  Don't we already know what that involves? 

The contention is that, no, we don't.  Apparently any nutrition study ever done involving lab animals that are not human is possibly fundamentally flawed by a misunderstanding of the function of the human liver and the cholesterol production process.

Which is why I'd like to get Nebu's take on it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #306 on: July 12, 2010, 10:18:08 AM

Emulate the oldest people in your family.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: July 12, 2010, 10:30:45 AM

The contention is that, no, we don't.  Apparently any nutrition study ever done involving lab animals that are not human is possibly fundamentally flawed by a misunderstanding of the function of the human liver and the cholesterol production process.

I can see your point.   I tend to be very wary of 'new discoveries'  as it seems like there is always some business that stands to make money that's funding the research.. .

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: July 12, 2010, 11:07:22 AM

I'll definitely get back to you on this.  I'm out of town until tomorrow, but have some thoughts.  My initial impression is that their conclusions only consider a very isolated case.  I'll elaborate soon.

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #309 on: July 12, 2010, 05:17:31 PM

Emulate the oldest people in your family.

Probably the best advice out there.  Wish I knew what they'd done.  Grandfather's Father lived to 103, Grandmother's Mother lived to 98.  Gramps lived to 86, dying due to a stroke from 60 years of smoking half a pack a day and grandma died a few years later from not taking care of herself.  Other grandfather died 3 years ago to leukemia from smoking at 80, while grandma is 82 in January and still going strong if a little demented.  They all ate like shit. Fried Chicken Hearts being dad-gramps favorite while the other lived on big Southern Meals with grits & bacon.

Meanwhile, Dad died 2 years ago at 65 after fighting leukemia for 7 years due to Agent Orange exposure and Mom's had 2 bouts with breast cancer by the age of 59 due to smoking and is probably 80+ # overweight due to grief eating.

Really at this point I just say "Fuck it, it's a craps shoot so all you can do is enjoy yourself."  I do the fitness thing now because I feel better when doing it, not to try and live longer.  With my luck I'll get a blood clot in the leg that kills me at 40.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Strazos

Reply #310 on: July 12, 2010, 08:22:53 PM

So...holy crap, this P90x stuff is pretty damn legit, and the exercises are amazing simple (so far, after day 2  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?)...but that simplicity belies the program's...ass kickery? I don't know, but I'm whooped after I (mostly) finish these workouts.

So I'm just hoping I can stick with this; I feel like I'm pot-committed at this point, after spending more than $250 on the program and equipment.

Yowza.

Fear the Backstab!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #311 on: July 12, 2010, 09:44:16 PM

I tried P90X, but I don't have the room for all the equipment to do it and I'd much prefer a full body to a split. I haven't been able to find a full body that gets everything though, anyone had any luck with one?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: July 13, 2010, 08:10:33 AM

From Gary Taubes’ book:

I started writing a long and descriptive passage of "nerd-speak", but decided that it would be better answered this way: They're cherry picking.  The conversion that they're describing is highly specific and under some pretty limited circumstances that require fairly large excesses of FA (fatty acid) stores being moved around for transport.  If you're taking in only enough fat for caloric requirements, then it will all be broken down by beta-oxidation and associated pathways.  The result being large quantites of acetyl-CoA and occasionally some succinyl-CoA (in the case of odd-number carbon chain FA).  The part of their statement that I can agree with is that high processed carb intake can cause problems physiologically.  These problems tend to manifest themselves quite differently that we see with saturated fat and red meat associated situations. 

Replacing a lot of carbs with saturated fats may help with LDL levels to a minute degree, but you're ultimately just trading one problem for another.  I need to find their article on the conversion of steric acid to oleic acid.  I just can't envision a circumstance where that would happen unless monounsaturated, mid-chain fats were required for specific membrane components and synthesized to fit that need. 

Lantyssa have anything to add here?  I'm not much of an expert on the ancillary pathways of FA synthesis or conversion. 

-  Mark Twain
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: July 13, 2010, 08:33:04 AM

I tried P90X, but I don't have the room for all the equipment to do it and I'd much prefer a full body to a split.

The P90X stuff is pretty minimal (pull-up bar, weights/elastic bands, mat and chair/couch, possibly push-up bars), if you don't have room for that what else could you do to exercise at home?

The problem for me is I don't enjoy lifting weights partly because I'm a weakling and partly because weights are boring.  But the resurrection of this thread like a phoenix from the ashes of my last pizza has motivated me to go through the routine to build up some muscle and exercise smarter than just jogging.

EDIT:  I won't be doing the sit-ups since they look stressful on the lower back.  If I find a good plank routine instead I'll post it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:57:03 AM by ffc »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: July 13, 2010, 08:36:27 AM

I tried P90X, but I don't have the room for all the equipment to do it and I'd much prefer a full body to a split. I haven't been able to find a full body that gets everything though, anyone had any luck with one?

What do you mean by "getting everything"?  Full body routines should focus on large muscle groups and expect that smaller groups will be worked in the process.  For example, working back will secondarily work biceps and working chest will secondarily work triceps.  I've used some excellent german volume training routines that did no isolation exercises and still got amazing gains in my arms during the 6 weeks. 

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: