Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:53:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 477169 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: April 13, 2009, 08:41:26 AM

Please to be explaining how to convert the safety bars into something I can use for dips.  That's the one thing I'm missing.  My triceps aren't really much of a problem though, as I have alternatives and for whatever reason, my triceps have always been one of the better defined muscles on my body.

I am currently doing 4 sets at moderately intense levels as I sort of get my muscles used to the free weights.  I guess I don't have a real strict regimen at the moment, as I am basically just "finding my range" with the new equipment for now and trying to figure out what my current goals need to be.  Once I do, It'll probably be pyramid sets (1x10, 1x8, 2x6, 1x8, 1x10) where the 2 sets of 6 are at heavy weight and to failure.  This seems to work well for me, though I may cut out the two 1x8 sets as I'm not sure they add anything.

Also, what are you doing for calves?  Something with a 2x4?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: April 13, 2009, 09:38:15 AM

Please to be explaining how to convert the safety bars into something I can use for dips. 

Also, what are you doing for calves?  Something with a 2x4?

1) Make two bars that attach perpendicular to the safety bars.  Using clamps, you can adjust the width to your liking. Or you can just buy something like these:

2) Take a 2x4 and bolt it to a thick board.  Stand on it with your toes and use your squat weight for calves.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: April 13, 2009, 10:24:39 AM

Hmm, I think attaching them to the safeties would be a potential problem.  Hmm.  I'll think about it.  Then again, I don't think I really need the dips.

The 2x4 thing is obvious, in hindsight.  I had visions of something far crazier and torturous.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: April 13, 2009, 10:58:52 AM

Mini update.  Bought a Power Rack (for safe squats), a 300 lb Olympic bar/weight set and a bench.  I've simply outgrown the cheap little single station I bought, and it wasn't letting my do anything to mimic the squats.  And holy fuck did I need it...the first day I did squats in my new rack had me hobbling like an old geezer for almost five days afterwards.  Getting better now, but damn...I was neglecting my legs a little more than I thought.  Rack is real good for all kinds of bench press exercises, military presses and pull-ups/chin-ups.  Very happy.

I don't really know what my goal is, at the moment.  I didn't quite cut all the body fat I wanted to cut, but with the new weight set I don't think I can resist starting another bulking phase.  Right now I'm kind of hovering a little.

Another thing about a good squat rack:  It's VERY versatile.  You can easily build a dip station using the safety bars and if you have a top bar, you can use it for pullups with a variety of grips.  Get yourself a 2x4 and you can also work your calves.  If I had a better home gym I'd have a four things: a good incline bench that can be used for abs/decline work, a squat rack, a stationary bike, and a treadmill that can get to a 15 degree incline. 

If you want to build muscle mass, make sure that you gear your workouts for intensity.  I lift 4 times a week and my workouts are short (30-40 mins).  The goal is to have a short, high-intensity abuse of targeted groups (M/Thurs = Chest, shoulders, calves; Tues/Fri = Arms, back, quads).  I never do more than 5-6 reps of any exercise and I typically do 4-5 sets.  The key is to work to failure in 5 reps.  Any more than that and you're building muscle stamina, not mass.

I'm going to try something radical for the 12 weeks this summer.  I'm going to abandon my strength training for an all natural program.  Dips, pullups, pushups, etc.  with a lot of mileage.  I want to see how my body adjusts to a more utilitarian workout regiment.

Every 4 or 5 months my trainer shifts me from a Lean Muscle program (stamina)  to a Muscle Mass building program.  I enjoy the change of pace and I've had good results.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: April 13, 2009, 11:19:20 AM

Every 4 or 5 months my trainer shifts me from a Lean Muscle program (stamina)  to a Muscle Mass building program.  I enjoy the change of pace and I've had good results.

That's encouraging.  I haven't done this radical a change in my workouts since I was in my 20's.  I'm hoping to get back up around 40 miles of road work a week and reshape my body into something a lot more natural.  My diet has been really good, so the extra aerobic work should help me drop to 6% body fat in no time.  Right now, I'm around 10-12% and I feel really sluggish though it is nice to be able to bench and military press the same weight I did at 22.

The hardest thing to maintain is being both big and lean.  I can pack on the muscle by lifting and eating like a madman, but I lose so much muscle mass while cutting.  I think a more aerobic routine may be a better fitness package. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:22:37 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: April 13, 2009, 12:34:13 PM

That's encouraging.  I haven't done this radical a change in my workouts since I was in my 20's.  I'm hoping to get back up around 40 miles of road work a week and reshape my body into something a lot more natural.  My diet has been really good, so the extra aerobic work should help me drop to 6% body fat in no time.  Right now, I'm around 10-12% and I feel really sluggish though it is nice to be able to bench and military press the same weight I did at 22.

The hardest thing to maintain is being both big and lean.  I can pack on the muscle by lifting and eating like a madman, but I lose so much muscle mass while cutting.  I think a more aerobic routine may be a better fitness package. 

Actually, I doubt you will get those kind of results.  If you are looking to reduce your fat percentage, then you need to keep building muscle mass.  Cardio only burns calories while you are doing it, where building more muscle mass makes you burn more calories all day. 

In other words, as you lose muscle mass (which you will) you burn less calories.  Now if you are training for a marathon (like I am), but not so fine if you are just trying to lower body fat percentage.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: April 13, 2009, 01:28:24 PM

Actually, I doubt you will get those kind of results.  If you are looking to reduce your fat percentage, then you need to keep building muscle mass.  Cardio only burns calories while you are doing it, where building more muscle mass makes you burn more calories all day. 

In other words, as you lose muscle mass (which you will) you burn less calories.  Now if you are training for a marathon (like I am), but not so fine if you are just trying to lower body fat percentage.

Yes, I understand the metabolism bit very well.  I'm talking about changing my build rather than optimizing my BMR.  Building muscle mass is all fine and good until to try to carry it around during hiking, climbing, and other more aerobic activities.  The added mileage with a more natural approach is to offset the decreased BMR.  If I train more for muscle stamina than for size, I should have improved flexibilty and a lighter load along with a more natural looking physique.  Right now, I'm about 12" bigger in the chest than I am in the waist with pretty big thighs.  It's a pain in the ass to find clothes that fight well in a McDonalds society.  I'd be happy with a smaller and leaner build even if my body fat % stayed around 10% or so. 

-  Mark Twain
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: April 22, 2009, 04:01:03 PM

God help me, we're doing this in two weeks, and I've decided to join. I'm having a lot of fun with muscle building workouts mixed with running on the treadmill. Diet is super low, but the weight's coming off super slow. I'd like to think it's that way because I'm adding so much muscle.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: April 22, 2009, 04:36:37 PM

If you restrict calories too much, your metabolism will slow to compensate.  Keep your diet within 500 cal of your daily consumption for best results.  Oh... low fat and only complex carbs too. 

-  Mark Twain
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #254 on: July 03, 2010, 05:26:20 PM

Necro...

So....

Does this thing actually work? Anything you would need to buy beyond the kit itself?

In short, I work too many hours and get home too late (normally) to bother trekking out to some damn gym. An hour a day, in the comfort of my own home/apartment, seems workable.

However, I don't plan on changing my diet to some arcane formula or whatever, though my diet as of now isn't even terrible; I just don't exercise. Would be super-useful to have once I move overseas, where in many places there are no such things as "gyms."

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: July 03, 2010, 05:38:20 PM

I would say that the results are 60% exercise, 40% diet.  If you don't follow the diet, you won't get the results.  I see the same in the gym.  I can lift like a madman, but I only look my best when I watch my diet religiously and drink at least a gallon of water a day.  I'll also warn you that the failure rate for home workout is VERY high.  The advantage of a gym is that once you're there, you feel compelled to make the best of it.  Peer pressure seems to be helpful as well. 

-  Mark Twain
Strazos

Reply #256 on: July 03, 2010, 05:55:38 PM

I'm honestly not trying to get terribly cut...just some damn exercise so I don't die from being inactive for months at a time. I'm the heaviest I have ever been (though no one can tell, apparently), and I'd like it to stop.

Plus, following the diet probably requires eating salad or something...that's just not going to happen.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: July 03, 2010, 06:12:45 PM

I'm honestly not trying to get terribly cut...just some damn exercise so I don't die from being inactive for months at a time. I'm the heaviest I have ever been (though no one can tell, apparently), and I'd like it to stop.

Plus, following the diet probably requires eating salad or something...that's just not going to happen.

Calories in > Calories Burned = Weight Gain

That formula doesn't change.   Salad is a useful tool because 1) Veggies have good things for you and 2) It's a high bulk/low caloric meal, so can help maintain a full feeling.     I personally don't do a lot of salad these days, but I do mix in a lot of spinach and other leafy greens and vegetables with my meals to help bulk them out without adding a ton of calories and fat.  

You may need to discover this yourself, I certainly did, but exercising without changing your diet simply is going to lead you into a cycle where you will work out, find yourself starving, and then eat more.  You'll certainly be in better cardiovascular conditioning, but you won't burn fat.    

I didn't do P90X.    Instead, about 2 1/2 years ago, I hit my heaviest point ever.  I bought an ellipitcal, because that's what you do.  I spent 45 minutes on it a day.  I maxed out its resistance and religiously cycled through it's program settings for variety.  

In six months, I lost a total of 5 lbs.   It wasn't until I got serious about both exercise (Strength and cardio at the gym) and diet that I saw the results I wanted.

What I'd recommend if you don't want to get seriously cut, but simply want to up your activity -

Look into something like the couch to 5K program for running and simply make an effort to cut out the worst offenders (Soda and snacks) from your diet.  That alone will probably net you some significant results.  
Strazos

Reply #258 on: July 03, 2010, 09:11:57 PM

I should elaborate. My diet isn't the problem; I drink mostly water (though been doing more of that Vitamin Water stuff lately; found a flavor I can tolerate), and my caloric intake is probably not horrific. I also have high metabolism. I've actually started to look at labels when I eat things, and cut out the really egregious stuff like eating Ben and Jerry's when I'm home alone and bored on a weekend.

The problem is sitting in the office for 10-12 hours a day, and then coming home at night and...sitting around.

Also, no outdoor distance running; soft arch makes me practically flatfooted, and I have questionable cartilage in the knees...though for whatever reason, treadmills are fine.

Fear the Backstab!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #259 on: July 03, 2010, 10:13:02 PM

I'm a fan of lifestyle workouts. More stairs, park at the far end of the lot. Carry all the grocery bags (hey, I look chivalrous, too!). Find ways to do things the hard way. Chop wood. Use the push mower instead of the riding mower. Shovel anything under 8" of snow.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: July 04, 2010, 01:02:44 AM

I'm a fan of lifestyle workouts. More stairs, park at the far end of the lot. Carry all the grocery bags (hey, I look chivalrous, too!). Find ways to do things the hard way. Chop wood. Use the push mower instead of the riding mower. Shovel anything under 8" of snow.

That's great and all, but how much wood do you have that needs chopping?  Carrying groceries and walking from the far end of the parking lot doesn't really cut it in the conditioning department for a lot of people.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: July 04, 2010, 06:04:25 AM

I should elaborate. My diet isn't the problem; I drink mostly water (though been doing more of that Vitamin Water stuff lately; found a flavor I can tolerate), and my caloric intake is probably not horrific. I also have high metabolism. I've actually started to look at labels when I eat things, and cut out the really egregious stuff like eating Ben and Jerry's when I'm home alone and bored on a weekend.

The problem is sitting in the office for 10-12 hours a day, and then coming home at night and...sitting around.

Also, no outdoor distance running; soft arch makes me practically flatfooted, and I have questionable cartilage in the knees...though for whatever reason, treadmills are fine.

Treadmills help cushion the impact of your foot so it doesn't stress your joints to the extent that running on asphalt/concrete will. 

Depending on what you have near you, swimming and yoga may be really good alternatives for you to look into. They're both low impact solid cardio workouts that won't require you to spend a ton of cash up front on a home gym.    If you look into a gym membership, spinning classes are also a ridiculously good workout.  Or if you don't want to join a gym, biking in general is a great workout - if you have a good location to ride that is.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: July 04, 2010, 08:12:11 AM

That's great and all, but how much wood do you have that needs chopping?  Carrying groceries and walking from the far end of the parking lot doesn't really cut it in the conditioning department for a lot of people.
Look at how you picked that apart. Nicely done. My point is, if you approach life as a way to burn calories, you can make some decisions that will help you be more fit and healthier. I work with several people who will try to cram in a workout into their lunch break, but take the elevator.

The specifics don't matter, it's being more aware of how you live life and consciously choose the path that will burn more calories every day.

And diet still is an issue if you've 'just started' to look at labels. You have to develop a general plan for each day. I had added a paragraph about my fiancee's Weight Watcher membership that I deleted because she hates when I get too personal about her. But I watch her input her daily meals every night and it's an extremely powerful tool, just like keeping a budget that accounts for your finances can be. Seeing the input and some of the output (point discounts for exercise, we usually walk 45 mins a night), and there's also a tally for your RDA of veg/protein/etc. It's a good overview. Makes me chuckle, too, because although I'm not as concerned about diet as she, I tend to eat almost perfectly by WW standards - I tend to snack on apples and bananas, eat lots of lean protein and really bulk up the dinner plate with veg. The biggest thing I've learned from her is lots more mini-meals and smaller formal meals. And I'm blessed with no sweet tooth.

Even though you don't think diet is an issue, you might want to think about at least getting the WW web sub for a few months to see how it's really impacting the equation. For me personally, I have to watch caloric intake, because although I'm somewhat active, I used to be extremely active, and my body has 30 years of that in its muscle memory. It wants to eat like I'm still unloading trucks and riding my bike for miles followed by some rock climbing and swimming. Which brings me back to trying to find outlets, no matter how small, to burn calories in everyday life. It does add up, even if I'm burning an extra 100 calories a day, that's a "free" beer and over the course of a year is a huge amount of calories burned.

Also, to answer Arnold's question:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 08:18:28 AM by Sky »
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: July 04, 2010, 10:18:13 AM

Even though you don't think diet is an issue, you might want to think about at least getting the WW web sub for a few months to see how it's really impacting the equation.

Yeah, diet is aboslutely critical.  I mean sure, you CAN eat anything you want and still be in great shape, but that tends to be for people doing really crazy amounts of physical activity.  I've always said : Get strong in the gym, get cut in the kitchen.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #264 on: July 04, 2010, 03:29:35 PM

I've always said : Get strong in the gym, get cut in the kitchen.

If you can't wrap your head around this, you're missing the point of staying healthy.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #265 on: July 05, 2010, 07:41:52 AM

Track your calories formally, not informally.  Get a 5x7 notebook and write EVERYTHING that passes your lips down.  Commit to doing this for two weeks.  That's all, just two weeks.   Then after that two weeks actually do the math on it to find out what your caloric intake was.   You'll then have a clearer picture of exactly what you've been doing in terms of calorie intake.  If anything, you should guess that you'd been eating more prior to writing it down than during.

You need some physical activity, but what you're doing is making excuses.  If you really wanted to do something physical you would.  There's no other way around it.   There's resources on the web to find lots of low-impact activities (Swimming is one) as well as resources at gyms or your doctor to find what works best for your physically.

The one thing I will say is that you have to find something you enjoy doing.  I hate running but love swimming. If I were told I had to run daily, I'd find all kinds of excuses not to do it and I'd never make it past a mile.  I fucking hate treadmills and had access to one for years but never used it. On the other hand I've started swimming regularly and do about a mile 3 times a week after joining a gym with a pool only three months ago.  (1760 yards, or 71 laps in a 25yd pool)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Strazos

Reply #266 on: July 05, 2010, 09:58:28 AM

A few things:

Unfortunately, some of the stuff I end up eating from the downstairs cafeteria doesn't come with labels...would be hard to calculate that stuff. Or if I make a sandwich at home - how the heck do you calculate that?

You're right - I don't want to do something physical. Unless I'm skiing or playing hockey or something, I just don't find it to be all that enjoyable...that's not the point. Point is that I need something more convenient than coming home late at night, and having to turn around to go to...some gym (not even sure where). Another plus to this system is that I can take it with me when I move...not many gyms or treadmills where I am headed.

I think we got way off track on diets and such; just need to know if the system generally works, for real.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 10:37:12 AM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: July 05, 2010, 10:09:16 AM

I think we got way off track on diets and such; just need to know if the system generally works, for real.

What do you mean by "generally works"? 

Will it improve your general fitness level.  Yes.  Could you achieve the same increase in fitness level on your own without the program?  Yes. 

Buy a pair of power block dumbells and a chin up bar and surf the web for workout routines.  If you use these items for 3 days a week for a minimum of 30 mins a day and do aerobic activity at least 3 other days a week, you'll see great gains in fitness in the first 90 days. 

-  Mark Twain
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: July 05, 2010, 12:24:04 PM

The P90X routine is hard.  If you're not already fit you will not be able to keep up.  This means you'll go slower / do less than the people in the video and it may be easy to get discouraged.  I was already jogging 3 days a week when I tried the squatting routine and I couldn't keep up.  After sticking with it I could complete it with actual fitness gains; last time I went on a snowboarding trip I didn't get sore at all.

But like Nebu said it's just a set of routines.  Nothing magical.  For the routines you need weights / elastic bands and a pull-up bar.  An exercise mat would help.  If you are arcade loss for an exercise routine then the videos will get you there.

Everyone harps on diet because it is very important.  The P90X materials make it clear a poor diet will not produce fitness results, and it outlines what you should be eating.  If that's too complicated then start with simple things I did like no more coke in the fridge, fruit/nut snack instead of a candy bar and reducing fast food interactions will get you on the healthy train and you won't look back.

Also, read SnakeCharmer's post showing how diet is key if you haven't already:

Strazos

Reply #269 on: July 05, 2010, 02:30:42 PM

Thanks for the reminder; I remember reading most of that previously.

The thing that will hinder me no matter what I do is diet. I don't really drink soda anymore. Weekdays, if anything I under-eat because I'm just too damn busy. However I have a wicked sweet tooth, though I've taken to making a bit of oatmeal with Silk to alleviate that.

The big problem will be cooking and such; when it comes to cooking I just do not have the patience (or the know-how, and probably not the right instruments either). While I'm fine waiting 30-45 minutes when sitting in a restaurant, I simply cannot sit around prepping food that I cannot eat; it would drive me nuts late at night. Also, raw vegetables just won't happen, especially salad (just cannot stomach it).

So...it will be interesting.

Fear the Backstab!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: July 05, 2010, 06:00:19 PM

The big problem will be cooking and such; when it comes to cooking I just do not have the patience (or the know-how, and probably not the right instruments either). While I'm fine waiting 30-45 minutes when sitting in a restaurant, I simply cannot sit around prepping food that I cannot eat; it would drive me nuts late at night. Also, raw vegetables just won't happen, especially salad (just cannot stomach it).

To get good results you'll have to overcome this.   There's no easy way to say it.  Some of it you can get by simply by buying a grill pan (for fish, shrimp, chicken, or turkey burgers).  It takes next to no prep to slap a chicken breast on a grill pan, season it, and turn.  I also suggest eating more brown rice as it can be easily made with a rice cooker or you can simply buy the single serving microwave pouches.  

Simply stated: There's no shortcut to a healthy lifestyle.  That's the reason the diet business makes hundreds of billions of dollars every year.  People want a shortcut where no long-term shortcut exists.  If you want to get healthy and fit you need to learn to make healthy meals for yourself.  These will include raw/steamed veg, whole grains, and lean protein.  Eating anything else just won't lead to being healthy.  Making simple substitutions initially will help you move toward this goal and that's something I strongly recommend.  Once you start a workout program, you'll find that your food tastes and cravings will change.  After you begin to eliminate processed foods from your diet, you'll find that you crave them less... and many of them will even stop tasting good.  

-  Mark Twain
Strazos

Reply #271 on: July 05, 2010, 06:09:10 PM

That sounds mostly doable, if I can bypass blasted salads; I'd rather starve than eat cold lettuce and other veggies. swamp poop

Now I just have to figure out how to cook without killing myself with salmonella or botulism. Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: July 05, 2010, 07:08:16 PM

Start easy: get steam-in-bag veg from the frozen section and Uncle Ben's steam-in-bag whole grain rice. It's not the best stuff in the world, but a slab of cod takes about ten minutes in the oven and by then the veg and rice is ready, I do it for a lazy "don't feel like cooking" meal. I am looking into getting a steamer and rice cooker, though, the quality of the stuff I mention is getting a bit wearing, and there are additives in the rice I'd like to cut (plus save $ in the long run).
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: July 06, 2010, 12:00:52 AM

I've always said : Get strong in the gym, get cut in the kitchen.

I'd like to add: Don't "do cardio", do conditioning.

Don't be one of the hamsters you see clogging the gyms, living on a treadmill that's set at 1.5mph while staring blankly at a TV screen.  If you are going to get your heart pumping, do it for a purpose. 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #274 on: July 06, 2010, 04:02:20 AM

A few things:

Unfortunately, some of the stuff I end up eating from the downstairs cafeteria doesn't come with labels...would be hard to calculate that stuff. Or if I make a sandwich at home - how the heck do you calculate that?

Google It

http://www.google.com/search?q=calorie+counter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/

Woah, hard.

Yeah, the cafeteria food will probably be low and it's not going to be 100% accurate.  That's not the point.. the point is you'll see approximately how far over 2k calories you are.  I bet you'll be surprised.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: July 06, 2010, 05:15:00 AM

That sounds mostly doable, if I can bypass blasted salads; I'd rather starve than eat cold lettuce and other veggies. swamp poop

Now I just have to figure out how to cook without killing myself with salmonella or botulism. Ohhhhh, I see.

I'm just going to ask is it genuinely cold veggies you don't like or when you think salad do you think chopped iceberg lettuce with soggy tomatoes slathered in ranch dressing? Cause I'd hate that shit but a bowl of rocket and spinach leaves with some fresh tomatoes, toasted pine nuts and mustard vinaigrette is totally delicious (with a little goats cheese on occasion). I hate sounding like one of those "You hate X? You just haven't had good X, I'll cook some for you and you'll love it!" when someone genuinely just doesn't like the stuff but making a decent salad is so easy and healthy that it's great to find some form of it you enjoy.

The cooking thing really isn't too hard and just takes some practice, advice from someone who taught themselves to cook more or less. It is worth finding a decent cookbook to start with simply because it is very easy when you start to learn one or two dishes and just kind of stick to that. A recipe books makes variety much easier and really helps planning meals and shopping for them, Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food (I think it's Food Revolution in the States) is apparently a decent one for simple, healthy meals.

I guess I should state here I'm trying to get into some sort of shape that's not soft and pudgy. I've never really been fit or healthy and probably was in best shape a couple of years ago at the end of my BA just because I'd started running 3 or 4 times a week consistently. Since then I've gotten lazy again, do lots of walking but that's really it for exercise, occasionally SCUBA diving is really my only other activity and that's not much of a work out. Trying to start running again (I can manage about 3 miles and then my lungs decide it's time to get the hell out, doesn't seem to overly wear my muscles but clearly my aerobic system is shit) and bought some free weights. I don't hugely enjoy either but really I don't, and never have, enjoyed exercise. Importantly I don't hate them, I do hate team or competitive sports, so seems like my only option. Any tips on ways people have found to pace increasing exercise regimes or should I just stick to googling this stuff?

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: July 06, 2010, 10:22:38 AM

Any tips on ways people have found to pace increasing exercise regimes or should I just stick to googling this stuff?

When I tried starting jogging in the past I would push myself too hard and get injured.  If you hit 3 miles out the gate I would be careful about getting hurt.  And I found it helpful to run for a set time instead of distance.  I first started at 19 minutes and am now up to ~45 with slow/fast/slow intervals (intervals are much better than running at one pace).  Oh and decent running shoes make a big difference; I used to run in anything and would get shin splints but now my cheapy Saucony shoes keep me going.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: July 06, 2010, 10:28:58 AM

If you want to work up to about 3 miles (5K), I really really recommend the couch to 5K program.  It does a fantastic job of easing your body (Not just cardio, but your muscles and joints) into running that distance and minimizing your chance of injury.  Once you have that down and want to increase  your distance, Hal Higdon's site (http://www.halhigdon.com/) has a variety of training plans that people seem to like.   On a side note - once you hit about 3 miles multiple times  a week, you will most likely want to invest in a good pain of running shoes.  Go to an actual running store where they can judge your stride and recommend the proper shoe.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: July 06, 2010, 10:37:29 AM

just need to know if the system generally works, for real.

Yes, but like anything, you get out what you put in - and doing anything is better than doing nothing.  I still use it, although I'm not using the schedule it recommends.  I mostly do the plyo, yoga, stretching, and core stuff and watch my diet/how I eat mixed in with daily cardio, tennis, or walking the front nine at my local golf course.  I basically do what I want to do when I want to do it.

It was a great kick in the ass, though.  And it will kick your ass.

My wife is pretty hardcore about it.  Which is a good thing because it keeps my diet in check.  A proper diet is always the hardest thing for me because I've got such a wicked sweet tooth and love all the Southern foods that are really, really really bad for you.  Anyway, she does the routine religiously, follows the diet, and it keeps her in as good as or better shape than when she was a gymnast in college.
Strazos

Reply #279 on: July 06, 2010, 04:59:18 PM

I'm just going to ask is it genuinely cold veggies you don't like or when you think salad do you think chopped iceberg lettuce with soggy tomatoes slathered in ranch dressing? Cause I'd hate that shit but a bowl of rocket and spinach leaves with some fresh tomatoes, toasted pine nuts and mustard vinaigrette is totally delicious (with a little goats cheese on occasion). I hate sounding like one of those "You hate X? You just haven't had good X, I'll cook some for you and you'll love it!" when someone genuinely just doesn't like the stuff but making a decent salad is so easy and healthy that it's great to find some form of it you enjoy.

No, I genuinely hate cold veggies. Maybe it's a texture thing? I like dressing and vinaigrette and such, but cold and raw lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers... swamp poop
I have slightly more tolerance for raw fruit; bananas are fine, clementines are ok if they're just ripe enough, pineapples...but apples, oranges, grapes...blech...it's a shame because the actual flavors are fine, but I can only do a bite or two before my mouth just rejects the stuff.

Yes, I'm terrible.

Back to actual p90x....what do you do when you hit the 90-day mark; do you just start at the beginning of the program again?

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: