Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:34:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 477266 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: March 10, 2009, 01:32:59 PM

That was me.  I have two of them that I alternate out, depending on my mood (a 40 pounder and an 80 pounder).  All things considered, whaling away on these things is one of the best exercises I've ever done.  Just the regular boxing is a good all around workout, but if you add in the kicking part (and do it seriously), then it is taken to another level.  Also, my pretend Kung Fu skills are now extremely polished.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #176 on: March 10, 2009, 03:30:01 PM

Speaking of Kung-Fu and punching bags, I was telling Nebu to pick this up, but everyone should..

It's part of a larger series of books garnered from Lee's personal notes, but you can find it individually for cheap. It's the least combat centric one, and focused on fitness, so don't think it's for martial artists necessarily. Or even potential ones. It's a good book of tips and inspiration about endurance and functional bodybuilding. And in true Jeet Kune Do fashion, you can just take what's useful for you now (some of his routines are downright godly, so you'd probably kill yourself anyways). It's pretty impressive how much of his knowledge holds up. The thing that makes it stand out as a fitness book though is how it's function oriented. Just like his proclivity to shed laborious or useless combat skills, Lee was absolutely meticulous, in an age where it wasn't easy to gather nutrition and fitness knowledge, about working out towards a goal of function, and not just show-y-ness. The result was a 140 lb man powerful enough to kick a hole through one of those 80 pounders you're working on, Cyrrex, broke the chain, and left the stuffing all over James Coburn's lawn.. So before you say your kung-fu skills are extremely polished, think again! :P
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:34:28 PM by Stray »
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: March 10, 2009, 03:41:08 PM

Ooo, I like the reccomendation.

I'm trying to trim my weight down (already gone from  240 to 200 lb on my 6 foot frame). Trying to aim to improve my core muscles and that sort of thing. I want to do aerial cartwheels eventually  awesome, for real.
schild
Administrator

Reply #178 on: March 10, 2009, 03:49:07 PM

but it's getting tight for space in there already.

Throw some shit out you packrat.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #179 on: March 10, 2009, 04:16:50 PM

Ooo, I like the reccomendation.

I'm trying to trim my weight down (already gone from  240 to 200 lb on my 6 foot frame). Trying to aim to improve my core muscles and that sort of thing. I want to do aerial cartwheels eventually  awesome, for real.

That's probably Lee's biggest thing, so you'll find stuff here. He had some other philosophies about it being the centerpoint of willpower and spirit and other stuff that you can ignore if you like, but a lot of his routine was about expanding obliques/abs/back/ribcage area. Kind interesting that he was 5'7", but had a 31" waist.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: March 10, 2009, 04:22:43 PM

The result was a 140 lb man powerful enough to kick a hole through one of those 80 pounders you're working on, Cyrrex, broke the chain, and left the stuffing all over James Coburn's lawn.. So before you say your kung-fu skills are extremely polished, think again! :P

I said my fake Kung Fu skills, fake.  awesome, for real  I may be able to rig a bag to explode on impact of one of my powerful appearing (but ultimately wimpy) roundhouses, but it just seems like too much work.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #181 on: March 11, 2009, 01:35:27 AM

I am amazed by him though. I don't want to out and out say it's my personal goal to be like him (because I couldn't and don't have the same activities/objectives), but I'd like to achieve at least a fraction. I don't take martial arts as seriously as I used to either, so my "function" is a little more modest than his. I wonder if just "healthy living" is enough to keep me motivated to even achieve that though. Different types of athletes drive themselves to where they're at for performance gains. Better spring, better throwing, better running, etc.. Once you read up on Lee, his goal was to literally be able to kick everyone's ass. There was even a quote towards the end of his life.. Something along the lines of "In all honesty, I don't believe there is a single person who can beat me". Being obsessed about it drove him. At this point in my life, I'm not obsessed about anything athletic. It's all casual interest. So what exactly do I need to properly perform casual things without straining myself? Nothing! I'm already in shape for that...

Shit, I'm ranting. I think my point is.. I'm trying to find new athletic interests just so I can push myself to not suck at them. Yoru's an example here: He wants to mountain climb better. I need something like that.. It's actually more important than the exercise, I think.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: March 11, 2009, 02:05:06 AM

Just find something you like? I think you're right about having a goal, it's really hard to do anything without having one. And a bit of obsession is healthy  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #183 on: March 11, 2009, 03:25:26 AM

Yeah, I do need something I like.. But I'm sort of apathetic with my old hobbies (mostly basketball and skateboarding). Everyone's talking about their current "status of health" so that's mine. I think I'm fairly in shape, but have no particular aim to improve. Lee's book is all about having a particular aim, and I'd like to apply it somehow. Right now, my only goal is probably just to look better naked. Haha. But really, that's a bunch of bullshit.

[edit] deleted another rant. Drinking too much coffee.  why so serious?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:34:38 AM by Stray »
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: March 11, 2009, 04:02:38 AM

That's probably Lee's biggest thing, so you'll find stuff here. He had some other philosophies about it being the centerpoint of willpower and spirit and other stuff that you can ignore if you like, but a lot of his routine was about expanding obliques/abs/back/ribcage area. Kind interesting that he was 5'7", but had a 31" waist.

Is that strange?  And would you expect it to be bigger or smaller?  Genuine question, because I'm 5'6 and have a 32-31" waist.  I'm in very good shape, but even when I'm out a little out of shape it doesn't change much. 

Interesting thread. 
/back to semi-lurking
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #185 on: March 11, 2009, 05:26:43 AM

I mean, it's strange if your waist consists of entirely abs and obliques and have virtually no body fat.

There's being "in shape", and then there's Bruce "Chuck Norris Facts Do Not Apply to Me" Lee. Not only did he not have much fat, but he had muscles built in places that most people won't actually see on other human beings during their entire lifetimes. If you're that in shape, then I applaud you.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: March 11, 2009, 05:27:37 AM

I'm 6' tall with a 33" waist and a 44" chest.  I don't find that waist to be unusual at all.  I'm not even that lean... yet!

Stray: I think the key is to make working out part of daily life.  You don't really need an athletic component, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt.  I used to augment my workouts by playing basketball and running daily.  Without basketball, I'm finding it hard to go for a run every day so I understand your point.  Maybe it's time to find a new hobby?  See what's going on in the area.  If it's cold, pick up skiing.  Maybe golf?  Maybe something in the water?  I know that there are a lot of athletic programs around the country.  You just have to find them.  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:32:00 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #187 on: March 11, 2009, 05:47:43 AM

No, I guess I'm not making sense. I'm just talking about a passion and specializing your physique, not merely augmenting with activities. It's not that I don't play sports or don't still skate a bit. I do. But when you have an activity you're obsessive about excelling at, and love, then you target the areas best suited for it. People who do that always look the most impressive. Lee, for example, at first might not come off as striking as a bodybuilder, but that's because he didn't care to focus on certain things. He thought big pecs, for example, didn't carry much use in combat, and eventually slimmed that area down a bit. He thought they slowed his guarding. He did, however, see that he could toss and pull the fuck out of people with big forearms. Hence, it became a goal to create ungodly forearms for himself. Goes for any athlete really. Runners and Swimmers have certain body types, dirtbike riders get into all kinds of intense circuit training and strengthen their backs and wrists, etc..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:51:06 AM by Stray »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: March 11, 2009, 06:29:04 AM

No, I guess I'm not making sense. I'm just talking about a passion and specializing your physique, not merely augmenting with activities.

I see now.  I misunderstood.  I was recruited heavily to play baseball in college.  When I made the commitment to play football instead, I spend 6 months reshaping my body for the sport.  It's exactly as you say: you want to maximize your utility given the rigors of the activity you want to be specialized at.  Interesting...

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #189 on: March 11, 2009, 07:01:02 AM

Throw some shit out you packrat.
I've got some lumber and building materials, garbage cans, riding and push mowers, snowblower, tools and a couple guitar amps. I'm no packrat, but I don't buy into throwing out perfectly good stuff that I need just to make some space. Just need to organize, I moved in late last summer and had more pressing needs than organizing my garage. I still need space for a couple cords of wood and a small wood workshop, so even after I get it set up it won't have room for a workout area.

Bruce Lee is the man. Great mix of focus and genetics. I'm not much for show muscles, when I was unloading trucks and working out regularly I looked like a skinny little turd until I flexed. It was all useful strength, almost no show muscle at all. I liked being underestimated all the time, looking like a 98lb weakling and being able to wrestle guys twice my size and win easily. My favorite thing about walmart was the paid workout, which I augmented with bike riding, traditional stuff like situps/pushups and some bench work. Could literally not put on any mass, and I won't drink a shake or poke a needle or whatever.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #190 on: March 11, 2009, 08:13:47 AM

I'm 6' tall with a 33" waist and a 44" chest.  I don't find that waist to be unusual at all.  I'm not even that lean... yet!

Oh, umm.. I'm not sure if I'm misreading or you are, but I meant that Lee had a big muscular waist for someone his size. He was as fat free as it gets, but still thick there. I mean, sure it's easy to have a 31" waist. Lots of 5'7" Joe Blows probably have 31" waists. But for a typical dude, it'd be a belly. Even a typical fit person might just a little soft there. While Lee was hard as a rock. From his armpits to his waist, his physique went straight down like a square. So yeah, I think it's a little different looking (well, not entirely.. a lot of boxers are built similarly. Bodybuilders and such seem to like to slim up there though).

[edit] Just to add, wtf happened to Arnold. swamp poop

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:26:44 AM by Stray »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: March 11, 2009, 08:31:17 AM

Well, bodybuilders are really going for that...triangular shape.  You know, the massive wide shoulders and chest, with the smallish waist.  Apparently, that is what the virile male figure is supposed to look like?  I like Bruce's approach that functionality trumps form, and you can't really argue the results.  And really, he still kind of gets that effect with his freakishly big lats.  Seriously, those things are monsters.

nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: March 11, 2009, 10:27:04 AM

Men are upside-down triangles. Women are hourglasses. I think we learned this at school.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #193 on: March 11, 2009, 02:28:59 PM

Yeah, but it just seems like aesthetics. Just like most notions of facial beauty. We're all supposed to have square jaws, furrowed brows, big squared bottom lips, and v-shaped torsos. Sounds like a bunch of bullshit. I've always wondered about this.. what the "ideal" human shape might be, what would be good for surviving in a prehistoric age, where you were fighting off beasts and/or chasing after them.. wtf use would some burly ass superman shape do for you? You'd be slow and have a bunch of muscle in areas that'd just get in your way. You could barely run and barely move your arms. You might be a deterrence at best, but more than likely, you'd probably get your ass owned quick, and just be a tasty dinner for some other animal. And if you look at a human skeleton, there's no support for it (not that you can't do it, just that the underlying frame is different).

If you look at the gorilla frame though, it's basically the same as they are built with flesh. It seems like something a Lee or a Muhammad Ali was doing was more ideal/natural for the human frame. In their activities, they show it as well. Both of them were simultaneously lightning quick, agile, had massive endurance, and were powerful.. things that would have easily placed them as cream of the crop killers even back then.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:32:52 PM by Stray »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #194 on: March 12, 2009, 03:13:11 AM

[edit] Bah, fuck it. I'm gonna stop talking about martial arts fitness here.

Postcount ++ awesome, for real
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:16:46 AM by Stray »
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: March 12, 2009, 12:56:23 PM

Are you talking about fitness from a fighting viewpoint or a sport viewpoint?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: March 12, 2009, 02:58:21 PM

I think he's talking about...figuring out what your real goal is, and then perfect your body for that task.  Shit, I think that's what we're all sort of talking about.

Stray, the MA stuff is interesting, no need to stop posting on it.  The Bruce Lee angle is fascinating.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #197 on: March 12, 2009, 07:30:41 PM

Yeah, that's a simple way of putting it. Thanks. I can get a bit too convoluted for my own good sometimes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: March 16, 2009, 08:33:49 AM

For anyone looking for a tracking program, you may want to take a look at www.fitday.com.  Counts calories and all nutritional values, as well as an exercise tracker, weight tracker, etc.  I've only begun to toy around, but it appears to be potentially awesome.  The food search function is a bit annoying, but I'm guessing it gets easier as you add to your personal log of stuff.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #199 on: March 16, 2009, 05:58:43 PM

Stray, the MA stuff is interesting, no need to stop posting on it.  The Bruce Lee angle is fascinating.

OK, here's one more thing.. Anyone know anything about "PHA" (Peripheral Heart Action)? It's another thing Lee adopted, instead of working out the typical way through multiple random sets. The principle is similar to circuit, but basically just about alternating your exercises between Upper Body and Lower Body.

This method of training forces the blood to quickly circulate through the body, increasing caloric expenditure and theorized to decrease body fat and increase muscle mass.

Overall, circuit training (in general) has been shown to increase caloric expenditure in comparison to similar traditional resistance training where a client may rest up to 90 seconds in between sets. Key benefits of using a circuit training system such as peripheral heart action system include enhancing an aerobic base for clients, while simultaneously challenging local muscle endurance.  Many clients may not be familiar with peripheral heart action training and thus, may have concerns about whether they can sustain the activity or whether or not they will be able to build muscle using this type of program.  We will address these questions for you.

Most healthy individuals can perform this type of training.  Whether your client wants to lose body fat, or increase muscle tone – this system of training can work for them.  With increased movement comes increased caloric burn.  This form of training gives weight loss clients “more bang for their buck.”  This system can even be used for bodybuilders or recreational exercisers who wish to increase hypertrophy. While the rest periods between exercises may be greatly reduced (or non existent) this meets the requirements for hypertrophy.  In fact, most individuals seeking hypertrophy tend to rest too long in between sets and lift too heavy to train appropriately for their desired goals.  Remember that several factors are required for hypertrophy (high levels of volume with minimal rest periods force cellular changes that result in an overall increase in muscle size) – volume (3-5 sets; 6-12 repetitions; 2:0:2 repetition tempo), frequency (3-6 times a week), intensity (75-85 percent of 1 rep max), rest (0-60 s), and proper nutrition (please see the article archive for nutritional requirements for Hypertrophy).  As you can see, the PHA system works well for hypertrophy clients, allowing the proper rest and volume to achieve the desired goal – while even adding in a bonus of saving some time!

Athletes may receive the best benefit from PHA training.  While endurance athletes must still engage in aerobic activity that significantly increases their maximal oxygen consumption, circuit training (which includes PHA training) increases maximal oxygen consumption 4-8 percent (significantly less than cardiovascular conditioning programs, but important in increasing local muscular endurance).(2,3)

[edit] Random link btw.. if it sounds too "market-y", I apologize.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:01:55 PM by Stray »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: March 17, 2009, 05:23:56 AM

It sounds too markety in one respect:  I don't get it.  How is it actually different than circuit training?  Also, unless I misunderstand, some of those principles seem to be in conflict with bodybuilding concepts, although it claims it can work for that purpose as well.  I suspect it is great for a balance of cardio/muscle toning.  But again, I'm not sure I'm even understanding what it is.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #201 on: March 17, 2009, 05:54:19 AM

No, it's not bodybuilding, correct. Although we'd probably have to define "bodybuilding". I mean, it's still resistance, and you will build muscle, so long as follow general diet guidelines.. So it's bodybuilding in the technical sense. Hell, practically anything is bodybuilding to people who don't exercise, so whatever.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? But it's really weightlifting functioning as intense cardio. It is a circuit routine, but one with a theory in mind that the body benefits the most when blood is flowing to all parts of the body equally. I'm just mentioning it.. I don't know all of the details. I know that it was first popularized by a former Mr. Universe, who was obviously a bodybuilder.. which is how Lee got wind of it. Lee's probably the biggest name associated with it though. And it isn't marketing.. It's a 40 year old routine, developed by a scientist. Not a company.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:10:28 AM by Stray »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: March 17, 2009, 06:14:17 AM

Okay, I get it now (saw your link before your ninja-edit awesome, for real).  I suppose if you lifted heavy enough, it would build muscle to a degree.  Not in line with my current goals, but interesting nonetheless.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #203 on: March 17, 2009, 06:20:05 AM

I edited, because those were just routines. Not informative enough. I've only mentioned it because of Lee, but it's interesting to hear this guy Bob Gajda (the Mr. Universe in question who popularized it). He badmouths a lot of modern age principles, but I bet he's on to something. He got where he was back then without even a fraction of the crazy shit dudes do to themselves these days (you can say the same for Lee, even though he was smaller).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #204 on: March 17, 2009, 06:45:57 AM

Actually, you want to read the end of that interview if you're actually interested in it. It's kind of over my head, but pretty cool. I thought it was just about bloodflow, but it's about all fluids. And according to him, it is bodybuilding.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: March 18, 2009, 09:47:21 PM

A bit of an update with 2.5 weeks or so to go...

Phenomenal results. 

Current weight is 181.  Dropped 13 inches off my waist (down to 33), 2 inches off my neck (down to 16.5), 8 inches off my hips (down to 35).  Chest measures in at 43.5 inches.  Right thigh is 22.25, left thigh is 22".  Arms come in at just shy of 16 inches.  I don't quite have the six pack, and I still have just a tiny bit of love handles, but I figure those will never go away unless I do some massive cutting, which I won't do.

I've had to get an entirely new wardrobe and new suits.  As soon as I figure out what my son (or wife) has done with the cord to hook up the digicamera, I'll grab some pics.

To be fair, I've cheated a bit, and I probably should come clean with it.  After a couple weeks, I ended up hiring a nutritionist to come to my house and clean out our pantries and show us how/where to shop.  We've gone to nearly 100 percent 'organic' stuff, cut sugar and salt entirely (or as much as humanly possible).  It was troubling to see all my favorite (bad) foods being tossed out, but it was what was needed to be done.  We had gotten into really bad eating habits (actually mine basically had continued since college when I was working out twice a day and could eat anything and everything).  We eat nothing fried, I've cut my red meat intake to minimal amounts and have drastically upped my fish and chicken intake (mostly fish these days).  Lots of veggies.  Some fruits, but mostly veggies.  Lots and lots of water or water/gatorade mix (about 70/30).  I tried a soda yesterday and it was so disgustingly sweet I couldn't finish 1/4 of it - it also made me feel uncomfortably bloated.  I haven't had a fast food burger in weeks - hell, I haven't had anything fast food since it started.  Not sure if I could eat it without hurling.

I also hired a personal trainer to come and observe me working out to ensure that my technique was sound.  To be fair, I'm naturally a very athletic guy.  I have large core muscles, that are naturally built for power.  I'm not an endurance guy.  Never have been.  Even for my size, I'm much quicker than average, and have always had very high hand/eye coordination.  I've always excelled at sports; I played Div I baseball at University of Alabama (starting SS 3 out of 4 years), and if I were a tad bit faster, probably could have played Div I football <somewhere>.  I was looked at to play football at several Div II schools, and a handful of Div I schools, but baseball provided the ride through school, so that's what I played.  Point is, I'm not (nor have I always been) some dumpy overweight guy that just had a miraculous turnaround with an infomercial workout system.  So, in that respect, it's not really in me (so to speak) to be a fatbody.  No one in my family, either immediate or extended is as heavy as I was, or even proportionally so.  We all come from pretty good stock.  My brother played Div II football, my father played in the minor leagues for a couple years until his father died in a car wreck.  And as the oldest of a family of six, he gave up baseball to come home and run the family businesses.  My mother was a gymnast.  We all come from pretty good stock.

I think the biggest thing for me was my eating habits.  I ate too fast, which lead to overeating because I ate too fast.  I ate at irregular intervals.  Didn't eat breakfast, didn't have snacks, during the day, ate too late.  I was perpetually dehydrated.  My weight gain in my neck started causing sleep apnea (also related to smoking).  The sleep apnea compounded the weight gain issue, and I gained more weight due to insufficient rest.  A couple years ago, when I tested for sleep apnea, I was having something like 80 sleep apnea episodes an hour, and my blood oxygen level was dropping into the 70's percentage's, if memory serves.  When I opened up my company, I spent many a night entertaining clients - which meant heavy, long dinners with lots of alcohol - scotch and bourbon in particular.  Lots of travel.  So, I had a number of factors working against me healthwise. 

But what the P90X diet and eating program (and the nutritionist) did was effectively teach me how and what to eat again.  My wife and I relearned how to cook.  How to prepare foods.  How to recognize when I wasn't hungry anymore, and to make myself stop.  We even bought smaller plates.  So much of it for me is perception.  Growing up, the rule around the house was 'clean your plate'.  I've never been a big sweet eater, so that wasn't an issue - although I've got a wicked weakness for Reeses miniatures.  Put a bag of those in front of me, and I turn into a human Dyson vacuum.  I stocked the kitchen at my office with the necessary foods and snacks, and rarely ever ate a meal out during lunch unless it was with a customer or a vendor.  And even then, I ate very lightly.  Maybe a piece of grilled fish or chicken, and a salad.   

In many ways, the weight gain I had a secondary negative impact as far as my personality went.  I became distant from friends, disliked going out to social functions, and it really sent me into a withdrawn state.  I had zero energy.  Rather than getting out and doing stuff - whether it was golf, fishing, working in the yard, I had developed a very bad couch potato syndrome - whether it was sitting on the couch or in front of my computer after work, and after everyone went to bed.  Staying up too late, not getting enough rest.  I had zero patience; even my 'online' persona became that of a complete asshole.  Bitter at everyone, hating everything.  The reality of it is, I hated myself, projected that outward to everyone and everything.  I was a tyrant at work.  Constant fighting with my wife.

It's been a radical lifestyle change back to where I was, say, 5 or 8 years ago.  And for me, it's been all for the better.  I spend less time online.  Less time gaming.  More time outside, being active.  I spend more time with friends - whether it's helping them with whatever, or if it's a social gathering.  I've gotten to know some old friends again that I'd lost touch with.  I couldn't tell you the last time I played my 360, or even fired up Steam.   I don't think I'll ever play another MMO, heh.  I can keep up with my 2 year old son.  Play tennis with and against my wife again.  I've started playing golf again, walking 9 holes every other day, and 18 every Saturday morning at daybreak either solo or with a regular foursome of guys I've met at the course.  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed walking the course, much less playing.  Dusted off my old Ping walking bag and tossed my Titleist cart bag into the closet.  Totally quit smoking. 

tl;dr version:  Started P90X, achieved fantastic results - loses 40 pounds in 10 weeks.  Drastic lifestyle change.  Man turns life around.  Becomes nicer and better person. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #206 on: March 18, 2009, 10:09:02 PM

You're a 33 waist at 181? Wow. How tall are you? I was a 34 at 228. I need to lose some weight since my diet I gained back 10 quickly (inevitable) but I constantly hover around 235, still fit into all the 34s and 36 pants I bought along with everything else.

Also, what you just described isn't cheating "a bit," it's pure professional help. awesome, for real I can barely afford ramen.

Edit: (I did not become a nicer guy after losing 70 lbs, but then, I wasn't angry because I was fat, the fat had nothing to do with it, I'm angry because humanity is stupid, and losing some more weight ain't gonna make them less stupid). Also, all of this is a lot easier when you have a woman around kicking your ass to get it done, there's absolutely no question that it makes all the difference in the world.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:11:25 PM by schild »
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: March 18, 2009, 10:20:41 PM

Good discipline and maturity to get help, listen to it, and follow it through, though.

Have you stopped being a racist dick, along with all the other behavioural changes?
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: March 18, 2009, 11:48:18 PM

Nice story.

The food we eat and the habits we develop when we're young have such a big influence and most of us don't realise it. Getting help is always a good thing - if you're not in a position to get professional help just try and do something with a friend for motivational reasons.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: March 19, 2009, 06:25:38 AM

Stuff...

Thanks for the followup.  That's a wonderful story and I hope people here are paying attention. 

Funny thing is that you've described my eating and lifestyle pretty well.  Except the social part...  I still mostly hate people.

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: