Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 477176 times)
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: January 12, 2009, 07:27:59 PM

Just got done with disk 1 (chest/back, ab ripper x).  Holy cow I'm whipped.  It is unreal how much atrophy my abs have suffered from sitting at a desk for far too long.

That said, the good:
Managed to keep up better than I thought I would.
Did the exercises at my own pace, but didn't stop unless they stopped

The bad:
I've got a looong ways to go, but am optimistic and looking forward to it.  So I guess that's a good as well.

The ugly:
The pre-fight measurements:  Weight 222, Chest 46", Waist (measure around the belly button) 42", Hips 43", R Thigh 23", L Thigh 22.5", R Arm (middle of bicep) 15.5", L Arm 15.0", Neck 18.5"

And just in case you don't want to see fat assed middle aged white guy

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #71 on: January 13, 2009, 09:46:04 AM

Good luck man. No retreat, no surrender!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: January 13, 2009, 01:52:52 PM

Well done.

Don't give up.  There will be times that you want to. 

Best tip I can give for the food part of the program: if you start feeling hungry, drink a glass of water.  Early on the body sometimes confuses thirst impulses for hunger. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: January 13, 2009, 03:17:25 PM

Many thanks.

I read that somewhere a good while ago (thirst = hunger sensation).  That's pretty much what I've made up my mind to do.  I'm following the diet as closely as possible, so hoping for good results. 

I don't expect to go from fat ass to Mens Health cover ready, though.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #74 on: January 13, 2009, 05:55:18 PM

Measurements in non heathen systems:
78kg, 184cm
Chest 104cm, Waist 92, Hips 94, RT 50, LT 49, RA 36, LA 35

Day 1

"Push ups?  Ohhhhh, I see. 25. Bah"
"Oh, wide chin ups, that should be easy" *does 12* yup. easy.
"Some other kind of push ups? HAHA. ...and 5, 6..............7.....................fuck"
"Fuck."
"Fuck."
"Shit."
"DIAMOND PUSH UPS?  ACK!
and repeat, only with more swearing and sweating.
Ab Ripper was fun. Got to that hand moving ab thing by the end, had never seen it before, Maxie twist or something. That was a quick "oh god kill me quick" thing.

Half naked pics with 13 year old shorts coming tomorrow.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: January 13, 2009, 08:35:48 PM

Haha, nice bro.  Keep it up and good luck!

On a side note, the diet has made me, well, slightly gassy.  So much so the dog looks at me occasionally with a face of 'Dont EVEN think about blaming that on me"
Nightshade
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: January 13, 2009, 08:38:07 PM

I've had the privilege of being a Personal Trainer for the past few years.  If you need any advice, I'd be more than happy to help you on your quest to shape up!

- Night
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #77 on: January 14, 2009, 05:18:39 AM

Heh. Usually it takes at  least 24 hours for me to start feeling muscle soreness after a workout.
Been 12 hours now and my triceps are completely shot  awesome, for real
Plyo today should be fun   Heart

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #78 on: January 14, 2009, 05:26:53 AM

Delayed-onset muscle soreness is bad news, after the initial breaking-in period at least.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #79 on: January 14, 2009, 05:34:03 AM

Triceps are some of the most neglected muscles, I think.. Would be natural to feel some pain there early on.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: January 14, 2009, 10:02:04 AM

I thought THIS story might motivate you.  Pretty amazing transformation.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #81 on: January 14, 2009, 10:04:25 AM

Screw you guys, and your crazy workouts, I flashed my first 5.11 last night :)

I picked up that detachable pullup bar from last page; it was $40 and so far I really like it. A few pullups on the way to the bathroom a few times a day, plus doing stuff on my offdays should be interesting to see. Yes, it's not a real workout, I realize that. Better than nothing! :)

Tell me more about not drinking your fruits and veggies. I assume this excludes smoothies? I'm pretty addicted to smoothies, especially fruit smoothies. My favorite is strawberry banana; 1 cup lowfat strawberry yogurt, 1 banana, 6 strawberries and a cup of apple juice. Blend with ice and enjoy. No, it's not SUPER healthy with all that sugar but it beats the hell out of soda. I haven't found a good vegetable smoothie that I like yet; I don't care overmuch for tomatoes but I do like and will drink carrot juice.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: January 14, 2009, 10:10:27 AM

Tell me more about not drinking your fruits and veggies. I assume this excludes smoothies? I'm pretty addicted to smoothies, especially fruit smoothies. My favorite is strawberry banana; 1 cup lowfat strawberry yogurt, 1 banana, 6 strawberries and a cup of apple juice. Blend with ice and enjoy. No, it's not SUPER healthy with all that sugar but it beats the hell out of soda. I haven't found a good vegetable smoothie that I like yet; I don't care overmuch for tomatoes but I do like and will drink carrot juice.

It's fine as an alternative but not ideal.  Considering your use as an alternative, I'd say it's an improvement in diet and something I'd support.

Now, if you wanted to know the best way to eat fruits/veggies, I'd say that eating it as it occurs naturally is far superior for a variety of reasons.  It's a relative thing. 

-  Mark Twain
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #83 on: January 14, 2009, 10:46:59 AM

If you don't really like veggies, just chow them down with some dip. I'd sure as hell prefer that before a veggie drink.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: January 14, 2009, 10:53:37 AM

The problem with 'drinking' your food, is that humans have an innate desire to chew things.  I can imagine that's true, and after a while it would be a bit, I dunno...weird.

There's also theory that food that is chewed is harder to digest than food that is 'drank', thus more calories are expended.  Or something.  Don't necessary buy that, but there ya go.

I generally stick to water, V8 with loads of pepper and tabasco, and OJ that's been watered down by about 50 percent.  Not drinking southern style sweet tea is KILLING me, however.

Edit:  How cow at that girl in Nebu's link.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #85 on: January 14, 2009, 10:58:15 AM

Wow, that's ridiculous. I mean, I prefer chewing veggies, but I doubt that makes much of a difference in calorie burning. That's the kind of maniacal shit I'd expect from OCD fitness types though, who measure things to a T. You're only burning like 15 calories in a minute, going at a steady pace on a cycle. I would think that "chewing" food is extremely negligible.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: January 14, 2009, 11:02:59 AM

The same thing was said about Tabasco in foods.  Hot foods cause the body to heat up and sweat, expending more calories.  That's not why I do it, I like the taste of spicy tomato juice / bloody mary mix.

But yeah, there's some really whacked out weird stuff out there.
Yoru

Reply #87 on: January 14, 2009, 11:14:15 AM

Since you have a pullup bar at home, you might want to do some straight-arm hangs during the day as well. I do them after my workouts, more or less randomly. Just grab the bar and hang with your arms almost fully straight (not locked, but also not really flexing the arms/shoulders), try to hold it for a minute.

If you can do that no problem, try doing it with just one arm. I also vary it by sometimes just gripping with fingertips, sometimes with the first joint, second joint, etc.

Since I can only get out to the climbing gym once or twice a week up here, these are really necessary to keep my grip and forearm endurance up. Also, my gym only has bouldering - there's no tall walls up here. Outdoor climbing is great, but only possible a few months out of the year.

Grats on the 5.11 by the way; that's roughly the level I was at before I moved and ceased being able to do anything taller than bouldering frequently. It only gets harder and more awesome from there.

Are you leading yet?
Nightshade
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: January 14, 2009, 11:15:32 AM

I picked up that detachable pullup bar from last page; it was $40 and so far I really like it. A few pullups on the way to the bathroom a few times a day, plus doing stuff on my offdays should be interesting to see. Yes, it's not a real workout, I realize that. Better than nothing! :)

I'd say kill the apple juice, it should be sweet enough with the other fruits, and you'll be cutting a lot of sugar out of that drink.  There is no problem about juicing your fruits and vegetables, just don't drink V8.  :P
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #89 on: January 14, 2009, 11:26:00 AM

Well, it's more about trying to pack the calories in. They aren't the best calories, but they are better than nothing. I have trouble eating a lot - fast metabolism + small stomach. So whenever I eat at meals I try and drink something with calories. I have read I can replace the apple juice and the yogurt with 2% milk, which I'll probably try this week. I need to gain weight in the worst way and it's a pain just to maintain for me much less actually gain. I've stepped up my workouts recently and have started doing some focused exercises in addition to my regular tri-weekly climbs (which aren't really workouts, but wishful thinking makes them such).

What I really lack is a good way of doing vegetables. I'm pretty limited since I don't cook and I tend to eat fast food for probably 4 meals a week (total - either for lunch or dinner one day) which I know doesn't help. I do it pretty much for convienience. I do try to get fairly healthy stuff, though, generally grilled chicken or a salad - but all the meals generally come with fries and there are no vegetables to be found anywhere (considering I dislike tomato). I'll snack on fruit easily enough but veggies other than cucumber just aren't appetizing raw.

Yoru: yep, I'm doing the hangs as well randomly. All the standard climbing stuff. I passed my lead climb test a few weeks ago, but I'm not comfortable leading on anything harder than a 5.9 - it's too stressful. I thought I had cracked my fear of heights (one of the reasons I started climbing) but it came back with a vengeance with no rope above you and knowing there's 10+ feet of rope in the system when you go to clip, and that you could take a fall, a real fall, just messes with my head.

Oh, I've also discovered the best thing, ever. You never forget to take your multivitamins when they are...

Gummy Vites!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:38:14 AM by bhodi »
Yoru

Reply #90 on: January 14, 2009, 12:01:40 PM

Yoru: yep, I'm doing the hangs as well randomly. All the standard climbing stuff. I passed my lead climb test a few weeks ago, but I'm not comfortable leading on anything harder than a 5.9 - it's too stressful. I thought I had cracked my fear of heights (one of the reasons I started climbing) but it came back with a vengeance with no rope above you and knowing there's 10+ feet of rope in the system when you go to clip, and that you could take a fall, a real fall, just messes with my head.

Nice man. Leading is pretty much where it's at. It opens up a lot of stuff outdoors, and at my old gym there were a full two walls that were lead-only with some real interesting features and technical stuff.

Those ropeless jitters get better, but not by a whole lot. Maybe once you've been doing it a few years; I know I'm not at that point. I think I worked up the courage to lead a 5.11a once, but it was one I had top-roped over a dozen times and knew by heart.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #91 on: January 14, 2009, 12:03:04 PM

High calorie drinks eh? Can't gain weight? First off, drink a protein shake in the morning. Don't do shit with it. Afterwards, hit Starbucks and get anything with White Chocolate in it. For lunch and dinner, go to Burger King. Chocolate Ice Cream Shake (950 cal). Always have Big Gulps around throughout the day (600 cal). After work, get drunk on Pina Coladas.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #92 on: January 14, 2009, 12:05:37 PM

High calorie drinks eh? Can't gain weight? First off, drink a protein shake in the morning. Don't do shit with it. Afterwards, hit Starbucks and get anything with White Chocolate in it. For lunch and dinner, go to Burger King. Chocolate Ice Cream Shake (950 cal). Always have Big Gulps around throughout the day (600 cal). After work, get drunk on Pina Coladas.
I tried to cut BACK my sugar intake! Unsweetened iced tea instead of soda; black coffee, and I don't generally drink more than a glass or two of wine a week. I'm pretty sure I'd just develop a belly if I ate like that, skinny or no.

Yeah, leading routes are definitely a lot more interesting - there are a ton of overhangs, caves, and that's actually one reason I'm focusing more on workouts - I've got good balance and I'm skinny so vertical faces with pinches are my strongest point; anywhere I can keep my weight on my feet. Overhangs are my weakest.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 12:09:45 PM by bhodi »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #93 on: January 14, 2009, 12:16:15 PM

I tried to cut BACK my sugar intake! Unsweetened iced tea instead of soda; black coffee, and I don't generally drink more than a glass or two of wine a week. I'm pretty sure I'd just develop a belly if I ate like that, skinny or no.

Heh. Well besides what you're drinking, protein shakes (at least the good ones) are fairly low on fat and sugar, but high in protein and calories too. Cytogainer is a 600 calorie drink, but with 5g of sugar (and something like 50g of protein?). Of course, it's not just meant to be drunk.. You'd probably develop something like a sugar belly if you didn't utiilize it.. but it's a godsend for skinny guys like you and I (note, I don't bother with it myself). I don't know what to tell you as far as things to get on-the-go, in a restaurant (besides tea, water, and coffee like what you're doing). Even the lemonade will kill ya.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 12:20:34 PM by Stray »
Nightshade
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: January 14, 2009, 02:29:20 PM

I'm sorry but what kind of nutritional advisement is this? - You can still gain weight if you are a hard gainer (like myself), and do it in a healthy fashion.  Eating fast food should never be a nutritional recommendation.  Calories aren't calories - your body processes it differently, not to mention the huge amounts of sodium and lethal amounts of trans-fat's you are ingesting from Burger King, but then again, I guess it depends if you are consuming food for taste or performance.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:31:22 PM by Nightshade »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #95 on: January 14, 2009, 02:30:19 PM

Nightshade needs green text. But he won't get it.
Nightshade
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: January 14, 2009, 02:37:46 PM

Nightshade needs green text. But he won't get it.

Green text, good?
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #97 on: January 14, 2009, 02:40:16 PM

Green's used for sarcasm around here. All the cool kids skip it, tho.
Stray's earlier post was in jest.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #98 on: January 14, 2009, 02:43:01 PM

Yoru

Reply #99 on: January 14, 2009, 03:14:41 PM

Yeah, leading routes are definitely a lot more interesting - there are a ton of overhangs, caves, and that's actually one reason I'm focusing more on workouts - I've got good balance and I'm skinny so vertical faces with pinches are my strongest point; anywhere I can keep my weight on my feet. Overhangs are my weakest.

Yeah that helps a ton. I used to be just like that, and I'm a skinny bastard too. Since I've been climbing rarely but lifting regularly, it's reversed; there's this wicked V3 overhang marathon with some awesome heel-hooking action that I can absolutely kill at my gym while V2s or V2+s with crimp or pinch grips kill me.

It's really quite frustrating to look at a route, know how to climb it technically and then just have your fingers give out on the third move.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #100 on: January 14, 2009, 05:10:01 PM

Day 2: Plyometrics, which is codespeak for Squats.
Legs gave out several times during the disc, and had to use the pause button a lot. Heart rate was at 180bpm most of the time, even with the pauses. Extremly glad that I didn't have to go down any stairways, because this thing sure as fuck gave me a bad case of drunken legs.

Can't see Day 3: Shoulders and Back, going very well, since my shoulders, trapezium and back are still quite a bit sore, but hey, who needs to flex their arms more than 90º, or get up from chairs without help anyway?

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: January 14, 2009, 06:46:02 PM

Day 3 (Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps) wasn't quite as fun as the rest.  Mostly due to soreness I was feeling from Monday.  Shoulders are a bit of a worry for me because I've got a really bad right shoulder (rotator cuff) that snaps, crackles and pops on any rotational movement.  If you put your hand on my shoulder, you feel the bones grinding together.  So I have to take it very, very easy with that part otherwise it could knock me out for a couple weeks.

Whoever designed the Ab Ripper program must have a pain fetish.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #102 on: January 14, 2009, 06:49:21 PM

Day 3 (Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps) wasn't quite as fun as the rest.  Mostly due to soreness I was feeling from Monday.  Shoulders are a bit of a worry for me because I've got a really bad right shoulder (rotator cuff) that snaps, crackles and pops on any rotational movement.  If you put your hand on my shoulder, you feel the bones grinding together.  So I have to take it very, very easy with that part otherwise it could knock me out for a couple weeks.

Whoever designed the Ab Ripper program must have a pain fetish.

I was using the Ab ripper program over the summer as my 'ab workout'.  It's great except some of it makes my lower back hurt.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #103 on: January 19, 2009, 07:09:53 AM

First week was a miserable failure due to ungodly ammounts of lactic acid build-up in arms, back and tights. Only managed to do 2 days of exercise, and then lost the capability to perform an angle lower than 90º or bigger than 160º, with both arms, without suffering intense pain for the rest of the week. Arms only stopped hurting today, legs still aren't completely recovered. Will write that week off as non existent and start from scratch today.

schild
Administrator

Reply #104 on: January 19, 2009, 07:12:53 AM

Oh cool, the girl in Nebu's picture went from nerd to sassy bitch. Truly, a transformation. Let's hear it for society!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: