Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 477138 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 03:29:47 PM

I don 't mind appliances for any occasion.  I still get misty-eyed thinking about the day Righ gave me my Dyson.  I love it.  Lots.  Now he's bought me a nice computer.  Is that an appliance?  Anyway - it's nice.  Maybe for Easter he'll buy me an egg cooker and a bunny.  I'd love a bunny.  Hopefully my giant ginger pussy won't eat it.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #36 on: January 05, 2009, 04:54:46 PM

It's called skyr, and it's basically a type of cheese made from skim milk. It has the consistency of yogurt and the following nutrition per 100g:

The carbs and protein account for 20g. What's the other 80?

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: January 05, 2009, 04:58:09 PM

I've heard there's a US brand that's sold at some Whole Foods and similar hippie stores, so it might be much pricier over there.

And it tastes like shit. But I haven't seen many travel channels praise Iceland for good tasting food.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #38 on: January 05, 2009, 05:26:08 PM

Cod!  That's what they eat in Iceland.  Do they eat anything else?  Dunno but I could live on cod.  I love cod.  God, I can't stop saying cod. 

Cod.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 05, 2009, 05:55:18 PM

It's called skyr, and it's basically a type of cheese made from skim milk. It has the consistency of yogurt and the following nutrition per 100g:

It sounds very similar to cottage cheese but with yogurt cultures.  Non-fat cottage cheese has very similar proportions of protein to fat and carbs.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #40 on: January 05, 2009, 06:47:41 PM

Water. It's goopy, like yogurt.

It sounds very similar to cottage cheese but with yogurt cultures.  Non-fat cottage cheese has very similar proportions of protein to fat and carbs.

Kinda tastes like that, but milder and smoother. It's actually really good if you blend in some fruit or (my favorite) a drop of 100% pure maple syrup; the flavor of the skyr itself is pretty light, so it tends to get mostly subsumed by whatever you put in it.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 11:30:25 PM

I am a phd medicinal chemist that went to med school.  I may know a thing or two that could help.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

For real? Of have I fallen into the sarchasm?

"Body for Life" I could use a good fitness book. However a google search on the author shows he acquired his reputation and fortune writing a magazine about steroids use. Which raises doubt in my mind.

I had a third thing, but I forgot.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 06, 2009, 06:36:09 AM

For real? Of have I fallen into the sarchasm?

Sadly, yes.  Too many years in school for my pathetic paycheck.

As for Body for life, I like it because it greatly simplifies the workout.  3 days of weights, 3 days of aerobic training, and a solid food guide.  If you want to save $20, you can easily find all the same information online.  www.bodybuilding.com has some useful information and also some cheap protein powder and bars. 

I pretty much summarized the book in my points, but omitted the specifics of the workouts and the nutrition guide. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #43 on: January 06, 2009, 12:32:47 PM

Got everything ready and a-waiting. HURRY.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 06, 2009, 01:27:16 PM

Waiting on the pull up bar, which should be here today or tomorrow.  Otherwise, I'm ready to go.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 06, 2009, 01:29:59 PM

Target and Amazon are selling the Iron Gym pullup bars pretty cheap.  I bought one a few weeks back and use it daily.  It's been pretty stable and a nice way to work lats, shoulders, and biceps a bit more after a run.  I paid like $20 for one and I'm pretty happy with it.  I made some elbow straps and also use it for extra stomach work.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #46 on: January 06, 2009, 02:57:41 PM

Holy crap, Nebu. What are you, Bruce Lee? Complaining about double digits..

I've slimmed down quite a bit recently, and I'm still in "double digits" (at 11.8%).

I've looked into the P90X thing before, but I don't really want to bulk up. I probably haven't been in as good of shape since I was 19 or 20 or so (back in highschool, I was a damn preying mantis.. after school, I packed on a few pounds.. but then it went out of control for awhile.. then sort of average.. and now back where I am now).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 02:59:42 PM by Stray »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 06, 2009, 07:14:35 PM

Holy crap, Nebu. What are you, Bruce Lee? Complaining about double digits..

I've slimmed down quite a bit recently, and I'm still in "double digits" (at 11.8%).

Up until I hit 38, I was 6', 205 lbs and about 6-8% body fat.  Chicks dug the washboard. 

Now that I'm into my 40's, I lift 5 days a week  (3 days upper body splits, 2 days legs/abs), run 5 days (mixed mileage and fartlek training), ride my stationary bike 5 days (not always the same days), and play basketball 3 days a week.  I just can't seem to get below about 12% anymore.  It's pissing me off.  I think I may be closer to 14% right now and I'm cutting hard over the next 6 weeks to see what will happen. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 07:27:23 PM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #48 on: January 06, 2009, 08:00:59 PM

So all that fitness, and you're a scientist.. Does your name happen to be Gordon Freeman by any chance? Haha

[edit] I'm scrawny in comparison (6'4" and a ghastly 175 now.).. I could probably benefit from something like this and get to 200 (in a proper way), but honestly, I'm happy the way I am now. If nobody likes it, they can go fuck themselves -- in the end, that's the real key to fitness right there  tongue.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:26:07 PM by Stray »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: January 07, 2009, 08:21:26 AM

I'm happy the way I am now. If nobody likes it, they can go fuck themselves -- in the end, that's the real key to fitness right there  tongue.

That's 100% correct.  I workout because I like the feel of a tight body.  Vanity helps in those times when I don't want to run, but it's hardly my primary motivation.  With my luck, I'll still die from a heart attack at 50. 

-  Mark Twain
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 07, 2009, 09:24:49 AM

5'10" and 225 right now.  Though I'm lucky to have the frame to carry it.  Anything below 180, and I look all kinds of funky.  My ears poke out and the nickname 'Radar' comes to mind.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 07, 2009, 09:38:08 AM

Funny anecdote: When I was at 6% body fat, my GP told me that I was 25 pounds overweight during a physical.  I laughed and asked him why.  He stated that, according to a BMI chart, I should weigh 175 - 180 for being 6' tall. 

I got a new physician the next day. 

-  Mark Twain
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #52 on: January 07, 2009, 10:03:33 AM

BMI has also seemed a crock to me, but is still there and going strong as a concept.  Cripes.

So, are we "fat blogging" or not?  I'll join in but I don't want to spend any coin on this offering (got my own gear).
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 07, 2009, 10:08:51 AM

Funny anecdote: When I was at 6% body fat, my GP told me that I was 25 pounds overweight during a physical.  I laughed and asked him why.  He stated that, according to a BMI chart, I should weigh 175 - 180 for being 6' tall. 

I got a new physician the next day. 

Wow.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #54 on: January 07, 2009, 05:33:31 PM

I'm happy the way I am now. If nobody likes it, they can go fuck themselves -- in the end, that's the real key to fitness right there  tongue.

That's 100% correct.  I workout because I like the feel of a tight body.  Vanity helps in those times when I don't want to run, but it's hardly my primary motivation.  With my luck, I'll still die from a heart attack at 50. 

By the way, I didn't mean any offense by that. I just mean we should all do what makes us happy in the end. It's madness worrying about what other people think.

I suppose you got that though. smiley
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 08, 2009, 09:38:35 AM

By the way, I didn't mean any offense by that. I just mean we should all do what makes us happy in the end. It's madness worrying about what other people think.

I suppose you got that though. smiley

No offense taken.  I was agreeing with you that the whole point of working out beside the health benefits is to make yourself happy.  Fuck what others think!

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 08, 2009, 12:19:04 PM

I always put on weight over the winter and go back to the gym after the Superbowl.  Then I work out and diet, drop the weight then I end up hurting my knee/elbow AGAIN and then slack off for the summer.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 08, 2009, 12:21:58 PM

I am starting to hate the new year.

Every January, at whatever university I happen to be faculty at, it's the same story: the first 3 weeks that school is back in session the gym is PACKED with idiots on their new year's resolution.  By week 4, they've all mysteriously vanished after they realize it takes dedication and commitment.  I really hate the gym in January!

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 08, 2009, 01:16:26 PM

Hence going back after the superbowl.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #59 on: January 11, 2009, 12:54:20 PM

Otherwise, I'm ready to go.

Really?

Starting monday.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 11, 2009, 01:09:45 PM

Yup yup.  Good to go. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 11, 2009, 01:43:13 PM

Did some reading on this program and it looks like you guys are in for a great workout.  Best of luck to everyone involved.  I'm going to be doing it the usual way in the gym and on the road. 

I hope that you post some updates.  I'd like to hear your reactions monthly.

-  Mark Twain
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 11, 2009, 02:05:56 PM

That's the plan (monthly update, or if something goes awry (injury, whatever)).

I'm actually planning on taking a daily picture wearing the same thing from the same distance everytime and putting it together in day 1 to day 90 montage video or something.  Will be interesting to see a 90 day transformation in a 30 second spot.
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #63 on: January 11, 2009, 02:39:29 PM

I'm actually planning on taking a daily picture wearing the same thing

They recommend half naked. Right Said, Fred.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Thinking about weekly updates. We'll see.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 11, 2009, 04:02:28 PM

The key to any excersize program is just doing it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 11, 2009, 05:18:13 PM

I'm actually planning on taking a daily picture wearing the same thing

They recommend half naked. Right Said, Fred.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Thinking about weekly updates. We'll see.

Haha.  I should clarify I wasn't going to post a daily picture here.  Maybe a start and end when it's all said and done.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: January 11, 2009, 07:49:42 PM

Post a picture of the Stay Puft Marhsmallow Man followed by a picture of 80s governator.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: January 12, 2009, 11:56:53 AM

Up until I hit 38, I was 6', 205 lbs and about 6-8% body fat.  Chicks dug the washboard. 

Now that I'm into my 40's, I lift 5 days a week  (3 days upper body splits, 2 days legs/abs), run 5 days (mixed mileage and fartlek training), ride my stationary bike 5 days (not always the same days), and play basketball 3 days a week.  I just can't seem to get below about 12% anymore.  It's pissing me off.  I think I may be closer to 14% right now and I'm cutting hard over the next 6 weeks to see what will happen. 

What's your view on supplements like CLA?

I am starting to hate the new year.

Every January, at whatever university I happen to be faculty at, it's the same story: the first 3 weeks that school is back in session the gym is PACKED with idiots on their new year's resolution.  By week 4, they've all mysteriously vanished after they realize it takes dedication and commitment.  I really hate the gym in January!

This too.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
schild
Administrator

Reply #68 on: January 12, 2009, 01:13:14 PM

Post a picture of the Stay Puft Marhsmallow Man followed by a picture of 80s governator.

am i doin it rite?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 12, 2009, 01:55:07 PM

What's your view on supplements like CLA?

Snake oil.  Eat right and you won't need any supplements.  If you are a picky eater or can't afford to eat right, a multivitamin will be more than sufficient assuming you are getting the proper amount and proportion of fat/carb/protein.   

If you want to discuss the merits of any particular supplement, I'll be happy to go into biochemical detail.  I just ask that you start a new thread so as not to derail this one.

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: