Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:50:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 477180 times)
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

on: January 04, 2009, 07:53:54 PM

Otherwise known as "Looking for random internet partner(s) to undergo excruciating pain and misery with, as well as push each other to completion".

Possibly it was a not so subtle hint from my wife that I needed to get my flabby rear back into shape, but this was one of my Christmas gifts.  Possibly it was revenge for getting her a Dyson vacuum cleaner a couple years ago for Christmas.  In my defense, SHE WANTED THE DAMN THING!!  No, apparently, I still don't know women.

Will be starting next Monday Jan 12th.  I'm waiting on some workout gear that I ordered to arrive, so I have a week left of laziness.  If you can't afford it, you know where to find it.  It will take a while, but you'll get it.  Also, the documents are available also.  If you can't find the docs, I'll type up the workout schedule and email it to you.  The diet is a bit big to type up, so, there's not much I can do there.  Unfortunately, I just don't have time to do it otherwise I would.

Anyway, what is absolutely required:
Door chinup/pull up bar (resistance bands can be used in lieu of bar).  This bar or similar, these bands or similar.
Dumb bells adjustable or up to 50 lbs each (resistance bands can be used in lieu of db's)
Solid chair that allows for your knees to obtain a 90 degree angle, and feet flat on the floor.  This will be used in weight exercises as well to assist you in pull ups (if needed).

Recommended:
Push up bars (easier on hands, wrist and isolate the muscles better)
Yoga mat, bricks (mostly for comfort).  Will also be used in plyometrics.

Since receiving it, I've messed around with some of the vids.  Totally kicked my ass, but in a good way.  I didn't go 100 percent with it, as it was mostly just to see how the vids played out and get a feel for some of the yoga/plyo/kenpo moves, which is something I've never done before.  Fun, but definately hard.  He's a bit cheesy, but in a good way.  Does a good job of keeping you motivated.  All that said, I'd say if you can't honestly pass the initial fit test, don't do it.  If you have a history of back issues, I'd definately stay away.

If anyone is interested, I figure we can update here or PMs or whatever you feel most comfortable.  I'm 50/50 in posting before/after pictures of my ugly mug.  Nothing like constructive criticism at the outset from the peanut gallery to keep ya going  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

/Jerry McGuire Who's coming with me!?!
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 07:57:36 PM

This is the thing they did for the Spartans in 300 right? I watched some of it. It's fucking scary. Much as I'd like to do it, my body is... afraid.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 08:00:27 PM

We talked about that once (I think) when you told me about your diet thing.  I don't know, to be honest. 

Wouldn't surprise me if it was.

[Edit] You could probably do it, just a modified version with less weight at the beginning/first time around.  I'm pretty confident you could find it if you wanted to, so that said, let me know and I'll send you the workout schedule/rotation.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:02:40 PM by SnakeCharmer »
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 08:01:05 PM

We talked about that once (I think) when you told me about your diet thing.  I don't know, to be honest. 

Wouldn't surprise me if it was.
Your avatar needs a new hair style.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 08:16:08 PM

What.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:56:39 PM by Azaroth »

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 08:19:01 PM

This is the thing they did for the Spartans in 300 right? I watched some of it. It's fucking scary. Much as I'd like to do it, my body is... afraid.

The infamous "300 workout" was, to my knowledge, a timed gauntlet style workout that wasn't actually used on a daily basis or anything.

I'm also pretty sure that their nutritional coach strongly recommended "B12 shots".

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 08:30:15 PM

I think you missed the point about the Dyson, but that's neither here nor there...

The diet book is actually quite nice.  It gives you exactly what and how much you should eat and when during the regimine, as well as recipes.  The plan is to follow it as close as possible, but I entertain clients pretty regularly (or am treated by others in the biz) so that's going to be a true commitment test for me.  I don't drink much (if at all) anymore, so alcohol won't be an issue.  The only supplements I'll be using are what are recommended on the diet plan; which is really nothing more than a protein bar and shakes for mid meal snacks.

I'm lucky enough that I drop weight fairly fast, even at my age.  The problem is my own bad eating habits, as well as spending 10 hrs a day at a desk.  Most of which is work, some of which is gaming.

Really, really looking forward to it though.  More than anything, it's something I can do from home on my own time.  And it will be something I can do in the interim until I can get a decent home gym together in our new house, which is something I didn't have in our old house.  Going to a gym just isn't in the cards for me in that I value my family time, especially that time after I get off work and spend a couple hours with my son before he goes to sleep at 8 pm.  Morning times and after work is 'our' time, so a workout at home is the best option for me.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 08:45:09 PM

Well, I'm fairly quick to bitch about women.

It's good that it comes with a diet book, though.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 09:20:22 PM

If you don't have a lot of time for family, could you have your wife join in, in a common area to be around your son as well (I don't know how old your son is)?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 09:21:36 PM

Heh.  He's two.  I don't think he's quite ready for the squat machine.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 09:22:34 PM

I love P90X.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:57:14 PM by Azaroth »

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 09:25:54 PM

I didn't mean have him join in as well, just have him in the same area? I don't know how your family operates, so I don't know if this sounds crazy or not.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 09:34:43 PM

We do everything together, but jumping around and lifting weights probably isn't the best thing for him to be around.  He'll want to get in on the 'fun' and such.  After he saw me using the push up bars, bless his heart, he tried doing the same thing.  He's all about doing what daddy does, and I'm scared I might fall or drop something on him or something.  So, best thing for now, is to wait until he goes to bed.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 09:51:08 PM

Makes sense.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 12:03:09 AM

Tried it for about 4 weeks. Eventually Wrath of the Lich King hit along with the Holidays and, well, that was it for P90X.

I'm going to go back to exercising Jan 5th but I'm going to just do simple stuff and not the fucking torture fest that was P90X.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 02:20:16 AM

/Jerry McGuire Who's coming with me!?!

I'll do it. I'll be genuinely surprised if it works better than ps2+rpgs+bycicle.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 08:25:42 AM

I'm going to go back to exercising Jan 5th but I'm going to just do simple stuff and not the fucking torture fest that was P90X.

Pansy....DO IT!!  Or rather...BRING IT!!

I'll do it.

Do you need any of the workout information?
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 08:37:52 AM

Nope. Got everything.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 08:55:37 AM

Possibly it was a not so subtle hint from my wife that I needed to get my flabby rear back into shape, but this was one of my Christmas gifts.  Possibly it was revenge for getting her a Dyson vacuum cleaner a couple years ago for Christmas.  In my defense, SHE WANTED THE DAMN THING!!  No, apparently, I still don't know women.
No matter how much she wants an appliance, don't get it as a Christmas/Birthday/Anniversary/Valentines gift.  Make it a weekend "Hey honey, let's go get the vacuum you've been wanting" trip.  Fiscally it costs more.  Emotionally you win.  And you don't get exercise equipment for Christmas.

Note: If your sweetheart is really into capentry, mechanics, or such then some things might be appropriate.  Don't count on it though.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 09:01:22 AM

I already workout like a madman, but would be willing to try something new to change things up. 

1) Do you have a link that outlines the EXACT workout that you are doing? 

2) Do you have some metrics that you'd like to compare to motivate people?

3) I'm an old fucker, but I'd be willing to put my ability up against any of you youngins.  My bodyfat % has hit double digits for the first time in years and I'm pissed off enough by it to really hit this hard.

Oh... I'm sick of running in the rain and am looking for a good treadmill if anyone has any suggestions.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 09:04:58 AM

1)  No links, unfortunately.  However, it's not just 'do 2x12 curls', you actually have to go along with the vid at their pace.  The chest and back vid alternated between various forms of pushups to pull ups and back and forth all the way (rest one side, immediately work the other/alternating muscle groups).
2)  Not offhand, more than anything, it's Tony Horton barking at  you on screen  Scratch that.  Just re-read what you said.  Not really.  But open to suggestions?  It's a bit hard to compare gains (or loss as the case may be) since we're all different and starting at different points.  My gains/loses would be much higher than your since you're already in good shape?  But yeah, am open to suggestions.
3)  Old fucker vs youngins?  Hardly?  I'm on the bad side of 35, my friend.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:07:38 AM by SnakeCharmer »
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 10:19:27 AM

I do a fairly standard 5x5 resistance workout, personally. I've been going to my current gym regularly since September, which is more or less shortly after I got my shit in order after moving.

On resistance days:
  • Stretch
  • 1 km run @ 12-14 kph, minimum 5 minutes OR 5 minutes rowing (moderate pace)
  • THEN, in random order, though staggered so the upper-body exercises are spaced out by lower-body ones:
  • 5x5 Squats
  • 5x5 Deadlift
  • 5x5 Benchpress (bar or dumbbell, varies)
  • 3x8 pullups, aiming for 3x10 soon
  • 5x5 military/overhead press (bar or dumbbell)
  • 5x5 Bent-over Row (bar or dumbbell)
  • Finally, a cooldown stretch

Sometimes I'll do a couple minute-long straight-arm hangs before the cooldown stretch to improve my rock climbing grip endurance.

Then on cardio days I'll one out of a number of different things:

* Crazy-ass intervals on a bike for minimum 20 minutes (maybe beyond, until exhaustion). Wouldn't call them high-intensity but I'm usually wiped after 15-20 minutes of these. I do these on a 1-3 split: 15 seconds high speed, 45 seconds moderate speed.

* 5 kilometer run, with a strategy of jogging the first quarter-KM around 10.5-11 kph and then running the other three-quarters KM around 12.5-13 kph. My best so far is 24m40s.

* 30 minute run, pushing speed up as high as possible for as long as possible (usually a few minutes at 14-15 kph), then dropping down to a 30sec walk, then back up to a 1minute jog around 10kph.

* 15 minute run, as close to flat-out as possible, followed by a 5 minute rest, followed by 15 minutes of rowing.

I switch this up so much because Just Running or Just Biking is just too boring. I don't have an iPod or anything, so I tend to just stare into the darkness outside the windows and get absorbed into my own thoughts.

On the days where I don't get rides (most of them), these are bookended by 1.5km walks to/from the gym, which make for nice warmups/cooldowns. I end up doing resistance 3 times a week, cardio twice a week, rock climbing once a week, and then full rest for the final day, with the corollary that I never do resistance or cardio two days in a row.

I do it mostly because it keeps me sane, and because it's a fun challenge. It's a pretty sweet rush whenever I crank up one of my weights or break a 5K time record.

And, yes, I'm a young fucker. smiley
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 10:19:48 AM

1)  No links, unfortunately.  However, it's not just 'do 2x12 curls', you actually have to go along with the vid at their pace.  The chest and back vid alternated between various forms of pushups to pull ups and back and forth all the way (rest one side, immediately work the other/alternating muscle groups).

Bah... I hate proproetary workouts.  There's nothing revolutionary out there, just new versions of old stuff.  I guess I'll just stick with going to the free weight room 5 days a week.  

If you still want to keep in touch, I'll be happy to compare my methods with yours to help us both keep motivated.  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 10:22:34 AM

I switch this up so much because Just Running or Just Biking is just too boring. I don't have an iPod or anything, so I tend to just stare into the darkness outside the windows and get absorbed into my own thoughts.

Buy an iPod shuffle.  It's small and holds a ton of music.  Best workout investment I've ever made.

-  Mark Twain
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 10:27:02 AM

or just buy any non-apple mp3 player. It's smaller, cheaper, and 1gig is more than enough. Plus, you don't have to mess with that accursed iTunes thingie.

Young one here. Current workout is nonexistant. Has been for the last 6 months. 20% body fat. I'll haxx if my muscles stay sore for more than 24 hours.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 10:30:37 AM

I'll haxx if my muscles stay sore for more than 24 hours.

You'll have muscle soreness for the first two weeks and then find that it goes away.  Your body is a pretty amazing machine and will adapt to whatever torture you put it through.  The key is to make sure that you drink enough water and have a good diet.  Of course, proper sleep is a must as well.

-  Mark Twain
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 10:33:25 AM

Oh... I'm sick of running in the rain and am looking for a good treadmill if anyone has any suggestions.

My wife picked up a treadmill from a gym that was upgrading, it's real heavy duty and has lasted years (6 now). It requires 220v though, so might require some additional electrical work to put one in. After seeing the cheap ass crap they charge thousands for at the sporting goods store, this is the way to go.

- Viin
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 10:36:09 AM

You'll have muscle soreness for the first two weeks and then find that it goes away. 
Haha, no.
Done this starting again after a period of inactivity thing several times before. The secret to avoiding (or greatly diminishing) muscle soreness lies in chemistry. Good diet, psh, nonsense.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 10:40:05 AM

Haha, no.
Done this starting again after a period of inactivity thing several times before. The secret to avoiding (or greatly diminishing) muscle soreness lies in chemistry. Good diet, psh, nonsense.

Well... I am a phd medicinal chemist that went to med school.  I may know a thing or two that could help.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

-  Mark Twain
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 10:43:34 AM

I knew it.  awesome, for real

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 10:45:09 AM

Bah... I hate proproetary workouts.  There's nothing revolutionary out there, just new versions of old stuff.  I guess I'll just stick with going to the free weight room 5 days a week.  

If you still want to keep in touch, I'll be happy to compare my methods with yours to help us both keep motivated.  

It's actually a good bit of fun.  As I mentioned, I started messing around with it to get familiar with it, also to help alleviate some of the soreness that will inevitably hit me once I go full throttle.  The vids are 52ish minutes long; you're never stopping for never more than a minute.  Your heartrate gets up and stays there.

But yeah, let's definately keep up.  

The secret to avoiding (or greatly diminishing) muscle soreness lies in chemistry.

Well... I am a phd medicinal chemist that went to med school.  I may know a thing or two that could help.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Puff puff give.  What are you taking?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 10:58:27 AM

Since I love lists:

1) The only supplements I've ever used with regularity are a multi-vitamin. I do this to ensure that I have proper B vitamin intake per day.  It's amazing how vital B vitamins are for proper biochemical function. Also, make sure that your vitamin E, A, and iron don't exceed 100% daily.  Too much iron + vitamin C make a powerful pro-oxidant combination... which is bad. Similarly, your liver stores excess fat soluble (ADEK) vitamins... also bad. 

2) Water.  This and milk are the only liquids I consume with regularity though I do still have a diet coke fettish.  Never drink your fruits and vegetables, you miss all the good stuff. 

3) I eat a protein bar or drink a protein shake 20-30 minutes before each workout to ensure that I have high serum protein levels during the workout. 

4) Try your best to only eat high quality, whole grain carbs.  Processed food is the devil. Similarly go for high protein, low fat proteins.  I keep my daily food intake to about 1800 calories and less than 30g of fat.  I also eat 5-6 small meals a day to keep the furnace burning.

5) Body for Life is the best fitness manual I've found.  Some great suggestions for workouts and diet. 

6) Build muscle to increase basal metabolic rate.  At least 3 workouts per week should increase muscle mass.

7) Do aerobic activity to promote cardiovascular health. Again, at least 3 x 20-30 mins per week. 

8) Modify your routine every 8-10 weeks.  Your body will adjust to torture, so you need to keep it guessing for maximal results.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:00:13 AM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 11:01:53 AM

Good info, thanks.  I was mostly curious as to what you're using/taking for soreness.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 11:05:34 AM

Good info, thanks.  I was mostly curious as to what you're using/taking for soreness.

I really don't have much soreness unless I work anaerobically for extended periods (post glucose depletion).  In those first few weeks of a new workout regiment or times where I'm trying to up my max I tend to use naproxen (trade name: aleve) if I feel I really need something to get past the soreness due to inflammation. 

-  Mark Twain
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 02:48:03 PM

3) I eat a protein bar or drink a protein shake 20-30 minutes before each workout to ensure that I have high serum protein levels during the workout.

It's probably not available unless you live in the Northeast US, but up here in Iceland we have what is probably some of the best workout food ever. It's called skyr, and it's basically a type of cheese made from skim milk. It has the consistency of yogurt and the following nutrition per 100g:

71 kcals
13.5g protein
3.3g carbohydrates
0.5g fat
0.28mg (18% recommended daily intake) Vitamin B2
103mg (13% recommended daily intake) calcium
175mg (22% recommended daily intake) phosphorus

A 500g tub of this stuff is roughly $1-$1.50 up here. I chow down on a full 500g tub after each workout for a nice 60+ grams of whole animal protein. There's flavored varieties, but those mostly just add a whole shitton of sugar and some fruit or vanilla extract.

I've heard there's a US brand that's sold at some Whole Foods and similar hippie stores, so it might be much pricier over there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: