Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 03:07:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 486505 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1190 on: November 12, 2013, 12:05:04 PM

I'd go to the doctor in a heartbeat if I didn't have to basically pay for it entirely out of pocket because of a high deductible. 

But it's December! End of the year!
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1191 on: November 12, 2013, 04:47:49 PM

Rhys, I have lost about 65 lbs so far this year. Early in, I had several gout flare ups. I also have plantar fasciitis in one of my feet, but that bone spur has been there for a long while. I would get it checked out. It seems like your body likes to throw in a few major "fuck yous" as you begin and continue losing.

That said, I am now working on prepping for my first 5k on Nov 11, so I am sure that my bitching a out shin splints and plantar will be immense.

As to what I have been doing to lose the 60...pretty much solely eating right and the Your Shape 2012 game/software for the Xbox w/ Kinect. I have just switched to some other plyo circuits that I saw in Men's Health as I have been stuck on a plateau as I gain muscle mass and lose fat.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1192 on: November 12, 2013, 05:04:32 PM

Rhys, I have lost about 65 lbs so far this year. Early in, I had several gout flare ups. I also have plantar fasciitis in one of my feet, but that bone spur has been there for a long while. I would get it checked out. It seems like your body likes to throw in a few major "fuck yous" as you begin and continue losing.

That said, I am now working on prepping for my first 5k on Nov 11, so I am sure that my bitching a out shin splints and plantar will be immense.

As to what I have been doing to lose the 60...pretty much solely eating right and the Your Shape 2012 game/software for the Xbox w/ Kinect. I have just switched to some other plyo circuits that I saw in Men's Health as I have been stuck on a plateau as I gain muscle mass and lose fat.

Big props man. I've lost and gained 25 pounds all year.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1193 on: November 12, 2013, 06:33:07 PM

I am confused how Slack can be prepping for a 5k that is in the past  ACK!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1194 on: November 13, 2013, 02:47:29 AM

But after last Wednesday, I started getting a pain in the outer edge of my right foot when I walk or put weight on it, or bend my ankle.  It's mostly in the space under my ankle and I'm not sure what's causing it.  I haven't stepped wrong, up until my foot started hurting I didn't have any problem walking, and I haven't hurt it in any other way that I can recall.  It hurt but I didn't have any problems doing the full 30 mins on Thursday and Friday either.  I take the weekends off and this morning, only walked 20 mins just to be safe.  The pain faded as I walked (and I felt like I could have done the full 30 mins, but I was tired, too) but then it came back when I was leaving.

Without knowing exactly where the pain is, it's difficult to even suggest what it may be. But covering a few things (and apologies that this is the inside of the left foot rather than outside of the right but it's the best I could find to work with)

If the pain is in the red area then it's possibly the ligaments playing up (Calcanealfibular ligament or Anterior talofibular ligament).
The green area may well be an achilles related problem.
The blue area (under the heel on the sole of the foot) would suggest Plantar Fasciitis.

If the pain fades while you're walking then it suggest that it may well be muscular and probably related to tightness or constriction (tears, strains and joint damage tend not to fade when muscles warm up). Usual treatment for something like this would be RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) treatment for a short while and see how that helps.  In terms of rehabilitation, foot exercises, ankle strengthening and stretching/massaging your calves may help long term. (Tightness in the calves often has a significant domino effect all the way down to the foot and is a big contributor to PF in runners, for example.)

Obvious disclaimers: IANAD or physio (only a PT and coach) and none of this may be relevant. As everyone else said, always err on the side of caution and don't push it if it really hurts. But you knew that already. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  Happy to provide suggestions and resources for any of the stretching/strengthening exercises though.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1195 on: November 13, 2013, 03:00:21 AM

In other fitness stuff, I ran my first race since injury on Saturday (and first race this year) - a 6 mile cross country affair that was wet, muddy and had a mile long hill that we had to go up twice. Had forgotten how hard running off road could be. Pleased with how it went on the whole. Have a 9 mile trail handicap race weekend after next which should be amusing too.

I've also started coaching (and getting paid for it!) two running groups which couldn't be more different to each other - first is a load of beginners doing their first 5k and second are advanced runners, some of whom are trying to break 18 minutes for 5k.   awesome, for real

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1196 on: November 13, 2013, 05:35:50 AM

I've been having success over the last month and a half doing Zombies, Run 5k.  I'm on week 6 of 8, having logged 59 miles of total travelling, along with being able to run consistently during the "free-form" runs that get administered to me.  The story being told over the comms keeps my interest off of the running, and being able to mix WinAmp playlists into the tracks is nice.

Once I'm done with the training, I plan to keep running daily, but moving onto the full Zombies, Run! game proper.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1197 on: November 13, 2013, 06:08:51 AM

Heh meant to say Nov 24.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1198 on: November 13, 2013, 07:48:48 AM

But after last Wednesday, I started getting a pain in the outer edge of my right foot when I walk or put weight on it, or bend my ankle.  It's mostly in the space under my ankle and I'm not sure what's causing it.  I haven't stepped wrong, up until my foot started hurting I didn't have any problem walking, and I haven't hurt it in any other way that I can recall.  It hurt but I didn't have any problems doing the full 30 mins on Thursday and Friday either.  I take the weekends off and this morning, only walked 20 mins just to be safe.  The pain faded as I walked (and I felt like I could have done the full 30 mins, but I was tired, too) but then it came back when I was leaving.

Without knowing exactly where the pain is, it's difficult to even suggest what it may be. But covering a few things (and apologies that this is the inside of the left foot rather than outside of the right but it's the best I could find to work with)

If the pain is in the red area then it's possibly the ligaments playing up (Calcanealfibular ligament or Anterior talofibular ligament).
The green area may well be an achilles related problem.
The blue area (under the heel on the sole of the foot) would suggest Plantar Fasciitis.

If the pain fades while you're walking then it suggest that it may well be muscular and probably related to tightness or constriction (tears, strains and joint damage tend not to fade when muscles warm up). Usual treatment for something like this would be RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) treatment for a short while and see how that helps.  In terms of rehabilitation, foot exercises, ankle strengthening and stretching/massaging your calves may help long term. (Tightness in the calves often has a significant domino effect all the way down to the foot and is a big contributor to PF in runners, for example.)

Obvious disclaimers: IANAD or physio (only a PT and coach) and none of this may be relevant. As everyone else said, always err on the side of caution and don't push it if it really hurts. But you knew that already. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  Happy to provide suggestions and resources for any of the stretching/strengthening exercises though.

I already know I have Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot (the affected one) but that has been minimized?  alleviated? by making sure I wear inserts in my shoes and do foot exercises (like rolling my foot over a ball - it hurts to feel so good).  Normally I only have problems with it when I wear cheap shoes without arch support for too long.  This pain is more in the red area, under the ankle bone itself.  I suspected something like tendons/muscles but since it's in the foot, I wasn't sure how to treat it since I do have to walk occasionally.

I switched to riding a bike today because I don't want to stop doing anything while this heals.  My foot didn't hurt while I was riding, although my knees let me know they weren't happy, but that's stuff I expect.  I know this is going to take a long time to lose all this weight (I basically have an entire other person in weight to get rid of; yes, I'm that overweight) but it's not going to go away if I sit around.

Slack - congrats on losing that much weight and good luck on the 5K! 

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1199 on: November 13, 2013, 09:03:40 AM

I already know I have Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot (the affected one) but that has been minimized?  alleviated? by making sure I wear inserts in my shoes and do foot exercises (like rolling my foot over a ball - it hurts to feel so good).  Normally I only have problems with it when I wear cheap shoes without arch support for too long.  This pain is more in the red area, under the ankle bone itself.  I suspected something like tendons/muscles but since it's in the foot, I wasn't sure how to treat it since I do have to walk occasionally.

I switched to riding a bike today because I don't want to stop doing anything while this heals.  My foot didn't hurt while I was riding, although my knees let me know they weren't happy, but that's stuff I expect.  I know this is going to take a long time to lose all this weight (I basically have an entire other person in weight to get rid of; yes, I'm that overweight) but it's not going to go away if I sit around.

If it hurts while you walk, you might benefit from strapping it or getting one of those neoprene sports supports.  In theory they should take some of the strain off the ligaments (and also promote blood flow which apparently assists healing but someone more medically qualified than me can explain the science behind that) so let you walk more comfortably.  Don't wear them all the time though and when you can, and pain permits, start doing some ankle strengthening exercises (Google is your friend - although the simplest exercise is just to stand on one foot without shoes).

As mentioned, calf stretches may well help ease your PF too. Simplest is to stand with your toes on a thick book (like a phone directory but who has one of those these days) or a step and drop your heels so your foot is in dorsiflexion (toes pointing up) so you get your stretch in the calves and hold for a minute or two. You can massage them with the same ball you use on the sole of your foot too ( e.g. http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/self-massage-for-tight-calf-muscles-after-running/ )

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1200 on: November 13, 2013, 09:58:24 AM

I don't have anything useful to add, so I'll just say good luck!

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #1201 on: November 13, 2013, 09:58:42 AM

I'll try out strapping it and doing the exercises.  Thanks for the advice, Draconian!

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1202 on: November 13, 2013, 10:16:17 AM

Heh meant to say Nov 24.

Enjoy the race and remember to have fun!
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #1203 on: November 14, 2013, 08:06:40 AM

plantar fasciitis
Fuck that shit. Extremely annoying and painful if your working day consists of standing/walking around for up to 8 hours.  swamp poop

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1204 on: November 14, 2013, 12:55:25 PM

Yeah, it's obnoxious. I had a case of it several years ago. I was pretty worried it would come back given the beating my feet take doing kendo, but so far so good.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1205 on: November 22, 2013, 09:41:28 AM

Started uploading my Garmin run logs to Strava (amongst other sites) and am hating the site for how competitive it's making me. They have leaderboards for fastest times on "segments" of routes that are uploaded and I now find myself pushing hard when I get to a segment I know about.  I went out of my way to do four today. It's so sad but so addictive - cheap thrills from climbing up the board. Absolutely playing hell with my training paces.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1206 on: November 24, 2013, 01:27:49 PM

Ran my first 5k today. 34:30. Fastest mile was mile 3 at 10 min/mile.

I used that Run, Zombies app. It crapped out on the first audio episode at 30 minutes. Having never run with a phone strapped to my arm before, that was tricky. Got music back on and finished out the run.

This winter is strength and endurance training to prep for a zombie run 5k in March. Also looking into half marathons and sprint-distance tris.

I am a bit interested in the adventure running stuff as well.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1207 on: November 24, 2013, 03:08:26 PM

You should try the Warrior Dash, Slack. I think the one up by you is in early June.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1208 on: November 24, 2013, 03:59:11 PM

That one is on my list along with Tough Mudder.

My only real concern is that I can't listen to music while I run those. It would be a great situation for having a band to follow me around and play my theme music.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #1209 on: November 24, 2013, 04:49:19 PM

I started the Zombie 5k app thing too.  I loathe, loathe, loathe running but I'm tired of being out of breath after (during) weights and/or stairs. 

The progression is amusing.  Week 1: run 30 seconds at a time.  OK.   Week 2: run 1 minute at a time.  Puff puff, OK.  Week 3: run 5 minutes. WTF.

I'm not going to peek ahead to see what horrors await in Week 4.

I get shin splints super easy (another reason I loathe running) but so far everything seems to be holding together.  Settled into alternating days of zombierun/weights.  My calves are killing me, though.   I guess those haven't been exercised sufficiently by the weights yet.

On the weights front I decided to give up overhead presses because they were making my tailbone hurt.  Yeah, I have no idea how or why but process of elimination showed that exercise to be the culprit.  So I am trying out power cleans (which the press was subbing for anyway) and hopefully those will work better.  Such a goofy exercise, though.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1210 on: November 24, 2013, 07:30:06 PM

I did not train with the Run, Zombies 5k app. My understanding is that it's a couch to 5k sort of deal.

The main app is half off this month. It is pretty fun so far. We'll see once I am locked into treadmill running due to weather. My hope is that it's where the app will sihne.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1211 on: November 25, 2013, 11:19:43 AM

Ran my first 5k today. 34:30. Fastest mile was mile 3 at 10 min/mile.

I used that Run, Zombies app. It crapped out on the first audio episode at 30 minutes. Having never run with a phone strapped to my arm before, that was tricky. Got music back on and finished out the run.

This winter is strength and endurance training to prep for a zombie run 5k in March. Also looking into half marathons and sprint-distance tris.

I am a bit interested in the adventure running stuff as well.

Very well done on the 5k!

What's the "zombie run" 5k? Something on the app or an actual event?

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1212 on: November 25, 2013, 11:24:21 AM

Actually both.  Though most people are talking about  the app (https://www.zombiesrungame.com/).

There are however now zombie themed events, though I know of at least one local one that just collapsed and closed shop.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1213 on: November 25, 2013, 03:25:10 PM

Actually both.  Though most people are talking about  the app (https://www.zombiesrungame.com/).

There are however now zombie themed events, though I know of at least one local one that just collapsed and closed shop.

Cheers - I was more asking CmdrSlack which he was doing. I don't know why I used quotes. I'm guessing he meant an event but I don't know the specifics of the app because my phone is too old to run it, annoyingly, and I'm not going to get a new one just to play that.

Interesting about that place near you closing shop though - I wonder if we'll see the bubble burst on these events. 10 years ago there were hardly any of these adventure runs and now they're all over the place but I'm astounded at how expensive they are. I would kind of like to do a Tough Mudder or Spartan event to see how they compare to the ones I used to do (hmmm... that's verging on Hipster runner isn't it!  ACK!) but I just can't personally justify paying £95 just to run a 10 mile race these days. I don't think my next big race even costs that much. 

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1214 on: November 26, 2013, 05:16:08 AM

The one in March is something like the zombie dash or whatever. It's here in the Chicago area.

There's another 5k in early December called the Santa Dash or Shuffle. I won't be doing that because running outside in the winter blows.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1215 on: November 26, 2013, 07:21:54 AM

Cheers - I was more asking CmdrSlack which he was doing. I don't know why I used quotes. I'm guessing he meant an event but I don't know the specifics of the app because my phone is too old to run it, annoyingly, and I'm not going to get a new one just to play that.

Interesting about that place near you closing shop though - I wonder if we'll see the bubble burst on these events. 10 years ago there were hardly any of these adventure runs and now they're all over the place but I'm astounded at how expensive they are. I would kind of like to do a Tough Mudder or Spartan event to see how they compare to the ones I used to do (hmmm... that's verging on Hipster runner isn't it!  ACK!) but I just can't personally justify paying £95 just to run a 10 mile race these days. I don't think my next big race even costs that much. 

The cost of races in general is getting out of control. I'm bailing on the end of year 5-miler this year, because $70 is ridiculous for a completely inside a park, little to no police presence required race.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1216 on: November 26, 2013, 08:48:00 AM

The cost of races in general is getting out of control. I'm bailing on the end of year 5-miler this year, because $70 is ridiculous for a completely inside a park, little to no police presence required race.

Don't blame you - that's extortionate. I'd expect to be carried around for that sort of money.

In the UK we now have an event called ParkRun which is a free, organised 5km timed run that takes place across the country every Saturday morning. It started in 2004 and there are now over 200 runs each week.  Most importantly, they're free (run and staffed by volunteers).  They're a fantastic event and we use it regularly at my club when we do a beginners running course.

I mention this also because I see that they're now spreading to the US although there are only 3 events so far. Maybe you guys know someone local to you - a running club or suchlike - who might be interested in setting one up.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #1217 on: November 27, 2013, 02:59:18 PM

Won a lottery at my running club this evening and now have an entry for the London Marathon next year. It'll be my first. Should feel DRILLING AND MANLINESS but actually feel more ACK!. Still, if that doesn't give me impetus to keep going out during the winter, nothing will!

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1218 on: November 28, 2013, 11:25:23 AM

I'm laughing at you guys talking about the costs of entering a race, and even how you can apparently win a chance run in a marathon?  My running-averse brain can't fathom paying someone else for letting me do something as horrible as running a long distance, and even less that gaining a chance to run 26 miles should be viewed as a positive thing.  Why not pay a bunch of thugs to waterboard you or something?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Been at my wonderful new gym a few weeks now.  I already sang the praises of the great Olympic lifting equipment (I mean, 2.5 kg bumper plates, that's just crazy).  Can also use chalk, so you bet your pants I bought some chalk.  My previous best of a very shaky 200kg deadlift without straps (shaky as in just barely locked out and then dropped quicly back the floor) is now an extremely solid 210 kg without straps.  The chalk and the high quality bars means my grip was dead solid and no chance of losing it.  Locked it out for a good 4 or 5 seconds.  It is amazing how much difference good equipment and chalk makes for my grip.  This is just below my strapped up personal best.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1219 on: November 28, 2013, 03:26:18 PM

Won a lottery at my running club this evening and now have an entry for the London Marathon next year. It'll be my first. Should feel DRILLING AND MANLINESS but actually feel more ACK!. Still, if that doesn't give me impetus to keep going out during the winter, nothing will!

Fear is a great motivator!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1220 on: November 29, 2013, 05:58:32 PM

Finished my Zombies 5K training this evening.

Was kinda boggled that the app wasn't tracking my 5k by distance traveled (which it does clearly track) and ended my mission right as I hit 5k, rather I just kept running until I hit the usual "Mission Completed" ding.  Ended up running an extra mile beyond what I needed.  Regardless, the deed is done.  Gonna move onto the regular Zombies, Run app missions now.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #1221 on: November 29, 2013, 08:49:30 PM

I did the first Zombies, Run mission on the 5k I ran last Sunday.  I  am going to run mission 2 tomorrow. How did you find the voice acting I the 5k version?

I like it so far in this version, but we'll see.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1222 on: November 30, 2013, 01:07:30 AM

I did the first Zombies, Run mission on the 5k I ran last Sunday.  I  am going to run mission 2 tomorrow. How did you find the voice acting I the 5k version?

I like it so far in this version, but we'll see.

5k was decent.  I imagine Season 1 probably has it's quirks since it was their initial release.  Season 2 had a lot more backing after season 1's success, and they've added a bunch of other stuff to the app as well, like after-run Radio transmissions, holiday DLC, and the new air-drop missions.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1223 on: December 05, 2013, 04:39:41 AM

Pulled 225kg from the floor today, without straps.  Blasted my personal best by a fair bit.  Even with straps I think my previous best was 215.  Chalk....chalk is amazing.  So is having a lot of caffeine in your system when you deadlift, I swear to God.  Converted to pounds, I just need a tiny, tiny bit to hit an even 500.  I think I have it in me (I did a PB 215kg lift just prior, so that may have sucked a bit out of me).  Grip held out just long enough to lock out solidly.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1224 on: December 24, 2013, 06:17:19 PM

Wife just bought me parkour lessons. I may actually be more intimated by this than running a marathon.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: