Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:41:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 477185 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #770 on: September 19, 2012, 10:38:40 AM

^^  This I understand and wouldn't bitch about.

Mr. Douche?  He was cranking 60#-80# for 20ish reps on the cables and grunting with each rep.   That he never worked-up much of a sweat and ALWAYS ended with a drop/clang was indicative of exactly why he was doing it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #771 on: September 19, 2012, 02:41:31 PM

What is it about free weights that makes guys think grunting obnoxiously loud and dropping the weights is a good thing?

Lifting heavy is very intense, particularly if you're doing it to failure.  I often yell/grunt on my last two reps and will get so ATP depleted that my arms fail after my last rep.  It's VERY painful to lift this way but it yields great results.  The yelling is a result of the pain involved and the rage required to get out an extra rep or two.  Dropping weights isn't something I recommend, but happens when your muscles just give up (ever see runners crash at the end of a race?  It's like that).

It is annoying... but part of the program for those of us that take lifting seriously.

Seconding this. It's a bit of a dilemma because it is annoying, but I know I do it when I'm maxing; it's often hard not to yell out when you're putting everything into a big lift. Also to add, as far as dropping weights goes, if you're doing heavy olympic lifting you ideally drop the weights after each lift, since the concentric (lowering) portion of the lift isn't at all safe. That said, odds are that you're not at an olympic/powerlifting gym and the guys crashing and grunting are douches. If they're throwing plates or dumbbells on the floor and grunting while doing repetitious work, they're douches. If they're doing 1-3 rep sets and yelling on the last one, that's probably kosher.

Still, they were better than the couple with the big headphones that were tag-teaming the machines that work your hamstrings.  Not just one machine, mind you, but two different ones - the Nautilus style type where you lay on your stomach and then the Freemotion machine where you stand up.  Guy would be doing one machine and girl the other, then they'd switch - over and over again.  It's there something to doing multiple sets (like 5+) to work the same muscle group?

Without getting too technical, in general doing more sets with higher weight for fewer reps is better for developing strength, while doing fewer sets with more reps is better for developing muscle mass. I can't speak for people I don't know, but among the guys I train with (mostly powerlifters, olympic lifters and american football players) most people are trying to get strong, and will do something like 7-10 sets of 2-4 reps on their lifts.

Taking a week and a half off for vacation was nice, because I had my evenings back, but I actually missed working out.  And I can feel it, since I ache extra-specially this morning.  Still, that's a good thing and I'm starting to feel a bit of muscle hiding under all this fat. :)

Keep going, you'll get there!

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #772 on: September 19, 2012, 02:53:48 PM

- Curling guy - seriously, weren't you here doing the same curls you were doing yesterday and the day before?  Granted, your biceps are bigger than mine (which is no great accomplishment), but I'm starting to wonder if you are even capable of performing other movements.  Are you doing some kind of biceps rehab due to an unfortunate land mine injury or something?  Fool.  You're all sizzle and no steak.
Haha, that's a good one. I used to semi-resemble that remark in my youth since I hated working on my triceps -- biceps are so much easier!

- My favorite new exercise - Forward Leaning Gravity Assisted Douchebag Cable Chest Pushdowns.  This is like doing cable crossover chest flys (or whatever) in a standing position, but where you lean forward as much as possible so that Newtonian Physics take over.
That's actually might not be so bad if you are intentionally trying to work on your core at the same time.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: September 19, 2012, 10:47:25 PM

Come on Trippy, we both know the kind of guy I am talking about, and he isn't working on his core.  Most people don't even know what their core actually is.

Grunting:  Fine as long as you aren't exaggerating or just being a douche (e.g. triceps cable pushdowns rarely or never require grunting).

Clanging:  Only for Olympic lifts or in certain cases where you're working to failure.  In short, nobody at my gym.  I think I am the only one I have ever seen doing any sort of Olympic lifts at my gym (cleans, cleans and presses), and I don't even clang those because we don't have bumper plates.   My deads clang a little, but that is sorta unavoidable. Steroid Guy likes to clang the Hammer Strength chest press for some reason.  Pretty sure it is a signal to everybody else saying "I just fucking killed this set and WILL YOU JUST LOOK AT MY GORGEOUS PECS!"

Another person I need to add to my list:  Gross Old Man.  This is not just any one guy, it is a all old men in general who frequent the gym.  Only another man can truly appreciate Gross Old Man, because he only reveals his splendor in the changing room.  And by splendor, I mean ballsack.  Seriously, old man, nobody wants to see that shit.  I know you are proud of your body and stuff, but in truth you have little reason to be.  You are disgusting to behold.  I'm not sure who it was who ever said that the human body is a beautiful thing, because in my experience, that proves false in at least 99.7% of cases.  And tell me, Gross Old Man, why in hell do you insist on grabbing one of the bath towels, emptying half a can of baby powder into it, and slamming that thing repeatedly into your sack?  Just what the fuck is that all about, exactly?  Not only does the sight make me want to puke, but you seriously just got baby powder everywhere.  I want to punch you in the face.  And as if it weren't bad enough, as if your base nudity and powder-sack-slapping wasn't more than I can already handle, your behavior in the steam room...fuck.  It was expected that you would leave it all hanging out in spread-eagle fashion, but really, the steam room is not the best place for your stretching exercises.  So gross.  Why are you so hairy, anyway?  Did your mom fuck an orangutan?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #774 on: September 20, 2012, 07:11:02 AM

Another person I need to add to my list:  Gross Old Man. 

At what age is the gym off limits? 

I like seeing old people at the gym.  It means that they haven't given up. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #775 on: September 20, 2012, 08:52:06 AM

The issue isn't the age, it's the display, as delineated in the entry.   He should have called it Pervy or Lecherous or "Gratuitously Naked" old man.  And it's always old men, never young ones. Something I don't quite get.

Older folks at the gym on a whole being ok?  You bet, makes me feel good knowing I won't look out of place in 20 years.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: September 20, 2012, 09:31:43 AM

The issue isn't the age, it's the display, as delineated in the entry.   He should have called it Pervy or Lecherous or "Gratuitously Naked" old man.  And it's always old men, never young ones. Something I don't quite get.

Older folks at the gym on a whole being ok?  You bet, makes me feel good knowing I won't look out of place in 20 years.

Yeah, this.  Older folks working out is totally cool.  And don't worry Nebu, I think you probably got at least 15 years before you'll start showing your ballsack to everyone.

(I am pushing 40 myself, so it's not like you're tons older than me)

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #777 on: September 21, 2012, 02:43:20 AM

Speaking of stench though - anyone got any recommendations for some of my older gym clothes other than fire?  I mean, I'll wash this shit, pull it out of the dryer and it'll be smelling like it's made of a pure bouquet of spring flowers and the second a touch of sweat hits it it turns into cat piss.

Right, so - looks like this is a runners only issue then   awesome, for real

Two things I recommend if you can find US equivalents. First is some kind of specific Sports Wash* (I use Halo Sports Wash) and the second is anything you might use to wash nappies/diapers. I use Napisan.

For really stubborn stench (you know, the type you get after running for 24 hours!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?) I leave the offending items to soak for several hours in warm water mixed with one of the above.

I have also read that vinegar will work but haven't quite got around to trying that yet.

*I have no idea if the sports wash is actually any different from using a non-bio washing detergent but as the cost is the same, I'm not too bothered.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #778 on: September 21, 2012, 02:49:45 AM

Why are you so hairy, anyway?  Did your mom fuck an orangutan?

Fuck. You.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #779 on: September 21, 2012, 03:16:07 AM

Why are you so hairy, anyway?  Did your mom fuck an orangutan?

Fuck. You.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

None of the above is personal, by the way.  It all contributes to making my gym visits more interesting and enjoyable.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #780 on: September 21, 2012, 03:35:24 AM

None of the above is personal, by the way.  It all contributes to making my gym visits more interesting and enjoyable.

Yeah - I could have made that green text but where's the fun in that?  why so serious? (My personal hang-ups about how hairy I am and the social stigma attached to being a hairy male are not something I'm willing to go into here.)

Personally, I want to go to Nebu's gym.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #781 on: September 21, 2012, 04:29:17 AM

Speaking of stench though - anyone got any recommendations for some of my older gym clothes other than fire?  I mean, I'll wash this shit, pull it out of the dryer and it'll be smelling like it's made of a pure bouquet of spring flowers and the second a touch of sweat hits it it turns into cat piss.

Two things I recommend if you can find US equivalents. First is some kind of specific Sports Wash* (I use Halo Sports Wash) and the second is anything you might use to wash nappies/diapers. I use Napisan.

For really stubborn stench (you know, the type you get after running for 24 hours!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?) I leave the offending items to soak for several hours in warm water mixed with one of the above.

I have also read that vinegar will work but haven't quite got around to trying that yet.

*I have no idea if the sports wash is actually any different from using a non-bio washing detergent but as the cost is the same, I'm not too bothered.

Perfumes, etc in detergents don't remove smell they just cover it up.  You need something that'll actually remove the oil and sweat that's sat around and set in to the clothes which is what the soap part is supposed to do but doesn't quite get since it's formulated for normal everyday body dirt, not exercise staining.  Chances are that stink is coming from the crotch and underarm  areas of your clothes - the two places most prone to absorbing sweat and oil during a workout.

Vinegar in the rinse cycle works for me.  The stuff Drac linked should work as well and there's a few other suggestions on LiveStrong

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: September 21, 2012, 04:37:50 AM

Yeah - I could have made that green text but where's the fun in that?  why so serious? (My personal hang-ups about how hairy I am and the social stigma attached to being a hairy male are not something I'm willing to go into here.)

Personally, I want to go to Nebu's gym.

Yeah, Nebu's gym sounds like paradise.  I would probably never look at the floor.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #783 on: September 21, 2012, 05:42:03 AM

I, too, would prefer Nebu's gym.

My current gym adjoins a hotel, so it's half geriatrics on vacation and half roided-out guidos flexing their pecs in the mirror. There's a couple of us normal workaday dudes and middle-aged moms just trying to stay in shape.

We do occasionally get a visit from a Little Miss Makeup - the sort of girl who goes to the gym in an inch of foundation, hot pink lipstick, designer athletic duds and has a $50 manicure. She'll sit on the upright bench and curl 1kg weights for twenty minutes or maybe walk slowly on the elliptical.

Inevitably, whenever there's one of those down in the free-weight area, all the guidos form a kind of cloud around her and do their own curls or flies with the largest weights they can manage. I liken it to an electron cloud, with the alpha guidos forming the innermost shell and moving out from there.

The nice thing is that the cloud effect usually frees up the squat rack, which they often occupy to do barbell bicep curls.

Also, maybe it's just southern Europe, but pretty much all the guys go about bare-sacked in the changing room here. I prefer to swap boxers in a swift and efficient manner rather than air out my nuts in front of strangers. Also, I have A/C at home, so I can perform any necessary ball-chillery in private.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #784 on: September 21, 2012, 05:57:41 AM

Also, maybe it's just southern Europe, but pretty much all the guys go about bare-sacked in the changing room here. I prefer to swap boxers in a swift and efficient manner rather than air out my nuts in front of strangers.

There's a reason Douglas Adams advised never to travel without your towel.

Most of the weights guys in my gym never bother having a shower. They come in wearing trackie bums, t-shirt and baseball cap, do their "workout" and then leave again. I've seen a couple come in and workout wearing their jeans.  Then again, it's not exactly the most affluent area nor is it the most exclusive gym.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #785 on: September 21, 2012, 11:21:42 AM

I don't shower at my gym, but I live literally 2 minutes' walk from it. I prefer to shower at home so I don't have to lug a showering towel plus toiletries around.

I usually go straight from the office to the gym to cut down on the temptation to plunk my ass in a chair and play video games dick around on the internet use the computer for legitimate and productive things. As a result, I usually just walk home in my sweaty gym garb.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #786 on: September 21, 2012, 12:00:46 PM

Perfumes, etc in detergents don't remove smell they just cover it up.  You need something that'll actually remove the oil and sweat that's sat around and set in to the clothes which is what the soap part is supposed to do but doesn't quite get since it's formulated for normal everyday body dirt, not exercise staining.  Chances are that stink is coming from the crotch and underarm  areas of your clothes - the two places most prone to absorbing sweat and oil during a workout.

Vinegar in the rinse cycle works for me.  The stuff Drac linked should work as well and there's a few other suggestions on LiveStrong

Yah, I've tried a few different sports washes with not a lot of success -  (Win and SportSuds).  I may give things a good soak overnight in something and see how that helps.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #787 on: September 23, 2012, 10:22:42 PM

It's one thing to display sack whilst changing and/or moving from one area to another.  I mean, I'm sure it will make some people uncomfortable, but whatever.

It's quite another to prop your leg up on something and blow dry your nutbag in full view of everybody.  Or the aforementioned stretching exercises in the steam room.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #788 on: September 25, 2012, 04:55:30 PM

It's one thing to display sack whilst changing and/or moving from one area to another.  I mean, I'm sure it will make some people uncomfortable, but whatever.

It's quite another to prop your leg up on something and blow dry your nutbag in full view of everybody.  Or the aforementioned stretching exercises in the steam room.

Seriously. I think old men have the monopoly on "one leg up on the bench" maneuvers. I really don't need to watch you furiously saw a towel between your legs, grandpa, go not care somewhere else.

We have one awesome-to-watch roided guy at the gym, he does the grunting, standing around, trying to chat up girls, dropping weights, everything on the sterotypical checklist. He also has "Mass" tattooed on one bicep and "Power" on the other. We call him the mass power guy.

FWIW, I'm the skinny dude doing 6kg presses. My workout partners are my roommate who's the fat guy getting skinnier and the 40 year old who can't stop staring at women. He'll literally stop in the middle of a conversation if someone walks by. To be fair, those yoga pants are really distracting. But sorry, they aren't looking to get hit on at the gym. Except for maybe that one woman wearing lipstick.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 05:00:20 PM by bhodi »
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: September 25, 2012, 05:03:27 PM

I'm just curious as to what age that nudity thing kicks in.  I'm starting to get worried for myself.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: September 25, 2012, 05:25:16 PM

Last t-Shirts I bought were 3 or 4XL but yesterday I tried an old XXL shirt on I had not worn in years and it did fit.  WTF.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #791 on: September 25, 2012, 06:19:18 PM

Last t-Shirts I bought were 3 or 4XL but yesterday I tried an old XXL shirt on I had not worn in years and it did fit.  WTF.  awesome, for real
Congrats!

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #792 on: September 25, 2012, 06:41:36 PM

That is awesome!  Keep it up!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #793 on: September 26, 2012, 02:19:32 AM

Well done.  awesome, for real

Also, thanks for bringing the thread back to actual workouts and results rather then about other guys ball sacks. That was getting a little too... well, let's go with offtopic.  why so serious?

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: October 06, 2012, 10:42:12 AM

Well I stopped using Fitocracy a while back because I hate the completely arbitrary way points are assigned to a given exercise. Right now I'm deployed, but we managed to bring over some Rogue Fitness stuff and kettlebells and junk. Almost everything I'm doing now is barbell oriented and it's just a modified Starting Strength routine anyway. I've got an A workout and a B workout that are spaced out every other day, with core stuff and cardio done on my "off" days.

The following is my workout, and weight (in lbs) I'm currently doing:

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 192 lbs

A Workout

3x5 SQUAT - 335
3x5 BENCH - 250
1x5 DEADLIFT - 225
3x10 DIPS w/ RINGS
3x10 TRICEP EXTENSIONS  - 100

B Workout

3x5 SQUAT - 335
3x5 STANDING MILITARY PRESS - 155
3x5 BENT OVER ROWS - 155
3x10 PULL UPS w/ RINGS
2x8 CURLS - 40

For core stuff I do a lot with TRX straps and for cardio I generally run 2 miles and shoot for a sub 7 minute pace.

I'm really digging this routine, and what really sets it off is doing squats every workout.

If anybody has any questions or critiques I'd be happy to hear it!
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: October 06, 2012, 11:29:21 AM

Other than hello beastmode, looks like a really solid routine. The TRX stuff is sorta trendy, but I'm a bit of a fan of them myself.
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: October 06, 2012, 01:57:29 PM

Thanks man!

Dude, I was very skeptical about TRX at first! However I am really starting to like them and I try and work it in with more traditional stuff, i.e. hanging leg raises and stuff like that. I guess the only real goal I have right now is to have massive tree trunk thighs, though I'm not sure how reasonable a goal that is for my frame.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #797 on: October 07, 2012, 07:22:40 AM

The following is my workout, and weight (in lbs) I'm currently doing:

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 192 lbs

You sir, are a beast.  I'm almost identical in height and weight and I can't push nearly as much iron.  I'm currently doing iso work on MWF, but may change that to a MT/Th F workout to try to spur more strength gains.  Thanks for the motivation!

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: October 07, 2012, 08:57:08 AM

climbjtree - out of curiosity, why isn't your deadlift higher?  It's picking nits, I know, but considering your 350 lb squats...well, most people do stronger deads than squats.  Back problems?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #799 on: October 08, 2012, 12:03:26 AM

I wouldn't normally do this sort of product schlepping, but it seems worth a mention.  I have been taking N.O. Xplode for the last several weeks prior to my workouts (and also during).  I don't normally go for all the supplement hype, but I was out of creatine, which is generally the only supplement I do take.  So I bought the Xplode to give it a try, knowing that if nothing else, at least it had the creatine in it (though not monohydrate, I guess). 

I'll start out with the side effects, as that seems important:  Apparently there is a caffeine free version, but I am not sure I can even get that here in Euroland.  The Xplode I am taking seems to be absolutely loaded with it.  The first couple of times I took it, it really hit me.  Elevated heart rate, clammy perspiration, weirdly increased mental acuity, and a crash several hours later.  I also felt a bit wobbly, to be honest.  Left me feeling rather strange for the rest of the day the first many times I took it.  Some people report headaches, but I expect that has something to do with the caffeine dosage as well.  That same caffeine has also been messing with my sleep, especially in the early going.  Fuck, that was annoying.  Getting better now, but still a bit of an issue....I would personally say that this has been the biggest negative with it.  Also, it tastes like shit.

The subjective:  I feel a little more focused when working out.  Much easier to achieve that "rage" mode when you have all that stuff flowing through your system.  Maybe a little more endurance as well, but hard to be certain of that.  It actually DOES seem to "increase your pump" while you are working out...it could be my imagination, but it appears to be having some of the vascular effect that it is promising (more protusion of the veins), at least if the visual reference is anything to go by.  In short, it appears to make my muscles look more impressive during the workout itself.  I suppose that is some combination of the blood supposedly flowing through your system due to the NO, plus the creatine helping to retain the water in your muscles.  At least, that's the theory.  Might be something to it.

For reference, I'm about 5´8", 78 kg (a hair over 170 lbs).

The objective:  Last January I did a personal best barbell deadlift of 160 kg.  I remember it clearly, because it was actually an extremely shitty rep and I probably shouldn't really have counted it.  My real max was probably from a week prior to that, a legit lift of 155 kg.  6 weeks ago (starting up again after the long cut), I finally managed to barely squeak out a legit 160 kg deadlift.  Let's call that the baseline.  Messed around a bit trap bar deadlift variations for a while without trying to max out, and at the same time began taking the Xplode.  Two weeks ago, I did a 165 kg regular deadlift.  A week ago, I did a 180 kg trap bar deadlift (these are a little easier to get off the ground, hence the higher weight).  Yesterday, I did a 175 kg deadlift.  I was stunned...I did not think I had it in me.  It was solid as a motherfucker, and I even held it there for a few extra seconds to show up all the younglings.  My goal for the longest time has been a 180 kg deadlift (e.g. roughly 400 lbs), but I never seriously thought I would get close to it.  Something remarkable has happened to my deads over the last few weeks.  Coincidence? 

Related to the above, my grip strength has vastly improved over the same short period.  This is not something I can bullshit.  I am a relatively small guy, with relatively small hands.  One armed DB rows are one of my favorite exercises, but I usually have to wear straps on anything over 30 kg, otherwise my grip will fail.  The other day, I was able to whip out 10 reps of 36 kg without straps, and without any seriously issue with grip strength.  It may sound minor, but this was a HUGE revelation for me.  I had just assumed that I would never be able to do that because of my smallish hands.  Even moreso than the increased deadlifts, this has proven to me that I have actually grown measurably stronger over a relatively short period of time.

There are other things as well, but none that have been quite as eye opening as the above.  I whipped out 4 sets of 8 incline DB presses with the 36 kg DBs the other day in a pretty convincing fashion.  I may have once managed 8 or 10 reps with these in the past, but it never felt this easy, and probably not for repeated sets.

My conclusion?  There may be something to this stuff.  I am a skeptic by nature and generally stay away from all the snake oil, but I have not other explanation for these recent improvements.  My diet is not great, nor am I consuming all that many extra calories (only gained about 2 kg since stopping my cut a couple months ago).  Not even particularly a lot of protein.  Sleeping worse, not better.  No other drugs or anything in my system.  At any rate, while I cannot be absolutely positive this stuff is the catalyst, I will be buying a second tin when this one runs out.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #800 on: October 08, 2012, 08:33:58 AM

climbjtree - out of curiosity, why isn't your deadlift higher?  It's picking nits, I know, but considering your 350 lb squats...well, most people do stronger deads than squats.  Back problems?

Last time I really did some deadlifts, I was at 405. I could probably muscle up some more weight, but I've got terrible form and I know it. I've also got this fear of hurting my back. I can work through a lot of other injuries, but a back injury basically puts me out of work and then I'm a liability to my team. That said, I just do 225 to keep those muscles active.

I took NOExplode for a while, but it makes me feel funky. Now I've just got a Musclepharm pre-workout and afterwards I do like 35g of 100% whey. I'm going to start some creatine soon though, so we'll see what that adds.

Thanks for the motivation!

Thanks man! How are you when it comes to running? I am complete and utter garbage, and if I get up around 200 lbs? Fuggetaboutit.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #801 on: October 08, 2012, 09:01:26 AM

Thanks man! How are you when it comes to running? I am complete and utter garbage, and if I get up around 200 lbs? Fuggetaboutit.

I'm losing strength on my way down to 180.  I just can't seem to get lighter than 190 without getting sick or getting skinny. 

I started running 3 miles a day (~ 8 min mile pace) but found that it was pretty low yield in terms of fitness vs injury.  Lately I've been riding a stationary bike with resistance high enough to keep my HR around 140 BPM (resting is ~50 BPM) and find that more effective from a fitness standpoint while less from an aerobic standpoint.  Since I doubt I will qualify for the Olympics, that's a fine sacrifice for me.

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #802 on: October 08, 2012, 10:48:45 AM

Nebu,

Have you looked at any of the elliptical or cross-trainers vs. the stationary bike?  I can't run as it'll destroy my knees, (Jogging's ok but not as effective) but I feel better working on those than on a stationary bike. Plus you can get the arms and butt in to it vs. on the bike machines at my gym.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #803 on: October 08, 2012, 12:58:31 PM

Have you looked at any of the elliptical or cross-trainers vs. the stationary bike?  I can't run as it'll destroy my knees, (Jogging's ok but not as effective) but I feel better working on those than on a stationary bike. Plus you can get the arms and butt in to it vs. on the bike machines at my gym.

My legs feel like jello when I finish with the stationary bike... but I ride it with intensity.  I've never tried an elliptical.  Perhaps I should. 

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #804 on: October 08, 2012, 02:04:35 PM

I get the same feeling off the Elliptical and the bonus is the ease on my joints and additional muscle groups.  The ones at my gym have some nice resistance settings to them at about 10-15.  Set it for performance, level 10 and go.  There's a few different models at my place, my favorites have the heart rate monitors on the moving handgrips.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: