Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:51:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 477130 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: February 08, 2012, 06:38:38 PM

There's some good fitness stuff on Hulu (Plus), and I'm sure Netflix too.  Hulu has the GAIAM network which is pretty popular.
I've actually been diggin my Kinect for 'Your Shape 2012.'  It's no joke on hardmode, especially with a nice set of soft handweights (say between 3 and 12 lbs).   

Between those two and my community gym for weight work there really are no excuses.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #666 on: February 10, 2012, 09:33:26 PM

Well, I picked up P90X earlier in January after reading the reviews specificly regarding the diet plan as I had become sick of my diet and was unable to mantain it (when actually the probem was I was just sick and unable to mantain the diet). It looks like a good program, and I gave it a shot this week.

Day 1

Oh push ups this is easy I was doing 100+ a day in september 20, 10, 2, 2, 1....
Pull ups? ??

That six month run in with a sinus infection was evil, so was the 4 months off my excerise regimen and 2 months off Tae Kwon Do.

Day 2

Polymetrics, ok at 30 minutes in I realized I had TKD classes and I would be doing everything I was doing in class again that evening (which I did for an hour), and stoped.

Day 3 

No P90X, instead had an hour of kickboxing and an hour of TKD.

Day 4 & 5

Nothing, too sore to move.

Tomorrow is more TKD

I suspect I will be using it just to fill holes.

The diet plan is nice but I'm too lazy to follow it and will contiue to stick with brown rice oatmeal and chicken for protein.

It was really odd the sinus infection goes away and without missing a beat I'm back on the diet, since August of the year prior through June I managed to push off what I suspect is around 80lbs (sadly I gained 15 back with the sinus infection)

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: February 13, 2012, 02:02:25 AM

Looking for some advice/good ideas.

I may have mentioned in this thread before that my left arm seems to be a fair bit weaker than my right.  Seems to be something in the front delt/shoulder region.  I am starting to think that whatever is going on is preventing me from "breaking through" to my next level of gains.  Time and again I will experience something where my left arm will fail to push up a weight (like if I am trying to 1 rep max something...) where my right arm will push it up with relative ease.

I was on a machine doing supplemental bench presses (after a round of dumbbell presses) the other day...one of those where you actually load up the plates for each arm.  I was going for one rep at 120kg (about 260 lbs-ish), so that is 60kg isolated on each arm.  I start pushing, only to realize that I am failing miserably on my left arm.  Just for giggles, I continue pushing with my right and have little trouble getting it up.  I've no doubt I could have pushed 70kg on that arm.  This is just an example of something I encounter pretty frequently when going for new maxes.  It seems to be even worse on shoulder/military presses, which is why I tend to think it has mostly to do with an issue in my delt muscles (I can also feel it there).  It's this same problem that keeps me from getting past the 36kg dumbbell shoulder presses.  Right arm will push up 38kg no problem, but the left fails almost immediately.

Any ideas how I can work to get past this?  It doesn't necessarily bother me that one arm is a little weaker than the other - that actually makes some sense.  But when the weaker arm is preventing my from moving forward, that's another matter.

If it helps with your advice giving, be aware that I stick almost exclusively to doing traditional, compound lifting with free weights (barbells and dumbbells).  I stay away from isolation exercises and only use machines as a supplement or for certain pulling exercises.  Not that I am totally against doing things differently, it was just to provide better context.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: February 13, 2012, 05:26:00 AM

My advice: Do dumbell military presses and side lateral raises.  Do both seated so that you avoid the use of momentum.  Dumbells will ensure that your strong arm doesn't help the weak arm.  When your weak arm fails, stop.  In a few weeks it will catch up.  Some bodybuilders will suggest using a dumbell 5 lbs heavier on your weak side.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: February 13, 2012, 10:59:06 PM

My advice: Do dumbell military presses and side lateral raises.  Do both seated so that you avoid the use of momentum.  Dumbells will ensure that your strong arm doesn't help the weak arm.  When your weak arm fails, stop.  In a few weeks it will catch up.  Some bodybuilders will suggest using a dumbell 5 lbs heavier on your weak side.

Sometimes I think you don't understand me at all!   Ohhhhh, I see.

Seated military presses are one of my favorite exercises...I cannot realistically do them more than I already do.  I also thought about doing 2kg heavier on the weak side, but the more I think about it, the less sense it makes to me.  I mean, it would end up failing at the same point on the weak arm anyway, and the strong arm would just have even more strength left over.  The disparity would end up being even larger, would it not?  I begin to wonder if it wouldn't make sense to put more weight on the strong arm, but that presents its own issues.

I don't know.  I might just have to accept this as a fact of life.  In the meantime, I think the approach I will take will be to do a better overall shoulder routine...involving more lateral raises and other isolation exercises targeting the medial and posterior heads, as well as better isolation on the traps.  Maybe if I can better build up some of the supporting muscles in isolation, I will find a way to break through.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #670 on: February 14, 2012, 08:02:38 AM

My advice: Do dumbell military presses and side lateral raises.  Do both seated so that you avoid the use of momentum.  Dumbells will ensure that your strong arm doesn't help the weak arm.  When your weak arm fails, stop.  In a few weeks it will catch up.  Some bodybuilders will suggest using a dumbell 5 lbs heavier on your weak side.

Seated military presses are one of my favorite exercises...I cannot realistically do them more than I already do.  I also thought about doing 2kg heavier on the weak side, but the more I think about it, the less sense it makes to me.  I mean, it would end up failing at the same point on the weak arm anyway, and the strong arm would just have even more strength left over.  The disparity would end up being even larger, would it not?  I begin to wonder if it wouldn't make sense to put more weight on the strong arm, but that presents its own issues.
In my (limited) understanding, the idea is to reach the "failure" point. Because (I think Nebu used that term) "destroying" the muscle gives him the largest growth stimulus. And since only one arm reaches that state, it should catch up sooner or later.

Also... diet question. I am trying to find out how much calories I am supposed to eat. I am about 1.80mtall, and my goal is reaching a weight of around 80kg (metric system for the win). Almost every internet source I can find tells me that I should eat abot 2500 calories per day at that weight. Right now I am way to far into the triple digits wheigt wise. If I just limit my intake to that ammount and (of course) start up doing sport (again), nothing can go wrong, right ? So far, I seem to have been losing about 100g of weight every other day for the last 2 weeks.

I ask this because every friend/family member I asked told me that 2500 calories are WAY TOO MUCH and that I should aim for 1800 at the most.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:14:52 AM by Der Helm »

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: February 14, 2012, 08:35:33 AM

In my (limited) understanding, the idea is to reach the "failure" point. Because (I think Nebu used that term) "destroying" the muscle gives him the largest growth stimulus. And since only one arm reaches that state, it should catch up sooner or later.

Also... diet question. I am trying to find out how much calories I am supposed to eat. I am about 1.80mtall, and my goal is reaching a weight of around 80kg (metric system for the win). Almost every internet source I can find tells me that I should eat abot 2500 calories per day at that weight. Right now I am way to far into the triple digits wheigt wise. If I just limit my intake to that ammount and (of course) start up doing sport (again), nothing can go wrong, right ? So far, I seem to have been losing about 100g of weight every other day for the last 2 weeks.

I ask this because every friend/family member I asked told me that 2500 calories are WAY TOO MUCH and that I should aim for 1800 at the most.

Your goal is roughly to lose .5-1kg per week, so roughly a 550 calorie/day deficit
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #672 on: February 14, 2012, 08:38:58 AM

Your goal is roughly to lose .5-1kg per week, so roughly a 550 calorie/day deficit
Then I am right on track atm. Only 1,5 years to go. Yay!.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: February 14, 2012, 08:42:52 AM

Common formula to work out Basal Metabolic Rate is the Harris-Benedict equation. The metric version for a male is:

66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )

Then you multiply this by a factor that's dependent on how active you are from day to day. (1.1 for a very sedentary, deskbound lifestyle up to 1.7+ if you are extremely active, do a load of sports etc.) It's a rough guideline but seems to work.

EDIT for spelling. Also, yeah, for your height and target weight, you would be roughly looking to take in about 2000-2200 kCal (bearing in mind I don't know how old you are).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:46:39 AM by DraconianOne »

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: February 15, 2012, 03:21:18 AM

Here's an interesting chart for you to stroke/deflate your ego with:

http://www.strstd.com/

Apparently I am up near the "elite" group in terms of shoulder strength, so I think I will stop whining about that. Ohhhhh, I see.  My bench stacks up a little better than I thought, too, getting up to the "advanced" region. 

My squats and deads, otoh, are only a bit over the intermediate (thought my deads were a little higher), so I think I will have to consider putting in a little more effort there.

Take it all with a grain of salt, I guess.  I find these kinds of things fun, if only for the debatability of them.  No idea what they base this on.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: February 15, 2012, 05:09:33 AM

Here's an interesting chart for you to stroke/deflate your ego with:

http://www.strstd.com/

Cool site.  I like that it generates a 5/3/1 plan for you. 

I want an age adjustment, damnit!!!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: February 15, 2012, 05:11:08 AM

Well, let's see...because you are X number of years older than me, you have had X number of additional years of available training to take advantage of, thus you should be X% stronger.

So, reduce all your numbers by, say, 25% and you should be just about right  awesome, for real

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: February 15, 2012, 05:28:35 AM

Need some help from you guys.  I'm having a tough time getting gains on my back.  I'm really trying to get up to 10 wide grip chin ups but I can't seem to get past 8.  I've been doing chest-back supersets to try and shock muscle, but even fresh I still struggle to get more than 8.  Bent over dumbbell rows don't work well for me, so I've been doing most of my back work with chins and machines (wide grip pull downs and seated narrow grip rows). 

If you guys have some good back exercises for strength gains, I'd love to hear what has worked well.   

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #678 on: February 15, 2012, 05:45:28 AM

I hate hate HATE wide grip pullups.  They are just so uncomfortable to me.  That said, as you must know, wide grips are far more lat intensive, so one way you could go about it is to find a lat machine and try to murder your lats on it for a few weeks.  My arms generally fail before my lats will on pullups, which is one of the reasons I like the lat machine...it seems to target my lats slightly better, as counterintuitive as that seems.

Another thing I have noticed several times...I prefer close grip chins or neutral grip pullups, and one week I will be able to pound out 15, 15, 12, 10, etc., no problemo  Next week, I go back and do 10, 10, 5 and my arms are absolutely dying.  Seriously, last week I wanted to puke after doing exactly this.  What I noticed is that when I am failing big time on these pulls/chins, it is because I am on a low calorie diet.  In other words, this one exercise, more than any other exercise I do, seems to have a success factor almost directly related to my general calorie intake and/or general energy level.  It is weird as hell, and I have noticed it on several occasions.  I mean, other lifts will start to degrade and get weaker as one would expect, but I flat out FAIL with these.  So, maybe try a week or two off of the famous Nebu 1200 calorie diet - bump it up to 2k - and see what happens?  Just a thought.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #679 on: February 15, 2012, 06:56:26 AM

I hate hate HATE wide grip pullups.  They are just so uncomfortable to me.  That said, as you must know, wide grips are far more lat intensive, so one way you could go about it is to find a lat machine and try to murder your lats on it for a few weeks.  My arms generally fail before my lats will on pullups, which is one of the reasons I like the lat machine...it seems to target my lats slightly better, as counterintuitive as that seems.

Just a tip I learned years back:  Don't go to full extension when targeting back on chins or a machine.  if you keep your elbows slightly bent, you will isolate the back more and fatigue your arms less.  I sometimes even use straps so that I don't fatigue grip using higher weight/lower rep workouts. 

Diet: I'm going up to 1500 cal.  I've hit my 185lb target and don't see a reason to get smaller.  I'm still not to 6% body fat yet, so I'll just have to watch the quality of calories.  Last night for dinner I ate a pound of shrimp (bad nebu, high cholesterol) and a salad.  If you're not familiar, Richard Wiendruch (U Wisconsin) does some very interesting research on delayed aging and caloric restriction.  Science 27 August 1999:Vol. 285 no. 5432 pp. 1390-1393  or DOI: 10.1126/science.285.5432.1390

I'm contemplating staying on a high nutrient, 1500 Cal diet if I can manage it.  I just need to drink more water and give up diet coke.

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: February 17, 2012, 01:56:20 AM

Interesting tip, I will keep that in mind.  I think I sort of naturally do that anyway, except for the last few reps of pullups - then I am simply hanging as an excuse rest for half a beat.

Reminds me of something funny - I get a chuckle out of most people who use the pull down machines when they try to go heavy.  The angle of their elbows only changes a few degrees from flexion to extension, and instead they kind of stretch out their entire upper body and kind of bob up and down at the same time.  Looks hilarious.  Maybe they are just really, REALLY trying to isolate their lats?  awesome, for real

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: February 17, 2012, 04:14:00 AM

Since this apparently has turned into the general diet and exercise thread, I decided at the first of the year that I had to start eating better and lose some weight. I found this little app for my phone that lets me scan/lookup foods and keep track of my calories and it has really helped a lot.

I started out around 280 and am down below 260 for the first time in probably 3-5 years. I have found that keeping myself right around 1500 calories a day is not too bad. I never ate a huge amount of food I just ate way too much red meat/cheese/bread/fried food and was drinking high sugar lemonade.

Next week I am going to start working out to get in better shape as well. I think my "goal" is to finish around 225 or 230 which I haven't been since I got out of high school.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #682 on: February 17, 2012, 04:45:05 AM

Yeah, this has been the general fitness thread for a while.  Somebody should think about changing the name of the thread.

Anyway, good you on Chimpy.  You should join our Fitocracy group.  It's kind of a fun way to make you push yourself a little bit, especially if you have that min/maxer thing in you, plus it also can help you track your workouts a little (though there are admittedly better ways).

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #683 on: February 17, 2012, 05:10:10 AM

My problem with working out is always motivational. I really think I need to have a personal trainer, at least at first. Without someone pushing me I tend to give up.

I have a free through work membership at a gym on the other side of town, but it takes me 15 minutes each way to get there and my schedule is so busy with the two jobs that I don't have that kind of time so I will probably join the gym that is 4 blocks away. It is 20 a month which is definitely doable.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: February 17, 2012, 05:19:44 AM

My key to working out is to make it a part of my daily routine.  It's as important as any other aspect of my day.  If you don't treat it this way, it's far too easy to take a day off.

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: February 17, 2012, 05:20:34 AM

The problem with personal trainers is that they seem to universally be complete idiots.  Either that or they just don't give a shit.  If it paid anything even remotely decent, I would soooooo become a PT, just so I could balance out the world of retarded PTs.  You can do so much better just by learning about things yourself, in my opinion.

Honestly, in any case, you need to find the motivation inside yourself.  I don't think it works if it is someone else trying to project it onto you, because you will only learn to resent them.  My advice to you right now would be to just force yourself through the motions for the first few weeks.  I don't mean cheating your way through it, I mean literally pushing your way through it despite the fact that you are feeling miserable about it.  At some magical point, things start to change.  You start to like it.  Then, you start to love it.  Keep at it long enough, you will actually become addicted to it.

There is no finish line, but the starting line is right in front of you.  Go for it.  If you want any help in terms of what kind of stuff to do and what kind of goals you want to achieve, there are intelligent people in this very thread that can help guide you.

My key to working out is to make it a part of my daily routine.  It's as important as any other aspect of my day.  If you don't treat it this way, it's far too easy to take a day off.

Not only that, but I think you get to a point where you begin to prioritise your life differently.  My working out is not secondary in my life, it is right near the top of my priorities (as long as family is not neglected).  I intensely dislike having to skip a day.  Through reasons I cannot control, I haven't worked out since Tuesday and it is driving me absolutely BONKERS.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:22:50 AM by Cyrrex »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: February 17, 2012, 05:31:00 AM

Also, I am reminded about a guy I see going to my gym.  I see the guy there at least 30% of the time I am there, which means he is probably going there quite a lot, maybe every day.  This is a big, big guy.  I imagine that when I saw him for the first time about 4 or 5 months ago, he was pushing 400 pounds, and it wasn't a lot of muscle.  He plugs away at it, day after day.  You can almost see the shame he has in his eyes, the embarassment he feels as he rather slowly plods along on the bike or the treadmill, or pushes rather modest weights over his head.  But god dammit if this guy hasn't changed the way he looks over the past few months.  You can see the confidence build, the change in the look in his eye, and the outline of his frame decreasing.  The wheels on the bike are going faster, and the weights above his head are a bit heavier.  I cannot imagine what he has gone through or is going through, but this is the one guy at the gym that impresses me more than any other five combined.  Fucking good for him.  If he kind find motivation, and the dedication to stick with it, then the rest of us can too.  That's what I think every time I see the guy.  I want to go over and high-five him every time I see him, but I imagine that would just make him feel weird.   awesome, for real

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: February 17, 2012, 08:56:18 AM

That's awesome

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #688 on: February 17, 2012, 09:48:25 AM

I think Cyrrex has nailed it.  Yes, you have the stupid little twats in yoga pants, heels and make-up that are flirting with the latest Jersey Shore extra who was doing curls in the god damn squat rack, but everyone hates those jackasses.  Even though that seems to be the rep a lot of gyms get, and people's greatest fear of not fitting in.

For the most part, if you're there and putting in the honest effort, people will respect that - regardless of what you look like, and it won't matter if you're doing 10 lb dumbbells or 75's. 
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: February 17, 2012, 10:20:40 AM

I think Cyrrex has nailed it.  Yes, you have the stupid little twats in yoga pants, heels and make-up that are flirting with the latest Jersey Shore extra who was doing curls in the god damn squat rack, but everyone hates those jackasses.  Even though that seems to be the rep a lot of gyms get, and people's greatest fear of not fitting in.

For the most part, if you're there and putting in the honest effort, people will respect that - regardless of what you look like, and it won't matter if you're doing 10 lb dumbbells or 75's. 
I've decided to just ignore those types and just focus on myself.  Yes, I'm not proud I'm the biggest woman in the Sunday morning Zumba class, but goddammit, I'm there and moving my fat ass around so that it will eventually not be so fat.  I can't always keep up with the move changes (this class is seriously crowded and seeing the instructor can be a challenge) but I do keep moving.  In fact, I'm rather surprised at the fact that I have been able to keep moving for a solid 50 minutes all told.  This Sunday will be the 4th class I've gone to but already I'm not dying in soreness and pain on Monday and Tuesday.  I am far less coordinated than I thought, though.

Plus the class is much more interesting than just walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes at a time.  I do need to add some weights into the mix to build up my muscle strength, but right now I'm focusing on doing the Zumba first and getting the routine of that more solid before adding another step.  I'd also like to add in a fitness yoga class to help with flexibility somewhat, but the class I want to go to is Wednesday nights at 7:30 and I've ended up working late the past few Wednesdays.  If I don't leave work by 5pm, there is no way I'm making a 7:30 class :(

Probably once I'm ready to seriously add the weights, I'll post here for advice.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: February 17, 2012, 10:39:01 AM

This.  I have far more respect for someone trying than someone going as part of the fashion show. 

Have I mentioned that I hate people that swing weights just to look like they're curling more?  Fucking posers.

-  Mark Twain
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: February 17, 2012, 11:52:07 AM

Have I mentioned that I hate people that swing weights just to look like they're curling more?  Fucking posers.
I was always under the impression that swinging weights could be detrimental or even hurt you.  Not from anything anything someone said, just the idea that swinging a weight around can't be a good thing.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #692 on: February 17, 2012, 12:33:43 PM

Speaking of swinging weights around, kettlebell figure 8s are monstrous. I feel like I'm crippled - I'm still hobbling around from Tuesday's all-kettle leg day. Figure 8s, squats, lunges, calf raises. I haven't been this sore since my first two weeks.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: February 19, 2012, 10:17:58 PM

I was always under the impression that swinging weights could be detrimental or even hurt you.  Not from anything anything someone said, just the idea that swinging a weight around can't be a good thing.

The swinging that Nebu is talking about in this case is when someone is doing standing dumbbell curls for their biceps.  The thing is, if you kind of get your upper body moving too much and your arms going back too far without coming to a stop, you can rather easily "swing" up quite a bit more weight than you are actually capable of lifting.  It isn't dangerous, so much as it makes you look like a giant douche.

But while we're on the subject, I tend to agree with you.  I don't understand the kettlebell phenomenon, which almost always involves swinging the weights.  This is partly do to ignorance, I will admit, but what are people supposedly achieving with these things?  I suppose the squat and other leg related exercise are okay, as I doubt you are swinging too much...but that Figure 8 thing looks like a terrible idea.  KBs in general seem like a bad idea to me, I don't know.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #694 on: February 20, 2012, 04:37:09 AM

This.  I have far more respect for someone trying than someone going as part of the fashion show. 

What baffles me is seeing these guys at 5am.  Nobody's there to look at you, studly.  Stop dropping the weight into your thigh then hip-thrusting to get it going again and drop some weight if you can't do it without the gyrations.

I guess another part of it is self-delusion.   "I can do 75# one-hand curls!"  No.  No, you can't.

It could also be that he's just an ass, since it's the same jackass who likes clanging the weights and wears a T with the sleeves and neck ripped-out and shorts no matter the weather. Yes, all the 40 & 50 year old women are swooning at you, brosef.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: February 20, 2012, 05:14:13 AM

Pushing the dumbbell off from the thigh with hip thrust?  Haven't seen that one...sounds hilarious, though.

For the record, I wear shorts at the gym almost all the time.  Largely because it is more comfortable.  I will also wear those dry-fit lycra tops without the sleeves (not torn out...they come that way).  Mostly, this is because I am a little OCD about having things like sleeves and loose clothing get in the way of my concentration when I am lifting.  Seriously, the thought of an errant sleeve while I am pushing weight over my head...just the thought drives me bonkers.  If it also makes the cougars a little randy, well, I can live with that.   swamp poop

I am now wondering if I am the giant douche type that I usually can't stand.  Thanks for the complex, Merusk!

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: February 20, 2012, 05:18:23 AM

We all are a bit of the giant douche we can't stand. It is a fact of life.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: February 20, 2012, 05:21:20 AM

We all are a bit of the giant douche we can't stand. It is a fact of life.

The only time I'm a douche at the gym is when people don't pick up after themselves.  I really hate it when people leave their weights on the bar or dumbbells on the floor. 

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #698 on: February 20, 2012, 05:25:30 AM

Unless you're clanging the weights on purpose, you're not the douche. (How do I know it's on purpose?  He just ripped out 12-15 of those exercises where you're bending sideways on the machine with the weight strap held at your head.  (I don't know what they're called, obviously.)   Little effort expended but he lets go of the weight when he's halfway to neutral so it CLANGS and shakes the floor.

Shorts I understand at a lot of gyms.  I wear them once the weather warms up myself.  However, my gym is a glass-box Urban Active where they turn the heat down at 6pm Sunday when they close the gym.  It doesn't get turned up again until sometime around 4:30am Monday when the first trainer shows up(and sometimes not until 5)  That place is damn chilly when it's below 32 outside, even if you're working out.   Maybe I'm just old and the weather's starting to affect me.

Even Muscle shirts I get. But Ripped-T's?  awesome, for real  Why not pull on that <high school sport team> shirt in your mid-20s and 30's?

See there's a line and he's over it on all of them.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:27:05 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: February 20, 2012, 05:39:44 AM

Hah!  Barring people with neck injuries, I doubt you ever really need to train your neck muscles in isolation.  Pretty hilarious to envision.

Re: the weight cleaning up thing.  I actually will often leave the 45 plates on the bar (one on each side) because I expect that actually makes it easier on the next person.  6 in 1, half dozen in the other?

I also once deliberately left something like 14 45lb plates on a squat machine because the guy kept watching me like some kind of impatient dick.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: