Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:32:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  (Read 477240 times)
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #630 on: January 11, 2012, 01:03:07 AM

Trip report! Max strength test, 1 rep, two month anniversary for new weight benchmark/adjustment. I took the previous week off before doing this so it's pretty much as good as it gets. I'll use these numbers to adjust my workout weight to 2-3 sets of various similar exercises, 12 reps @ 80%.

FTR, I'm 5'8, 135lb.
Bench Press    135
Lat Pulldown   144
Cable Rows     132
Shoulder Press 135
Preacher Curls  70
Triceps Press   90
Leg Press      450

I've got the gym routine pretty down, so this next two months I'm focusing more on nutrition and cutting down the eating out / eating like crap. Less chick-fil-a and chicken parm and more grilled fish and veggies. Also, no more skipping meals because I am lazy/tired.

Good going man! I'm just curious, are the bench and shoulder press done with free weights or machines?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #631 on: January 11, 2012, 07:58:54 AM

We stuck to the safe stuff doing the strength tests, so a lot of it was done on the smith, but we generally take the freeweight option whenever it is available. Normal routines are 2-3 sets, 80% of that figure, 12 reps or until failure. Adjusted up/down a little for various exercises, of course.

I'm a big fan of squats, personally. As a climber, it's pretty much the one exercise that helps my climbing the most. Unfortunately, the two guys I go with are less enthusiastic.

I don't do deadlifts (yet) because I can't get the form quite right and I've had a lower back injury in the past (fell off a wall, landed bad) which makes it dicey. I've got a few 'personal trainer' sessions that I got when I signed up at the gym, and I'll be using those almost exclusively to get correct form on some of the harder stuff - squats, deadlifts and kettle bells in particular in the months ahead, once the gym empties out a bit from the resolutioners.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: January 11, 2012, 11:02:24 AM

Ah right, that explains that then; I was trying to see how you could have bench and shoulder press both at body weight (which is really good); since shoulder press will always lag behind bench with free weights (in theory).

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #633 on: January 11, 2012, 01:26:34 PM

135 lb Military presses are tough for me at 185, so great work!  You've really put together a nice set of numbers there.  The tough part will be in deciding where to go from here.  It's always fun for me to think about how I want to shape and improve my level of fitness.  I hope that you can find some fun in it as well.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #634 on: January 11, 2012, 03:28:42 PM

If I was that weight I'd be hitting weighted chinups like crazy.

Agreed though, it's a damn fine set of numbers to be working with.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #635 on: January 11, 2012, 06:22:45 PM

135 lb Military presses are tough for me at 185, so great work!  You've really put together a nice set of numbers there.  The tough part will be in deciding where to go from here.  It's always fun for me to think about how I want to shape and improve my level of fitness.  I hope that you can find some fun in it as well.
Thanks for all the kind words :)  Though as K9 intimated, bench press on the smith rack is basically like cheating.

I'm up for absolutely anything but running. Fuck running! That 5k last year was plenty. I have no interest in ever pushing for distance again; I found it pretty miserable. I am just not built for it. I can't wait for it to get warmer though, I think water is on the menu for this year - I'm going to do a few kayaking daytrips for sure.

The winter is really not the best time to start getting the 'I need to do something outside' itch. We'll see how things look in a few more months once it's warmer.

Edit: Not military. I wish!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:44:40 PM by bhodi »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #636 on: January 11, 2012, 08:37:28 PM

Military press != bench press.

Edit: Hmm...shoulder press?

If you can military press the same that you can bench press that is quite odd. 135 is quite a lot for a military press and pretty low for a bench press.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:40:40 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #637 on: January 11, 2012, 08:39:44 PM

Edit: Getting terms confused again. Yeah, I didn't do military presses, only shoulder. So basically, straight arm down to the top of the head / 90 degree elbow. I've never done military presses, actually. I'll try them out.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:46:53 PM by bhodi »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: January 11, 2012, 10:39:45 PM

Uh....what?  You are all confusing me.  People often use the military/shoulder terms interchangeably.  I think the original definition of the military press is that you are standing up (like, at attention).  Shoulder press or overhead press would be the generic terms for all these kinds of movements.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong here, I am just trying to figure out what we're talking about.  Each of the variations has its different advantages and disadvantages (range of motion, safety, ease of starting position), but your relative strength would generally be the same.  Unless you are doing some behind the neck stuff, which you should probably avoid.

Personally, I prefer the seated dumbbell shoulder presses.  Range of motion is the best possible for shoulder exercises, and they are totally safe. Hard to cheat.  Downside is that it is a motherfucker to get heavy weights into starting position, and also that it doesn't stimulate your whole body like a standing press would do.  I am routinely doing about 80lbs per hand, up to 8 reps.  Hilariously, I can't even get off one rep at 85 lbs per hand, because of the aforementioned difficulty getting into start position.  My stupid left arm seems to call it quits at that point.  Ohhhhh, I see.

And bhodi - I can't remember if you are the same person I had this conversation before in this thread...but get thee away from that Smith machine ASAP.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #639 on: January 25, 2012, 05:05:12 PM

Hey Nebu, you mentioned last page that you were mainly doing (or had been) body weight exercises, and that you were going to start your ‘killer’ routine for the next 10 weeks.  Mind an update on that?  I’ve just started dieting and exercising again, seeing if I can pull off using nothing but body weight routines.

You gave me some great advice before, and the Body for Life book was very useful.  Alas, I fell off the wagon the last few years, and my body is probably in the worst shape of my life, after spending the last half of the year eating, drinking, and whoring (well, less of that one) across the US and Europe.  However, I really don’t feel like paying for a gym membership, and I’ve read that body weight exercises are actually really effective for getting lean.

To start me off my first few weeks, I’m warming up by running through the routines in an iPhone app called Gorilla Workout.  They don’t take too long to do, but they’re daily, and I’m certainly feeling pretty god damn sore after a few days.  However, from reading around, I get the feeling that I’ll need to be doing longer routines than this if I want to make significant improvement.

Any opinions you have on these sorts of routines would greatly be appreciated.  My main goal is to just look and feel better.  Need to shred all this god damn weight I put on.  While it would be nice to be able to bench press high amounts, run marathons, and perform other feats of strength, my only real goal is to shred fat and look/feel better.  Would keeping up a body weight routine be my best route, or should I move to a more traditional home exercise program like the P90 (I don’t think I’m close to being able to start the P90X right now)?  That also goes for anybody else who has any thoughts, not just Nebu.  ;) 

I just need to find a nice workout and diet program to dedicate myself to intensely over the next 3-6 months, hoping to see significant improvement by summer.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #640 on: January 26, 2012, 07:34:07 AM

Sounds like your main goal is shedding fat/weight, and close behind it would be generally getting into shape?  Your diet is your first priority, which should be no surprise.  Energy spent needs to exceed energy intake.  Don't worry about a specific diet, just make sure you aren't devouring calories.  Keep your protein intake (lean protein) relatively high to help avoid too much muscle loss while you lose weight (though depending on what kind of shape you are in, it may be possible to actually gain some muscle while you lose weight).  Avoid drinking your calories at this point.  Protein shakes...probably save it for later.  Water is your friend.

I'm not familiar with a full blown body weight program, but it seems to me that you might need access to at least SOME equipment.  I'll bet Nebu is doing a shitload of pull/chinups, for example, and probably body weight dips (not the girly kind where you hang your ass off a bench and put your feet up...okay, you might need to start with those).  Hell, those are exercises you should consider for any program.  But you need something to do them on, so keep that in mind.

Do some cardio, but don't rely on it.  Cardio is actually a somewhat inefficient way to lose weight - strength training is more effective by far...not only does it burn calories, but it has far greater long term impacts on your metabolism.  Do the cardio for your heart (maybe some running for your core), not your weight.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #641 on: January 26, 2012, 07:41:37 AM

Hey Nebu, you mentioned last page that you were mainly doing (or had been) body weight exercises, and that you were going to start your ‘killer’ routine for the next 10 weeks.  Mind an update on that?  I’ve just started dieting and exercising again, seeing if I can pull off using nothing but body weight routines.

I mentioned that I bought a Power Tower.  For body weight exercises, I think that it's a must.  My workouts were mainly a series of supersets that used opposing body groups.  I was pretty surprised to find that I could lose weight and still maintain a reasonable amount of strength as a result. The other great thing was that my workouts were short but intense, rarely lasting more than 30 mins.  Here's what I'd do 6 days a week.

Narrow, reverse grip pullips (biceps/back) to failure followed by dips (shoulders/tris) to failure. (3 sets)

Wide grip pullups (shoulders/back) to failure followed by pushups to failure. (3 sets)

Etc.

I'm halfway through my second week in the weight room. Since it has been a while (and I'm old), I'm starting off easy for a couple of weeks until the soreness subsides.  Here's my routine for the first month:

M: Shoulders/Arms
Dips for a warmup
Side lateral raises (dumbell) x 3
Upright row supersets (6 reps to failure with a curl bar, 10 reps with a 45 lb plate) x 3
Military barbell presses, behind the head (as much weight as I can handle for 6 reps) x 3
Tricep killers (8 skull crushers followed by 8 french curls followed by 8 narrow grip presses) x 3
Tricep pushdowns (use machine and a rope)
Neutral grip pullups to failure x 3
Bicep dumbell killers (8 seated curls, decrease weight and do 8 more, decrease weight and do 8 more) x 3

W: Legs
40 m sprints followed by 100 m cooldown x 10
front squats x 3
leg presses x3
quad curls x 3
reverse quad curls x 3
calf raises x3
jog 1-2 miles

F: Chest/back
Bench press (enough weight to fail at 6-7 reps) followed by wide pushups to failure x 3
incline dumbell presses followed by wide grip pull ups x 3
decline press
Dumbell flys followed by narrow grip machine rows x 3
Machine lat pull downs x 3

If I'm not sore, I do my naturals (above) on T, Th, and Sat along with ab work
Abs:
Vertical leg raise x 3
vertical knee raise, obliques x 3
incline crunches with a plate on my head.  (if using a weight or medicine ball on your chest is too easy, raise it higher for more resistance)

NOTE: I'm a big believer in not working small muscle groups too much, particularly biceps.  They get enough work on chest/back day so I don't over fatigue them on arm days.  If you focus on the major muscle groups (pecs, lats, tris, delts, quads) the smaller, supporting muscles will follow. This helps with strength as well as flexibility.

Also: Nutrition is 90% of the battle.  All the gym time in the world is wasted if you don't eat well.  My diet has become VERY strict lately and I'm seeing the results.  Eat with purpose and fuel with quality.  It makes a HUGE difference.  Maybe some day I'll post pictures.  

I'll be starting GVT (German Volume Training) again in February.  I'll post a routine then.

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:54:55 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #642 on: January 29, 2012, 01:14:53 PM

I'm guessing I went over the top with that.  To simplify: I tend to mix my routines to add muscle confusion and to alternate between building and fitness to keep my joints healthy. 

-  Mark Twain
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: January 30, 2012, 04:17:19 AM

Yeah, that is a fairly mental schedule.

I'm tempted to give GVT a go. Does it have to be done as a complete program, or can you restrict it to discrete muscle groups while doing other types of work elsewhere? So say, could I be doing a 10x10 chest set using weighted dips and bench on alternate weeks while doing other sorts of work for back and legs?

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #644 on: January 30, 2012, 05:03:50 AM

Trust me when I say that just working chest, back, shoulders, and legs will cover the support muscles as well.  A single exercise for each major area 10 x 10 will have the target area and all small muscles screaming.  So feel free to do a little research and see what style fits you best.

M: Chest/back
W: Legs/Abs
F: Shoulders/arms

Would do fine.  With GVT you don't want to workout too often as you'll need the recovery time.

This is the workout I'm planning to start next week.  I'll probably start with flat bench presses and lat pulldowns today and am contemplating doing them as a superset for added intensity.  I try not to allow more than 90s rest between reps, but by the 6th set it gets harder to stay on time.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:15:57 AM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #645 on: January 30, 2012, 06:47:56 AM

I get a sense of that, I tried 10x10 bench on friday to see what it's like and the DOMS over the weekend has been pretty nuts. What do you think of leg press as an exercise for GVT by the way?

I wish I could do 10x10 chins as my back work, but sadly I can't quite do that, and frankly doing assisted chins with less than ~25% of BW feels pointless as the assistance gets lost in movement of the hips and legs. (also I hate assisted chins). I guess I could drop the cleans and snatches for a month and do deadlifts and rows.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #646 on: January 30, 2012, 06:51:54 AM

I get a sense of that, I tried 10x10 bench on friday to see what it's like and the DOMS over the weekend has been pretty nuts. What do you think of leg press as an exercise for GVT by the way?

I much prefer normal squats, front squats, or dumbell lunges for legs as they work more minor groups.  Leg presses, particularly on a machine, just don't offer the same work as using free weights.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:57:39 AM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: January 30, 2012, 07:27:44 AM

That's fair, I just want to put more emphasis on my quads, and I feel that squats tend to end up favouring the glutes more than I want. Perhaps front squats might be the best.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #648 on: January 30, 2012, 07:29:12 AM

That's fair, I just want to put more emphasis on my quads, and I feel that squats tend to end up favouring the glutes more than I want. Perhaps front squats might be the best.

The nice thing about front squats is that you can get a lot of quad work with much lighter weight than with normal squats.  My back loves them too.

-  Mark Twain
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #649 on: January 30, 2012, 07:37:14 AM

I went to my first Zumba class over the weekend.  Made it through the entire class without totally stopping, although I didn't do every move exactly like the instructor showed it (near the end I was freaking tired and sweaty).  I also realized I can't jump.  I'm planning to go back for more since I did enjoy it.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: January 30, 2012, 09:55:53 AM

Zumba sounds like a wonderful way to get fit.  It reminds me of a time when I was dating a Puerto Rican woman and she made me take salsa lessons.  It quickly brought me to the realization that my hips just don't move that way no matter how badly I wanted them to.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:30:59 PM by Nebu »

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #651 on: February 01, 2012, 03:25:15 AM

I'm tempted to give GVT a go. Does it have to be done as a complete program, or can you restrict it to discrete muscle groups while doing other types of work elsewhere? So say, could I be doing a 10x10 chest set using weighted dips and bench on alternate weeks while doing other sorts of work for back and legs?

Having done this a couple months ago for the first time, I can add a little benefit of experience:

- Start at roughly 50 to 60 % of your max for 1 rep.  Be conservative....it is harder than you think.
- Do squats of some sort, no leg presses.  You will want to barf up your fucking guts by set 10 and will laugh at yourself for even considering any other leg exercises.  Walking will be a challenge for the next few days, and that will remain an issue for the duration of the program. You can do some leg curls, but I found them to be a waste of time after the squats (still did them, though).  Also did calf raises, but again, those are laughably easy after the squats.
- Deadlifts are not recommended for GVT.  Considered to be too much stress on the body.  I tend to believe it.
- Don't worry about having to use the lat pulldown machine instead of doing pullups.  Your arms and lats will be melting by the last set.
- I also did pendlay rows and seated cable rows.  Could probably just get by with one of those.  Doing these and lat pulldowns on the same day was sooooo painful.
- For rest times, I actually set my timer for 60 seconds between sets.  This is the single most difficult thing about the program, IMO.  The timer would go by so fast...it had me rethinking my life.  I almost always managed to stick to the time, but it will slip once in a while.
- Every week, put another 5 or 10 pounds on the bar for every exercise, assuming you completed all the reps last week.  It is going to be hell, but that is the point of the program.
- I did abs (simple crunches) on back day, but to be honest...I doubt they are necessary.  The squats are probably giving you all the ab work you need.  I only did them to stretch out my recovery time between pulling sessions.
- While I did incorporate bicep curls and tricep pushdowns, don't worry too much if you can't do full 10 x10s on these.  Your arms are going to be burning anyway.
- Eat.  A lot.
- Be prepared to be tired, crabby, and psychologically impacted.

By far the most difficult training program I have ever tried.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #652 on: February 01, 2012, 04:10:29 AM

Considering how beat up I'm feeling from just doing these 5x5 lifts, I want no part of GVT any time soon.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: February 01, 2012, 05:29:38 AM

By far the most difficult training program I have ever tried.

I'm a huge fan of having at least 3 months per year of high intensity training.  It really shocks the hell out of the muscles and the last 3 sets ensure that you destroy even deep muscle for rebuilding.  I do have to confess that I was supposed to start GVT this week, but I put it off.  I was still having some slow recovery days on my current plan and I know that GVT would leave me in a mess.  Hopefully next week.

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #654 on: February 01, 2012, 06:50:04 AM

Yeah, for all my apparent negativity, it is a really good program.  I will do it once in a while just to keep things honest.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #655 on: February 01, 2012, 11:39:32 AM

Thanks for the added feedback. I'm still on the fence about leg exercise as I need to be able to cycle 7-9 miles per day getting to and from work, the gym and other places. The lat pulldown is a good idea, I tend to overlook the machines, but this might be appropriate.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #656 on: February 01, 2012, 09:29:30 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the info!  Sorry for the late response.

Sounds like your main goal is shedding fat/weight, and close behind it would be generally getting into shape?  Your diet is your first priority, which should be no surprise.  Energy spent needs to exceed energy intake.  Don't worry about a specific diet, just make sure you aren't devouring calories.  Keep your protein intake (lean protein) relatively high to help avoid too much muscle loss while you lose weight (though depending on what kind of shape you are in, it may be possible to actually gain some muscle while you lose weight).  Avoid drinking your calories at this point.  Protein shakes...probably save it for later.  Water is your friend.
t inefficient way to lose weight - strength training is more effective by far...not only does it burn calories, but it has far greater long term impacts on your metabolism.  Do the cardio for your heart (maybe some running for your core), not your weight.
Ok, two main questions here (for anybody really): 

First, how much protein should I be consuming in a day?  I've seen the recommended range from .5 grams per pound of body weight, to 1 per pound, to 1 per Kilo.  I'm currently sitting at 222, and am 6'1.  Been logging my meals the last few days since I started my diet.  I'm hitting about 120 grams a day (and that comes from a variety of protein sources.  Chicken breast, black beans, pea soup, Protein bar).  This sound about right, anyone?  Or do I need to increase it?

Second, I've dropped my caloric intake to about 1300-1400 a day.  I know you aren't suppose to go too low, but I think I've adjusted to this.  Take that in about 5 meals spread throughout the day, with nothing after 8-9 PM.  I don't really feel weak, dizzy, or starving at all through the day (just kind of hungry in the run up to the next snack).  Any thoughts/criticisms?

And actually a third question, why do you say not to drink my calories?  I've been looking at possibly grabbing some protein powder if it seems my protein intake isn't high enough.  Also, I've been trying to go for more of a soup diet this time around, as you can get some pretty good stuff out of the can that's healthy (low fat, lots of fiber, decent protein), and its waaaaay easier than trying to cook everything.  So, just curious.

Nebu:
Thanks for the ideas, I'll see if I can read up on some other stuff and clobber together a good program.  Hopefully I'm getting the nutrition stuff down perfectly, as both of you and others say its the most important part.  I've ordered one of those door frame pull-up bars that you can also do dips with.  Between that, push up bars, and a pretty nifty set of resistance bands I ordered in place of dumb bells, I think I can actually pull off some pretty good stuff at home.  However, I can't even really do a full pull up at this point, heh.  Any good exercise I can do to really work those same muscles, so I can start actually doing the damn things?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #657 on: February 01, 2012, 09:37:43 PM

I think far too many people get hung up on exactly what exercises they are doing or exactly what they are eating, probably because a lot of advice trickles down from people like athletes and trainers where it really makes a difference. For a typical person the most important thing by far is to stick to it and not slack. That is why nearly everyone fails at losing weight and keeping it off.

Sticking to a schedule and plan is more important than the particulars.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #658 on: February 01, 2012, 10:15:37 PM

Eh, its also a motivational thing for me.  I have to min/max everything to enjoy it.  I do it in every MMO I play, and I do it for everything IRL.   awesome, for real  I need to at least feel like I doing the most efficient diet and workout routine combo, so that I know what I'm doing is in fact the very best way to shed fat and get healthier.  Very hard for me to follow through and keep up with something (especially something like this, which impacts my daily comfort level so heavily) if something makes me doubt that.  Just a personal qwerk I guess.

-Stephen Colbert
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #659 on: February 01, 2012, 10:18:54 PM

Diet is far more important than anything.  Walking daily with a good diet will lead to weight loss.  

Teleku,

1) About 1.5 g protein per kg mass is a good place to start.  Keep in mind that taking in extra protein will also require extra water (to excrete the excess ammonia as urea).

2) I make a point of never going below 1500 cal for longer than 2 weeks.  Anything longer will reset metabolism to starvation mode.

3) 5-6 small meals a day is great as long as they are a) balanced and b) have only high quality, complex carbs

4) Don't eat within 2h of bed time and always eat breakfast... even if you don't want to.

5) Find a routine that you can stay with.  Make working out an integral part of your daily routine.  A partner will help keep you going.

Hope that helps.  If you want gory details, I'll get to it in the morning.

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: February 02, 2012, 11:21:12 PM

What I meant by the "don't drink your calories" statement was simply because I believe that when you are trying to stick to a low calorie diet, you will want to try to get your calories out of something more filling.  For example, 30 grams of protein in a chicken breast will fill you up much better than 30 grams in a protein shake (the chicken also requires more calories to digest it, but that is nit picking).  In other words, it makes holding to your diet easier, because you will be more filled up.  It should go without saying that you also shouldn't drink your calories in the form of sugary drinks...that would be a diet killer.

If the min/maxing is important to you, go for it.  But to be honest, when weight loss is your prime goal, it is probably more important that you just focus on the calories in versus calories out ratio.  If you want to worry about the macro nutrients, and how much protein per kg of mass...that's cool, but really that has more of an impact later on when you are more advanced and specifically trying to build muscle mass or are going through a cutting phase.  Eat less, and eat intelligently.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #661 on: February 08, 2012, 11:13:38 AM

So... a friend of mine has been doing the Insanity workout program and is pretty impressed by it.  Anyone here tried it yet?  I don't remember if it has been mentioned or not in this thread.

-  Mark Twain
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: February 08, 2012, 02:03:18 PM

So... a friend of mine has been doing the Insanity workout program and is pretty impressed by it.  Anyone here tried it yet?  I don't remember if it has been mentioned or not in this thread.

I actually just got back from talking with a friend about doing either the Insanity workout, or the p90x. She couldn't give too many details but it sounds VERY similar.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #663 on: February 08, 2012, 02:18:25 PM

I know a few people who have started it and seem to enjoy it (providing they survive the vomit inducing first week).  Seems to be just intense interval training with a lot of Plyo stuff. I keep meaning to track a copy down on eBay but I know I'm never going to make room in my life for an hour each day in front of a TV doing exercise. I have to be out on the trails or in the gym. My lounge is a sacred, exercise-free zone.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #664 on: February 08, 2012, 05:38:26 PM

One day I will learn how to handle enforced rest due to injury.  Or, maybe not be such a god damn idiot and re-injure the same fiinger three weeks in a row and be forced to become friends with Mr. Splint.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 44 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So. P90X anyone? (Misery loves company)  
Jump to: