Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:05:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Burn After Reading 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Burn After Reading  (Read 3422 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

on: December 22, 2008, 11:50:31 AM

Since someone brought it up in another thread. This may in fact be Brad Pitt's tour de force.

Basic Cohen's dark comedy. Great stuff from Pitt, Clooney and Malkovich. One of the few movies to actualy make me yell "What the fuck?" at the screen while watching it at home, alone.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 02:12:08 PM

I just rented and watched this. 

The good: I agree that Pitt was outstanding. 

The bad: The movie left me pissed that I had just wasted 2h of my life. 

Even if you love the Cohen brothers, this may be a pass. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:57:17 PM

I liked it but the ending was very lacking.  That woman who won the oscar for Michael Clayton scares the fuck out of me, she's really good.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 03:49:09 PM

I thought the ending was what made the whole movie.

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 08:02:37 AM

It was decent, a bit lacking compared to their other movies, guess it is me and my hate for the lead actress. The actors on the other hand.. Awesome. Pitt =  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

EDIT : I probably have a mancrush on Brad Pitt ever since Fight Club / Snatch.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:04:42 AM by photek »

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 04:12:39 PM

Nothing in the previews make me want to see this.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 04:46:07 PM

I thought the real standout was more Clooney than Pitt.

You want to see the movie because it's a Coen brothers movie, even though this isn't their best work it's still better than the majority of the stuff out there.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 11:04:50 AM

I agree with Ookii that Clooney was excellent.  Pitt phoned in a performance which was really one-paced.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed by the film: the Coen brothers used to release a film every two or three years and every single one would be golddust.  Now, they release one just about every year but the number of great movies has remained constant, meaning that every other one is amusing enough but simply not up to what you expect of them (The Ladykillers being another example).

The stand-out bits of the movie for me, apart from Pitt and Clooney's last interaction, were the two meetings with the CIA department head.  Those were hilarious.  But there was almost the feeling that you sat through the movie to get to them.

Malkovich was fun but was, ultimately, just Being John Malkovich yet again.  It was interesting to see Coen's wife being so unlikeable in contrast to her Fargo role, but then the Coen brothers increasingly do unlikeable characters.  Clooney in particular is getting the short end of the likeability stick these days from them, but he does it damn well.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 05:21:50 PM

Some good acting from various actors - but... *scratches head* Hm. Well, I'll put it like this:

After the final scene of this movie had ended, both me and the three other people watching the movie with me stared at the screen for several minutes without saying anything. Then we collectively shook our heads, sighed and went home. We've never mentioned the movie to eachother again with another word (It should be said, though, that this happened about three days ago - so in this case "never" is only three-days old - but we'll get there eventually.)

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 06:43:23 PM

I thought it was great with some excellent acting. Especially Clooney, as mentioned. Just the level of farce that I can manage.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 12:39:35 PM

I thought it was great. From the trailers, I expected it to be a Ladykillers/Intolerable Cruelty style Coen Brothers movie, good but not great. The performances really put this one over the top for me, but especially Pitt and Clooney. Pitt was so letter perfect with that characterization, especially when he's dancing to the Ipod while sitting in the car. Just hysterical.

It was a deconstructed farce on movies like Enemy of the State. I loved it.

voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 02:56:31 PM

As one friend of mine put it, "the chair" was one of the 10 Best of 2008. Great film. Saw it in BC when the Hubz and I were sick of walking around all day.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 10:53:59 PM

It was a deconstructed farce on movies like Enemy of the State.

You could tell that just by the title sequence. Also Spy Game, etc.

It's also a significant satire of the run-up to the Iraq war if you want to really burrow down into it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Burn After Reading  
Jump to: