Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: EA to layoff 1,000 and shutdown/consolidate 9 studios 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EA to layoff 1,000 and shutdown/consolidate 9 studios  (Read 32672 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #70 on: January 19, 2009, 03:24:45 PM

I like Sheepherder. He's kind of an asshole.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #71 on: January 20, 2009, 12:24:37 PM

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #72 on: February 03, 2009, 01:47:10 PM

Slightly updated details.

The widening losses are prompting EA to expand its restructuring efforts slightly, however. With the company's results announcement today, EA said it now plans to lay off 11 percent of its workforce, or 1,100 employees, and to close 12 of its facilities.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #73 on: February 03, 2009, 01:50:19 PM

Terrible news for a lot of people.
schild
Administrator

Reply #74 on: February 03, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

That loss is roughly on par with how shitty Madden sold this year. I've said for a while that the company was built on the house of Madden and when that topples, the giant has fallen. Looks like it actually came true, whoops.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: February 03, 2009, 02:02:27 PM

I game a lot with a guy that works for EA in Florida.  I'll have to give him a call to see if he still has a job. 

As much as I'm not a fan of EA, I always hate seeing talented folks lose their jobs. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #76 on: February 03, 2009, 02:50:33 PM

Dragon Age now 2H 2009. Is that news?

I have never played WoW.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #77 on: February 03, 2009, 02:54:41 PM

fiscal third quarter ended December 31, 2008.

the actual release

So yeah.  Look for Mythic and even Bioware to be sold off.  Yeah I like them both, but I am doomcasting EA.

Edit: 
" Loss per share... $  (3.28) ACK!  <-- THAT?  THAT's A LOTtm

Cripes.  They lost $1B in 2008 YoY.  Someone page Abagadro to this thread for a real analysis.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #78 on: February 03, 2009, 02:59:43 PM

That loss includes impairment charges, i.e. when you buy another company and it doesn't meet expectations, you have to write-off a portion of what you paid. Those kinds of charges are not considered as operating losses.  Bottom line, ERTS still made money before all the accounting noise but things are ugly.

I have never played WoW.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #79 on: February 03, 2009, 03:01:28 PM

Dragon Age now 2H 2009. Is that news?

It's news, but I can't say that changing the release window from a vague "sometime in the first half of '09" to a vague "sometime in the second half of '09" is big news.  I seem to recall similar happenings with Mass Effect.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #80 on: February 03, 2009, 03:01:58 PM

This is where Richard Garriot somehow cons someone into giving him money to buy Mythic and Lord British comes back to UO!  Woooaooo!

*cough*
*hack*
*spit*

Fuck, sorry. Dunno what came over me.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #81 on: February 03, 2009, 03:03:30 PM

EA in trouble will change the whole landscape.  That's why I find it noteworthy.  (Not because folks are losing work in a difficult time.)  Same situation for everyone but Vivendi it seems. 
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #82 on: February 03, 2009, 05:13:49 PM

WoW dungeon raids are immune to global economic recession, apparently.

I'm guessing the huge huge money paid for BioWare and Pandemic doesn't look like such a good investment right now.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: February 03, 2009, 05:26:32 PM

This is where Richard Garriot somehow cons someone into giving him money to buy Mythic and Lord British comes back to UO!  Woooaooo!

*cough*
*hack*
*spit*

Interesting idea, but I think EA still technically owns Ultima. Maybe Garriott could buy both Ultima and Mythic....

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #84 on: February 03, 2009, 05:30:34 PM

*cough*
*hack*
*spit*

Interesting idea, but I think EA still technically owns Ultima. Maybe Garriott could buy both Ultima and Mythic....

And launch Mark Jacobs into space?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #85 on: February 03, 2009, 05:38:36 PM

Garriot can just log in to RP as Lord British while the developers talk a bunch of shit to him to make him think he has input. I think that's pretty much what Raph did with him. Mark Jacobs we'll make the guy who has to read all the posts on Stratics for the dev team.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #86 on: February 04, 2009, 03:08:26 AM

fiscal third quarter ended December 31, 2008.

the actual release

So yeah.  Look for Mythic and even Bioware to be sold off.  Yeah I like them both, but I am doomcasting EA.

I'd be very surprised if Bioware got sold off any time soon (the main studio, not the Austin one) given that EA just went out of their way mention rough release dates not only for Dragon Age, but for Mass Effect 2 as well (Q1 2010).
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #87 on: February 04, 2009, 08:36:05 AM

That loss is roughly on par with how shitty Madden sold this year. I've said for a while that the company was built on the house of Madden and when that topples, the giant has fallen. Looks like it actually came true, whoops.
It's the first year there was no PC version of Madden!

why so serious?
schild
Administrator

Reply #88 on: February 04, 2009, 08:37:08 AM

It's the first year there was no PC version of Madden!

why so serious?
Even as a joke that qualifies as "dumb."
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: February 04, 2009, 09:40:05 AM

I'd be very surprised if Bioware got sold off any time soon (the main studio, not the Austin one) given that EA just went out of their way mention rough release dates not only for Dragon Age, but for Mass Effect 2 as well (Q1 2010).

I'm still allowed to worry. It's my nature.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: February 04, 2009, 09:51:39 AM

Is your nature just not to worry? Or is it the "chance favors the prepared mind" nature?   Ohhhhh, I see.

I hate seeing anyone go through troubling times, particularly when so much is out of their control. Regardless of whether you're worried or not, good luck man!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #91 on: February 04, 2009, 11:31:16 AM

Start working on Wii ports for Dragon Age and Mass Effect and you should be ok.
schild
Administrator

Reply #92 on: February 04, 2009, 12:03:02 PM

Start working on Wii ports for Dragon Age and Mass Effect and you should be ok.
lol @ horrendous advice.

Unless Dragon Age is a set of casual party games based on Medieval Times.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #93 on: February 04, 2009, 12:03:50 PM

Riccotello needs to put his fucking money where his mouth is. The EA Sports releases on the Wii have been almost universally mediocre to shit, with the exception of Tiger Woods.

schild
Administrator

Reply #94 on: February 04, 2009, 12:07:10 PM

Riccotello needs to put his fucking money where his mouth is. The EA Sports releases on the Wii have been almost universally mediocre to shit, with the exception of Tiger Woods.
That's a symptom of the system, not the game. awesome, for real

Seriously though, golf on the Wii is easy. Tennis? Sure. But anything that requires complex and fine tuned controls is a mess. The thing is simply a children's system. I'm not making fun of it here mind you, it's just the reality of the situation. Sure, No More Heroes came out on it and Mad World and Fragile are also. But as far as the input mechanism and precision of it, it's just not made for fine-tuned gaming. Shame, really. Never be as good as a guncon for arcade shooters and never be as good as a controller for complex games.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: EA to layoff 1,000 and shutdown/consolidate 9 studios  
Jump to: