Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:51:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: November's Best Selling PC Games, WAR MIA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: November's Best Selling PC Games, WAR MIA  (Read 30497 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #70 on: January 19, 2009, 03:40:44 PM

Mark also forget to mention that WAR has a recruit a friend program going.

In other words his statement that more new people are trying WAR today than a month of two ago tells us absolutely fucking nothing about their sales or subscription numbers.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #71 on: January 19, 2009, 04:35:21 PM

More people on in January than November or December on a specific day - let's see. Jan 17: Saturday. Dec 17: Wednesday. Nov 17: Monday. And yes Jacobs, I DO think you'd engage in semantics. Or else you'd just release player numbers.

Personally I don't call WAR a failure because it didn't get WOW numbers. I call it a failure because it got so many things wrong, including basic design issues.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #72 on: January 20, 2009, 12:51:31 AM

I really don't want to hear shit out of Mark/EA/Mythic besides "We have X number of paying subscribers". But they aren't going to say that because it'll just validate the flop stench coming off this thing.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #73 on: January 20, 2009, 04:06:11 AM

More people on in January than November or December on a specific day - let's see. Jan 17: Saturday. Dec 17: Wednesday. Nov 17: Monday. And yes Jacobs, I DO think you'd engage in semantics. Or else you'd just release player numbers.

Personally I don't call WAR a failure because it didn't get WOW numbers. I call it a failure because it got so many things wrong, including basic design issues.

I personally call it a failure because I found it completely and utterly boring.  Seems some others feel that way too awesome, for real.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: January 20, 2009, 04:58:55 AM

Jeez, Mark's nerd-rage is a pretty funny read on the VN boards but he really needs to stop with the VN posts, seriously. He has a PR team, let them do their jobs. If he wanted to nerd-rage post on some boards, he would do better to just monologue it and throw it on his blog.

His spin on population numbers (and server closures) is nauseating.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: January 20, 2009, 05:23:12 AM

It's just how he rolls. The only difference now is more people see it then the old DaoC days.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #76 on: January 20, 2009, 06:04:05 AM

He's "promised" to release player numbers in that thread if EA doesn't. We'll see.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #77 on: January 20, 2009, 07:15:52 AM

It is interesting to read Mark's comments.  I really wonder if he has even played the game for more than a few minutes at a time.  He also likes to use "LOL" a lot in his posts.  That is cool.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: January 20, 2009, 07:28:32 AM

I read all 20 pages of the VN thread.  My favorite part of it was the guy blaming Wal Mart for the fall in sales of WAR. 

It's wonderful that people still enjoy the game.  I just wonder why so many that remain are holding on with such blind faith.  Perhaps that's a statement of our society at large. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rodivar
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: January 20, 2009, 07:37:14 AM

The sheer idiocy of not having offical forums is highlighted by my morning reading and the top post at the "fan" sites mythic link's.  Weather intended or not and as a result of not having their own fourms, Mythic lends credibility to the linked sites, they are pushing people to places that reinforce the failure of the game  /boggle

Only War

1.  Good argument to population issues
2.  War T1-T3> 4
3.  End of January Announcement

Just so you guys don't have to go digging around on french fansites to find this $#!^...because god forbid Mythic uses offficial fansites or their Herald...

1. It was announced weeks ago that one of the remaining careers (Hammerer/Choppa) is not going to be making a comeback.

2. One of Mythic's Euro reps confirmed that the Hammerer will not be returning...so that means that the Dwarf class is getting changed.

3. Keen and Graevs, a Warhammer blog, received a package from Mythic with the date of 1/29/09 attached to it containing a clue to the end of the month announcement. The clue?                  Orange hair dye and a haircut/shaving kit.

Now, my opinion / part :
If anyone recalls, when this whole thing began and they changed over all the Hammers to IB usability I and a few other Staffers said, no doubt Choppa will come back, throwing Destruction        the half-assed easy route, and Order will get the brand new, and insanely popular Career to tip the balance even more in their favor.
Sure the Choppa was awesome in Beta and there was no reason to take it out, and when it returns it'll be clear that indeed, nothing significant was done to it to warrant it being removed, but the Dwarfs getting a Slayer-esque Career on the Order side is a bit much. They should have redone them both.

C'mon Mythic...show us you're not that company...

VN

1.  Does stealth need to be changed
2. Paul Barrett Interview with fires of WAR blog
3.  This Game Is Dead!
4.  Are they planning to consolidate servers, need to know to decide to cancel or not?
5.  Nancy Drew>Warhammer!

You can't tell me that anyone actually still believes that farming forums out to "fan sites"  is a net win.    Mythic is pushing their current and potinteal customers to get information they don't control, that is pretty much professional malpractice. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #80 on: January 20, 2009, 08:03:52 AM

My favorite part of it was the guy blaming Wal Mart for the fall in sales of WAR. 

Well, Walmart is clearly evil.  I love a good conspiracy theory DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

It's wonderful that people still enjoy the game.  I just wonder why so many that remain are holding on with such blind faith.  Perhaps that's a statement of our society at large. 

It is a bit baffling the number that will continue to pay 15 bucks a month for something they don't think is that good.  That is 180 bucks a year and 50 bucks for the box for a total of 230 dollars.  That is like buying a good "offline" game every other month.  That is enough to keep me occupied.
schild
Administrator

Reply #81 on: January 20, 2009, 08:29:47 AM

I read all 20 pages of the VN thread.  My favorite part of it was the guy blaming Wal Mart for the fall in sales of WAR.

My favorite part was him saying he leaves the PR to Paul.

I can't think of anyone I trust less than that sheisty dirtbag.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: January 20, 2009, 09:23:38 AM

Wait, which one is the sheisty dirtbag again?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ghost: If he's played the game for more then a few minutes, it's been the 'cheating' way. Not having to level/grind/gear the characters and just using generated toons. That or he's crazy and stands behind all the design decisions.

Either or!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #83 on: January 20, 2009, 12:41:08 PM

It still cracks me up that Mark Jacobs doesn't get the internet. I don't think it will ever stop amusing me.

God Save the Horn Players
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: January 20, 2009, 12:46:45 PM

He just replied again to another thread on the VN...

http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning_general_board/b22997/110006509/p5/?107

An excerpt: "You do know that we were one the best selling PC games of the year right? In 3 weeks we'll be able to say just how well we did sell both through retail and digital downloads. We sold fantastically in Sept/Oct (top five game), dropped in Nov, went back up in Dec (but still didn't crack the top 20 for retail sales) and are doing nicely in January."

Good old Mark, but hey they are doing nicely having dropped completely off the top 20 in both November and December...
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 20, 2009, 01:14:27 PM

I guess all those new players quit in T3 because we sure don't ever see new people in T4.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #86 on: January 21, 2009, 06:24:59 AM

Every post he makes about how the sky is really not falling and everything is peachy-keen should simply be replied to simply by quoting that post he made that was "If we aren't opening new servers 6 weeks after release, the game will be a failure."

It still cracks me up that Mark Jacobs doesn't get the internet. I don't think it will ever stop amusing me.

Indeed.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: November's Best Selling PC Games, WAR MIA  
Jump to: