Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:39:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: This game is not WoW and people still seem to rather like it. Am I wrong? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This game is not WoW and people still seem to rather like it. Am I wrong?  (Read 42667 times)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #105 on: December 26, 2008, 10:12:36 AM

Whenever I quit playing LotRO, it's because this is amplified a thousand times in the lone lands. Aside from the Weathertop instance, almost every solo/light group quest is exactly as you describe. Combine that with the LL's dreary atmosphere for 10+ levels and I start to burn out pretty bad.

North Downs.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: December 26, 2008, 12:20:59 PM

Yeah, Lone-Lands was a low point in the game for me, too. Do the swack-load of quests at the Forsaken Inn (there's so much overlap you can get items for 3-4 quests off a single kill) and get out.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: December 29, 2008, 07:22:19 AM

The UI is horrible and can't be configured at all. This is just unforgiveable in 2008. You can move parts, but not other parts. And mostly all you can do is skin it. I don't want an aggro meter or a healbot that heals for me. I just want to be able to move the action bars in the middle a bit to the right so I can fit my chat window in the left lower corner. I want to tweak the icons so I can see when my buffs run out. Well I can't do that. I realize that's a bit trivial, but why put up with it when I don't have to. And someone still needs to teach Turbine what an icon is. Those aren't icons, they're very very small paintings and they all look alike particularly if you're trying to keep track of buffs or debuffs.

Not that i agree with you (i don't, the UI is possibly one of the best, perhaps because of its limitations. And didn't turbine invent the Modern MMO UI, that all other games have copied since.), but...... Check it out.

Short version, there was a UI revamp/upgrade in the works for moria, it didn't happen. It is still coming however. No ETA, i suspect it will come in one of this years books.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Feaniad
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: December 29, 2008, 12:28:01 PM

I just hopped back into LOTRO for the first time since I left Nov 07.  I sure like it a lot more now.  They seem to have fixed a TON of the graphic glitches I was getting.  Survivability some classes seems better now too.

I have begun to see a pattern.  Don't even bother to play games at release.  Wait a year or more then play.  You'll be happier for it.

Gawd I should have done that with WAR.

Back to LOTRO go I.

Brandywine - Feaniad (Captain)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #109 on: December 30, 2008, 01:05:47 PM

I don't seem to have the same aggro problems as Num, in fact I am a huge cross-country traveler.  Roads are for chumps.  It's not like damn EQ.  Here, I can outrun everything, some things are not aggressive, and some give you warning before they attack (boars, bears, etc).  Maybe it's class choice, I don't know.

The Forsaken Inn quests, and the next town of Ost Gumby, are apparently there for XP gain only.  Lone Lands should be called Leveling Lands.  The quests are not terribly interesting but you can load up with seven of them that need more or less the same thing.  You go out and murder twenty goblins, lynxes, boars, orcs, and wargs, pick up some garbage from some ruins, then turn it all in at once for 6000xp (if you do these when they are yellow/white).  Repeat for more XP.  If you get bored, go do the now-green Epic quests that made you pull out your hair previously, or just go dick around somewhere else.  When I get bored with one thing, I seem to always find something else interesting to do.

If you try doing all of the quests in one area before moving on, that is incredibly tedious.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: December 30, 2008, 01:22:01 PM

If you try doing all of the quests in one area before moving on, that is incredibly tedious.

Coming from some one who did every pie run and every postal job in the shire.  why so serious?

=p

did to, got my perfect pie!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:23:48 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #111 on: December 30, 2008, 01:28:58 PM

Coming from some one who did every pie run and every postal job in the shire.  why so serious?

I, too, have my special pie.  I'm not at all normal, and if I found doing 100% of Shire quests and deeds to be a tad tedious, I expect most normal MOG players would find such a thing to be a subscription-breaker.  I haven't been able to stick to just Bree-land shit since moving out of the Shire.  My advice for most people is to whore around.  There's a lot to do, so go do it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #112 on: December 30, 2008, 01:52:04 PM

It's a real problem if you're a completionist.

I like to accept all of the quests I find and finish all of my quests before they go grey.  Wasn't a problem for elves, dwarves, and humans, but The Shire was brutal.  I was completely burned out of running between Overhill and Tookborough before I was even halfway done.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: December 30, 2008, 01:57:07 PM

Its near imposable to do all the quests in each zone before they turn grey. Save them for an alt.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #114 on: December 31, 2008, 09:09:48 AM

It's a real problem if you're a completionist.

I do agree, but I'm not really concerned about doing them before they turn grey.  It still satisfies my completionist urge, I get some XP and the same story.  Last night, for example, I took my level 24 hunter to kill Red Reaver, which took less than ten minutes solo counting the travel time.

I don't care to save them for an alt very much, although they are more entertaining when you can't just blow through them, so I am doing virgin runs through the dwarf quests with my RK dwarf alt.  The elf ones, however, I am doing with my hobbit hunter since I don't have any immediate plans to roll an elf.  Bree-land, I'm doing with my hobbit as well since the Epic line leads me there, and I got my fill of Archet during alpha/beta. awesome, for real

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: January 02, 2009, 08:55:19 AM

I went back to WoW to make use of that 10-day WotLK trial. I used to smack meself some good Warcrack a year and a half ago and thought it would be interesting to see how it held up after getting some perspective on things. I quit at 65, so I was still in Outlands.

I can just say wow. Questing in WoW sucks balls, even in Burning Crusade. I'm a little surprised actually and find it curious how all the little believable things LotRO does make all the difference.

Oh, and about that thing with having mobs aggro you everywhere you go.... I don't know, but when during my little revisit in WoW I seriously missed having my ass handed to me whenever I took a wrong turn. Yeah, it pisses me off massively at times, but having to actively track down bad guys to kill them just feels wrong.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: January 09, 2009, 08:28:06 AM

The UI is horrible and can't be configured at all.

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: January 09, 2009, 11:30:37 AM

After trying an elven lore-master and feeling very meh about it, I settled down on a hobbit burglar.  Burglar is definitely the most fun I've had in this game so far.

I really actually like the shire.  I don't mind there being 'too many' quests whatsoever.  I like the variety, and dare I say, serenity involved in the shire. 

However, I will say that the chicken quests got old fast. 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #118 on: January 09, 2009, 12:57:27 PM

Chicken quests have been tabled until I have gone to each region as a real player.

I really cannot recommend anyone start out with a loremaster.  I did and I was very MUH about this game until I tried something else.  I have not tried a burglar but I love the hunter, guardian and runekeeper.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: January 09, 2009, 01:03:23 PM

Chicken quests are good for a quick laugh, but if you're looking to get any lasting award, you have to do the most punishing chain of run-around quests every conceived of in an MMG. I don't exaggerate. And all you get in the end is a funky cloak anyway.

I started as a Loremaster, and loved it. The classes that left me feeling meh were the Champion (too Easy Button to be interesting) and the Burglar (takes five minutes to kill something blue to you).

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #120 on: January 09, 2009, 01:17:41 PM

After having gone up to at least 15ish with each class, Warden is by far my favorite, because charging someone while throwing javelins then shouting and jump-spearing them never, ever, ever gets old.  The thousandth time I did it, I thought 'wow, that's badass'.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #121 on: January 09, 2009, 01:45:17 PM

Chicken quests are good for a quick laugh, but if you're looking to get any lasting award, you have to do the most punishing chain of run-around quests every conceived of in an MMG. I don't exaggerate. And all you get in the end is a funky cloak anyway.

I started as a Loremaster, and loved it. The classes that left me feeling meh were the Champion (too Easy Button to be interesting) and the Burglar (takes five minutes to kill something blue to you).

You get an awesome chunk of destiny points as well - doing the first 2 or 3 is extremely useful for a boost (bonus XP 4tw!)

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #122 on: January 09, 2009, 02:41:07 PM

Re. UI

Is there any way to make the Group Vitals bar go in a horizontal direction?  As a Mins I really wish I could get my bars even more customized.  This is the first MMO where's I've played a healer as my main and I can really see the need to have a more customizable setup to be effective/survive.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #123 on: January 10, 2009, 06:35:33 AM

I agree with you, actually, but in my case I just don't do the CC classes well.  I don't care for them and they confuse me.  Definitely a group class... as far as LotRO has group classes.

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: February 11, 2009, 10:46:35 AM

I quit WoW a couple weeks ago and found myself itching for some kind of mmo replacement, so I went ahead and picked up LOTRO with the expansion. Having only played the beta back when I was still pretty into WoW, it seems better than I remember. Somehow more relaxing to play. And it's really wonderful to be a newbie again and not know what's over that next hill. Sampled some classes and think I'll be sticking with Warden.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #125 on: February 11, 2009, 12:26:57 PM

Brandywine?

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: February 11, 2009, 12:32:39 PM

Landroval  swamp poop
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: February 11, 2009, 12:39:16 PM

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: February 11, 2009, 01:35:51 PM

Yeah I only noticed this subforum today so I didn't know. You guys have something special going on there on Brandywine? I can always reroll.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #129 on: February 11, 2009, 02:40:21 PM

Yeah I only noticed this subforum today so I didn't know. You guys have something special going on there on Brandywine? I can always reroll.

A large kin with an extremely large range of members - its kinda the f13 default server right now.

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: February 11, 2009, 02:48:22 PM

Nice. My dude is only level 6 anyway, no loss. I'll look for somebody once I get situated.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: February 11, 2009, 05:42:25 PM

Well if anyone's around tonight I'll be on as Mossey.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: February 12, 2009, 06:41:07 AM

Not sure who, i was in a rush, but i added someone from f13 last night.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: February 12, 2009, 07:03:40 AM

That was me, Bravade the Captain, just added profile in Roll Call
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: February 12, 2009, 07:09:55 AM

Sweet, welcome aboard. Make sure to visit the Kinhouse, the stuff in the chests are for kin, take some, leave some, add some.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #135 on: February 12, 2009, 07:14:01 AM

Let us know if you need anything.  We have a couple high end crafters.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: February 12, 2009, 07:33:04 AM

Cheers, going to start working on my getting my Cook up tonight, I was a GM before the expansion...but really haven't delved into crafting again.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: February 15, 2009, 11:20:33 AM

The more I explore the world the more I appreciate it ... I really liked WoW's world but this feels even more like a real world and less like different themed zones in an amusement park. Clearly I didn't give LOTRO the chance it deserved when I played back in beta.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #138 on: February 15, 2009, 05:46:37 PM

Cheers, going to start working on my getting my Cook up tonight, I was a GM before the expansion...but really haven't delved into crafting again.

I am working on Weapon Crafting this evening (going scholar on my main, mini.  Already have max jeweler).  Marween is maxed on a bunch of crafting skills and loves it. 

Cook is EXTREMELY handy to have - food makes a HUGE difference and "me love you long time" if you can provide high end food.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #139 on: February 15, 2009, 08:34:23 PM

daily fish skill.  Cap. Gah.   swamp poop

Also, Social Titles you can grind with a friend --  5 times/day for 20 days (needs 100 emotes).

All titles (more or less) here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: This game is not WoW and people still seem to rather like it. Am I wrong?  
Jump to: