Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:35:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Kath & Kim 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kath & Kim  (Read 8299 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: December 10, 2008, 10:51:42 PM

I'm interested in getting a US perspective on either series - the Australian original, or the US remake. Anyone watch it? How were they received?

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 10:52:59 PM

People in America avoid watching fucking anything involving Molly Shannon. And I don't think you want the opinion of someone who wouldn't avoid Molly Shannon.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 04:11:02 AM

I watched it once because I was feeling too damn lazy to find where the kids had hidden the remote.   I won't be making the same mistake again, and Molly Shannon is only 1/5 of the reason for that.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 07:20:00 AM

Anybody else here too lazy to turn the channel between Earl and Offiice?

"Me am play gods"
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 07:26:24 AM

I actually go out of my way to watch this, I have it on the DVR.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I should download the original.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 10:50:37 AM

I only watched one episode but Absolutely Fabulous did this better.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 11:49:20 AM

Anybody else here too lazy to turn the channel between Earl and Offiice?

I start my DVR of The Office early since it tends to start a few minutes before it's supposed to.  This had led to watching the last minute or two of Kath and Kim a couple times.  Not funny at all.  Painfully not fun.

-Rasix
youdontknowme
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 01:04:51 PM

Yegolev,
Comparing this show to Ab Fab is like comparing you to Michael Phelps!  Yes, I know that you sink like a stone when you get in water which is what my spirit does when I watch Kath and Kim.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 07:00:41 PM

It was a funny choice to go to the US.  Kath and Kim is a very Australian show with a very Australian sense of humour, which I don't think would translate well at all in the US.  Dunno why they chose to run with it...
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 10:13:26 AM

AbsFab >> Australian Kath & Kim > Sanford & Son >>> Three's Company >> The Ropers >> Diverticulitis > American Kath & Kim

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 10:38:01 AM

Yegolev,
Comparing this show to Ab Fab is like comparing you to Michael Phelps!  Yes, I know that you sink like a stone when you get in water which is what my spirit does when I watch Kath and Kim.

It was a negative comparison, but I admit sidereal said it better.

I do not like water.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 03:31:45 AM

The US version tanked on Aussie TV. They had to bring back repeats of the Aussie version to heal the viewers.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 11:17:41 AM

In fact, watch this review: http://media.smh.com.au/?category=The%20Guide&rid=44509

The flaw I see is that the US Kath, Kim and Sharon are hot. They look too good. In the Aussie version, Kath and Kim are played by the show's creators/writers, who are both kinda hot, but they successfully pull off cluelessness about looking good. And Sharon is played by Magda Szubanski, also known as the farmer's wife from the piglet movie 'Babe'.

Gina Riley's Kim is fat around her waist and wears a midriff top, not realising that it's a really bad look. She goes for the "hint of g-string showing from jeans" look and it's never a hint, it's a fat arse. And she plays Kim's personality so it's equally awful. The combined effect is VERY funny on its own. The US version lacks that from the start.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:39:40 AM by Tale »
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 02:24:15 PM

Apparently these are the Aussie Kath and Kim?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 04:26:35 PM

If they are, they seem better looking than the US versions. Btw, anyone know a source in the US for the Aussie version? Hulu doesn't, but I wonder if there's another 'free flash movie' type dealio site that has it, or other shows that aren't very mainstream in the US.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 10:29:10 AM

I'm interested in getting a US perspective on either series - the Australian original, or the US remake. Anyone watch it? How were they received?

I was hooked on the original and you used to be able to watch it on cable until NBC cockblocked that.  I have watched maybe half an episode of the US version and it is total garbage (they immediately fucked it up by casting it all wrong), network TV is just way to PC to pull off half the stuff that is in the Aussie version.

If anyone is actually watching the US version I strongly recommend you just stop now and go get your hands on the Aussie version.

edit:  Ab Fab more or less just makes fun of messed up chicks, Kath & Kim is fun for the whole family.  The IT crowd blows em both away though.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 10:32:21 AM by Salamok »
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 10:54:34 AM

If they are, they seem better looking than the US versions. Btw, anyone know a source in the US for the Aussie version? Hulu doesn't, but I wonder if there's another 'free flash movie' type dealio site that has it, or other shows that aren't very mainstream in the US.

/cough
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 01:42:06 AM

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 06:02:17 AM

I don't really like Kath & Kim as a series - it has its clever moments, but I dislike the characters a lot. It is way too Australiana for me.

... didn't ever want to see "The Castle" either, which makes me some kind of weirdo, apparently.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 07:06:46 AM

That was freakin' awsome. Like The Office UK but with white trash Aussie housewives. I'm definately going to hunt this down in one form or another <cough>.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 03:10:33 AM

I don't really like Kath & Kim as a series - it has its clever moments, but I dislike the characters a lot. It is way too Australiana for me.

... didn't ever want to see "The Castle" either, which makes me some kind of weirdo, apparently.

No, I'm with you - also it's cringe comedy, too close to the awfulness of some real people around me. Blood relations, even.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 09:29:52 PM

now you know how most americans feel about our own sit coms :P

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Kath & Kim  
Jump to: