Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 11:11:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WUA: leet raider 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WUA: leet raider  (Read 15304 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

on: December 04, 2008, 04:38:12 PM

So I got invited to this casual no-kiddies-allowed "hey let's do some ten-man raids when we're all 80, that would be cool" guild a few days ago. The other night they decided to hit ZA with a group of average level maybe 74 or 75 wearing whatever they were leveling in Northrend with.

All I can say is that those levels and Northrend gear must count for a lot, because we actually managed to kill 3 bosses with hardly anyone having mods installed, practically no potions or anything, and the leader reading strategies out of a wiki into Ventrilo since no one had done it before.

I just did my usual DPS thing while not standing on bombs, won a roll on a disenchant, and got a purple thingy that sold for 6g on the AH. It's a really fun group of people, so I suppose at some point I'll be trying an actual raid with them.

So anyway, what's the best kind of sock for pooping in?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 05:46:59 PM

All the old TBC instances were super nerfed a month before WotLK, so it's even easier then it would have been thanks to all the level increases and new abilities and gear.

But most importantly:
I just did my usual DPS thing while not standing on bombs,
Congrats, you are already ahead of the fucking curve  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 08:43:33 PM

So I got invited to this casual no-kiddies-allowed "hey let's do some ten-man raids when we're all 80, that would be cool" guild a few days ago. The other night they decided to hit ZA with a group of average level maybe 74 or 75 wearing whatever they were leveling in Northrend with.

All I can say is that those levels and Northrend gear must count for a lot, because we actually managed to kill 3 bosses with hardly anyone having mods installed, practically no potions or anything, and the leader reading strategies out of a wiki into Ventrilo since no one had done it before.

I just did my usual DPS thing while not standing on bombs, won a roll on a disenchant, and got a purple thingy that sold for 6g on the AH. It's a really fun group of people, so I suppose at some point I'll be trying an actual raid with them.

You want something thick (like a work sock you'd wear on a cement factory floor) and preferably black.  That way, both the smell and the color are obscured for as long as possible.  Goldtoes could work here.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 11:31:08 PM

I prefer an empty coffee can.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 11:32:35 PM

But you have to get up and go get that coffee can.  If you start out your MMO experience wearing socks, you can just take them off and fill them with feces as needed.  It will save valuable seconds. 

Obviously, its smarter still to just start with an adult diaper, but I don't think that's caught on yet.     

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 11:41:15 PM

But you have to get up and go get that coffee can.  If you start out your MMO experience wearing socks, you can just take them off and fill them with feces as needed.  It will save valuable seconds. 

Obviously, its smarter still to just start with an adult diaper, but I don't think that's caught on yet.     

Or portable chemical toilets. Really, it's that level of preperation that seperates the uber achievers from the common scum.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 01:56:00 AM

Or portable chemical toilets. Really, it's that level of preperation that seperates the uber achievers from the common scum.

Yes. You fail at that. Chemical toilets need to be emptied. I moved a desk into the bathroom and ran a power cable through so I could just sit on the crapper and play.  Thinking about getting a USB controlled flushing device though so I don't have to turn around to flush.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 05:07:32 AM

What a charming conversation.  I bet you guys are real hits with the ladies.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 05:39:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr-FkWsvEcg

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 05:45:18 AM

All the old TBC instances were super nerfed a month before WotLK, so it's even easier then it would have been thanks to all the level increases and new abilities and gear.

But most importantly:
I just did my usual DPS thing while not standing on bombs,
Congrats, you are already ahead of the fucking curve  awesome, for real

So depressingly true.

Hay guys, did the ground you're on change color? You might want to FUCKING MOVE.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 05:51:53 AM

So depressingly true.

Hay guys, did the ground you're on change color? You might want to FUCKING MOVE.

But I have to finish this spel......
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 06:17:44 AM

Just do what I do, grab the laptop, a twelve-pack and camp out in the shitter.

No I don't do that. But I've threatened to do that.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 06:42:11 AM

I had forgot that video existed. Thank you.  awesome, for real

I don't need to poopsock.  I'd actually just get up and go to the washroom, go to the fridge for a beer.  Trick is, I played a Hunter.  Just leave auto attack on.  Also, I establish that I'm a shitty player right from the get go and people don't notice as much when I'm gone.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 06:58:14 AM by Special J »
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 08:14:52 AM

ZA is a fun instance if you ignore the Dragonhawk trash. It's also a very short run compared to Karazhan, which is ridiculously huge.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 08:17:01 AM

Hawk trash is extremely annoying, especially when you get people disconnecting and shit keeps respawning around you.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 08:41:50 AM

Raiding is made a lot easier by installing something like Deadly Boss Mods.

Standing in fire is bad.  Except for that one guy in Kara where standing in fire is good.

For info on how to spec, gem, and gear, you can't beat Elitist Jerks.  Well, you probably can, but it's a nicely centralized repository for all classes.

Use consumables on progression fights.  They are optional otherwise, but often still used to speed through content.

ZA was a fun instance.  Malacrass was probably the hardest fight in there.  In many ways, Zul'Jin was a reward for getting past him.  Except for Eagle Phase.  I used to hate Eagle Phase.  (Paladin healer, yeeeargh.)  Although, after 3.0, Malacrass was one of the easiest fights in there.  Just gathered up him and all his adds with the paladin tank, and AE'd everything.  It made me wonder if we couldn't have been doing that all along...
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 09:49:33 AM

Oh god. If anyone ever forgets how full of fail SOE is, there's that video to remind them in one easy step.

That and this.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 10:33:43 AM

those chicks are at least 5 beer ugly
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 11:08:08 AM

those chicks are at least 5 beer ugly

Lightweight.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 11:39:10 AM

ZA was a fun instance.  Malacrass was probably the hardest fight in there.  In many ways, Zul'Jin was a reward for getting past him.  Except for Eagle Phase.  I used to hate Eagle Phase.  (Paladin healer, yeeeargh.)  Although, after 3.0, Malacrass was one of the easiest fights in there.  Just gathered up him and all his adds with the paladin tank, and AE'd everything.  It made me wonder if we couldn't have been doing that all along...

I always hated Jan'alai personally, and he was probably the hardest post 3.0 as it was very easy for DPS to overshoot and wipe the raid with adds.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 12:29:18 PM

I always hated Jan'alai personally, and he was probably the hardest post 3.0 as it was very easy for DPS to overshoot and wipe the raid with adds.

You can totally duo him post 3.0 when the rest of the raid sucks and dies.  awesome, for real
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 12:43:25 PM

I've seen a pug clear to Illidian after 3.0 but before the Wrath launch.

Their first pull a rogue got one-shotted because he was eating while sitting between the tank and Illidan as they pulled.  awesome, for real
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 06:15:09 AM

Our guild is just now working on 10 man Naxx.  Is it just me or does it seem a bit heavy on the trash?  I've been on 2 runs this week and was not really having much fun either time.  The spider section was pretty simple and wasn't too bad (still pretty trashy,) but the rest was just aweful.

In comparison, the heroics and normal lvl 80 instances I've been doing seem way more rewarding AND fun.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 07:05:50 AM

Our guild is just now working on 10 man Naxx.  Is it just me or does it seem a bit heavy on the trash?  I've been on 2 runs this week and was not really having much fun either time.  The spider section was pretty simple and wasn't too bad (still pretty trashy,) but the rest was just aweful.

In comparison, the heroics and normal lvl 80 instances I've been doing seem way more rewarding AND fun.

The trash is actually extremely light. You should have seen the place in the 40 man version, it was ridiculous.

All in all, I'd say Naxx 10 man has less trash-to-boss ratio then Karazhan.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 07:12:19 AM

The trash is actually extremely light. You should have seen the place in the 40 man version, it was ridiculous.

Man, it didn't feel that way.  I'm going to have to do some research.  We must be doing something really wrong. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 09:01:25 AM

Man, it didn't feel that way.  I'm going to have to do some research.  We must be doing something really wrong. 

On average it's 3-5 trash packs give or take the boss. Patchwerk has the most with gluth having zero trash after grobbulus. At first I thought the achievment in ten man for killing maexxna 20min after anub rekhan was crazy but i actually managed to do it this weekend and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 12:09:20 PM

Is it just me, or does Anub'Rekhan seem overtuned? I tried tanking him with the little running away from locust swarm tactic and he was still too fast for me to get away even with an intervene on someone. Finally we just put the druid on him so he could sprint when he started casting. Compared to the ease of the two bosses after him, it just seemed off.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Gobbeldygook
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 12:16:52 PM

Suggestions:

-Find out which trash packs are skippable.  This is a matter of trial and error.

-Clear entire wings.  They frontload the trash.

-Chainpulling.  If you're just tanking it in the middle and AOEing it down, you really need one tank most of the time.  The second tank should be pulling the next pack while the first one is being blown up.  If the trash is tanked close or your tank is really bored, you can chain pull with one tank.

-moar dps.  We decided to take a bunch of scrubby guildies through the plague wing today.  Trash took a lot longer because they were just as bad now as they were at 70.  The shadow priest, death knight, and fire mage were all below me (the tank) and the ele shaman on the trash meters.

-Get people to stop failing at frogger and the pipe boss.  I believe I am the only person in my guild that hasn't died on frogger.

---
Paelos,

You don't avoid the swarms, you just minimize them.  If you just stand there and tank him he'll gib you every time, so you kite to keep the damage healable.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 04:14:24 AM

Is it just me, or does Anub'Rekhan seem overtuned? I tried tanking him with the little running away from locust swarm tactic and he was still too fast for me to get away even with an intervene on someone. Finally we just put the druid on him so he could sprint when he started casting. Compared to the ease of the two bosses after him, it just seemed off.

Have an Unholy DK with their runspeed Aura in the raid, or have a Hunter turn on aspect of the go fast after you intercept.  However; The range on both of them is smaller than the room, so they'll need to run in front of you to keep you in the aura, rather than dealing with the guardians. After you've repositioned Anub, they can work on the adds (and the hunter can turn off the aura.)

Learned this the hard way our first time in.. after 11 deaths.  awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 07:57:31 AM

Can you do 10-man Anub without a hunter or unholy DK? We're starting Naxx-10 day after tomorrow.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 09:11:39 AM

I was running 10 man.  If your tank has speed potions and downs one right before the first swarm, that should work.  Maybe.  I don't know if runspeed counts as your "one potion per battle."  Anub seems to run slightly faster than PCs do, which is why he catches even tanks that intercept a strategicly located player.  That swarm dot eats tanks fucking quick (as is intended, of course.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 10:15:26 AM

I was running 10 man.  If your tank has speed potions and downs one right before the first swarm, that should work.  Maybe.  I don't know if runspeed counts as your "one potion per battle."  Anub seems to run slightly faster than PCs do, which is why he catches even tanks that intercept a strategicly located player.  That swarm dot eats tanks fucking quick (as is intended, of course.)

Personally, I think it's busted, but people are finding workarounds. From what I remember in the 40 man version, his run speed went WAY down when he swarmed. Now, it doesn't even look like he's moving slower than usual. If i'm running at normal speed after an intervene and his buff is still catching me, I think it's a speed bug. Either the range on the swarm needs to be shorter, or he needs to move slower.

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 10:37:25 AM

We don't bother moving the tank at all.  Healers range the swarm, tank stands and takes it, everyone else bugs out to deal with the adds.  Both on 25 and 10 man.  Of course you should expect your tank to clear 30k health and be uncrittable, but that's a requirement for heroics much less Naxx. 

All that silly running around nonsense just complicated things.

Re: Trash -  Be sure you aren't in the Heroic version with 10 guys.  That makes the trash seem hard. 
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 12:04:27 PM

How geared are your healers, how many are you using and what comp?

We'll probably be druid-priest for our first run, maybe druid-priest-paladin. I'm debating whether to spec Disc or Holy, what's the AoE damage like for the entry-level bosses?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 12:58:11 PM

How geared are your healers, how many are you using and what comp?

We'll probably be druid-priest for our first run, maybe druid-priest-paladin. I'm debating whether to spec Disc or Holy, what's the AoE damage like for the entry-level bosses?

AE damage early on is fairly minor. Most of the damage comes from random adds and debuffs that can mostly be dispelled. What I wouldn't ever go in there without is a druid or shaman healer. They went completely over the top on the poisons, and they are the only ones who can dispell those.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WUA: leet raider  
Jump to: