Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:14:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Lord of the Rings Online: Legendary Weapons (good overview) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Online: Legendary Weapons (good overview)  (Read 23156 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: November 24, 2008, 12:06:23 PM

Weapons of remarkable power and memorable names are sprinkled all throughout the lore of The Lord of the Rings. They are legendary creations of such arcane might and design that tales of their greatness are spread across all the lands of Middle-Earth. Now the time has come when the players of The Lord of the Rings Online will be able to forge their very own legendary weapons to aid them in the adventure.  While initially these weapons will not seem so "Legendary" compared to the weapons in the same level range, they have remarkable potential and can be molded into the most impressive objects in the game. The abilities and strengths of a player's legendary weapon will depend significantly on the effort and time one puts into its development and the story built behind them. These Legendary items include the most extensive and detailed elements ever to be introduced into The Lord of the Rings Online. These elements experience a massive amount of ways in which they work together with each other. The components let the players to discover and make especially unique weapons that may never be matched in creation by another player.       

Now each class will be able to utilize two types of legendary weapons designated to ranged, main-hand, or class item slots within the inventory. All the classes will be able to use the main-hand legendary weapons. The hunters and wardens will have access to the ranged legendary weapons, and the other classes will have legendary items that will be slotted into a brand new class item spot. Of course it is safe to assume that these legendary items will in fact be player bound to each user and may not be sold or traded. The legendary items will contain specially colored borders and backgrounds so that they can stand out from the ordinary items that are in the game as well. There are also a few rules and limitations that will be in place to maintain balance, such as no duel wielding legendary weapons. The players that would prefer to use a two handed weapon will have additional stat modifiers that make up for the absence of an off-hand weapon. Legendary objects each have their own experience points, level system, and upgrade choices. Because of this, players have a limit of six legendary objects bound to them at a time. Along with the system Turbine has incorporated a new Legendary Item panel that will allow players to manage the points to rank up and slot the relics into different items. Each item will receive its very own color coordinated tab.         

Legendary items become locked automatically once it becomes bound to a player. The only way that in can be removed after this is by deconstructing the weapon. To start the process of deconstruction it must first be unequipped and unlocked by the user once taken to the appropriate relic master. These precautions were set to prevent accidental deletion of such items. Legendary objects (not weapons) are able to be traded between other players freely or placed for sale on the auction hall as long as they have not been bound. The items types are categorized into rare, incomparable, and epic quality. The quality of the item received will determine other characteristics of the system like legendary points earned, identification, and the items acquired after deconstruction. An epic item will obviously produce better quality relics than a rare object during the deconstruction process.

The experience received from mob kills and quest rewards is divided between all of the player's legendary items. The experience points are then multiplied by the number of legendary items a player has, so the more items results in a higher multiplier of experience. The total points gained together become higher combined then levelling them individually, one at a time, however, it takes longer to do this to advance each item rather than focusing on just one specific item. Inside the panel there are options to pick and choose which items to level for those that do wish to only level one item at a time. From levelling these items, players earn what is called Legend points that are for advancing legacy ranks for that object. With each rank up the magnitude of the bonus is increased that is associated with that legacy.

Upon discovery of a new legendary item a player must then proceed to travel to a forge master and have the weapon identified. The identification process will expose anywhere from two to four legacies for that particular item. Each class contains about thirty legacies that are divided between the two legendary types. The legacies each also have six different types of quality ranging from numbers one through six. During the identification process or re-forging is when players can choose to add legacies to that weapon. After identifying an item, a results window appears and will display players the discovered legacies on the weapon. The window then may be left up and updates itself with the item results from multiple item identification. Legacies can influence a broad range of attributes for a legendary item. They have the power to lengthen the effects of buffs or debuffs, reduce costs of abilities, and increase the damage output of certain attacks. The legacy tooltip panel will show the prospective ranks obtainable in that particular legacy. This lets the players plan out their strategy on spending points to create the most effective weapon based on their playing style and taste.

The legendary weapons must be re-forged every ten levels to unlock the next ten levels of progression. Each weapon has a max level of advancement, once reached, a player will have one final re-forge for that weapon. The weapon's max level is displayed within the legendary panel or the weapons tooltip section. During a weapon re-forge a player can carry out many different procedures. Players may rename their weapon, reset all spent legendary points, or manage the weapon's slotted relics. This allows players the comfort of knowing they may change the behavior of the legendary weapons without making permanent modifications. Upon reaching levels ten, thirty, and fifty a new random legacy will be added to the weapon. As the level increases, so does the possibility of achieving a higher quality random legacy. At levels twenty and forty an already existing legacy will have its attributes upgraded. In the situation where there might be no existing legacies to upgrade a random one will be acquired instead. At level fifty, the forge will provide a gold legacy to that item to reward the player's effort. The weapons damage type may also be altered with the use of item titles. Upon acquiring your first legendary weapon players will be able to choose a title and apply a damage type to the weapon. To earn additional titles players must participate in legendary item instances that are repeatable and provide excellent experience points for the weapon. Titles can influence damage types, add skill damage, and increase defensive attributes. The weapons do have limitations on which ones can receive certain titles; some are bound to class types and others only to certain weapons.

In contrast to normal weapons, legendary weapons do not become vendor garbage upon acquiring a new and better legendary weapon. The old and obsolete legendary weapons can be deconstructed into relics, legendary shards, and heritage runes for use with the new weapon. For those that are curious as to which relics are available in the game, you can find out from visiting a relic master NPC. Players may browse through the different tiers and see what is available and what each one does. I am going to point out to everyone to remember that if you slot a relic into a spot that already contains a relic that the new one will destroy the relic that was previously slotted. Re-forging the item is the only safe way to remove a relic from its slot within a weapon.

Acquiring these legendary weapons will be just like getting any other piece of gear. Any mob in Moria and some even outside will drop an entire range of legendary items. All activities from killing random mobs, questing, to raiding will provide legendary rewards to players or just simply bought from the auction hall. This unique system will generate a variety of potential to the game. Through all the hard work and effort in the end the most important thing to remember is that this weapon will be unique to each player and you will be able to feel connected to it because it is a product of your creation. Will every player be wielding the ultimate weapon? You make it, you decide.

Link

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:28:30 PM

That is some awesome plagarism:

http://www.lotro.com/news/256-feature-article-forging-legendary-items-part-1

Mob

It's not identical, but a lot of it is directly lifted from the lotro article on it.

edit:  and yes, I just reported the guy to mmorpg, but I doubt anything will be done. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:49:22 PM by Ard »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 12:35:33 PM

Oh dam.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 12:38:48 PM

The really sad part is he actually went to the effort to change a few words in his opening paragraph, but it still reads identical to the original article.  This is just depressing.  He probably got paid for that too. 

edit:  also reported him to turbine, that might actually have an effect, I hate plagiarism with the power of a thousand burning sharks
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 12:48:45 PM by Ard »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 12:43:18 PM

epix fail

someone cue Schild-rage on this gaming plagiarism
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 02:39:47 PM

And it's yanked.  Go team.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 11:37:55 AM

I want a legendary weapon.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 11:53:25 AM

I want a legendary weapon.

I'll settle for a legendary pocket item  awesome, for real
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 08:44:50 AM

Not sure what to think about the Legendary weapon system - in a nutshell it is too fuckin' random.

I heard that "you weapon will grow with you" and though it sounded sweet.  However, it may grow with you, but the random nature of the upgrades is disappointing and you will find that you will have many legendary weapons  that grow with you.  You will be constantly looking on auction for items with better legacies, or optimal legacies for your build.  You can't even tell by that which legacies are going to become available to you as it levels (although you do have a bit of a choice).  In addition, you might find what legacies you were looking for, but the legacies themselves will be low-tiered. 

From the LOTRO forums it sounds like it only gets worse.  You might defeat a difficult encounter or raid encounter and then get lucky enough to roll and win a 1st Age legendary weapon (1st age>2nd age>3rd age) only to find out your 3rd age weapon had much better legacies and is actually a much better weapon (which you could by off the AH for 50 silver).   

I dunno, it is interesting browsing and hundreds of "legendary" weapons on the AH and levelling what appear to be good weapons - but there just seems to be a bit of design flaw to the system.  This is my first impression of it anyway. Just a little too random.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:53:27 AM by Bandit »
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 10:28:35 AM

(1st age>2nd age>3rd age)

Fixed that.

I'm now about 57 1/2. Being a non-raider, I've only found one SA item (fortunately, it was for my class) and no FA. I've cycled through dozens of TA items - enough that I've built up three Tier 5 relics the hard way, by combining hundreds of lower-tier items.

I'm still using the staff (Tier 5 Burning Ember damage buff) and book (Tier 5 target fire resist debuff) I got when I opened Moria. Even that SA staff is pretty lame compared to that - it offers Tier 5 bonus damage to March of the Ents and Tier 4 bonus damage to Light of the Rising Dawn. I do use those in many/every fight (respectively), but Burning Embers is a bread-and-butter skill I use 5-15 times against every opponent. Unless the Ents/Dawn bonus damage is huuuuge, why would I choose them over an Embers buff? From a strict DPS perspective, it's a bad trade.

That's part of the problem. There's no incentive to choose something aside from bread-and-butter buffs, because the bonuses to slower-cycling skills don't scale proportionately.

The other problem is that there are too many "trash" legacies. Increase the range of Cracked Earth? Decrease the time to summon a pet? Who gives a shit? If you want to add piddly stuff like that, attach them to relics, so players can choose them. The stuff on the items should focus on the bread-and-butter powers and abilities of each class.

I know, I know. It's designed to be a grind. It's working as designed, but it sucks all the epic out of it. It's hard to view it as something other than a system to game. You expect to cycle through dozens or hundreds of useless items, which in the end don't feel legendary at all. It's extremely unlikely you'll level any particular item past 11, at which point you'll melt down Narsil/Sting to try to get something better.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 10:30:58 AM

The randomness is addictive.  Plus, the slotting mechanism is nice.  I load up on legendaries, level them to 10, and nuke them for gems.  Its nice to constantly have DING GRATS as my weapons go up!!!   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 11:02:25 AM

It's ok, just really a grind mechanic (coming from a guy who obsessively grinds deeds).  I am not going anywhere or pulling nerd-rage on it - just disappointing.  My weapon in my mind does not feel legendary. The grind should centre around at least grinding the gems or something instead of the weapon itself.  Don't you think there is something wrong with seeing hundreds of "legendary" weapons on AH and just trashing them? 

Why go through that epic quest to get your legendary weapon to defeat the monster lurking outside of Moria - travelling back and forth between Thorin's hall and Moria...when I could have defeated it with a 50s item off the broker?  It's more of a design thing I guess that irks me and the randomness of it.

Turbine has been pretty good with weaving lore into the game, I think they failed in this case.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 11:41:35 AM

The first thing I say to someone about to start on Legendary Items is to erase the Legendary part from your brain.  I consider them temporary weapons at best, and more often than not the are simply a resource.  Until you hit level 60 and start looking at the level 60 items there's no reason to agonize over finding the perfect legacies on your items.  Find ones that don't completely suck and then level them to 11 or 21, deconstruct them, and then find new ones that don't suck.  Especially with the weapons you're going to be constantly upgrading to higher level Legendaries for the better DPS anyways.  Once you hit level 60 then you can start trying to find those perfect level 59/60 items (good luck with that).

Hopefully Book 7 will see the system improved a bit.  I know they're definitely going to make it so First Age items have a minimum Tier Level on its Legacies.  That will at least help with getting a First Age item only to ID it and find it's worse than your Third Age item.

most often known as Drevik
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 02:23:27 PM

The first thing I say to someone about to start on Legendary Items is to erase the Legendary part from your brain.

The irony is, this is decent progress toward someone actually making my dream crafting system, where you can tailor items toward your personal playstyle. If they hadn't invoked Sting, Narsil, and Glamdring from the first blush, I wouldn't have minded that at all.

My big exceptions are still with trash legacies and poor scaling between the buffs for "powers I can use every 5-10 seconds" and "powers I can use once every 5-10 minutes."

- Henry Cobb
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 03:46:56 PM

Yeah, it's not a bad system for a first pass (just poorly named).  If they're willing to keep tweaking it based on feedback and removing some of the suck then I think it will end up being pretty nice.  I understand it needs to be a little grindy, but hopefully they'll make some compromises in the next big patch.

most often known as Drevik
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 10:28:20 AM

Book 7: Theoretically some of the "useless" legacies are going to be removed/modified...and some of the "less desired" legacies are going to be changed.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 12:16:52 AM

Hey, i might have missed this in all the info, but are the Legendaries restricted to only weapons, or can one aquire armour and shields as well?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 03:19:41 AM

I thought the point of legendary items was that they level up with you not that you scrap it so you get a better one later.  I like the idea and hope they tweak it, but right now legendaries are a bit of  a disappointment.  They should buff core class abilities, not skills that are on a 15min timer or offer a lame buff.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 04:23:09 AM

Hey, i might have missed this in all the info, but are the Legendaries restricted to only weapons, or can one aquire armour and shields as well?

Main hand weapons + a special class item only.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 04:06:36 AM

I have my two main legendaries that I use all the time and then I have a third that I level along with them because it makes it better when you break it up for relics.  The rest I just break up for relics immediately unless they're something special in which case they go on the AH.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 06:38:26 AM

I was extremely lucky with my Lore-Master's Legendaries. The book I got for unlocking Moria had Fire Resist Debuff and Fire Crit Buff, and very early on I found an SA Staff with a passel of great DPS legacies.

I've used these from 50 up to 65, because I've never seen anything better than them. Even in Mirkwood, where the Legendaries are theoretically more awesome.

Every other Legendary I've received, I've leveled to 11 (21 if I'm feeling saucy) and broken down for Relics. Usually I level two at once. Even with that level of churn, I've only managed to glom together two level 7 Relics in the past year. It's a terrible, terrible grind.

You need 5 Legendary Shards for each crafted Legendary, by the bye.

- Henry Cobb
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 08:53:40 AM

I would like to ask about LOTR. I am almost level 56 now. I have probably 3 level 53 legendary items and 10-12 level 55 or 56 sitting in my vault. Not to mention I have 12 tools for bartering so in theory I have 12 more legendary weapons. They are all third age weapons, as I have yet to find any second or first age weapons. I have a 55 bow and 55 axe that I am leveling up.
So here is my question, what is everyone doing with their legendary items. Do I break each one down and get one tier 1 relic, do I power each one up to 10 then break them down. This would take forever and would never end. Obviously finding items are not scarce. Now finding a 1st or second age that is rare. so what is everyone doing with all their 53-56 items?

Level 11 nets you most bang for your buck.  Note that skirmishes are an easy way to level items; one run at your level will net you a 60k XP boost thingamajig.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 09:32:50 AM

They also get a lot easier to level at around 60 due to the hunting quests out of Esteldin.  Those let you level them up stupidly fast as well.  There are also the old mirror quests lying around inside Moria that give a largish amount of LI xp, but take a lot more time than the hunting quests.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Lord of the Rings Online: Legendary Weapons (good overview)  
Jump to: