Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 10:34:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116180 times)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #3710 on: May 31, 2015, 07:55:55 PM

That escalated quickly.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3711 on: May 31, 2015, 08:17:06 PM

As soon as Jon hit Hardhome I said to my wife, "looks like this is the entire last half hour" pretty spot-on.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3712 on: May 31, 2015, 09:33:01 PM

Definitely needed a steam-powered Gran Torino with helicopter blades on it.  Still awesome though.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #3713 on: June 01, 2015, 02:49:09 AM

Friendzone just can't catch a break. I swear I'd pay to watch him play Job almost as much as I would to watch the traveling experiences of Arya and the Hound

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3714 on: June 01, 2015, 03:21:12 AM

Just when I thought GoT was losing steam, they pull this out.  It kept going and I kept thinking "How much did this cost?"

Very well done.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #3715 on: June 01, 2015, 03:39:08 AM

Agreed, it redeems the whole season. In fact I couldn't fault the entire episode.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3716 on: June 01, 2015, 05:04:30 AM

Agreed, it redeems the whole season. In fact I couldn't fault the entire episode.

But it had zero boobs!

tongue

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #3717 on: June 01, 2015, 06:33:45 AM

Gotta give it a couple of points for Sansa actually having something good happen to her for once.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #3718 on: June 01, 2015, 06:41:31 AM

I wasn't too impressed, at least not up to the reaction it's getting... I mean it was great to see a high budget scene for TV, but I didn't like the shaky cam and quick action cuts. Maybe they had to do that to save money but it was pretty jarring.

Also some stuff didn't make sense like at one point skeletons seem to have an access way into the great hall and are pouring in against the people and giant in there but only a dozen or so do make it, chase the giant out, then they stop (conveniently leaving the place clear for Jon's fight). Also at some points the guys defending the palisade seem to be overwhelmed with skeletons pouring in over the top and various holes but then the next minute they are fine. Then finally the whole army of them jumping off the cliff didn't make sense, they woulda been smashed to pieces on the fall. We've already seen arrows, swords and axes bring down these reanimated skeletons with kinetic damage, but the impact of a 200 foot fall doesn't?

Again, good to see well done, high budget effects but I think weak writing and direction detracted from it.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3719 on: June 01, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

I suppose you could argue that chopping limbs or heads off zombies disables them but falling keeps their bodies intact but yeah, that doesn't make much sense, given that it would pulverize their bones and muscles. Animate sacks of goo aren't very fearsome warriors. Maybe the White Walkers cast a feather fall spell.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3720 on: June 01, 2015, 07:01:13 AM

Complaining that the unnatural don't follow natural laws naturally is kinda, well, unnatural.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3721 on: June 01, 2015, 07:22:25 AM

My only complaint about Hardhome is that, again, things are timed to coincide for dramatic convenience down to the second, just like the Jamie/snakes collision in the water gardens.  Unless Jon showing up was what precipitated the walker attack, but there was no indication of that -- it just seemed like really fortunate/unfortunate timing that they showed up the very instant Jon was starting the evacuation.  It's the sort of thing that happens in a dumb action movie.

There are worse things to be than a dumb action movie, I guess.  Overall a fun episode.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #3722 on: June 01, 2015, 07:31:52 AM

Because its a fucking TV show and you know having him turn up 2 days before would be really boring? Sorry but that just seems like a dumb fucking thing to complain about.

The conversation between Tyrion and Daenerys was darn good.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3723 on: June 01, 2015, 07:44:31 AM

bring down these reanimated skeletons with kinetic damage, but the impact of a 200 foot fall doesn't?

Slammed right into the past there.  Headfirst into my DM days.

"No, you can't fall that far with platemail on.  You're a puddle.  I don't care what your frigging DR is."

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #3724 on: June 01, 2015, 07:48:58 AM

The Hardhome fight was a spectacle and Tyrion keeps on being entertaining (especially the dialogue). Otherwise the story seems to be becoming stale (in my opinion) despite/due to too many storylines that just don't interest me for some reason.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3725 on: June 01, 2015, 07:51:51 AM

Based on their previous jumping prowess, you might expect them to leap at John's boat.   Yah, there were a lot of convenient action movie-isms in those scenes.  I liked the White Walker deciding to go non-lethal against Jon when the seemingly just go for the kill on everyone else.

It did the job.  Onward.  I liked most of what they did with the rest of the episode.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:53:29 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3726 on: June 01, 2015, 08:44:39 AM

Well, I also thought the Night's King was going to freeze the waters or something--or do the ye olde Pirates of the Caribbean march across the bottom of the sea trick.

I can see it making sense to have the Walkers head for Hardhome pronto with the immiment arrival of a Stark/Targaryen--they may well have some kind of mystic alert system about the few remaining real threats they might face, and there's plenty of indications that the Starks alone may have some special role in the keeping of the North. (Isn't the 411 on the King himself that he's a Stark?). Bran, after all, is hooked up to his magic tree by now.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #3727 on: June 01, 2015, 03:03:16 PM

There seems to have been much ado made about how Jon killed the White Walker with his sword, which wasn't dragon glass.  I couldn't tell if they were trying to say that his sword was special (they certainly focused on it for several shots, with the wolf head handle, right before the battle), or if it was something about Jon himself.  The King certainly spent most of the battle staring at him.

I haven't read the books, so perhaps there's some known-backstory that I'm missing.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #3728 on: June 01, 2015, 03:23:06 PM

Valyrian steel, forged in Dragon fire (like the Dragon Glass). In the books, it's supposed to appear irridescent.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3729 on: June 01, 2015, 03:47:06 PM

Valryian steel is basically the equivalent of mithril in terms of how rare/important it is.  I liked the line Tyrion had about how the old Valyrians were "the best at everything".  Standard fantasy "ancient civilization that made really cool irreplaceable shit" trope.

Other Valyrian steel weapons mentioned on the show besides Jon's sword Longclaw: the unnamed dagger that was used to attack Bran (the one Tyrion had won in a bet), and Ned's sword Ice (which was reforged into Joffrey's sword Widow's Wail, and Brienne's sword Oathkeeper).  I can't remember if we know what happened to Joffrey's sword after his death.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3730 on: June 01, 2015, 04:45:20 PM

Yeah, they set that up very very poorly in the show. You've gotten almost none of the backstory on the Valyrians and the special qualities of their steel.

Hell, the best they could do to set things for this episode was replay the single clip where it's mentioned when Jon's given Longclaw in the "previously on" intro.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3731 on: June 01, 2015, 04:47:15 PM

I think Samwell mentioned his father owned one also.  They are rare enough that not many people have them, but common enough that Tywin felt his family were the only major house without one.

I am the .00000001428%
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3732 on: June 01, 2015, 05:01:15 PM

Yeah, they set that up very very poorly in the show. You've gotten almost none of the backstory on the Valyrians and the special qualities of their steel.

Hell, the best they could do to set things for this episode was replay the single clip where it's mentioned when Jon's given Longclaw in the "previously on" intro.

In fairness, Jon looks utterly shocked when his sword doesn't shatter. I think that is intended to imply that even most people in the world don't understand how special Valyrian steel is.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #3733 on: June 01, 2015, 05:30:55 PM

Game of Thrones: Wrath of the Lich King.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3734 on: June 01, 2015, 05:32:54 PM

Actually the show has told us more in a funny kind of way about the Doom that took Valyria than the books really have, due to that one scene with Friendzone and Tyrion. I think once you grasp that Valyria was in the hottest part of Essos and it was destroyed by a Volcano, you begin to wonder if that isn't the Fire equivalent of the White Walkers--so many Dragons, so much Fire, so much magic, that it did as much damage to Valyria as the Walkers might do to Westeros. So Jon's sword doing that kind of damage makes sense not just because it's a really strong blade, but because it's one of the last things that the most Fire-oriented civilization made.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3735 on: June 01, 2015, 06:05:57 PM

In fairness, Jon looks utterly shocked when his sword doesn't shatter. I think that is intended to imply that even most people in the world don't understand how special Valyrian steel is.

Hell, the damn white walker looks utterly shocked when the sword doesn't shatter.

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3736 on: June 01, 2015, 06:38:15 PM

I dunno, his reaction left me a little cold.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3737 on: June 01, 2015, 07:28:01 PM

That was an awesome fucking episode, better than anything all season. The Hardhome battle scene alone was better than the Battle of Blackwater Bay. After this and the siege of the Wall last season, it appears they really know how to use their budget wisely on the big battle scenes.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3738 on: June 01, 2015, 07:35:19 PM

Amen.  They turned the White Walkers from a joke into a fucking terrifying force in twenty minutes.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3739 on: June 01, 2015, 08:36:27 PM

From the books, owning a Valyrian steel weapon is a huge mark of prestige.  But they're a symbol that cannot be bought, and that frustrated Tywin to no end because for all their gold, they still couldn't get a hold of one.  Claiming Ice was both a huge victory for Lanister and a giant poke in the eye for Stark.

While they're considered exceptional weapons in their own right, no one really considers them more than a status symbol.  People don't much believe in magic though, because its most obvious signs had faded from the world.  The White Walkers were just a story to frighten children into behaving.  The people have forgotten, much less that all those blades probably formed the bulwark of the defense against the last incursion.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #3740 on: June 01, 2015, 09:39:12 PM

Actually the show has told us more in a funny kind of way about the Doom that took Valyria than the books really have, due to that one scene with Friendzone and Tyrion. I think once you grasp that Valyria was in the hottest part of Essos and it was destroyed by a Volcano, you begin to wonder if that isn't the Fire equivalent of the White Walkers--so many Dragons, so much Fire, so much magic, that it did as much damage to Valyria as the Walkers might do to Westeros. So Jon's sword doing that kind of damage makes sense not just because it's a really strong blade, but because it's one of the last things that the most Fire-oriented civilization made.

Spoilered for meming with intent

--Signature Unclear
schild
Administrator

Reply #3741 on: June 01, 2015, 10:30:59 PM

Show went from 5/7ths being terrible to only 4/7ths. Good job db weiss. Lucky Wander Boy continues to be his best work.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #3742 on: June 02, 2015, 07:24:52 AM

There seems to have been much ado made about how Jon killed the White Walker with his sword, which wasn't dragon glass.  I couldn't tell if they were trying to say that his sword was special (they certainly focused on it for several shots, with the wolf head handle, right before the battle), or if it was something about Jon himself.  The King certainly spent most of the battle staring at him.

I haven't read the books, so perhaps there's some known-backstory that I'm missing.

His sword is valaryian steel aka dragon steel. Originally forged in old valaryia with some rumors of needing dragons to do the initial forging so like dragon glass it is effective vs white walkers. unfortunately the art of forging such weapons is lost and about the best anybody can do is reforge existing weapons into other weapons.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3743 on: June 02, 2015, 11:15:23 AM

To be fair to the smithies, it is really hard to forge a sword with dragon breath when there hadn't been any dragons around for a while.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3744 on: June 02, 2015, 11:32:49 AM

To be fair to the smithies, it is really hard to forge a sword with dragon breath when there hadn't been any dragons around for a while.

Quitters.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: