Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:43:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116163 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3465 on: April 27, 2015, 02:13:01 PM

I don't think Littlefinger has any intention of going south for a while, and that without Tywin to rein her in, Cersei will be her own undoing.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3466 on: April 27, 2015, 02:54:01 PM

I'm not so sure about that. Cersei wields power like a hammer not a scalpel but  I see her angling to get the Sparrows in her pocket as a hedge against 'that smirking whore from High Garden' trying to push her out.  Cersei can 'get religion', get the support of the population and strike back to 'save' the King from smirkface. 
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3467 on: April 27, 2015, 03:19:03 PM

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how Cersei's attempt to manipulate the Sparrows plays out.

why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3468 on: April 27, 2015, 03:25:10 PM

She's going to be asking for the license plate of that Lexus when this is all done and over with.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #3469 on: April 27, 2015, 03:27:35 PM

I'm willing to bet having Littlefinger standing over the ashes of Westeros at the end would be GRRM's ideal result. He's always struck me as the epitome of the person who plays the 'Game of Thrones'

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3470 on: April 27, 2015, 03:44:12 PM

I've always considered Littlefinger and Varys to be the two best at it; one playing for himself, and the other for "the greater good."

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3471 on: April 27, 2015, 03:44:28 PM

Having him sit on the throne smiling over a dead kingdom as the white walkers come marching into the throne room to finish him off would be just about the perfect ending.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3472 on: April 27, 2015, 04:12:13 PM

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing how Cersei's attempt to manipulate the Sparrows plays out.

why so serious?

This is something I didn't like this week. Throughout the TV show they've made a big deal how utterly horrified Cersei is at the thought of contact with people outside the keep, now to talk to Jonathan Pryce she's willing to roll in the dirt with the Sparrows.

And while I'm at it - not sure what was going on at the wall, not sure Janos Slynt would have played out so quick or with such hideously melodramatic music in any prior season.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3473 on: April 27, 2015, 05:08:06 PM

Cersei is running out of resources, so she went to the Sparrows to try to add more power to her resource pool.  It was a strategic move where she assumed she could find a puppet that was easy to manipulate that had a lot of loyal subjects...

As for Slynt - that was not a sudden change.  It was inevitable.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3474 on: April 27, 2015, 06:41:40 PM

Keep in mind that if one model is the Wars of the Roses/Hundred Years War, the people who won were basically jonny-come-latelys who waited for all the assholes to exhaust themselves--it might look like the Tudors won, I suppose, but it was a pretty brief victory, all told.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #3475 on: April 27, 2015, 06:46:12 PM

Oh man, Littlefinger ending up on Team Dany (maybe trying to position himself as Warden of the North under Targaryen rule) would be amazeballs.  It would actually fit really well with the distance he's suddenly put between himself and the Lannisters.

My gut tells me he won't live long enough to see Dany on the throne... but I realize I don't have anything to back up my vague feeling that he's not as smart as he thinks he is and his hubris will be his undoing.  Have any of his devious schemes ever completely fallen through?  He might in fact be as smart as he thinks.

thx bro, thats the plan.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3476 on: April 27, 2015, 06:54:21 PM

Cersei is running out of resources, so she went to the Sparrows to try to add more power to her resource pool.  It was a strategic move where she assumed she could find a puppet that was easy to manipulate that had a lot of loyal subjects...

As for Slynt - that was not a sudden change.  It was inevitable.

Yeah, Slynt could have been presented better this season but his fate was inevitable the moment that he told the Lord Commander to fuck himself with his orders.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:03:59 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3477 on: April 27, 2015, 08:30:21 PM

Slynt had to go, i don't think he begged in the books but it made more sense this way.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3478 on: April 27, 2015, 09:08:45 PM

Slynt was an utter dumbass for thinking Jon wouldn't leap at the fucking chance to take his head off.

I really liked Alliser's face during that scene.  "Your stock is rising, Lord Snow."

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3479 on: April 27, 2015, 09:44:38 PM

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3480 on: April 28, 2015, 12:41:43 AM

Slynt had to go, i don't think he begged in the books but it made more sense this way.

He did beg, and Jon had the same dilemma, and even the same nod to Stannis.

The difference in the books was that Slynt wasn't immediately so ham-fisted in his defiance and as such it it didn't happen so quick. Jon was able to give Slynt a chance to ride by sundown or something.

No issue with how the actors played it (especially Thorne), just the abridged script and the way it was shot.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:43:36 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #3481 on: April 28, 2015, 09:39:48 AM

Slynt was an utter dumbass for thinking Jon wouldn't leap at the fucking chance to take his head off.

I really liked Alliser's face during that scene.  "Your stock is rising, Lord Snow."

I liked the scene a lot, I've forgotten most of the book details aside from main events (by 4-5 it had gotten kind of tedious and I was just power reading through it), so I didn't remember what he did with Alliser, so the latrine captain thing could have gone either way for me, not sure if he was going to humiliate him or not. Good directing through each part of the scene, the looks exchanged during the latrine part,, and the relief/satisfaction on Alliser when he was made ranger captain, then on Slynt's turn, Slynt thinking he's got Alliser behind him for a coup, but Alliser, having his honour satisfied with his Snow's praise & promotion, looking at Slynt just like nahhhh.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:57:13 AM by Speedy Cerviche »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3482 on: May 03, 2015, 07:50:07 PM

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3483 on: May 03, 2015, 08:12:52 PM

Yeah.  About your last point. You wish.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3484 on: May 03, 2015, 08:13:41 PM

Yeah.  About your last point. You wish.

A boy can dream!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3485 on: May 03, 2015, 08:21:49 PM

I liked the contrasting stories of Rhaegar they fit in.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3486 on: May 03, 2015, 10:41:01 PM

I'd love it if they did a flashback sequence with him and/or Lyanna in it, like how we had the young Cersei flashback at the start of the season.  We hear about these characters a lot but have still never seen their faces.  Doesn't matter as much in the books but in an otherwise visual story it's weird to have such important characters remain completely expository.

Was really annoyed by the last scene of tonight's episode.  DID THEY DIED?  TUNE IN NEXT WEEK!

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3487 on: May 04, 2015, 12:42:35 AM

I wonder if they plan something later on - Charles Dance seemed to be implying he had shot more than one dead body scene.j

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #3488 on: May 04, 2015, 02:29:09 AM

I wonder if they plan something later on - Charles Dance seemed to be implying he had shot more than one dead body scene.j

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3489 on: May 04, 2015, 07:29:42 AM

No,  I mean he implied he had shot flashbacks, not multiple dead body scenes.

I don't remember if it was a quote or a hack over interpreting a thing.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #3490 on: May 04, 2015, 09:56:30 AM

Ah ok. Tourney at Harrenhal would seem like a strong candidate for a flashback at this point.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3491 on: May 04, 2015, 09:56:33 AM

This was the first episode where I felt they might have compressed the stories a little TOO much. This season seems to be going at breakneck speed. Perhaps it's because I know some of the plot points from the book (which admittedly took too MUCH time to get through) and these seem to be moving along really swiftly like they just want to be done with the book's events and get on to their own. Not a big fan of the possible deaths they dropped on us right at the end.

Want more Sand Snakes plzkthx.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3492 on: May 04, 2015, 10:52:49 AM

Did anyone else notice how Bronn has become a font of wise fatherly advice?  It's kind of awesome.   awesome, for real

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3493 on: May 04, 2015, 12:29:46 PM

This was the first episode where I felt they might have compressed the stories a little TOO much. This season seems to be going at breakneck speed. Perhaps it's because I know some of the plot points from the book (which admittedly took too MUCH time to get through) and these seem to be moving along really swiftly like they just want to be done with the book's events and get on to their own. Not a big fan of the possible deaths they dropped on us right at the end.

Want more Sand Snakes plzkthx.

Those characters don't serve much more purpose that we know of, so I can see 'em going away. Would be a big change, though.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3494 on: May 04, 2015, 12:32:21 PM

Wait, didn't those two maybe dead characters

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3495 on: May 04, 2015, 12:46:00 PM

I need to reread the last book because I don't remember any of that.  Probably because I read the entire book in one sleep-deprived night.   ACK!  Last thing I remember in Mereen was Dany taking off.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3496 on: May 04, 2015, 12:47:26 PM

It was after that.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3497 on: May 04, 2015, 01:35:01 PM

Hamish, you're correct. However, none of the events to set it up have happened, which they should have been during all of this. So far it looks like that whole thread might just have been abandoned.

There's been no hint of

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3498 on: May 04, 2015, 04:10:22 PM

I didn't like much of that.

Except the wall, the wall was fine. Actually Dorne was also ok once you ignore the premise of Jamie's complete disregard for all his prior opinions and character traits.

The ending felt particularly unearned. Everyone died, or our heroes survived. Neither seems very Game of Thrones.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3499 on: May 04, 2015, 05:00:38 PM

In regards to Mareen:

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: