Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:01:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116155 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3430 on: April 19, 2015, 10:19:10 PM

Honestly, I didn't notice at the time but after thinking back on the episode during their little "behind the scenes" bit (which I am kinda annoyed about the adding to the HBOGo streams, I liked not having the "previously" and "next time" kind of things before) I realized it and felt it worth commenting about here.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3431 on: April 20, 2015, 08:51:11 AM

I really hope Dany is out of Mereen well before the end of the season. An entire season there is going to be agonizingly slow.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #3432 on: April 20, 2015, 03:11:57 PM

hopefully they spend a lot of her time down there in dragon taming montages as she goes about retaming/retraining her children cause pouty bad ruler danny for a whole season would be kinda annoying. That said she needs to learn how not to lead to teach her how to do it right and thats pretty much what the whole thing in the south is practice for the challenge of leading the 7 kingdoms.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3433 on: April 21, 2015, 09:11:58 AM

The events at the end of book 5 I assume are coming this season, but based on how fast they are moving along, I have no idea if they'll be end of season or middle. I'm not sure how I feel about Sansa's arc yet (though it does make a lot of sense). Jamie going to Dorne, though? If it brings Bronn back into the limelight, I'm down.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3434 on: April 21, 2015, 09:42:10 AM

Well, there's a lot of room for divergence from the books with Jaime going to Dorne, Brianne and Pod knowing about both Stark girls, and whatever is happening with Baelish and Sansa.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3435 on: April 21, 2015, 10:44:46 AM

I'm thinking that the whole situation of the North is going to combine fifth book and whatever Martin had planned for the sixth--that's probably the Littlefinger/Sansa plotline, in part.

It is interesting that Brienne knows that both Arya and Sansa are alive--in the books, I don't think anyone in Westeros knows about Arya, for example. Could almost make for an interesting way to introduce  at a very different moment in the story, if they choose, giving her a very different motivation.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #3436 on: April 21, 2015, 07:13:50 PM

I'm kind of surprised that we haven't seen  yet, but I'm really enjoying the fact that I can't even remember what is and isn't book consistent any more. Pretty big divergence with the character reveal at the end of this episode though.  I suspect one of the big season enders on this one will be
We'll see.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3437 on: April 21, 2015, 08:40:07 PM

I wish they would.  While things were implied, it'd be nice if he was skilled enough to have escaped.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3438 on: April 21, 2015, 08:41:24 PM

I suspect one of the big season enders on this one will be We'll see.
If that's the big reveal, it means
I'll try to contain my excitement. Ohhhhh, I see.

I feel like it was pretty obvious he was intended to survive. Martin doesn't kill people offscreen.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3439 on: April 21, 2015, 08:44:09 PM

If we get only one season of Mereen you should consider yourself lucky.

I am the .00000001428%
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3440 on: April 22, 2015, 04:18:25 AM

I really like some of the traveling match ups.  Hope to see a bit more of Essos and bits of it's land and culture.  Excited to see Dorne, the forgotten kingdom of the Seven.  Braavos has been nicely added while Pentos is still a garden and balcony.  The Mereen storyline is dragging, but I guess the point is to train Dany to rule.

I miss Ser Friendzone.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #3441 on: April 22, 2015, 05:21:32 AM

I miss Ser Friendzone.

Trust me you won't
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3442 on: April 22, 2015, 06:25:47 AM

Dorne was one thing I didn't see as divergence, there is no Arianne on TV and that was her scene with a different character.

Thought the wall was great again. Was worried the election wouldn't work without the back and forth but it covered everything it needed to, also liked the bit with Selenye, all good.

But Varys still doesn't sit right with me.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3443 on: April 22, 2015, 03:06:18 PM

If we get only one season of Mereen you should consider yourself lucky.
She wasn't there last season? I haven't watched in a season or two; only started back up because we're passing the books.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3444 on: April 22, 2015, 03:10:32 PM

Nothing has gone past the books yet, the Wall has only just finished up Storm.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3445 on: April 22, 2015, 03:14:26 PM

Maybe not in Episode 2...

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3446 on: April 22, 2015, 07:00:26 PM

Nothing has gone past the books yet, the Wall has only just finished up Storm.

Sansa and Littlefinger are past the books, unequivocally.

Jaime is...not so much past the books as doing something different than the books. Same for Varys and Tyrion.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3447 on: April 22, 2015, 07:19:46 PM

Seems like 80% of the Kings Landing crew is all off the book rails.  Only the Tyrells and Cersi's stories seem to matter there.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #3448 on: April 26, 2015, 08:04:04 PM

First really good episode of the season. 

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3449 on: April 26, 2015, 08:10:52 PM

It's not that big a divergence other than ...

I agree it was a great episode, though.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #3450 on: April 27, 2015, 02:23:14 AM

First really good episode of the season.  

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:54:23 AM by K9 »

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #3451 on: April 27, 2015, 05:33:02 AM

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3452 on: April 27, 2015, 06:08:29 AM

Given the unresolved Sansa prophecy, I wonder if this is a book divergence, or a way to short cut to the same place.

Prophecy I mean...

Also maybe...

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3453 on: April 27, 2015, 11:01:58 AM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3454 on: April 27, 2015, 11:11:16 AM

Littlefinger always has a plan several plans in motion.  It's possible that the writers have somehow forgotten that, but I'm going to give them more credit than that.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3455 on: April 27, 2015, 11:17:01 AM

He's trying to cozy up to Boltons, that the obvious one. The less obvious one I'm hoping is exactly what Khaldun and eldaec have outlined. The 3rd I believe involves Varys' plan somehow.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3456 on: April 27, 2015, 11:25:32 AM

Oh man, Littlefinger ending up on Team Dany (maybe trying to position himself as Warden of the North under Targaryen rule) would be amazeballs.  It would actually fit really well with the distance he's suddenly put between himself and the Lannisters.

My gut tells me he won't live long enough to see Dany on the throne... but I realize I don't have anything to back up my vague feeling that he's not as smart as he thinks he is and his hubris will be his undoing.  Have any of his devious schemes ever completely fallen through?  He might in fact be as smart as he thinks.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #3457 on: April 27, 2015, 11:26:29 AM

Not enough Arya and Tyrion in this episode to make up for the other trash.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #3458 on: April 27, 2015, 11:55:09 AM

Ayra disappearing from the plot would be the best divergence this series could take from the book. Tyrion is literally in filler island for the entirety of Dance so I don't miss him either.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3459 on: April 27, 2015, 12:05:41 PM

Regarding Khaldun's post

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3460 on: April 27, 2015, 12:21:43 PM

Oh man, Littlefinger ending up on Team Dany (maybe trying to position himself as Warden of the North under Targaryen rule) would be amazeballs.  It would actually fit really well with the distance he's suddenly put between himself and the Lannisters.

My gut tells me he won't live long enough to see Dany on the throne... but I realize I don't have anything to back up my vague feeling that he's not as smart as he thinks he is and his hubris will be his undoing.  Have any of his devious schemes ever completely fallen through?  He might in fact be as smart as he thinks.
Think it's pretty straight forward what the setup is.
My opinion obviously, but thats my best guess so far.

Of course the big question in this is what will Stannis do, but Ive had no idea what the fuck Martin has been doing with him for awhile now.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:25:34 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3461 on: April 27, 2015, 12:28:49 PM

I don't see why Littlefinger would necessarily need to advertise that he's got Sansa.  He could have feigned unconditional support for the Boltons and just kept it a secret that he had Sansa tucked away in the Eyrie, then eventually married her himself and leveraged that political value in his own takeover attempt once the Boltons were ripe for a coup.  Playing a longer game seems smarter to me.

Given that the Boltons are still theoretically allied with the Lannisters, this actually puts Littlefinger in a bit of a potential spot, since the Lannisters aren't supposed to know that he stole Sansa away.  That information could easily make it way back to Cersei and might get him in some trouble.  Makes this move doubly dangerous and potentially dumb.

On the other hand, this certainly gets the plot moving.   awesome, for real

(edit) Yeah, Teleku's idea seems like the most likely path to success.  Hinges on a lot of "imponderables" but if Littlefinger's been doing a lot of offscreen maneuvering then maybe he's got more control over the situation than is obvious.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:31:19 PM by Samwise »

Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #3462 on: April 27, 2015, 12:41:54 PM

Professional Forum Lurker.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3463 on: April 27, 2015, 01:20:53 PM

I don't see why Littlefinger would necessarily need to advertise that he's got Sansa.  He could have feigned unconditional support for the Boltons and just kept it a secret that he had Sansa tucked away in the Eyrie, then eventually married her himself and leveraged that political value in his own takeover attempt once the Boltons were ripe for a coup.  Playing a longer game seems smarter to me.

Given that the Boltons are still theoretically allied with the Lannisters, this actually puts Littlefinger in a bit of a potential spot, since the Lannisters aren't supposed to know that he stole Sansa away.  That information could easily make it way back to Cersei and might get him in some trouble.  Makes this move doubly dangerous and potentially dumb.

On the other hand, this certainly gets the plot moving.   awesome, for real

(edit) Yeah, Teleku's idea seems like the most likely path to success.  Hinges on a lot of "imponderables" but if Littlefinger's been doing a lot of offscreen maneuvering then maybe he's got more control over the situation than is obvious.

Aside from offscreen maneuvering, LF believes that if he shakes things up, he'll always come out on top simply because he is the better player, especially right now when the Vale is only one of the seven kingdoms entirely at peace. The obvious trope driven plot would be that he is ignoring the threat of an even better player sharing his carriage.

As for the threat of the Lannisters, Bolton no longer needs Lannister support if he has an actual Stark to pacify the North with. And LF doesn't believe Cersei is capable of holding the centre anyway.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #3464 on: April 27, 2015, 02:00:56 PM

You guys assuming that poor littlefinger wont get killed by cersei the moment he arrives at kinglanding.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: