Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:57:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116174 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1960 on: April 29, 2013, 06:43:06 PM

You assume he has a plan and it isn't all just desperation  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1961 on: April 29, 2013, 09:15:38 PM

Lastly, wondering why Jon lied about 1000 men at Castle Black.  Not sure how that helps him, the Wildings don't seem the sort to call off an attack because of 1000 Crows.[/spoiler]

I'd guess it was an attempt to get the wildlings to change where they climb the wall at. They know there's over a dozen forts unmanned, it would make sense to climb into one that was empty if they could instead of one defended by 1000 men. Not sure it really matters though, just that one giant they showed for five minutes looked like he could wreck all defender's shit regardless.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1962 on: April 30, 2013, 03:05:05 AM

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1963 on: April 30, 2013, 03:21:43 AM

Just watched the last episode - holy shit that was good. I found myself wanting Clegane to win, Arya and Robb are really taking a hold on the season and the Jamie and Brienne scene was fantastic.

Dead babies is a bit  ACK!

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1964 on: May 06, 2013, 09:46:48 AM

Weakest episode of this season I thought. The change to bring Melisandre to the Brotherhood and grab Gendry is necessary since Edric Storm has been written out, but it all seemed so convenient. I feel like the show is getting caught up in it's popularity and playing to the lowest common denomintor by overexplaining everything and removing some of the morally grey areas the characters walk in. Tyrion isn't anywhere near as kind in the books, while Littlefinger is being reduced to little more than a moustache twirling villian who can't wait to tell Varys all the clever things he's done. Joffrey is a monster and they are beating it over your head with every little thing he does.

The only scene I felt was any good was Brienne and Jamie with Lord Bolton, the rest of the episode was basically just setting up how the next few are going to go in order to wrap up this season.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1965 on: May 06, 2013, 09:55:03 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode.  Is it less subtle then the books?  Of course- they don't have time to produce 10 hours hinting aTyrrell plots and whatnot.  Tywin scene with whatshername was well done and the drunk priests story made me ggri

I could go for another.  T.  Episodes per season, though.5 i
e  ll

edit.  Stupid phone.  Leaving post is; I stand by my gibberish!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1966 on: May 06, 2013, 10:27:39 AM

I don't know what the fuck you just said. But you touched a brother's heart!

El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1967 on: May 06, 2013, 12:08:29 PM

Episode felt like it was just treading water to me. 

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1968 on: May 06, 2013, 12:48:49 PM

Looked like they were banking budget (notice how few actors were in any one scene, how little of it required any real stunts or fight choreography).  A cheap to produce episode filled with exposition and character development to make up for big budgets in others.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1969 on: May 07, 2013, 03:11:56 AM

My book-reading wife told my illiterate ass that almost everything in the episode was either not in the book at all or very heavily modified. 

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1970 on: May 07, 2013, 07:20:03 AM

So fill me in on where Joffrey is not a monster in the books. And Tyrion is quite specifically kind *to Sansa*. Not so much to Cersei, I agree, but that's an interesting change that has to do with the degree to which Cersei is more "grey" and complicated in the TV series than in the books, where she is pretty much a horrible person even when we have her own viewpoint to contend with.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1971 on: May 07, 2013, 07:53:43 AM

Cersi killed her best friend to keep her quiet as a young girl.  That's pretty much all you need to know about her.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1972 on: May 07, 2013, 09:27:25 AM

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1973 on: May 07, 2013, 11:15:50 AM

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #1974 on: May 07, 2013, 11:33:20 AM

I don't see why people object to Littlefinger's portrayal, it's a little less subtle but that's what he is like in the books.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1975 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:53 PM

I like how littlefinger is scripted and directed, but the casting isn't working.

He was great in the wire, and I can see why they went with him, but his interpretation just lacks menace. I get the feeling some of the moustache twirling is the writers trying to help him out.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1976 on: May 07, 2013, 12:44:55 PM

You guys are crazy. I don't see what's not menacing about him. Sure, he's a bit treacly with his delivery at times but I thought it was entirely in keeping with the character they've established in the show as well as the book - only with slightly less subtlety than the book because... well, because it's not a book.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1977 on: May 07, 2013, 01:19:27 PM

I thought he was pretty great in his scene with Varys this last week. Again, please to tell me where Littlefinger in the books comes off as a warm, sympathetic, lightly understood guy who just wants the best for everyone. The most "grey" that Littlefinger gets in the books is that there's a certain pathos in his memories of being scorned and excluded from his desires (Catelyn and otherwise) because he wasn't a member of the nobility--he is in that sense very much an archetype of narratives about early modern Europe, where various kinds of "nouveau riche" schemers managed to worm their way into power and influence as the aristocracy declined, often viciously so. But beyond that general pathos, he's pretty much an oily, vaguely charming schemer who has absolutely no scruples of any kind, nor any oaths to keep save the one he's made to himself to aggrandize his own power and if he can, have what was denied him when he was younger. I don't seem much divergence in books and series in that regard, save some compression.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1978 on: May 07, 2013, 01:44:15 PM

I really need to go back and reread the books; a lot of stuff is taking me by surprise here and I'm not sure how much of that is that I've just forgotten some of the relatively minor plot lines and how much of it is TV doing things differently.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1979 on: May 07, 2013, 02:06:43 PM

I really need to go back and reread the books; a lot of stuff is taking me by surprise here and I'm not sure how much of that is that I've just forgotten some of the relatively minor plot lines and how much of it is TV doing things differently.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1980 on: May 07, 2013, 02:09:13 PM

Littlefinger actually matches up fine with how I remember him; the events with the Brotherhood are more what have me going "wait... is that how that happened?"  I think I don't remember it very well because it ultimately doesn't have that much impact on much that happens later.  At least that I can remember.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1981 on: May 07, 2013, 02:12:18 PM

the events with the Brotherhood are more what have me going "wait... is that how that happened?"  I think I don't remember it very well because it ultimately doesn't have that much impact on much that happens later.  At least that I can remember.

Nope you're right there. As was mentioned the red woman never came to visit them. Gendry stayed on as a smith and much else didnt happen the way it did on TV.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1982 on: May 07, 2013, 02:18:05 PM

IGN has ongoing articles that tell you what has been changed, added and removed per episode.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1983 on: May 07, 2013, 02:18:39 PM

The Brotherhood stuff suffers from them basically cutting out all of the shit that went on in the riverlands.  Plus, the Gendry hijack.

Not a huge fan of how Aidan Gillen is playing the role, but I'm not a fan of his in general.  I don't even think he was that good in The Wire.  Him and Nick from season 2 always annoyed me.  Aidan has a stock set of faces he uses for certain emotions and most of them just look off.  His "astonishment" (same as his "hello there hot lady") face looks like some sort of drooling imbecile.

-Rasix
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1984 on: May 07, 2013, 02:22:56 PM

They're using Gendry to fulfill the part of Edric Storm, that's it.  I'm fine with it, since it keeps a character/actor we all know involved longer in the story instead of fading into obscurity, and cuts out another largely pointless character.

I also don't get the little finger hate.  I love this interpretation of him.  I think the actor is doing wonderfully, and he's way more subtly menacing on the screen here than he ever was in the books (where he was more just creepy and a dick).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1985 on: May 07, 2013, 03:39:45 PM

Peter, both in the book and on the show, is by far my favorite character and the one I am rooting for the most.

I have updated my avatard accordingly.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1986 on: May 07, 2013, 04:57:04 PM

I was just saying the other day that in watching the show I've been surprised at how much a fan I am of Dany.  It took me a while to warm up to her in the books, but in the show I've been rooting for her more than any other character ever since she got her dragons.  I mean, I really want to love the Starks, but they're bumblers, all of them, and it's probably for the best none of them is in charge of a kingdom.  Dany continually comes across as both principled and competent, which is a mix you don't get often in this series.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1987 on: May 07, 2013, 05:04:51 PM

I was just saying the other day that in watching the show I've been surprised at how much a fan I am of Dany.  It took me a while to warm up to her in the books, but in the show I've been rooting for her more than any other character ever since she got her dragons.  I mean, I really want to love the Starks, but they're bumblers, all of them, and it's probably for the best none of them is in charge of a kingdom.  Dany continually comes across as both principled and competent, which is a mix you don't get often in this series.

A real fan would update his Avatard accordingly and change his title to "Defender of the Bay."

I recommend this one! 

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1988 on: May 07, 2013, 11:27:12 PM

I agree on Dany. I find her a boring or frustrating character in the books, but even at her most stalled-out "I WANT MY DRAGONS" last season, I was rooting for the character. This season she's been the most satisfying character to follow.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1989 on: May 08, 2013, 02:05:26 AM

Littlefinger is great, matches the way I saw him in the books bar the subtlety. The scene with him and Varys, we have seen how vengeful they both can be and that keeps me liking them both more and more.

I wish they'd move Arya's arc on - she's nowhere near as badass as I saw her in the books where she was scrappy and tough from day one.

A good episode I thought, I didn't mind the change of pace.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1990 on: May 08, 2013, 09:48:27 AM

IGN has ongoing articles that tell you what has been changed, added and removed per episode.

Westeros.org has better recaps and analysis imo. For example: http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Episodes/Entry/The_Climb/Book_Spoilers/#Book_to_Screen

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1991 on: May 08, 2013, 06:01:07 PM

By the time Dance hits Little Finger and Varis become one of the few characters you still like. Especially once you realize the true extent of their rap sheets. And Danys star is set to wane very soon, just enjoy the waxing while it last.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1992 on: May 09, 2013, 04:54:28 AM

Problems I have with little finger:

The accent, I don't know what that is supposed to be. It is flat and forced.

The stance, this guy is a stage actor but can't emote for shit.

The just-a-game affectation, which is OK in some scenes but doesn't bring out the enormous chip on his shoulder about the major houses, and especially the starks. He's not really just about ladder, he is about fucking over the establishment. When he screws over Ned or discusses how any of the aristocracy have treated him, we see neither his true emotion showing through, nor a carefully composed mask of what little finger wishes to show in response to some dramatic event. We just get him tittering away like nothing is happening.

He lacks charm or guile. Unlike Varys, LF is never remotely convincing when telling one lord or another that he is on their side. So how he got to his position is a mystery. When we get to the big reveal of what he has been up to, rather than a shock it is going to feel like a cliche.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1993 on: May 09, 2013, 04:59:02 AM

1. He's not supposed to emote expressively. In book or in series. That would totally miss the point of the character. He's supremely controlled. In the books he's only let the rage boiling deep down show once or twice--we mostly know what we know about him from other people and from what he begins to tell Sansa once they're away from King's Landing.
2. People don't trust him. They don't think he's on their side. He has a habit of coming to them with offers they can't afford to turn away because they're desperate--because he has money and resources. The only alternative in some cases is to trust Varys, which is for most characters even worse.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1994 on: May 09, 2013, 05:06:02 AM

In the TV show he doesn't come across as supremely controlled, he comes across as a giggling panto villain.

Understated and serious, with the mask slipping on occasion to show either anger or sadistic pleasure would be fine.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: