Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:34:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116129 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1855 on: April 22, 2013, 08:40:42 AM

I thought the Daenerys section was very good but it's the first time I've noticed the switching between different characters weakened the impact somewhat.  I feel the scene would have been even powerful if the build up to it had been in the same episode.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1856 on: April 22, 2013, 09:00:34 AM

I thought that was another really strong episode. The acting seems to be getting better, which is good. I like show Margaery better than book Margaery - nice to see her have a bit more expanded role and I like that she is fully aware of what is going on. The scenes with Varys were good and the play between him and the Queen of Thorns was great.

I'm assuming that Theon's rescuer is;
Been waiting to see that end scene and I thought they did a really good job of it.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1857 on: April 22, 2013, 10:42:32 AM

I'm assuming that Theon's rescuer is;
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1858 on: April 22, 2013, 11:10:25 AM

I am the .00000001428%
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1859 on: April 22, 2013, 11:18:51 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #1860 on: April 22, 2013, 11:20:47 AM

Not to mention everything about that is reveled in Book 5. Everything else in the TV Show is in book 3 and 4.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1861 on: April 22, 2013, 11:24:10 AM

That part of the story was a mess long before the TV show got a hold of it.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1862 on: April 22, 2013, 11:31:48 AM

Not to mention everything about that is reveled in Book 5. Everything else in the TV Show is in book 3 and 4.

Except it's only revealed to the reader in Book 5. Everyone who is not Sam still has no idea they are still alive.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #1863 on: April 22, 2013, 11:46:24 AM

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #1864 on: April 22, 2013, 12:07:26 PM

Book v. TV Show Theon Stuff:

In the books....
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1865 on: April 22, 2013, 12:20:01 PM

Also, they handled the Unsullied scene a lot better than I expected them to. Really powerful, well done cinematography to disguise the fact that there were probably 30 actors in Unsullied costumes during that scene.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1866 on: April 22, 2013, 01:25:29 PM

Great episode, Daenarys' taking control of the unsullied was exceptionally well done.

Normally I watch a movie/TV show and compare it to the book it was based on. I'm sorry J.R.R.M., you could learn from the writers that adapted your long-winded novels - I enjoyed the first three but the rest were very average. By comparison, the TV series is telling almost the same story with far better writing.

[flame proof suit on]

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1867 on: April 22, 2013, 01:29:37 PM

I disagree with what you said.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #1868 on: April 22, 2013, 01:42:02 PM

Daenarys wrecking that town was the most telegraphed thing I've seen on HBO. While neat, it was kind of whatever. All of the great threats of this world (White Walkers, the Daenarys shit, etc) is some of the most unadvancing MAJOR SHIT I've seen since the Smoke Monster did nothing in Season 1 of Lost.

I can not stress how happy I am that I ignored everyone that told me these books were good.

Furthermore, my fiancee was just screaming after she finished book 4 and it was just total shit.

She has started reading The Black Company, 100% sure she will be happy about that. (Since, you know, they put a nice bow on nearly everything in those books)
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1869 on: April 22, 2013, 04:14:39 PM

You should push up your horn rims while you're at it.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1870 on: April 22, 2013, 05:21:19 PM

Holy crap a lot is going down this season.  Almost too much.  I want to spend more time with these characters and they have to keep some back each show (Robb and Stannis was absent this time).  Even the Sansa scenes were good this time around.  The Tyrells are a great addition to the TV show.  Margarery is playing a great game and Tywin pulls the same stunt on Cersi he pulled on Tyrion.  Plus he's the second person who's told Cersi that she's not as smart as she thinks she is.  That's gotta sting coming from your pop!

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1871 on: April 22, 2013, 05:26:05 PM

Daenarys wrecking that town was the most telegraphed thing I've seen on HBO. While neat, it was kind of whatever. All of the great threats of this world (White Walkers, the Daenarys shit, etc) is some of the most unadvancing MAJOR SHIT I've seen since the Smoke Monster did nothing in Season 1 of Lost.

I can not stress how happy I am that I ignored everyone that told me these books were good.

Furthermore, my fiancee was just screaming after she finished book 4 and it was just total shit.

She has started reading The Black Company, 100% sure she will be happy about that. (Since, you know, they put a nice bow on nearly everything in those books)

Schild hates on something popular and well liked by a large geek fanbase. News at 11.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1872 on: April 22, 2013, 06:34:16 PM

I like the writing for Tywin much more this season; he was much too likeable (particularly in his interactions with Arya) last season.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #1873 on: April 22, 2013, 09:16:01 PM

Schild hates on something popular and well liked by a large geek fanbase. News at 11.

Pop culture has all sorts of shitty literature that tons of people like. Twilight is the obvious choice here and while the writing for Game of Thrones is obviously better than that could ever be, it doesn't mean something with a large geek fanbase is something anyone should enjoy.

Your comment implies I should like Joss Whedon stuff also, because "geeks like it." Yea, no.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1874 on: April 22, 2013, 09:55:22 PM

I found the last two episodes to be some of the weaker ones. Like Schild said, the Daenerys - Unsullied 'stuff' felt very telegraphed. And oh so convenient that an army just falls into her lap to advance to plot. Daenerys is  the polar opposite to Theon Greyjoy - he seems to fail underservingly just because the writer wants it, while she succeeded for the same reason.

---

Somewhat tangentially, does someone else feel the 'bad' characters in the show are most interesting? The entire Stark clan is either absolutely bland (Jon Snow) or unlikable (the mother). Sansa is so daft, it makes scenes with her hard to stand. Arya being the exception.

On the other hand, if I find myself rooting for someone it's definitely Cersei, Tywin, Jamie and the Hound. In that order.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1875 on: April 22, 2013, 11:04:26 PM

Theon Greyjoy? Please elaborate. He is an entitled and whiny little shit that has an entirely too high opinion of himself. But maybe thats book Theon clouding my judgement. Where did he fail undeservingly?

Other than that, yes. Apart from Arya the whole Stark clan is boring. Though Jon Snow gave us Ygritte, so shallow that I am I give him credit for that.

I can't stand Cersei, at all. If she and Catelyn vanished together I wouldn't mind. At all.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1876 on: April 23, 2013, 01:17:22 AM

I'm not sure Arya is supposed to be good, or the Hound bad. But yeah, the lannisters deserve as much screen time as possible, whereas Dany and Jon start bland and go downhill from there. Robb is starting to show signs of life I guess.

Jamie even made Brienne interesting.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1877 on: April 23, 2013, 07:20:08 AM

I knew it was coming, but the "in your base, killing your dudes" moment in ep 4 still made me indescribably happy.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1878 on: April 23, 2013, 07:22:59 AM

I find Tyrion, Arya, Gregor (The Hound) Tywin and Jamie all to stand out as characters who are enjoyable to follow. Sadly, that's 3 Lannisters to a ratio of 1 Stark and 1 Clegane.

Marjorie might be another one but maybe that's the dress.

Other than that, Littlefinger and Varys are always entertaining.

The Barathians and Arryns can DIAF as they are tedious, as are the rest of the Starks.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1879 on: April 23, 2013, 09:12:17 AM

I feel like I remember in the books actually being convinced that Dany was really grappling with giving up a dragon for the army which wasn't exactly portrayed in the show.  I just remember this whole plot line being much more...more?

Man, I'm really dreading the next few books, hopefully they just pick a few and stick with it as a lot of plot lines are left unfulfilled.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1880 on: April 23, 2013, 09:17:44 AM

And oh so convenient that an army just falls into her lap to advance to plot.

It's not entirely convenient and it isn't without its consequences. The small arc she goes through in book 3 that comes as a result of her actions with the Unsullied is going to be pretty central to her character growth and her understanding of the rigors of rule.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1881 on: April 23, 2013, 10:03:13 AM

Besides, we are talking about 8 thousand soldiers here, even if they are super cool it is not even half of Robb's army and his was the smallest one of all the contenders for the iron throne.  Her power is and has always revolved around the dragons.  Personally i think they need to spend more time with (tri)Pod of house Mandingo.

I am the .00000001428%
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1882 on: April 23, 2013, 11:34:02 AM

In the books....

Damn forgot about that :)
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1883 on: April 23, 2013, 11:36:07 AM

I disagree with what you said.
Especially when he's one of the writers. :)
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1884 on: April 23, 2013, 11:46:11 AM

The Barathians and Arryns can DIAF as they are tedious, as are the rest of the Starks.

The only thing that make's Stannis interesting in the Books is his relationship with Davos, who's been mostly left out of the Show.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1885 on: April 23, 2013, 12:41:41 PM

Wait, what? Off hand I can't think of a single Davos omission?

The only thing I can think off that changed in the whole Stannis story was skipping storms reach, which was largely a waste everyone's time.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1886 on: April 23, 2013, 01:02:29 PM

Wait, what? Off hand I can't think of a single Davos omission?

The only thing I can think off that changed in the whole Stannis story was skipping storms reach, which was largely a waste everyone's time.

I don't think they skipped any parts of Davos' story they just breezed past them without much depth.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1887 on: April 23, 2013, 01:11:40 PM

I don't think they skipped any parts of Davos' story they just breezed past them without much depth.

True for most of the stories.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1888 on: April 23, 2013, 01:17:13 PM

I thought they did justice to those sections.  In fact, we got more elaboration on the shadow babies than the book gave us, for one.  Sure, one of the instances in which they are used in the book is omitted, but it didn't add much to begin with. 

The only reason that Davos exists in the books is so the viewer will have a character through which to view Stannis anyway, as evidenced by his current situation in the books.  In the TV show you don't really need that.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1889 on: April 23, 2013, 01:28:35 PM

He's a bit more than just a Stannis proxy.

He also helps introduce the religious conflict (and the magic vs not conflict), and his history as a smuggler with his missing fingers is supposed to show that in this universe people that did bad things can do good things, but still have to pay for the bad. I guess he is supposed to foreshadow Jamie, theon, and others.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: