Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:52:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116254 times)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1785 on: April 07, 2013, 08:17:35 PM

I think there are some shenanigans involved.

OK episode two was golden Jerry, golden!  Lots of plot threads picked back up and it ends with a good swordfight. 
Anyway, great episode, much better than the first.  Only worry is that there is a LOT of plot threads and not much will get done this season. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1786 on: April 08, 2013, 12:02:31 AM

The kid playing Jojen is Malcolm McDowell reincarnated (wut, he ain't dead?).

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1787 on: April 08, 2013, 07:03:24 AM

That was a great episode. Seems there is going to be a few departures from the book.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #1788 on: April 08, 2013, 07:28:53 AM

That's great the books get really dull at this point. The TV edit so far has been much better.

What had happened at Harrenhal in S03E01? The Mountain's prisoners when Tywin left seemed to be a bunch of local peasants. Many were women and children. Did The Mountain capture another 200 Northmen?

There were supposed to be a fair amount of northmen prisoners in there the while time. They just didn't show it properly.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1789 on: April 08, 2013, 07:33:20 AM

They did explain that the cells were full of northmen when tywin arrived at harrenhal.

That said, I didn't really understand why the lannisters felt the need to drag the bodies up to the courtyard. Presumably the writers have a rule about Robb Stark never being seen inside.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1790 on: April 08, 2013, 07:43:11 AM

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1791 on: April 08, 2013, 08:08:05 AM

To be fair, GoT probably could say exactly that to a cast member.

But there isn't much reason to, this an opportunity to get some feast material running and spread storm out a bit more. Which seems sensible.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1792 on: April 08, 2013, 08:14:31 AM

Right, it's not even skipping ahead, its more like showing us stuff that happened behind the scenes.

I am the .00000001428%
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #1793 on: April 08, 2013, 09:51:44 AM

Yup not so much skipping ahead as adding detail to things that were happening at that time which happens to keep theon on screen from time to time.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1794 on: April 08, 2013, 12:20:10 PM

Yup not so much skipping ahead as adding detail to things that were happening at that time which happens to keep theon on screen from time to time.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1795 on: April 08, 2013, 01:18:31 PM

Another thing about it I liked that they put in as a clue for people who hadn't read the books:

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #1796 on: April 08, 2013, 03:29:24 PM

I have only seen the very first episode of season one (have read them all, some repeatedly), but was wondering if they on the whole reflect the plot line in the book series?

Also, how you are watching these? I imagine most are not HBO subscribers so is it via DVD or via downloads?

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1797 on: April 08, 2013, 03:42:32 PM

I have only seen the very first episode of season one (have read them all, some repeatedly), but was wondering if they on the whole reflect the plot line in the book series?

Also, how you are watching these? I imagine most are not HBO subscribers so is it via DVD or via downloads?

We have our ways.  If anyone was using less than legal means of doing so, this forum doesn't allow discussing such things.

--Dave

EDIT: I will say that if HBO offered HBO-Go without requiring you have HBO through cable/satellite as well, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with paying for that.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:38:21 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1798 on: April 08, 2013, 03:45:26 PM

There is very little variation from the books so far.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1799 on: April 08, 2013, 04:44:04 PM

I subscribe to HBO, they have by far the best shows on TV.  Apart from Girls, that shit was unwatchable.

I am the .00000001428%
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1800 on: April 08, 2013, 05:47:43 PM

My wife likes Girls (no idea why). But yes, HBO easily has the best TV serieses on with some sprinkling of good shows from other networks.

- Viin
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1801 on: April 09, 2013, 02:49:57 AM

Another thing about it I liked that they put in as a clue for people who hadn't read the books:

The other clue was that last season when Robb wanted to march back North, they stated outright who had been sent to retake winterfell in his place. I don't think it is supposed to be a mystery.

On the subject of northmen, I really like the far more subtle Roose Bolton in the TV series.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1802 on: April 09, 2013, 03:27:27 AM

Good episode - I'm actually liking the little tweaks they make to the storyline. Did the actor that plays Jo Jen also play a midshipman in Master and Commander? He looks familiar. Fantastic actor from what I've seen.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1803 on: April 09, 2013, 04:05:34 AM

Loved the episode. Also liked that Simon from Misfits got another job. They really are scraping together every British actor they can find, don't they?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1804 on: April 09, 2013, 05:24:57 AM

Good episode - I'm actually liking the little tweaks they make to the storyline. Did the actor that plays Jo Jen also play a midshipman in Master and Commander? He looks familiar. Fantastic actor from what I've seen.

He was Liam Neeson's son in Love Actually. Don't know what else he has been in, but I figured out that was how I had recognized him.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1805 on: April 09, 2013, 06:15:12 AM

Martin just confirmed: no Strong Belwas in the TV series.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1806 on: April 09, 2013, 07:00:28 AM

EDIT: I will say that if HBO offered HBO-Go without requiring you have HBO through cable/satellite as well, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with paying for that.

Sign me up when that happens.  Only reason I don't sub to HBO is because I know the things I would watch when I was 10 that my parents would have been appalled by and I have 3 kids 10 and under myself now.  I guess HBO needs to keep people on the TV platform for the ratings data.

I have never played WoW.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1807 on: April 09, 2013, 07:37:34 AM

There is very little variation from the books so far.

The overall storyline doesn't deviate too much from the books, but there is a LOT of differences.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1808 on: April 09, 2013, 10:21:03 AM

Martin just confirmed: no Strong Belwas in the TV series.

Heartbreak I would have liked to see the scene of him dueling the knight outside of Mereen.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1809 on: April 09, 2013, 12:29:36 PM

On the subject of northmen, I really like the far more subtle Roose Bolton in the TV series.

Roose Bolton wasn't always subtle, creepy but subtle.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1810 on: April 09, 2013, 03:37:32 PM

General thoughts in the second one.

Bran and Arya suddenly have far more personality and acting ability.

Oh my god the horrible recap exposition dialog MAKE IT STOP PLEASE.

Cersei / Joffrey scene was great. Storm would have benefited from a cersei POV chapter or two.

The intro of the Reeds made very little sense. Shame they couldn't introduce them in Winterfell.

Margery was awesome.

Does someone have to sing the Rains of Castermere in every single episode?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:16:57 PM by eldaec »

schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #1811 on: April 09, 2013, 07:03:43 PM

General thoughts in the second one.

Bran and Arya suddenly have far more personality and acting ability.

Oh my god the horrible recap exposition dialog MAKE IT STOP PLEASE.

Cersei / Joffrey scene was great. Storm would have benefited from a cersei POV chapter or two.

The intro of the Reeds made very little sense. Shame they couldn't introduce them in Winterfell.

Margery was awesome.

Does someone have to sing the Rains of Castermere in every single episode?

yeh - huge disconnect with Thoros singing the Rains of Castamere, but I just understood it as keeping that song front of mind for viewers.  its probably the most important period in the books as far as the meaning/impact of that song goes.  Lady Tulisa being not-Westerosi kind of fucks with that too, not sure how they will resolve the non-existant "Cragg" family/house. 

I like the adaptation that Arya's arc is going through, it was a bit ponderous in the books what with the constant doubling back over the riverlands and back to harrenhall and whatnot.  The TV show's take on it is much cleaner.  Taking out the Brave Companions and making the Boltons the evil cartoon swirly moustache guys who like cutting on people is maybe a little too overdone.
Loved seeing Theon's arc brought forward, no reason not to - and like teleku said the subtle link with bolton and theon's pose was a good one - even my wife picked up there was something at work there.  I don't like the Qyburn thing, but . 

Pity that Riverrun's part in the story is being cut down so much, it would have been a beautiful location to frame some of the stark story arc, but they had to cut some things.  Not convinced with their casting for Mance, yet. 

*Should be working*
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1812 on: April 09, 2013, 07:31:36 PM

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1813 on: April 09, 2013, 08:14:29 PM

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1814 on: April 10, 2013, 11:59:22 AM

Problem with Riverrun would have been the visuals of Robb sitting around in a southern castle rather than looking uncomfortable away from home on a camp site.

Good example of the book doing the best thing for the book, TV doing the best for TV.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1815 on: April 11, 2013, 11:17:18 AM

Heh, thought this was amusing.  Pictures of the game of throne actors messing around in and out of costume:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/game-of-thrones-actors-doing-normal-stuff-is-so-weird

Some of those pics probably fulfill some fanfic authors deepest desires.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1816 on: April 11, 2013, 12:04:52 PM

Wow, I didn't realize that Sam isn't really all that large in real life.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #1817 on: April 11, 2013, 12:17:22 PM

Wow, I didn't realize that Sam isn't really all that large in real life.

A whole lot uglier though....
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1818 on: April 14, 2013, 03:04:53 PM

I'd like to give ole Sansa a game of bones.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1819 on: April 14, 2013, 04:02:56 PM

my what do we have here?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: