Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:59:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1116165 times)
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #1365 on: April 25, 2012, 07:40:18 AM

Actually i am kind of confused as to where exactly Davos and Melisandre were sneaking into.  Renly's army was at a camp, surrounded by tents, on their way to King's Landing.  Not in a castle that needed sneaking into.

Wasn't it to shadow kill the obstinate commander of stormclaw castle (forgot name) who would not surrender? The castle being very difficult to siege, taking too much time which Stannis did not have.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1366 on: April 25, 2012, 07:58:01 AM

Part of the fun I get from this is the reaction of people who haven't read the books, so please use spoiler tags if you've going to blatantly talk about what actually happens later in the book.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1367 on: April 25, 2012, 08:00:26 AM

If I remember right:

(minor spoilers)  
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1368 on: April 25, 2012, 08:27:54 AM

In the show the witch tells dany she won't scream and dany answers "i don't need your screams, just your blood".  After the whole "only blood can pay for life" conversation they had that sounds like there was clearly some magical intent behind the whole thing.  She could've been trying to bring back Drogo also though.

See, I always took that as a vengeance talk.  "I don't need you to suffer, only to die."

Yeah, that was my take on it as well. I think Dany was so grief-stricken, she might have had a small hint of an idea that maybe she could be immune to the fire and MAYBE the dragon eggs would hatch, but really, she wanted to kill herself and the witch as much as anything. That she didn't die confirmed she was the dragon, but I don't think she was entirely convinced of that before going in, so much as not really giving a shit about life after her love had died and the Khalasar was gone.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1369 on: April 25, 2012, 08:33:09 AM

If I remember right:

(minor spoilers)  

Obo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1370 on: April 25, 2012, 09:23:16 AM

I'd always assumed Dany did it intentionally, as she had been piecing together what was needed. She set up the pyre so there was a sacrifice for each of the dragons; Drogo, the witch and... was it a horse? As she was walking into the fire she had been thinking about how the brazier hadn't been enough to hatch the eggs.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1371 on: April 25, 2012, 09:56:22 AM

I think the fact that you can legitimately read Dany's intent in different ways at the time and in retrospect is part of what makes that such a brilliant scene.  I already knew what was going to happen because I'd read the books, but it still gave me chills.  I lean toward the "she had an idea of what was going to happen, but also perfectly accepted the possibility of it not working" interpretation.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1372 on: April 25, 2012, 09:58:46 AM

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1373 on: April 25, 2012, 10:10:25 AM

I'd always assumed Dany did it intentionally, as she had been piecing together what was needed. She set up the pyre so there was a sacrifice for each of the dragons; Drogo, the witch and... was it a horse? As she was walking into the fire she had been thinking about how the brazier hadn't been enough to hatch the eggs.

Yes, a Horse.  She mentions in the book that it's customary for the head of a Kalassar to be burned with his best horse.

She's also not immune to fire. Martin himself has said so and that the rebirth was a one-off miracle. Her intent was to die in the flames - which is also how I remember her mindset from the book.  I found a Q&A with him while searching for an online text of that chapter of ASoIaF

http://web.archive.org/web/20001005212114/eventhorizon.com/sfzine/chats/transcripts/031899.html

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #1374 on: April 25, 2012, 11:51:40 AM

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1375 on: April 25, 2012, 02:12:09 PM

Hadn't read the books so I just figured she was committing suicide and taking her things with her.  I was floored!  Iconic scene which will be one of the ones I remember.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1376 on: April 25, 2012, 02:16:12 PM

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1377 on: April 26, 2012, 09:55:54 PM

Yeah, I know, but Ned never took-on the Seven and Caitlin never accepted the Old Gods, so "uh.. because of his wife" isn't going to work for me.   Not for as stubborn and prideful a man as Stannis is supposed to be.

Whatever. I do not see how you have any basis for comparison there at all. If you've read the books recall the Queen's knight faction in Stannis' court. I don't think this is even hinted at in the series.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1378 on: April 26, 2012, 10:02:11 PM

If I remember right:

(minor spoilers)  

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1379 on: April 26, 2012, 10:05:02 PM

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1380 on: April 27, 2012, 07:21:55 AM

About Stormsend:

I am the .00000001428%
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1381 on: April 27, 2012, 07:43:59 AM

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1382 on: April 27, 2012, 08:04:56 AM

Hadn't read the books so I just figured she was committing suicide and taking her things with her.  I was floored!  Iconic scene which will be one of the ones I remember.

The books reveal things in interesting ways. For example, the gay relationship between Renly Baratheon and Loras Tyrell, which is there on film in the TV series, is never directly talked about in the books. Because each chapter is written from the direct point of view of a character (it switches between several characters), and in their world homosexuality is very much in its closet. But the occasional clued-up third party makes some underhanded joke which goes over everybody's heads, like wondering whether the Knight of the Flowers gets around behind Renly as much as he does to tourney foes, etc. And when good or bad things happen to Renly, there's a reaction from Loras. And Margaery Tyrell (Renly's wife, Loras's sister) clearly isn't getting any, but the bedroom scene we saw isn't written. Sansa has the hots for Loras, and a hint is dropped for her that she really wouldn't be happy with him. It's left to the reader to add it up, unlike in the TV series.

Other things like Dany's plan are also revealed bit by bit. Unfortunately one thing the TV series skipped was Arya/Arry's response to the attack on the Night's Watch recruits she was travelling with. In the book she's much more involved and much more of a badass. It's an epic chapter, unlike TV Arya on that occasion.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:21:36 AM by Tale »
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1383 on: April 27, 2012, 08:57:36 AM

Hmmm. Don't try to google any combination of "brotherhood" and "arya". Google helpfully assumes you forgot the "n". ACK!

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1384 on: April 27, 2012, 10:54:42 AM

I picked the first season of this up for sale and haven't read any of the books.

So uh, it's convoluted medival fantasy intrigue only with R-rated language, titties, and gore. No wonder it's so popular with nerds. I like the medival intrigue stuff but I have a feeling I'm going to need a fucking flowchart to know what the hell is going on as I watch it.

Also the dwarf is unironically a great character.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1385 on: April 27, 2012, 11:33:29 AM

HBO's site has a good character/map guide that helps with sorting the various plotlines and figuring out what's going on.

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season1/

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1386 on: April 27, 2012, 11:37:01 AM

Or just pay attention in Mr Garrison's class during the South Park episode that aired a couple days ago why so serious?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1387 on: April 29, 2012, 10:04:58 AM

I too just caught up to the current episode yesterday after watching seasons 1 and 2 up to now.  This thread and so many memes make so much more sense now  awesome, for real

It's weird though, every episode seems to make the main plot even more convoluted and complicated than the last, with one epic event happening at the end of the episode.  It's like when you think shit can't get any worse, it gets fucking worse.  Fun to watch, of course, but it'll be interesting to see how it all comes together in the end.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1388 on: April 29, 2012, 10:17:17 AM

It is a supposedly seven book series, the show is about halfway through book 2.  So yeah, shit is gonna get worse for oh... about the next half decade.

I am the .00000001428%
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1389 on: April 29, 2012, 05:52:03 PM

It's weird though, every episode seems to make the main plot even more convoluted and complicated than the last, with one epic event happening at the end of the episode.  It's like when you think shit can't get any worse, it gets fucking worse.  Fun to watch, of course, but it'll be interesting to see how it all comes together in the end.

Hint- it gets much, much worse.  Book 3 is full of a mixture of awesomeness and WTF JUST HAPPENED.  you ain't seen nothing yet.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1390 on: April 29, 2012, 07:27:38 PM

Well, crap that was some shit.  ACK!  Really enjoying the storylines, even the Night Watch one now.  I really like this show because I have no fucking idea what will happen next.

The Tyrion line was weak this week and Cersei hitting the sauce seemed out of character, but what do I know.  Greyjoy is always, well a joy to watch.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1391 on: April 29, 2012, 07:39:07 PM

The Tyrion line was weak this week and Cersei hitting the sauce seemed out of character, but what do I know.  Greyjoy is always, well a joy to watch.

Cersei has no one controlling her directly; Robert Baratheon pretty much kept her docile.  

Spoiler 2, not for those who have want a sneak peek to the book:

Final edit: OK episode, defintely setting stage for rest of this season.  Cannot wait for shit to get real.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:47:31 PM by Cheddar »

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1392 on: April 29, 2012, 07:46:13 PM

It's like when you think shit can't get any worse, it gets fucking worse.

Having just read books 1-3 and started on 4, I'd happily retitle the whole series Shit Gets Worse. However, my theory is that it's all about creating the right people to lead humanity against the white walkers (speculation, not a spoiler).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:48:33 PM by Tale »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1393 on: April 29, 2012, 07:55:48 PM

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1394 on: April 29, 2012, 08:39:42 PM

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #1395 on: April 29, 2012, 11:48:29 PM

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1396 on: April 30, 2012, 12:36:01 AM

Are these book spoilers or  last episode spoilers?  I thought we established the ground rules here about not talking about the books in this thread.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1397 on: April 30, 2012, 03:54:08 AM

I'd avoid all the spoilers if I hadn't read the books.

Maisie Williams is really outstanding as Arya Stark.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1398 on: April 30, 2012, 06:04:44 AM

I thought we talked openly about the show and put book spoilers under spoilers.

I am the .00000001428%
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1399 on: April 30, 2012, 06:14:37 AM

That seems to be what most people are doing, I think you could argue for spoiling the most recent episode for a couple of days till it's broadcast in the UK, but if you're in the UK and reading this thread a day after US broadcast, you really get what you deserve.  Maybe a mod could update the title to say book talk in spoilers, or maybe not at all?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:16:31 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: