Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:28:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1108598 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5425 on: August 14, 2017, 03:44:24 PM

I want to know how they're going to capture a white walker and bring it to King's Landing.  The scene of them venturing out beyond the wall needed one of them to be carrying a giant butterfly net.

They are not after a white walker, just a zombie.

Didn't someone try a zombie back when Tyrion was hand?  I vaguely recall it disintegrated.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #5426 on: August 14, 2017, 03:51:16 PM

I want to know how they're going to capture a white walker and bring it to King's Landing.  The scene of them venturing out beyond the wall needed one of them to be carrying a giant butterfly net.

Dumbest plot point in history that has led to the most awesomeness team in TV history.

The hound, fire sword dude (convinced he will win me the fantasy league), lil' bitch Jon Snow who finally dropped a sack and I root for his death despite everyone cheering for him, and Gentry.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5427 on: August 14, 2017, 04:15:53 PM

How did you not mention Tormund?

The only character in the show who realises he's living through Tits 'n' Dragons.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5428 on: August 14, 2017, 04:24:22 PM

AND how awesome Brienne is.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #5429 on: August 14, 2017, 04:33:12 PM

How did you not mention Tormund?

The only character in the show who realises he's living through Tits 'n' Dragons.

Doh, good point.  And Brienne sucks, another I hope dies.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5430 on: August 14, 2017, 04:51:07 PM

The fact that Bronn and JAmie swam underwater in armor for however fucking long AND no one looked for them was the FUCKING dumbest plot point

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #5431 on: August 14, 2017, 10:01:09 PM

Where is Ghost the direwolf? First, Jon went south without Ghost (would have been cool to see a direwolf meet a dragon), and now he's going north beyond the Wall without Ghost, who has been his best companion there.

I am now convinced Jaime exists to kill pregnant Cersei. Tyrion and the delivery of a sample wight will persuade him that the northern battle is the only battle, and to refocus the world he will have to kill his sister as she threatens humanity.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5432 on: August 14, 2017, 11:05:00 PM

Ghost was with Jon last year. They just stopped mentioning him for no reason.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5433 on: August 14, 2017, 11:42:20 PM

I want to know how they're going to capture a white walker and bring it to King's Landing.  The scene of them venturing out beyond the wall needed one of them to be carrying a giant butterfly net.

They are not after a white walker, just a zombie.

Didn't someone try a zombie back when Tyrion was hand?  I vaguely recall it disintegrated.

It was like thumb or some body part, no?  I guess they are going to bring a live one back this time?  I guess we'll see how it all plays out.  I am looking forward to an episode in the near future of hijinks beyond the wall, with the Hound throwing around the word "cunt" every other sentence.

There are some problems, but this is still great TV.  My current gripe is probably all the insta-travel.  It's like The North is just the next town over.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5434 on: August 15, 2017, 12:15:37 AM

I'm fairly confident they aren't actually going to do that.

I cannot imagine the scene where Cersei, Dany, and Jon sit about poking a white walker. Not even from the writers who brought us 'Carry On Up the Sunspear'.

For a start it is well established that the wall is not just a physical barrier. I don't know why the brains trust suddenly forgot that.

But doubt that will even be tested. Really it is all just the Dondarrion protocol "we're going north because the plot says so".

carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #5435 on: August 15, 2017, 02:44:22 AM

Lightsabers make everything better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVTtNOepijk

Only part of this season that has made me laugh out loud was the look on Pod's face when Arya was beating Brienne. It was perfectly between "That's right, someone is kicking YOUR ass" and "My sensei is getting destroyed by a twelve year old".
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5436 on: August 15, 2017, 04:39:53 AM

Sansa very briefly said something about Ghost in this episode, basically a reference to him having been left behind again.

Really, the catch-a-zombie-to-convince-Cersei is just the dumbest fucking thing ever in this show. Completely jolted me out of the action. I don't mind getting that particular group north of the Wall on a desperate mission, but really?
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #5437 on: August 15, 2017, 04:50:38 AM

Sansa very briefly said something about Ghost in this episode, basically a reference to him having been left behind again.

Really, the catch-a-zombie-to-convince-Cersei is just the dumbest fucking thing ever in this show. Completely jolted me out of the action. I don't mind getting that particular group north of the Wall on a desperate mission, but really?

Someone elsewhere said that this might be one of the (3) plot points GRRM had ready for the story and that's why it seems a bit ham-fisted since they are trying to make up all the reasons for the trip without all the build-up you might get in the books.

book spoiler:

edit: another thing that bothers me with the passage of time in the show; where are the unsullied for example (Jon has had time to sail to Dragonstone and then to the wall so you'd think they had gotten somewhere even if they were walking...)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:35:21 AM by satael »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5438 on: August 15, 2017, 04:53:54 AM

I suspect he's there because they're going to need someone to forge a lot of anti-zombie weapons.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5439 on: August 15, 2017, 05:59:25 AM

As for getting over the wall, the books mention
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:22:17 AM by Brolan »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5440 on: August 15, 2017, 07:36:27 AM

I might be completely wrong - but my assumption is they are going north to do whatever Jon is about to go north to do as Ghost in the books.

Most obviously they need to find out how the zombies get past the wall and what the overall win condition is for each  team. Even if Sam is in charge of figuring out what to do, there is probably a macguffin or three that needs fetching and a prophecy to fulfill.

I don't imagine books or show finishing with a simple battle.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5441 on: August 15, 2017, 08:45:34 AM

I've always assumed that the plan in the books is:

a) have the Wall come down. Night's Watch all die, more or less.
b) have a group of characters more or less trapped in Winterfell in the books as zombies approach. (GRRM takes winter more seriously than the show does--it's an actual impediment to troops and individuals travelling).
c) have a small group of Winterfell characters escape southward while everyone else dies. Probably the re-united Starks and a few others.
d) have the winter spread across Westeros, bringing the Cersei-Dany war to a standstill. (I do assume that in the books, GRRM had the plan to do the Cersei-blows-up-the-Sept thing, it has his fingerprints all over it.)
e) have folks assemble for a last stand thing. Maybe this is the point where the Magnificent Seven go on a desperate mission northward because Bran tells them about a MacGuffin they need.
f) meanwhile dragons flame zombies but there's too many zombies to stop
g) bad shit happens
h) bad shit concludes
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5442 on: August 15, 2017, 12:31:13 PM

I wonder if the travel issues are a part of why GRRM is struggling to write.

Book North is *really* hard to move around. Ports have been closed, armies cannot move without massive losses.

Its hard to see how GRRM could finish it with a battle because noone can march north.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5443 on: August 15, 2017, 12:58:28 PM

What's interesting is Eastwatch is on the opposite side of continent from Winterfell.  So an army that just wanted to go South would bypass it.  Winterfell doesn't even block the Kingsroad, it being West of it.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #5444 on: August 15, 2017, 12:59:34 PM

Ghost was with Jon last year. They just stopped mentioning him for no reason.

The reason is CGI budget.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5445 on: August 15, 2017, 05:31:10 PM

Eastwatch is mostly about the part of the Night's Watch that deals with Wildlings--the cannibal assholes live on the island off to the northeast of Eastwatch. Plus it's also the secret center of smuggling shit north of the Wall in years when there aren't zombies on the march.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #5446 on: August 16, 2017, 07:33:16 AM

i always knew the tv writers were stupid, didn't know how stupid. awesome, for real
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5447 on: August 16, 2017, 10:54:31 AM

Next episode has leaked. Not hackers, just incompetence. Beware spoilers.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #5448 on: August 16, 2017, 06:47:03 PM

It was like thumb or some body part, no?  I guess they are going to bring a live one back this time?  I guess we'll see how it all plays out.  I am looking forward to an episode in the near future of hijinks beyond the wall, with the Hound throwing around the word "cunt" every other sentence.
Cersei already has at least one undead minion.

I kind of wonder how that's going to color her view. I suspect she'll continue to think dragons are a hell of a lot more problematic.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5449 on: August 16, 2017, 07:43:19 PM

I think she thinks anything that is not "Cersei Lannister is in charge forever" is problematic. Anything that is "Yes she is" is absolutely fine. She's also made it clear in the last episode: she'd rather everything burned and everyone died if there was any chance of Cersei not being in charge.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #5450 on: August 16, 2017, 09:33:38 PM

Hey that sounds like some conservatives I know ...

- Viin
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5451 on: August 17, 2017, 08:31:23 AM

Cersei already has at least one undead minion.

I kind of wonder how that's going to color her view. I suspect she'll continue to think dragons are a hell of a lot more problematic.

I doubt she is aware enough of what the hell was done to Gregor. In the book it is obvious because the dude had no head, but he was alive in the show and as far as she knows Qyburn just made him "better".

I am the .00000001428%
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #5452 on: August 17, 2017, 08:59:00 AM

I made the mistake of watching the leaked episode early and I really want to talk about it.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5453 on: August 17, 2017, 09:08:07 AM

That will teach you not to peek at the presents early!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #5454 on: August 17, 2017, 10:33:45 AM

Yeah, people been telling me its good.

I still am holding out hope that Cersei uses the gold to buy the golden company instead of paying the Iron Bank, and they proceed to walk in and collect the Iron Banks debt for them by burning kings landing and Cersei to the ground.  But this show doesn't seem to give me what I want lately.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #5455 on: August 17, 2017, 10:53:16 AM

Yeah, people been telling me its good.

I still am holding out hope that Cersei uses the gold to buy the golden company instead of paying the Iron Bank, and they proceed to walk in and collect the Iron Banks debt for them by burning kings landing and Cersei to the ground.  But this show doesn't seem to give me what I want lately.   awesome, for real

It was heavily implied during the scene with Cersei and Mycroft Holmes, that the Bank will open new lines of credit to hire mercenaries now that they are happier about Cersei's ability to pay them back.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #5456 on: August 18, 2017, 09:07:28 PM

Yes, but that was with the caviat of "once we get the gold."  I'm imaging a scenario where she doesn't give the gold now that she lost her army, but the Iron Bank leads her to believe they will continue to support her anyways because she's the best bet.  Leading to Golden Company betrayal.

Who knows what they'll do at this point, but I can dream!    awesome, for real

Also, just watched episode 6 (which fricken HBO accidentally leaked, not hackers this time).  A lot of fun mixed with a lot of stupidity.  Let's just say they have given up an pretense of physics/travel time/realism in order to just make things happen.  TV level written is in full control now.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5457 on: August 18, 2017, 09:11:39 PM

Just remember the jumping around like a monkey on coke is because fucking GRRM wouldn't finish the fucking books.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #5458 on: August 19, 2017, 02:52:24 AM

Yes, but like, they do something this episode that takes it to the most comic extreme possible.  It's hilarious.

-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5459 on: August 19, 2017, 06:29:56 AM

I kind of like that if the books ever come - I know they can't possibly be this silly.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 06:32:02 AM by eldaec »

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: