Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:04:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  (Read 1114061 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #175 on: September 25, 2009, 09:12:29 PM

Not very, but he's too old anyway.  Gregor is supposed to be over 7 1/2' tall, so you're looking for someone of or around Shaq's height, and he dwarfs Richard Moll who's the last "Freakisly Tall" white guy I can think of. (Other than the guy who played Lurch in the Addam's Family movies.)

There will be camera trickery and post production effects to truly portray Gregor. Like they've done for Hagrid in the Harry Potter flicks.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: September 25, 2009, 09:42:24 PM

Yeah, Hagrid was who I was thinking of when I asked. Gleeson always seemed to be a huge intimidating man in most of his roles that I can easily remember(Gangs of NY,28 days later,Braveheart). I also confused the character Sandor for Gregor,I thought McCann was playing Gregor. Id imagine that since Gregor has mostly an ancillary role in the books and most of his "close ups" would be him in his monstrously huge armor it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Could let the character be only seen in his armor and not lose anything.  Im not sure how much older Gregor is but its probably a good 5-6 years and McCann is 40 or so.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #177 on: September 25, 2009, 10:05:33 PM

If he weren't dead, Trevor Goddard would have been perfect for the role IMO, with camera angles and whatnot.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: September 28, 2009, 02:05:28 PM

Hehe andre the giant if you could have found a horse that could lift him.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #179 on: September 29, 2009, 03:04:34 PM

Tyler Mane + camera shenanigans

Though I always imagined The Mountain as being more fat than buff.  Possibly I just didn't read closely.  Andre the Giant would really have been the best fit, if he could act his way out of a paper bag and didn't seem so friendly (and was still alive).

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #180 on: September 29, 2009, 04:26:16 PM

Tyler Mane + camera shenanigans

Though I always imagined The Mountain as being more fat than buff.  Possibly I just didn't read closely.  Andre the Giant would really have been the best fit, if he could act his way out of a paper bag and didn't seem so friendly (and was still alive).

I'm sure there's a few professional wrestlers that wouldn't mind taking a year off.  They already act for a living and it's probably not hard to speak like Gregor who roared half of his lines.  

edit: Holy shit, Kevin Nash is 50.

-Rasix
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: October 19, 2009, 06:06:35 PM

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #182 on: October 19, 2009, 08:58:41 PM

I'm not a big fan of Jon or Robb in the casting. Still, not bad.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: October 19, 2009, 09:17:27 PM

Dany looks the most likely to fail to me. Judging at a glance as I am.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #184 on: October 21, 2009, 07:45:50 AM

If they cast Rory McCann as Sandor, who the hell are they going to find that's bigger than him to play Gregor? Yes, I know this was already discussed.

I just didn't really think of Sandor as a giant guy. Always pictured him as more a wirey/lanky guy.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #185 on: October 21, 2009, 09:27:40 AM

Heyyyy Mark Addy.
WayAbvPar

Reply #186 on: October 21, 2009, 10:36:22 AM

Heyyyy Mark Addy.

I still think Brian Blessed would have been perfect (if he was a bit younger), but Mark Addy is a good second choice.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #187 on: October 21, 2009, 10:38:11 AM

I don't know shit about Game of Thrones, I just liked him in Knight's Tale.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: October 21, 2009, 10:52:47 AM

I just didn't really think of Sandor as a giant guy. Always pictured him as more a wirey/lanky guy.

Nah, several times GRRM makes a point to note that Sandor is huge, just dwarfed by his brother.  Gregor is probably going to have to be mostly camera tricks but when I lived in Cali there was a guy I would see on the street every now and then, he would wear a shirt that said, "7 foot 2" just to preempt the question.  He would have been perfect for the part as long as he could just stand around in the armor and look menacing.

Also, Jaime needs to be blonder and younger looking IMO.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: October 21, 2009, 11:13:47 AM

Jamie and Cersei are in their low 30s, the age seems fine and the blonde thing is easily fixable.  I thought he needed to be more pretty boyish rather than rugged though, like maybe an older Orlando Bloom that didn't suck.

I am the .00000001428%
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: October 21, 2009, 05:43:02 PM

Jamie is almost exactly like what I expected.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: October 21, 2009, 05:51:19 PM

They could have that wrestler guy, Paul Wight. (Not sure what his 'stage' name is these days, but he is ginormous).

Only white guy I can think of that is mountainous.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #192 on: October 21, 2009, 07:12:54 PM

They could have that wrestler guy, Paul Wight. (Not sure what his 'stage' name is these days, but he is ginormous).

Only white guy I can think of that is mountainous.
The Big Show?

Anyway, here: http://www.cruzan.info/tall.html
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #193 on: October 22, 2009, 12:47:51 PM

That list is lose. No Tiny Lister.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: October 22, 2009, 08:32:07 PM

It looks like the only former/current pro wrestler that they have on there is Andre the Giant. Even though a lot of them have been in a number of movies.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #195 on: October 23, 2009, 09:27:24 AM

It looks like the only former/current pro wrestler that they have on there is Andre the Giant. Even though a lot of them have been in a number of movies.

Glen Jacobs 6-8 "See no evil""WWF wrestler"born in spain. 

AKA Kane.  It's not an exhaustive list.  It doesn't have Nash on there and he's been in several things and is over 7'.

-Rasix
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #196 on: October 23, 2009, 09:04:54 PM

Damn.. Kristanna Loken is 5'11? Now she's more hot.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: March 02, 2010, 05:39:00 PM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: March 02, 2010, 08:58:36 PM

I read the first three books and I enjoyed them a lot.  I won't read anymore until the series is finished which should be just in time for my retirement in 30-40 years.

TV show should be cool though.  I bet Spartacus is still better though.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #199 on: March 02, 2010, 10:25:01 PM

I dunno. If Lena Headey pops a boob, its gonna be a tough tough call.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: March 03, 2010, 06:04:16 PM

I really don't have much interest in this.  I do wish it great success, though, just to open the door for other fantasy adaptions.  An HBO adaption of Zelazny's Amber books, Gaiman's Sandman or American Gods, or Cook's Black Company would be soooo amazing.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #201 on: March 04, 2010, 02:51:49 PM

Not a fan of Ice and Fire?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: March 04, 2010, 05:23:14 PM

Not a fan of Ice and Fire?

It's alright. I'll still buy the next book (whenever it finally comes out  awesome, for real) in hardcover.  I just don't think it's that amazing, which is blasphemy in some quarters.  Part of it might just be that by the time I had read ASOIAF I had already read Wolfe, Cook, Zelazny, Brust, and a host of others.

There are just so many other fantasy series I'd love to see serialized, especially by a TV studio that doesn't mind giving us nasty, evil or flawed protagonists that you still love. 

I'm really hoping that the adaption will open the door for other authors to get in there. 

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: May 21, 2010, 07:24:58 PM

Just a bit of recasting news -
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2010/05/game-of-thrones-hbo.html

Tamzin is out as Dany and Emilia Clarke is taking her place.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #204 on: May 21, 2010, 08:02:22 PM

They recast Caitlin as well, according to that article.  Michelle Fairley instead of Jennifer Ehle.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #205 on: May 23, 2010, 09:08:50 AM

Hmm, what's the TV equivalent of vaporware? Why are actors dropping out at this stage?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: May 23, 2010, 12:06:09 PM

Hmm, what's the TV equivalent of vaporware? Why are actors dropping out at this stage?

Not dropping out so much as being recast after the initial pilot/greenlight was given.  Happened with True Blood as well, and I'm sure more than a few other shows.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: May 23, 2010, 12:54:40 PM

It's very common for even principal roles to be recast after a pilot is filmed/shown to the programming people. Sometimes the pilot is aired before they change the cast around.

Most major series in television history have had it happen, it is not something to be concerned about.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #208 on: May 23, 2010, 04:52:02 PM

That's good to hear. I worry that the TV show is going to be 'in production' much like Mr. Martin's final book(s).

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #209 on: May 24, 2010, 01:48:15 AM

Yeah, the show got green lighted for full production by the top brass, so it has the funding.  It's not in limbo at all at this point.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]  
Jump to: