Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:56:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Saints Row 2 - Volition - 360 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saints Row 2 - Volition - 360  (Read 20887 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: November 07, 2008, 08:54:10 PM

Well, this should be a simple BiiF.
It's more of the same, but a ltitle better looking and a little crazier. New side missions with only 6 levels of each instead of 8 and the addition of motorcycles are nice. There doesn't seem to be a talk radio station anymore unfortunately. Lots of fun though. Online players are still 90% gangsta-wannabe mouthbreathers.

I'd sum it up this way.

Since I answered yes to the first two questions, my answer is Buy It.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:59:01 PM

Ah yes. Other stuff. You can make your character look like pretty much anyone, male of female, with a character editor that's far more detailed than I'll ever bother with. There's also an online co-op mode. Lots of the achievements even require you to complete the missions and activities in co-op if you want all the achievements. I've decided to not care.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 09:02:58 PM

Wow, you almost got the size right for the frontpage.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:42:49 AM

Rented this last weekend, then bought it three days later. It really is just GTA done right - as in they dropped the really annoying "realism" bits, and focused on the fun. And this is from a guy that really didn't like Saints Row 1.

I have a monster truck in my garage with nitrous.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 10:07:51 AM

Rented this last weekend, then bought it three days later. It really is just GTA done right - as in they dropped the really annoying "realism" bits, and focused on the fun. And this is from a guy that really didn't like Saints Row 1.

I have a monster truck in my garage with nitrous.

So, it's like the GTA series before GTA IV?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 11:40:03 AM

So, it's like the GTA series before GTA IV?
Yea, but more fun things to do.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 01:12:55 PM

Yes. Full customization of character, including race, gender, age and weight. Hell, we accidently discovered that if you slide the body shape slider on a guy far enough to the left, the game spawns on a bra on you.

Garages that let you modify practically any car in the game. About the only thing I haven't tried is the backhoe.

No area restrictions or unlocking. If you want to start the game and head straight to the airport to steal a Cesna, you can.

Style points for driving like a complete idiot.

If you steal a two man car when you have 3 gang members following you, the other two will promptly hijack another car.

Dushku.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 09:08:07 PM

Also, while there are areas that are brown (the Trailer Park, abandoned Drive-In, etc) the game is not brown.

As mentioned, style points for driving recklessly appear to be lifted wholesale from the Burnout series.

It's basically GTA: SA, on steroids, without bicycles and the contant need to eat.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 05:53:07 AM

Hell, we accidently discovered that if you slide the body shape slider on a guy far enough to the left, the game spawns on a bra on you.

"Bro!"
"Manziere!"

I call it The Bro.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Beltaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 07:58:14 AM

2 Rival gangs down, 1 more to go.

Definitely more fun than GTA4. I really enjoy how your gang lair gradually improves from a rat infested dump into a nightclub. You can also upgrade and decorate your safe houses. A stripper pole option in every one. :)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 09:37:24 AM

This game is insane amounts of fun in coop.

Its so much fun that the few crashes and glitches we found could be shrugged off.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 06:04:47 PM

Anyone picking this up for PC?  Looks like it came out today. 

Interested, because I don't have a PS3/Xbox360 and GTA4 is getting shit comments on PC. 
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 06:07:53 PM

I will very likely pick this up at some point.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 05:00:12 AM

Gonna wait and see. If it isn't a buggy shit-fest like GTAIV is, I'll get it for PC, if not, XBOX360.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 12:04:49 AM

First review off IGN wasn't promising (though IGN can be hardly believed).  They gave it 6.3 and stated it ran between 7-20 frames per second on his rig.  Dunno. 

I'm abstaining until I hear more reviews.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 08:28:33 AM

Fucking consoles. They better not make another shitty fucking console port that can't even run on a computer that's way more powerful than the goddamned console it was created for. Fucking consoles.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 02:53:24 PM

It's up on Steam.  Their forums are not kind to the PC version.  Lots of people saying it's poorly optimized and has worse pop-in/draw than consoles. 

I really wanted this to work, since GTA4 didn't.  I want a sandboxy shootem up... :(

Maybe I'll try GTA4 anyways.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 12:05:05 AM

Forums seem mixed. Some report stellar performance, others terrible, and nothing in between.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 11:42:50 PM

I tried it for the PC. Runs like shit on my machine (Core 2 Duo, GF 8800 GTS 512) and looks like shit as well (on medium details where I manage to run it). The biggest turn off for me was the controls though. Nothing has any feeling of mass to them. Every car feels the same. The guy you control doesn't  have any mass either, he just ice skates around instantly changing directions. Feels like I'm playing some 3D Simpsons game from the 90s.

Even if GTA4 takes itself a bit seriously, at least the game controls felt good.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 11:19:43 AM

That's a shame. Because it's Very Good on the consoles.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 11:41:19 AM

From the sounds of it, both SR2 and GTA4 are bin buys.

Thanks again, motherfucking consoles.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 09:40:25 PM

Buy a console and hook it up to that bad boy TV of yours?  Problem solved!

Not sure if that should be green or not.  Cause I'm halfway serious and halfway kidding.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:42:06 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 07:10:05 AM

So developers poop out a shitty port and I spend more money by buying a console and the console versions (at console game premium pricing)?

These shoddy ports are the first thing that have me considering sailing to the bay. DRM I can at least understand, if not agree with. This...this is pretty inexcusable.

I was reading on the widescreen forum that you have to put a hack into SR2 for widescreen? For a game that was made for widescreen consoles? I'll actually rescind partially my "motherfucking consoles" line, because this is more about greedy/lazy development, even if consoles figure a central role.
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 10:03:29 AM

I was reading on the widescreen forum that you have to put a hack into SR2 for widescreen? For a game that was made for widescreen consoles? I'll actually rescind partially my "motherfucking consoles" line, because this is more about greedy/lazy development, even if consoles figure a central role.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. No widescreen support.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 02:47:53 AM

So developers poop out a shitty port and I spend more money by buying a console and the console versions (at console game premium pricing)?

These shoddy ports are the first thing that have me considering sailing to the bay. DRM I can at least understand, if not agree with. This...this is pretty inexcusable.

No excuses for lazy/shitty ports, but if you're really serious about gaming (and the fact that you have your PC hooked up to your big TV says you are), you should invest in a console. Aside from avoiding shitty ports of good games and the worst of the DRM, it will give you access to a lot more titles overall, and you can then just pick the "best" version of a game. I got Far Cry 2/CoD 5/L4D on PC for the FPS controls, I got Dead Space on the console for the controller ambience. If I get LotR: Conquest it'll be the console version because it's basically a console beat-em-up. But, you know, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, sports games in general. Those just work better with a joypad than M&KB.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 09:38:14 AM

My pc was hooked up to my tv five years ago, long before fiancee, mortgage, or truck payments :) Now the money for a console would go to a bunch of actually useful stuff, like a new stove, gas fireplace, dishwasher, washing machine, etc.

Also, I have a great gamepad for my pc, and I'd even think about getting the 360 for pc pad for the couple of games that are being assholes about it (GTA and SR, oddly enough). Stuff like Marvel Ultimate Alliance is great on pc+tv+logitech wireless pad. Imo the only thing consoles are good for is multi-controller multiplayer, and even that they should be good at.

At this point, I'm thinking I'll just skip the game altogether. I forgot how slow and shitty torrenting is.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 11:00:15 AM

I found this game to be very fun, however I don't think it is a long termer for me.  The built in "missions" kindof suck.  I more just like cruising around finding the jumps and having the cops chase me.  I wouldn't recommend purchasing it at the current price.  Wait until it is on sale at 20 bucks or so and it might be worth it.  Overall not as fun as GTA III or Vice City for me. 
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 04:49:51 AM

My pc was hooked up to my tv five years ago, long before fiancee, mortgage, or truck payments :) Now the money for a console would go to a bunch of actually useful stuff, like a new stove, gas fireplace, dishwasher, washing machine, etc.

I commend you on prioritising your quality of life by getting a 360 instead of yet another mod-con.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 07:25:02 AM

What's a mod-con? The 360 is on loan from my Dad while he's in Florida for the winter.

Consoles: for kids and retirees :P
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 10:06:39 AM

modern convenience.
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 07, 2009, 05:33:51 PM

Do NOT be tempted to buy this shitty port after reading about the PC patch and thinking maybe it's OK now.  It's still basically unplayable as driving pauses constantly sending you careening off course - pretty fatal in a GTA clone.  Pretty pissed off as I can't really afford multiple games this month.  Kicking myself for not buying the 360 version.

Worst thing is the little you can play is really fun.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 05:37:38 PM by Sparky »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 11:39:08 AM

I guess DRM was taking too long to drive people to consoles.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 02:13:13 AM

Apologies for the IGN link, but the 'Ultor Exposed' DLC is coming on Apr 16.  Tera Patrick (wtf?) as an AI partner + new missions, vehicles (including an A-10) and customization options.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 04:53:01 AM

Well, I noticed her on the cover of some Xbox rag months ago when SR had just been released. I thought to myself "ah that half-naked chick on the cover looks a bit like Tera" then noticed it the mag was talking about her by name, so assumed she had a cameo in the game anyway like Jenna Jameson did in Vice City.

Then I promptly forgot about it until I saw this thread...

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 11:05:46 AM

And what's the first thing you think of when you think of Tera Patrick?  Microbiologist.

Over and out.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Saints Row 2 - Volition - 360  
Jump to: