Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:44:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Fallout 3 - Bethesda - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout 3 - Bethesda - PC  (Read 57005 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #70 on: November 11, 2008, 01:57:34 PM

A warning about exploring, I completed a part of the main quest before being prompted to do so.  Didn't get the achievement for it when the main quest skipped to the next stage.   ACK!

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #71 on: November 12, 2008, 07:06:19 AM

That's one of my concerns as an explorer, I took off exploring when the main quest wants me to go the the radio station. Thinking of incrementing the main plot forward for a way so I don't screw it up. Or just screwing it up and the hell with it. Game is wicked fun.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: November 12, 2008, 07:23:08 AM

The only thing I don't like about the game is how you really have to read the manual, something I haven't had to do with a PC game in years.  With my first character, I was level 8 before I figured out how to repair my own gear.

Stupid question:  I got the game via Steam, and have no idea how to access the manual.  If it mentioned it during the install, I don't remember.  Anyone know?  Also, Steam keeps prompting me with a CD key that I have to enter in order to access the "multiplayer content"... Can't find anywhere to enter it, and I was fairly certain this game is single player, anyway...
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #73 on: November 12, 2008, 07:29:33 AM

Its refering to the 'Live' option on the main menu screen, which asks you to create an account on MS Xbox Live for the sake of tracking your achievements. As far as I know, there is no multiplayer content, other than being able to look at other player's stats and achievements through the web's version onf Xbox Live.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Jesper
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: December 03, 2008, 11:56:55 PM

That's one of my concerns as an explorer, I took off exploring when the main quest wants me to go the the radio station. Thinking of incrementing the main plot forward for a way so I don't screw it up. Or just screwing it up and the hell with it. Game is wicked fun.

*semi spoiler*
I love GNR: splatting brains while listening to 50s music in a post apocalyptic world is priceless.

So if you want to listen to this radio everywhere on the map, you have to proceed in the main quest at least till the radio station before start to explore.
*end of semi spoiler*

My biggest concern is about melee combat system. Ok, it's a bit cluncky, but not being able to target location in VATS is a major downside to a melee character. As said above, i find assault rifle too much erratic, so that it's more a bigger SMG than a rifle...if you have to snipe someone, use hunting or sniper rifle.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: December 04, 2008, 12:47:10 AM

That soundtrack is exceptionally well chosen. Plowing through raiders while listening to GNR elates the game to a whole new level. Nothing underlines shotgun to the head like "I'm in love with a wonderful guy" or " Lifes worth living"...
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: December 04, 2008, 01:53:40 PM

That soundtrack is exceptionally well chosen. Plowing through raiders while listening to GNR elates the game to a whole new level. Nothing underlines shotgun to the head like "I'm in love with a wonderful guy" or " Lifes worth living"...

Yeh totally the title track is awesome too "I don't want to set the world on fire" fucking class.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #77 on: December 04, 2008, 02:12:43 PM

Too bad it's the same 5-6 songs repeated.

Seriously, after 20 hours it was unbearable.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: December 04, 2008, 03:09:37 PM

Yes totally agreed they should have put few more tunes in, I meant to add that.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #79 on: December 04, 2008, 03:13:52 PM

I still await the mod that will let me play my iTunes library through the PipBoy.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #80 on: December 04, 2008, 03:17:19 PM

The scourge of the wastleland demands Louis Armstrong!

-Rasix
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: December 04, 2008, 03:28:02 PM

The scourge of the wastleland demands Louis Armstrong!

That would be a sweet addition indeed.

Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: December 04, 2008, 04:51:05 PM

I mostly listened to podcasts while playing.  So a heavy amount of my wanderings had Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier giving me TMI about their lives.

Oh yeah.  The ending of Fallout 3 sucks oozing herpes sores.  (Well the 3 I could get to easily due to end game actions anyhow.)

You do not make a 40-75 hour RPG and make the ending about 2 minutes long with sepia toned pictures.

And basically barely allude to anything I did in the game other than "YOU DID GOOD/YOU WERE A DICK" as an acknowledgement.

What a shit way to end what was a pretty fucking good game.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: December 05, 2008, 07:55:03 AM

Too bad it's the same 5-6 songs repeated.

Seriously, after 20 hours it was unbearable.
I fucking love the soundtrack and yeah, had to turn it off at about the same point. I only turn on the radio when the fiancee is in the room, because she hasn't heard those tunes a gixillion times already.

I'm not sure stringing together three decap headshots from the Lincoln Repeater ever gets old. Or sniping out a security bot's combat inhibitor in an Enclave camp.
schild
Administrator

Reply #84 on: December 05, 2008, 07:56:12 AM

I'm not sure stringing together three decap headshots from the Lincoln Repeater ever gets old. Or sniping out a security bot's combat inhibitor in an Enclave camp.

It does. 60 hours was my breaking point. I'm done with the game.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #85 on: December 05, 2008, 10:34:09 AM

60 hours is pretty damn good for any game. I've got it on hold for now while waiting on the mod tools. Plenty in SR2 to keep me busy for now.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #86 on: December 05, 2008, 10:35:49 AM

I still haven't finished. I dinked around a lot with one toon, doing the quests all the way to vault 112, then doing side quests. Then I created a new toon with a sneak/energy weapons build, and I think I'm finally at the end scenario.

This game has legs, more than just about any other RPG I've played in recent memory.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: December 05, 2008, 01:04:42 PM

~75 hours in, I'm loving it.

The combat is fun, moreso now that I'm playing on Very Hard since it's more challenging, but that's not what is keeping me in there.
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 08, 2008, 03:10:45 PM

The game starts over again for me when the GECK comes out in the next few weeks. Sometimes modding is more fun for me than the games themselves. Building a complete revamp of classes/abilities in RunUO was the most fun I ever had in UO.
Beating a Dead Horse

Assault rifles rock - once you get SG into the 70s, the Commando perk, and AGI at 7+ you'll crit just about every time.  And have a new trophy to mount over the mantel with each luscious hit.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #89 on: December 08, 2008, 05:37:00 PM

The best SG gun is Lincon's repeater (museum of history) until you get the named Chinese assault rifle (going to the diner outside the metro station as directed by the meeting notes from the museum of technology). Lincon's repeater must have some sort of hidden crit stat, because it crits twice as much as any other gun I use. Other than that, the shishkebab and the assault shotgun round out the weapons I used. I used the laser minigun thing, but that was more for fun at the very end of the game. It eats ammo.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:38:44 PM by bhodi »
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 08, 2008, 05:40:33 PM

I think the sound that the combat shotgun makes in VATS might the most satisfying sound effect I've ever heard from a gun in a FPS
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:50:01 PM by ashrik »
schild
Administrator

Reply #91 on: December 08, 2008, 05:47:55 PM

I think the sound that the assault shotgun makes in VATS might the most satisfying sound effect I've ever heard from a gun in a FPS

Dead Space has AMAZING sound. And normally I don't care too much about sound like that.
Jesper
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 08, 2008, 11:50:11 PM

I think the sound that the assault shotgun makes in VATS might the most satisfying sound effect I've ever heard from a gun in a FPS

Dead Space has AMAZING sound. And normally I don't care too much about sound like that.

About charisma, i keep asking myself "why have they put in an automatic shotgun and a sawed off one, but forgot the old classic pump-action-dooming-piece-of-cake shotgun?" ç_ç Even if Caron is pumping his one (but, sadly enough, same skin as normale combat shotgun).

But i'm quite happy killing slavers with Lincon's Winchester. Karmic in every way.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

EDIT: typos.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:51:43 PM by Jesper »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 09, 2008, 07:15:07 AM

Yeah, I'm using lincoln's shooter as my go-to gun when overland. I'm finding the combat shotgun and assault rifle are both kinda meh indoors, so I've been using the flamer, but I take way more damage because it's less of a 'pop out of cover and shoot' type of thing. My main weapon for encounters like the enclave or bandit dens is the missile launcher.

I'm finding that encumbrance is beginning to annoy me. Normally I don't mind it much, but there are so many fun weapons and you'll never know which one you'll want to use at any particular time. If only the big guns weighed at least half, I'd probably be ok. And I agree with schild's earlier comments on power armor, it's too damned heavy.

If the encounters weren't fun to try in different ways (ok, this time I'll lay a minefield and shoot out the combat inhibitor, flushing the enclave back to me through the minefield and finish them with the flamer), it wouldn't matter. In most shooters I pick one or two guns and go with them for most of the game (and they don't even have encumbrance!).

(Small Guns/Big Guns/Explosives build)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 09, 2008, 07:25:22 AM

I'd like to see them tackle the Shadowrun, or even Cyberpunk 2020, license with this engine and style of game.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: December 09, 2008, 10:49:33 AM

Lincon's repeater must have some sort of hidden crit stat, because it crits twice as much as any other gun I use.

The Lincoln has a 2% chance to crit with 50 critdam and zero spread and since it is a hunting rifle it's a single shot. The XuanLong (my choice) has 1%, 12 critdam, and 1.5 spread but since it is an assault rifle it hits three times per "shot".  I don't have Bloody Mess and crits are already as necessary as I need. smiley

I'm not a min/maxer. I just now pulled these stats from the wiki.  Early on I assumed an assault rifle was better for medium to close ranged combat and haven't really experimented with the Lincoln hunting rifle.  Now I'm curious...

My impression just seemed to me the XuanLong took more baddies down faster with enough AP to spare that I could go into VATS three to four times. Useful when being mobbed. smiley  I use the sniper rifle for long to medium so between these two guns waste wandering is Great Joy.  When underground I mainly use mines and the assault rifle.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: December 09, 2008, 11:30:44 AM

I use the sniper rifle only for a few precision shots, instead I mostly use Lincoln's...simply because the sniper rifle degrades in condition so quickly and there's not a ton of them around, whereas the Lincoln last for a long time in good condition and lots of raiders carry hunting rifles.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: December 09, 2008, 12:48:35 PM

The Lincoln is more accurate out to a longer range (in VATS) than the Sniper rifle and uses less action points.  You can do better shots 'on the fly' with the scope but if you are going to VATS it the Lincoln is always the best option.

With Action boy I get off 4 VATS shots of the Lincoln, this is more than enough to drop a Deathclaw.

A fully repped plasma, particularly the named, may be better but since I just got one and it's not fully repped I don't know for sure.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: December 09, 2008, 01:13:48 PM

I don't have good Energy skills, so I dunno. Also missed the named assault rifle, woops. Deathclaws, don't need to take 'em down with the long-range gun, just cripple a leg. Then take them down as they hobble toward you. I'm a leg-crippling mofo.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #99 on: December 09, 2008, 01:24:51 PM

At 85ish energy, the named Plasma one shots Enclave soldiers via headshots. It's funny.

For shits and giglles I just made a new character. The first time through, I snuck my way out of the vault. This time, I ran around with the baseball bat and beat the crap out of every security guard in the place.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Jesper
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: December 09, 2008, 11:54:05 PM

At 85ish energy, the named Plasma one shots Enclave soldiers via headshots. It's funny.

I think that with a bit of stealth, at that point of the game, almost every weapon one shots Enclaves:D At least, a hit to the head from lincon's repeater or assault rifle from stealth 1hit almost everything. I halso had 50% more damage on criticals anyway.  why so serious?
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: February 22, 2009, 09:30:28 AM

Oh holy mother of god, I just picked up this game -- late to the party as usual -- and this is everything I want in an RPG. I played a bit of Oblivion and thought "meh." I played a bit of Fallout 3 and went "OMG I SHALL NOT REST UNTIL I EXPLORE EVERYTHING!"

It's very good to know the game ends when you complete the story. That was the first thing on my mind as I was sitting there in a semi trailer, baseball bat in hand, waiting for the dawn. I was so immersed mere moments into this that for the first time since Ultima 7, I used my real name for my character name.

Sucks that I had to turn visuals way down to make it playable. That's my only complaint so far. Well, better physics would be better too. Like shooting an empty bottle and watching it go *smash* instead of nothing. And a hotkey for swapping weapons. Nitpicks. I highly recommend this for folks who like open-worldy RPGs.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #102 on: February 22, 2009, 09:41:22 AM

And a hotkey for swapping weapons

There are.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: February 22, 2009, 11:08:43 AM

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: February 22, 2009, 11:43:56 AM

Click and hold on the weapon in your inventory and a circular set of quickslots will appear just like the ones in Oblivion.  It works for stimpacks and drugs as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Fallout 3 - Bethesda - PC  
Jump to: