Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:31:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Fallout 3 - Bethesda - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout 3 - Bethesda - PC  (Read 57006 times)
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 03:32:35 PM

Ack spoilers  swamp poop

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 04, 2008, 06:54:17 PM

Unfortunately it has to compete with Dead Space, and after I play some of that, Fallout 3 seems kinda flat.

Please elaborate a bit on that, since Dead Space is shittiest fps in the entire history of fps games, and Fallout 3 rocks so much... I don't remember when I sat at one game for 5 days straight and still wanted to play moooooooooooooooooooooooooar (it even makes Civilization IV seem nonaddictive).
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 07:22:56 PM

I was gonna buy this today for the PC does it need controller (is it preferable) or is it playable w/mouse?

For the love of God, what has the world come to. People seriously ask to buy a controller for a PC fps. You don't plug "a controller" to your PC (...), well maybe unless you want to play Deas Space, because that piece of shit doesn't een support the mouse properly (even Q1 did ffs).

Someone needs to start Jihad against consoletards. Preferably with nukes.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 04, 2008, 07:30:59 PM

I was gonna buy this today for the PC does it need controller (is it preferable) or is it playable w/mouse?

For the love of God, what has the world come to. People seriously ask to buy a controller for a PC fps. You don't plug "a controller" to your PC (...), well maybe unless you want to play Deas Space, because that piece of shit doesn't een support the mouse properly (even Q1 did ffs).

I highlighted the flaw in your statement for you  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Some games work better with a controller or at least are preferable to play with and I don't mind forking out for one if it improves the game experience.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #39 on: November 04, 2008, 11:30:39 PM

What is wrong with you? Dead Space is Great!

And all great gamers can play a FPS just fine with either a KB + Mouse, or a controller.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 04:33:17 AM

To be honest I wasn't really sure if this was more an FPS or an RPG or, as it turns out it takes a lot out of Stalkers pagebook (unintenional or not) but much more depth in the RPG element than Stalker.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 08:42:27 AM

Please elaborate a bit on that, since Dead Space is shittiest fps in the entire history of fps games, and Fallout 3 rocks so much...

Well, Dead Space is not a FPS so you're not far off in your assessment.  Also, Resident Evil 4 is - in my opinion - a much shittier FPS than Dead Space, so it's not that bad in the grand scheme.  If you liked Resident Evil 4 but felt the inclusion of unlimited oxygen made the game too easy, you'll enjoy Dead Space.  I think the worst FPS I have ever played was Mario Golf.

I'm pretty sure Fallout 3 is also not a FPS.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 12:40:41 PM

It's been a very long time since a non-MMO game has enthralled me as much as Fallout 3.  Last night, for instance, I sat down to play for a half hour before bed and the next thing I know it's 3am and four hours after I was planning to quit. 

The game is so similar to Oblivion, but there's this extra 'fun' factor involved that makes it so much better.  I can't put my finger on it. 
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 05, 2008, 12:46:07 PM

Trying to avoid the spoiler thread. How do you rotate the camera around to get a good look at yourself?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #44 on: November 05, 2008, 12:49:54 PM

The game is so similar to Oblivion, but there's this extra 'fun' factor involved that makes it so much better.  I can't put my finger on it. 

More game than bugs?  Lack of bajillions of cruddy pick-up-able crap lying all over the ground?  More interesting scenery?  More interesting N PCs?  Characters that don't look like they were created by mentally challenged chimps?

Even with the VATs bug and odd crash, Fallout 3 is 100 times more bearable for me.  It might be a bit of a Oblivion re-skin in a lot of ways but it has so much Oblivion's terrible bits removed and some better bits added in.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #45 on: November 05, 2008, 01:46:30 PM

Trying to avoid the spoiler thread. How do you rotate the camera around to get a good look at yourself?

Middle mouse button or hold F.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #46 on: November 05, 2008, 03:42:25 PM

It's been a very long time since a non-MMO game has enthralled me as much as Fallout 3.  Last night, for instance, I sat down to play for a half hour before bed and the next thing I know it's 3am and four hours after I was planning to quit. 

Guns.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #47 on: November 05, 2008, 05:55:57 PM

Yes, guns.  Dude, I wish I could take video of the things I do in Fallout 3 with Bloody Mess and VATS.  I have played for many hours and just this afternoon I made myself giggle again when my sniper shot aimed at a torso missed but decapitated the raider instead.  Shortly thereafter, I used a combat shotgun to liquefy another raider.  I'm glad you only have to find the tiniest piece of meat in order to loot a corpse.

Also, Chinese war-propaganda radio.

There is actually a ton of crap to pick up, but most of it seems to have a use.  Well, I'm thinking a lot of it does if I can find some damn schematics.  Of course, you can use it as ammo if you use the Rock-It Launcher.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Strazos

Reply #48 on: November 05, 2008, 08:33:26 PM

My non-meleeing energy user made a super mutant cry and run away with my Tenderizer sledgehammer.

And then I caved his skull in.

I made another mutie run away down some stairs...but since he was gong downstairs, he put his head at Just the right level for me to remove his face forcibly.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 06, 2008, 08:18:56 AM

This is easily my favorite game of the last two or three years. It's not just the big stuff. So many little things work well.

1) Traps. When's the last time that you played a game like this where the traps seemed: a) plausibly placed b) plausibly implemented and c) actually caught you now and again?

2) AI and pathing. Enemies path in pretty sensible ways. Some of them stay behind cover, others charge you, others use cover while charging you. The way different enemies move is really immersive. Ghouls aren't at all dangerous to me now at level 12 with Small Guns, Commando and a fully loaded combat shotgun, but they still scare the crap out of me with the way that they move.

3) The radio stations. Listening to GNR on your Pip-Boy while scuttling around is beautiful and eerie.

4) The NPCs. They have really vivid, well-imagined personalities. There are more memorable NPCs in this game than maybe any other comparable RPG.

5) The openness. If I want, I can try to go into DC as a level 1 character, and just ignore the main quest entirely. You don't *have* to min-max, though it's fun to take a second run once you know how. You don't have to have the best gear. You can be a melee character wearing lingerie and a stovepipe hat if you like, and you'll do ok.

6) The challenge level of a lot of encounters is just in that absolutely perfect sweet spot--I find myself frantically improvising, running and gunning, sometimes surviving by just a sliver, doing different things. Most combat feels very distinctive: fighting off Super Mutants in some areas of DC feels very different than dealing with Raiders that get the drop on you during overland travel.

7) The visual depth. There is no lazy repetition here: the visual elements which recur are about giving the world its immersive feeling. You get a lot of love from the devs if you take the time to look closely at a lot of places and objects. Also very very consistent with the visual aesthetic of Fallout once you get used to it being 3d.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 06, 2008, 12:36:49 PM

Yeah, It's Good.

I would say that it's almost entirely succeeded in what it set out to do.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: November 06, 2008, 09:26:03 PM

My character continues her adventures in the DC wastelands, mostly helping out Moira who is totally  why so serious? and just plain FUN to listen to.
I like the fact I CAN be a complete asshole but choose not to, mainly because I want to play a hero.
I coulda blew up all of Megaton, but I chose to save it. 
The atmosphere is amazing.  I haven't felt this way in a game since Condemned.  In some places it just oozes dread and decay.

I want to see these designers take the engine and make Battle Royale: The videogame.  A couple locations for the game, and a pile of random students with various missions and scripts.
It would be totally amazing I think.
schild
Administrator

Reply #52 on: November 06, 2008, 09:28:51 PM

I want to see these designers take the engine and make Battle Royale: The videogame.

NO.

Fuck.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: November 07, 2008, 02:00:09 AM

They released a patch yesterday stops the crashing when alt-tabbing and exiting.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/patches.html

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #54 on: November 07, 2008, 07:01:39 AM

Battle Royale with cheese, motherfucker.
Rhonstet
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: November 07, 2008, 03:18:55 PM

The only thing I don't like about the game is how you really have to read the manual, something I haven't had to do with a PC game in years.  With my first character, I was level 8 before I figured out how to repair my own gear.   swamp poop

Other then that, this is my game of the year for certain, and that means something coming from a WoW addict. 

My character continues her adventures in the DC wastelands, mostly helping out Moira who is totally  why so serious? and just plain FUN to listen to.

Moira rules.  Who else would ask a total stranger right out of the wastes to get crippled and/or irradiated, and have it actually be for research purposes?

We now return to your regularly scheduled foolishness, already in progress.
Strazos

Reply #56 on: November 07, 2008, 06:06:08 PM

Schild, where on the doll did Battle Royale touch you?

Oddly enough, I agree with you, as the game would probably be a linear trainwreck...I was just wondering why you were so against it.

Fear the Backstab!
schild
Administrator

Reply #57 on: November 07, 2008, 06:08:28 PM

Schild, where on the doll did Battle Royale touch you?

This engine does shitty combat. Battle Royale would need amazing combat. However, that gives me an idea for a crazy fucking awesome game.

Also, I love Battle Royale.
Strazos

Reply #58 on: November 07, 2008, 06:21:38 PM

Shitty in general, or just shitty for melee?

Regardless, I pretty much agree with you. You'd need an awesome stealth system as well.

Fear the Backstab!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: November 07, 2008, 06:48:32 PM

Schild really lives in another aesthetic universe sometimes. What's "good" combat if Fallout 3 is "shitty combat"? I'm having a hard time calibrating your yardstick.
schild
Administrator

Reply #60 on: November 07, 2008, 06:57:38 PM

Schild really lives in another aesthetic universe sometimes. What's "good" combat if Fallout 3 is "shitty combat"? I'm having a hard time calibrating your yardstick.

TF2?
Condemned?
UT3?
L4D?
Quake 4?
Far Cry 2?
Age of Conan?
Area 51?
Call of Juarez?
Bad Company?
Crysis?
FEAR?

I don't know. Throw a fucking dart at the FPS genre (or 3rd person sub-genre).

It's so hard to pick just one.

Also, I think you all have it wrong. Over 5 days I logged 60 hours in the game. The flaws are exceptionally obvious. But for an explorer-type, this game is a fucking dream.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #61 on: November 07, 2008, 08:38:47 PM

You just mentioned Call of Juarez in response to good combat.   awesome, for real  Might as well throw in Lynch and Kane or The Darkness.   

He does have an overall point, but I'm not sure it's an interesting one worth making. The straight up combat in this game is not spectacular.  It's far better than what they managed in Oblivion, but it might also be the best they can do.  Any IP/game that would rely on exceptional combat may be better suited to another engine and designed by another company.

Still, I think the combat here does very well in the greater context of the game.  Several outstanding games have had mediocre to crap combat: System Shock 2, Deus Ex, and VtM: Bloodlines to name a few.  None of those combat systems on their own are going to win any awards, but they allowed the games to be fantastic hybrids and instant classics that really stand the test of time.

VATs does several things: it compensates for some of the overall weakness of the combat as a pure shooter, it allows a hybridized turn-based feeling, allows someone that might not be comfortable playing this game as a FPS to slow it down, and it can also produce a lot of humorous Fallout moments.  VATs might be the best Bethesda can do. It's not great, but it fits the game and its limitations.

-Rasix
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: November 08, 2008, 03:03:16 AM

Yeh I agree with Schild the combat system in this game is a bit clunky by comparison to other FPS games but I do enjoy the slowmo replays and returning to see someones dismembered body caused by one of your traps is leet. So by way of palm rubbing fun I think this game has something over other fps.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: November 10, 2008, 02:04:53 AM

I *really like* the combat in Fallout 3, even though I disliked it in Oblivion.. Giving it true shooter combat, do not want.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: November 10, 2008, 02:13:31 AM

That's because, in this context, Guns>Swords.

The other Elder Scrolls worked because the engines weren't very good and the imagination filled in the gaps.  With Oblivion, it's all so ultra realistic that swiping with your nerf stick looks and feels totally retarded. 

It's also why Bow Combat was more fun.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 10, 2008, 05:43:06 AM

It's also why Bow Combat was more fun.

Seconded.  The only way to play Oblivion is to play it like you would Thief.  In that context, it's great.  For people trying to play mages or tanks I could definitely see it sucking.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #66 on: November 10, 2008, 07:03:39 AM

Magery in TES4 was not bad if you just went with artillery, particularly range attacks with a blast radius.  A bow with select poisons, however, was the Blood Sport of Kings.  Both of those approaches also had the distinct advantage of causing comedic deaths.

I think the single biggest failure of TES4 was LACK OF MOUNTED ARCHERY.  Removing levitation was bad enough, but that was a real slap.  I assume TES5 will have one type of armor, two types of weapons, three stats and five skills.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: November 11, 2008, 01:10:55 PM

Also, I think you all have it wrong. Over 5 days I logged 60 hours in the game. The flaws are exceptionally obvious. But for an explorer-type, this game is a fucking dream.
Heart

Bartle pegs me at 100% E.

He does have an overall point, but I'm not sure it's an interesting one worth making. The straight up combat in this game is not spectacular.  It's far better than what they managed in Oblivion, but it might also be the best they can do.  Any IP/game that would rely on exceptional combat may be better suited to another engine and designed by another company.
The AI could use an improvement.  And accuracy mods would help a lot.  I got one to make assault rifles a little more accurate (I'm sorry, my first shot should not go flying off into la-la land.  If you're going to model recoil, don't do it by making a random spread from shot one.) and it immediately felt better.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: November 11, 2008, 01:50:57 PM

On another note I really dig the music on Galaxy radio shame there isn't more of it, I liked the way it's incongruous to what's going around you.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: November 11, 2008, 01:52:34 PM

Would love a mod that lets me browse/play my iTunes library through the PipBoy.  awesome, for real

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Fallout 3 - Bethesda - PC  
Jump to: