Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:47:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: CoH/V to come out on Macs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CoH/V to come out on Macs  (Read 10934 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: October 30, 2008, 05:52:50 PM

Here's the link

- Both PC and Mac on same servers

- If you already have a copy of the CoH/V client then you can download the Mac client for free but don't get the extras

- The extra stuff (a teleport directly to mission entrance power and a new Valkyrie costume set) will come out in early 2009 as a booster pack for existing
 players; probably $10

Not a bad idea to encourage a little bit of extra player growth.

Alternatively: LOL MAC GAMING

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:04:16 PM

Seems like the Mac-using superhero MMORPG fans are already playing this through Bootcamp so this might be more convenient but I'm not sure how many new players it'll attract.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 07:43:32 AM

This will be very nice. I use Macs for work and PC for home. If I could get both WoW and COX on the same laptop, I'll never get anything done.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 08:24:53 PM

Closed beta testing of this has started.

What I find interesting is that Cryptic's logo is still on the box of the Mac copies. Someone was smart in that final sales contract.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 08:56:06 PM

Closed beta testing of this has started.

What I find interesting is that Cryptic's logo is still on the box of the Mac copies. Someone was smart in that final sales contract.
NCsoft probably licensed the engine "in perpetuity" for a nominal sum of money given that supposedly the CO engine is derived from the CoH engine so if Cryptic sold *everything* CoH-related to NCsoft they would then have to license back their own engine for CO since it's a derived work, which would suck.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 12:00:39 AM

Yep - NCsoft licence the Cryptic Engine off Cryptic. It's part of the agreement that keeps the Cryptic logo in-game, but I was surprised to see it on the box copy.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 08:56:11 PM

This version has launched and is supported by an ad that isn't half-bad.. Says zero about the actual game but works the whole "hero vs villain" thing just enough to avoid being tired.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 09:04:37 PM

If you already have CoH/CoV for the PC you can buy the Mac version and get a month of game time added to your account and get the "Mac exclusive" items (costume pieces, Mission Teleporter power), all for only $20!

The extra items are supposed to be available in a couple of months as a separate purchase but it's not likely to be any cheaper than if you just buy the Mac version (effectively only $5 not inc. tax).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 06:29:21 AM

Mac version is live, BTW. It even works on the piece of shit Intel GMA 950 GPU, even though it's not officially supported, and it can run on Tiger too.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: CoH/V to come out on Macs  
Jump to: