Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:04:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Spiders are awesome 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spiders are awesome  (Read 303837 times)
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: October 28, 2010, 02:53:08 PM

I know those things are harmless, but I had one huge bastard of a garden spider sitting next to my porch screen door last spring.  Was as big as my hand (but I have small girly hands).  Wish I'd taken a picture, but I was too busy shrieking, while trying to run past it with the laundry.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: October 28, 2010, 03:18:24 PM

I was just sifting through some site photos from field work I did a month or so ago and remembered this beaut (garden spider, Argiope aurantia):

[image]

Wow, great picture, beautiful spider.

Thanks, I just set it to my desktop background. Its abdomen was about as big around as a nickel!

Nice sized garden spider!  Did it have any color on the under-abdomen?
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #352 on: October 28, 2010, 08:08:38 PM

Nice sized garden spider!  Did it have any color on the under-abdomen?

Nope, they're just black.

I know those things are harmless, but I had one huge bastard of a garden spider sitting next to my porch screen door last spring.  Was as big as my hand (but I have small girly hands).  Wish I'd taken a picture, but I was too busy shrieking, while trying to run past it with the laundry.

Here's another one with my hand for scale (you wuss):

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: October 28, 2010, 09:54:53 PM

I wish I had a good camera so I could have taken pictures of my jeweled spiders.  There were four of them around the yard, one in each common color (red, yellow, white) and a strange orange orange-yellow I've never seen before.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: November 01, 2010, 09:36:57 PM

I've been trying to get a shot of this guy for the longest time and finally caught him mid-drop making his web.  He lives outside my kitchen window and only comes out at night and dusk.  I see them all the time but have no idea what they are.  There's also a black widow nearby that has been hiding and I only saw once and never managed to get a good shot of either.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #355 on: November 02, 2010, 12:22:48 AM

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: November 02, 2010, 05:55:48 AM

Ah!  So it's a she as well.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #357 on: November 02, 2010, 02:17:12 PM

That's what I was gonna guess! We have those all over our garden every summer.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: November 02, 2010, 08:16:57 PM

Garden Spiders live in the center of their webs though, this one seemingly only comes out for web maintenance at dusk and dawn.

Almost all the bug spiders you see are females. I guess spiders are so aggressive towards one another that equal sises across the genders would result in a fight, not mating.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:19:15 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: May 05, 2011, 06:57:55 AM

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #360 on: May 05, 2011, 07:00:25 AM

Why? WHY!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #361 on: May 05, 2011, 07:08:51 AM

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: May 05, 2011, 07:15:59 AM

I clicked the link.  But after seeing the still image, there is NO WAY I am pushing the play button.  This thread is bad enough without it turning into Spiders that Attack.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #363 on: May 05, 2011, 08:24:09 AM

You don't really get to see much of anything.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #364 on: May 05, 2011, 08:41:55 AM

You don't really get to see much of anything.

That's half the terror, tho. Not knowing where the spider ended up. Down his shirt? In the laundry hamper?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: May 05, 2011, 08:49:18 AM

That's half the terror, tho. Not knowing where the spider ended up. Down his shirt? In the laundry hamper?

Laying it's eggs in his still twitching corpse, most likely.  That's what he deserves for trying to trap the thing.  You don't try to capture them, you kill them with fire.  Preferably by burning the house down around it.  From orbit.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: May 05, 2011, 11:08:39 AM

That's an Australian huntsman, basically a docile house-spider, they are non deadly and rarely ever bite. My Australian cousin was bitten by one once, rendered him fairly ill.

Sorry to ruin the illusion, but he tried to run away and then got rammed with a plastic basin. Probably quite damaged or missing a leg or two, poor fella.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:10:59 AM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: May 05, 2011, 11:49:04 AM

That's an Australian huntsman, basically a docile house-spider, they are non deadly and rarely ever bite. My Australian cousin was bitten by one once, rendered him fairly ill.

Sorry to ruin the illusion, but he tried to run away and then got rammed with a plastic basin. Probably quite damaged or missing a leg or two, poor fella.
Look, I get that Americans have a habit of making their houses BIGGAR UND BETTAR than everyone else, but that doesn't mean you get to make the house spiders bigger, too.  I'm sure we'd be fine with the tiny, annoying varieties we have now.

I totally agree on letting that monster on the ceiling alone though.  I completely disbelieve the "docile" part.   ACK!

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: May 05, 2011, 12:46:14 PM

No honestly they are like any typical housespider around the world. I've shared rooms with them myself when I lived in Australia, they do look quite scary but they're totally harmless.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: May 05, 2011, 01:11:20 PM

Their victim's corpses have just never been found.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #370 on: May 05, 2011, 01:37:12 PM

No honestly they are like any typical housespider around the world. I've shared rooms with them myself when I lived in Australia, they do look quite scary but they're totally harmless.

No! I refuse to knowingly sleep in a room with a palm sized spider free to crawl on my face!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #371 on: May 05, 2011, 01:44:45 PM

I prefer my bedchamber to be like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: May 05, 2011, 02:32:28 PM

Spiders I can handle, but roaches are not cool.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: May 05, 2011, 02:40:23 PM

No! I refuse to knowingly sleep in a room with a palm sized spider free to crawl on my face!

Haha yeh we did have one in our backpacker bedroom but we ushered him out the window succesfully. I was reffering to an office I worked in, it was kind unnerving but the boss liked them around the office cause they ate real vermin, so I had to get used to the idea. Wasn't so bad... ok I lie it was quite unnerving, but trust me they are docile despite our perceptions.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: May 05, 2011, 02:42:18 PM

Agreed, huntsmen eat those fuckers why they should probably be applauded.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: May 05, 2011, 02:58:03 PM

Who will win in Battle Spider v. Ant?  http://vimeo.com/13681269
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #376 on: May 05, 2011, 03:04:46 PM

That's an Australian ... spider, they are ... deadly and ... bite. My Australian cousin was bitten by one once.
My brain filtered out the rest of the words in your post.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: May 05, 2011, 04:13:06 PM

That's an Australian ... spider, they are ... deadly and ... bite. My Australian cousin was bitten by one once.
My brain filtered out the rest of the words in your post.

Well played  awesome, for real

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: May 05, 2011, 05:20:08 PM

Who will win in Battle Spider v. Ant?  http://vimeo.com/13681269

Always a bigger fish!

My question is how does a palm sized spider get INSIDE your house? Invest in some window screens or something!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #379 on: May 05, 2011, 05:31:22 PM

My question is how does a palm sized spider get INSIDE your house? Invest in some window screens or something!

Or a shotgun. Fuck tupperware.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #380 on: May 05, 2011, 05:43:15 PM

I'd tell you how but I imagine you want to sleep tonight.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: May 05, 2011, 05:48:14 PM

It's fine, I'm in Canada, the winter kills them all before they get bigger then a quarter.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #382 on: May 05, 2011, 06:17:06 PM

They're flat and can squeeze into incredibly tight spaces. Wolf Spiders aren't nearly as flat and they can get into some pretty tight places. I've had a few squeeze right down into the 1/8" gap sealed by the weatherstripping of my front door to try and come inside in the fall.  There's a few pictures out there of Huntsmen squeezing behind clocks or other objects you and I think of as "tight to the wall"

http://www.asktheexterminator.com/spiders/Huntsman_Spider_printer.shtml

So, since houses have tons of seams everywhere (foundation, sill plate, brick joints, window cracks, doors) they can squeeze inside so long as they find a hole or a path through your wall.

Fun fact I learned recently: Some species, like the Jumping Spider, see in the UV range. (hell, it might be all of them because I know the ones that hunt scorpions also see in UV - scorpions glow in UV light) So they're probably seeing holes you and I aren't.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #383 on: May 05, 2011, 06:51:00 PM

With all your talk of hunting I figure you'd just blast the little fuckers into oblivion, regardless of insect genre.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #384 on: May 05, 2011, 07:21:37 PM

Crazy spider was doing some Flash-type nonsense...was he wrapping the ant in webbing as he circled?  ACK!

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Spiders are awesome  
Jump to: