Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:48:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Spiders are awesome 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spiders are awesome  (Read 302156 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: April 29, 2010, 11:55:47 AM

Engels... don't look
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #281 on: April 29, 2010, 12:57:03 PM

too late!  ACK!

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: May 03, 2010, 09:46:56 AM

Note to self:  avoid clicking youtube links in the spider thread while eating lunch at my desk.

Honestly, why do I continue to view this thread?  Is it possible to LOVE hating spiders?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #283 on: May 05, 2010, 02:23:56 PM

Note to self:  avoid clicking youtube links in the spider thread while eating lunch at my desk.

The videos of actual spiders aren't too bad, but from there you're almost always just  one click away from videos of people draining/playing with recluse spider bites and it's all downhill from there. If you've got the stomach for it, the world of spiderbite/MRSA/parasite videos on youtube is splendid.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #284 on: May 05, 2010, 02:40:10 PM

I'm imagining cyrrex as this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPRz0Gcsmqg Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: September 04, 2010, 01:50:58 PM

Worth a necro to warn you all.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:56:33 PM by Aez »
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: September 04, 2010, 02:02:15 PM

It comes Cthulu

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #287 on: September 04, 2010, 03:35:42 PM

Gonarch!   ACK!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: September 04, 2010, 05:44:49 PM

Reminds me of that line from Pratchet where "the beast with a thousand young" kills people by showing them pictures of its kids till their heads implode.  awesome, for real

Hic sunt dracones.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #289 on: September 04, 2010, 07:08:00 PM

Godammit Dave #47 fell off again.  I swear to god I'll pull over and come back there...
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #290 on: September 05, 2010, 06:17:07 AM

Christ that reminds me. Since moving down here to S.Carolina, I have seen some unspeakable things. The house my friend gave me a room in is tucked back in some fairly dense woods and therein lives bad things. However, cleaning up the driveway from tree debris, I noticed a resident set up shop in the corner of the garage door. Now I hate the hairy type spiders - ones which give me the creeps but this resident and her brood of over 50 is probably the prettiest spider I have seen. I am going out this morning on post a few pics if I can get her to come out of the corner a bit. Thus I am reserving this space for centerfold shots.

update: Now I have a PoS Canon point and shoot. It does the job, but nothing like I could have done with a better weapon. However, these are the shots I could get of Charlotte thus far. Once she actually comes out more, I will grab better ones.

I love the sleek look of Widows. Not that I would fuck with one, esp not as full grown a one as this one, but I was really tempted to prod her out for a better shot. I thought better considering the 50+ kids she has in the web.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 10:24:30 AM by 01101010 »

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #291 on: September 05, 2010, 10:02:44 AM

There are some awesome spiders out there. This one is my background:

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #292 on: September 05, 2010, 12:30:49 PM

Arachnids in general are pretty awesome.  Did you know Scorpions glow under a black light and that's how some field researchers track them down?  I didn't until I was at the zoo a few weeks ago and saw this:

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: September 05, 2010, 06:13:03 PM

Why do they glow? Do Scorpions see in Ultra Violet or something?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: September 05, 2010, 06:49:05 PM

Um, 106, you do realize that's a terribly poisonous spider there, right?  I'm a live and let live kinda guy, but that's an actively dangerous bug to have hanging around your house.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #295 on: September 05, 2010, 07:40:57 PM

Yeah, it's odd - people who are around them a bit grow used to having them around.  I would travel everywhere with a blow torch if they were in my area, but other people I know are okay with having a potentially lethal creature in proximity.  Hell, I read about one person who was living with 50+ nests in and around their house. 
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #296 on: September 05, 2010, 08:13:43 PM

Nuke that shit from orbit - it's the only way to be sure. ACK!

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: September 05, 2010, 08:14:08 PM

Oh I am fully aware of the potential danger. Widows at least are not the aggressive type, not like a recluse... however this one has a nest and thus is a little more apt to fight. She has not done anything aggressive yet and let me take a few photos, but she is happily content with her corner. That said, she will be relocated to someplace further away from the house - her and her brood. Prolly sometime tomorrow.

Still a very beautiful arachnid. Sleek and deadly.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #298 on: September 05, 2010, 08:49:59 PM

Why do they glow? Do Scorpions see in Ultra Violet or something?

The sign's exact wording at the display said "It is unknown why scorpions glow brightly under blacklight (ultraviolet radiation), but this little trick has long been used by field collectors to spot hard-to-see specimens."  So, no idea. I like the thought of them seeing in UV, though.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: September 05, 2010, 10:18:28 PM

Yeah, it's odd - people who are around them a bit grow used to having them around.
They are everywhere at my job and I have to actively avoid them.  I'm actually using them to confront my arachnophobia considerably.  I personally dislike them around my house, but if you have a car that sits for any length of time in California, you will have widows living under it eventually.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: September 06, 2010, 01:10:33 AM

They are everywhere at my job and I have to actively avoid them.

Where do you work - Hell?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: September 06, 2010, 01:28:18 AM

They are everywhere at my job and I have to actively avoid them.

The back road up to Mordor? DRILLING AND MANLINESS

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #302 on: September 06, 2010, 02:17:05 AM

Years ago I had a summer job at a salad packing plant in darkest Lincolnshire. After a few days my natural talent for putting onions in a bag earned me a much coveted promotion to the bananas line. The banana crates were full of spiders, we had to wear thick latex gloves to protect against black widow bites but, as we were handling rough wooden boxes all day, the gloves quickly got shredded to the point of uselessness. There were a variety of spiders in the crates, black widows being the commonest but occasionally we'd have some boxes from somewhere reasonably exotic and there would be tarantulas or goliath spiders in there. Of course when you start with a lot of spiders in one place you quickly end up with a smaller number of fatter spiders, so the ones that were still alive tended to be the biggest and most aggressive. As the only man on the entire floor it naturally fell to me to deal with all the spider-related emergencies. Most of them were killed but some escaped. I once had to go to the boiler room and the walls in there were literally crawling with huge spiders - it looked like something out of Indiana Jones.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: September 06, 2010, 05:14:00 AM

I think I would suffer a panic attack if I were you guys. How exactly do you relocate a spider's nest?
Strazos

Reply #304 on: September 06, 2010, 07:11:17 AM

With fire. awesome, for real

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: September 06, 2010, 08:42:52 AM

A giant metal building where they sweep the floors but beyond that arachnid and insect maintenance is something that doesn't happen.  Squirrels, snakes, even a deer and coyote have made it inside.  I had to go to the very front of the building once in the most cramped and darkest corner... the sheer amount of widows and various other spiders over all the equipment that has lain dormant for years made me cringe.  Every time something touches my arm or face walking down I always assume it is a spider and web.  I walked up to one machine to open it up and a widow almost the size of my palm was on the circuit breaker and key, so I decided to walk to the next one and open *that* one instead.  It only had a cellar spider on it.  It will get cold soon enough and then most will die.  All those years playing MMOs slaying vermin can't prepare you for the real world!

And for giggles...  pictures!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:54:14 AM by Selby »
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #306 on: September 06, 2010, 09:06:27 AM

Is that a perspective trick or is that Black Widow about as long as that banana peel?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: September 06, 2010, 09:11:29 AM

It's a leaf ;-)  But she was pretty big.  I don't have any pictures of the truly huge ones as they tend to scurry away pretty fast or I forgot the camera that day.
Strazos

Reply #308 on: September 06, 2010, 11:24:39 AM

WTF, that looks like an OSHA violation or something.

Fear the Backstab!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: September 06, 2010, 06:00:48 PM

I love spiders.  I think widows are beautiful.

I still wouldn't suffer one to live anywhere near me.  500 yard rule.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: September 06, 2010, 06:25:36 PM

I don't care so much about even big scary bugs like tarantulas and scorpions, because even if they can technically hurt, they can't actually cause any sort of significant harm.  Black widows and brown recluses, on the other hand, can seriously injure, and I'm not comfortable with my personal safety hinging on the tiny brain in those things not deciding to head over and ruin my day.

Same with snakes.  Not poisonous, no problem.  Poisonous, problem.
Strazos

Reply #311 on: September 06, 2010, 06:45:58 PM

Erm, thought scorpions were poisonous...

Fear the Backstab!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #312 on: September 06, 2010, 09:49:47 PM

Erm, thought scorpions were poisonous...

Bark scorpions in Arizona are particularly nasty and somewhat of a concern for me since I have a small child.  One of my mother-in-law's cats is also allergic to them.   

We used to get black widows around my house especially around the potted plants.  We started regular pest control since my son was born and I haven't seen one since.  Can't say I miss them.  They give me the creeps.

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: September 07, 2010, 04:45:26 AM

Since the Widow was a bit much, I went out to see if I could find some big ass wolf spiders that like to come out at night. Found two up high and I was unable to get good shots of them... they looked to be about dessert plate size. I did manage to get a shot of a smaller one on the garage gutter...about 4" in diameter leg to leg.

Calling him Dante.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: September 07, 2010, 04:55:20 AM

Is that next to a gate, making it Dante's Gate? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Spiders are awesome  
Jump to: