Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Spiders are awesome 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spiders are awesome  (Read 302143 times)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #245 on: March 30, 2010, 07:49:01 AM

You'd better hope you get them all.

And if you don't, pray none of them hold a grudge. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: March 30, 2010, 05:41:47 PM

Wolf spiders...
Are they called wolf spiders because they hunt in packs ? ACK!

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: March 30, 2010, 05:52:27 PM

Hah, don't worry so much!

They're called wolf spiders because they hunt down wolves.
 ACK!

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #248 on: March 31, 2010, 07:19:32 AM

Goblin spiders like to ride them.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: March 31, 2010, 05:18:31 PM

Wolf spiders... yeah fuck that. They are known for running down their prey instead of using a web or trap to catch them. Step on it and kill a whole generation seems like a bonus.

You call me into your room to destroy life?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #250 on: March 31, 2010, 07:34:18 PM

Wolf spiders... yeah fuck that. They are known for running down their prey instead of using a web or trap to catch them. Step on it and kill a whole generation seems like a bonus.

You call me into your room to destroy life?

What.The.Fuck.?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: April 01, 2010, 12:25:13 PM

Ugh, wolf spiders.   Those things were everywhere when I was a wee lad in the country.  Fast bastards, too.

The worst, though, was one day I decided to go out for the first dirt bike ride of the season.   My helmet had been sitting in the garage all winter.   I picked it up and just before putting it on my head, I thought, hey, what if there's a spider hiding under the little pad in the top.  Not likely, I thought, but better safe than sorry!

So I reach in to detach the coaster-sized pad from the inside of my helmet and WAAAAAAGHHHHH, a coaster-sized wolf spider was underneath.   Biggest goddamned one I ever saw.   I instantly threw the helmet across the garage and that was the end of dirt biking for that day.  

I still shudder to think, what if I hadn't looked?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: April 01, 2010, 12:28:55 PM

Your story would be twice as awesome?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: April 01, 2010, 12:31:22 PM

Cue running scene and yakkity sax as background music.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: April 01, 2010, 12:40:27 PM

If only the Bennie Hillifier really existed!
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: April 04, 2010, 03:28:38 PM

I actually consider pictures of baby spiders hitching a ride to be comforting.  You have a species with almost nothing at all in common with humanity, but here's a mother taking care of her kids.  It puts them in a slightly different light than monstrous little eating machines.  Very slightly.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: April 04, 2010, 04:10:38 PM

I actually consider pictures of baby spiders hitching a ride to be comforting.  You have a species with almost nothing at all in common with humanity, but here's a mother taking care of her kids.  It puts them in a slightly different light than monstrous little eating machines.  Very slightly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY7Ow1OWQww

You're welcome. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #257 on: April 06, 2010, 10:37:59 AM

Spider in Florida, pretty neat one.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: April 06, 2010, 08:28:55 PM

Jeweled spiders are one of my favorites.  The spines are not as pronounced and are black on our local versions, but they come in glossy white, yellow, red, and orange colors and make huge beautiful orb webs.  I never had one bite even with years of playing with them.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: April 06, 2010, 09:54:41 PM

So I'm walking down my first-floor hallway by the kitchen and a decently big wolf spider scuttles by.  About the size of a quarter, counting the legs, so still tiny by our scale, but impressive by the standards of the local spider population.  I am overjoyed at this, as the number of bugs spotted in the kitchen had been on the rise as the weather warmed up, and I didn't really want to go spray poison around the place with all my food if I could help it.  So I say, "Fuck yes, big spider cleaning out the kitchen!" to one of my roommates nearby.  He sees this spider and immediately turns into a gargantuan vagina, blubbering something about killing it.  I reach down and shoo the spider under the fridge so that my hysterical idiot friend can't kill it, and explain to him at great length that spiders make a living by eating bugs and that we, as generally anti-bugs-eating-our-food creatures, need to have a positive relationship with the things that kill lots of bugs.

He still insists that he's going to kill the spider if he sees it.  Moron.  It's a little wolf spider, it's not poisonous, and it's going to make my house nicer while minding its own business.  Seriously, if I could buy a dozen non-web-spinning spiders in a box and just sprinkle them around the little dark corners of the house so they can clean it out, I'd be all about it.  Bring on some biological warfare against anything else that tries to move into my place.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: April 06, 2010, 10:14:15 PM

I ran into a black widow while investigating some spare parts at work today.  It was amusing, mostly because I saw it first and didn't bump into it first.  Although the sheer amount of spider webs all over the cables and infrastructure around here sure makes me glad that it isn't my department that handles them...
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: April 06, 2010, 11:15:44 PM

So I'm walking down my first-floor hallway by the kitchen and a decently big wolf spider scuttles by.  About the size of a quarter, counting the legs, so still tiny by our scale, but impressive by the standards of the local spider population.  I am overjoyed at this, as the number of bugs spotted in the kitchen had been on the rise as the weather warmed up, and I didn't really want to go spray poison around the place with all my food if I could help it.  So I say, "Fuck yes, big spider cleaning out the kitchen!" to one of my roommates nearby.  He sees this spider and immediately turns into a gargantuan vagina, blubbering something about killing it.  I reach down and shoo the spider under the fridge so that my hysterical idiot friend can't kill it, and explain to him at great length that spiders make a living by eating bugs and that we, as generally anti-bugs-eating-our-food creatures, need to have a positive relationship with the things that kill lots of bugs.

He still insists that he's going to kill the spider if he sees it.  Moron.  It's a little wolf spider, it's not poisonous, and it's going to make my house nicer while minding its own business.  Seriously, if I could buy a dozen non-web-spinning spiders in a box and just sprinkle them around the little dark corners of the house so they can clean it out, I'd be all about it.  Bring on some biological warfare against anything else that tries to move into my place.

People that don't like wolf spiders piss me off something fierce.  And jumping spiders.  God those are awesome.  All of the bug removal, none of the annoying web removal.  Good stuff IMO
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: April 07, 2010, 12:05:16 AM

People that don't like wolf spiders piss me off something fierce.  And jumping spiders.  God those are awesome.  All of the bug removal, none of the annoying web removal.  Good stuff IMO
It's probably because they lie awake at night after seeing a jumping spider sit on their night table and just watching them with their big eyes... waiting... plotting... biding their time...

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: April 07, 2010, 07:34:05 AM

See, from my perspective, he's just watching over me, guarding me from annoying bugs.

Plus he just looks totally badass in that shot.  So cool!  I can be creeped out by close ups of spiders.  But definitely not that one.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: April 07, 2010, 08:40:24 AM

High-five little guardian dude!

<holds a finger up>

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: April 07, 2010, 11:42:03 AM

I mean, how can you not love these things?

They ride Harleys:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D92AUXhYZ0M&feature=related

They can play along when you're gaming:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGq7eIpia9A&feature=related

And of course the insect removal:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vrzSSpEl6Y&feature=related
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: April 07, 2010, 02:40:49 PM

You people must be from another planet, spiders are at the top of critters i don't want in my house for any reason.  Keeping them around to kill bugs is like having an axe murderer in your house to watch for thieves.

I am the .00000001428%
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: April 08, 2010, 10:17:33 PM

As long as a spider is neither huge nor poisonous, I'm happy to have it around.  It has no interest in me, and I'm glad for it to live a good spidery life and keep my place free of actual vermin.  Other bugs eat your clothes, eat your books, spread germs all over the place, fuck those guys.  I like insect predators, to me a spider's as useful as ladybugs and praying mantises in the garden eating all the pests.  They improve my life for free, so yay for them.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #268 on: April 08, 2010, 11:11:02 PM

As long as a spider is neither huge nor poisonous, I'm happy to have it around.  It has no interest in me, and I'm glad for it to live a good spidery life and keep my place free of actual vermin.  Other bugs eat your clothes, eat your books, spread germs all over the place, fuck those guys.  I like insect predators, to me a spider's as useful as ladybugs and praying mantises in the garden eating all the pests.  They improve my life for free, so yay for them.

Yeah, that's how I feel about it too. The only spiders in this area I really don't want around are black widows, but they don't really like to come inside anyway. Unfortunately since we got the cat the spider population in the house has dwindled severely. *crunch crunch*

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: April 10, 2010, 06:31:18 PM

The Whole Foods near me started selling containers of 50 Ladybugs or some Mantis Eggs.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: April 12, 2010, 11:07:02 AM

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: April 12, 2010, 11:24:26 AM

The huntsman lives for about two years, and this one is believed to be about a year old. It feasts on live crickets and cockroaches.

It was added this month to the museum's Bugs Alive! exhibit, where it can show off what Mr Henderson describes as excellent climbing and jumping skills.

"Once she jumped and then in mid-air turned and landed on the opposing surface," he said. "I held up the 10-card for that."
awesome, for real

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: April 12, 2010, 05:02:46 PM

"Spiders are awesome and tasty"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: April 13, 2010, 05:43:42 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: April 13, 2010, 05:38:26 PM

Yeah, I loved Spiderzoids

Hic sunt dracones.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: April 17, 2010, 06:51:35 PM

Yeah, I loved Spiderzoids

Thank you! I had that thing but had forgotten all about it. Man toys were cool when I was a kid.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #276 on: April 23, 2010, 01:10:15 PM

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #277 on: April 23, 2010, 02:10:33 PM

Gack. Daddy Long Legs creep me out far worse than spiders.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: April 23, 2010, 02:15:20 PM

The things that spend all their time bumping into anything that isn't actively trying to get out the their way? They're the most harmless creature I think I've ever encountered unless having disproportionately long legs is somehow dangerous (assuming of course that daddy long legs are the same thing on both sides of the Atlantic). I've discovered a large (for the UK) spider that's taken up residence in my room. I've decided to christen him Simon, while I haven't had a problem with flies or other bugs it's warming up and I figure I'll need all the help I can get. Unless he starts making webs, then we'll have to renegotiate rent contracts.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #279 on: April 23, 2010, 02:44:14 PM

The crazy homeless guy masturbating in the subway toilets is also harmless. Still creeps me the fuck out. Not as much as Daddy Long Legs.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Spiders are awesome  
Jump to: