Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:30:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Watchmen 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 101830 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #385 on: January 22, 2010, 06:58:49 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #386 on: January 22, 2010, 02:16:37 PM

Its a bit odd that people will watch completely fictional screenplays and that is fine, yet have one that involves Reagan era cold war background and everything falls to shit.  It's called willing suspension of disbelief, folks. 
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: January 22, 2010, 02:47:46 PM

Its a bit odd that people will watch completely fictional screenplays and that is fine, yet have one that involves Reagan era cold war background and everything falls to shit.  It's called willing suspension of disbelief, folks. 

As a child of the '80s I don't really get what these folks are on about. For some reason, seeing Richard Nixon as president clued me in that, besides superheroes, what I was seeing on screen wasn't my '80s. I'm not sure how this is a big issue for people.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #388 on: January 22, 2010, 03:00:45 PM

After all, if Nixon is President in 1985 he can just as feasibly be President in 2008.

Aside from being 14 years in the grave, you mean?

Although a movie that had Zombie President Nixon in it couldn't not be a hit.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: January 22, 2010, 03:07:26 PM

There's a difference. If the source wasn't written then, made sense then, and then was literally translated 20 years later to be almost exactly that comic book animated on screen, the movie would have been rated on the merit of the story alone. That could have been compelling.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #390 on: January 22, 2010, 03:45:19 PM

Was this even a major criticism of the movie?  I've only heard it from the few people on this board, nowhere else.  I've not heard a single person bitching about the movie being in the 80's.  Even all the people I know who didn't like it didn't care about that.  I still cannot even fathom this argument.

I still maintain that Watchmen wouldn't be nearly as interesting and fun to read/watch if it was set in post 9/11 America instead of Nixon hover-bike 80's dystopia.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #391 on: January 22, 2010, 04:33:51 PM

The game, you lost it.

"Me am play gods"
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #392 on: January 22, 2010, 04:39:12 PM

I totally think they should have updated it for our times.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: January 22, 2010, 07:00:43 PM

Was this even a major criticism of the movie?  I've only heard it from the few people on this board, nowhere else.  I've not heard a single person bitching about the movie being in the 80's.  Even all the people I know who didn't like it didn't care about that.  I still cannot even fathom this argument.

I still maintain that Watchmen wouldn't be nearly as interesting and fun to read/watch if it was set in post 9/11 America instead of Nixon hover-bike 80's dystopia.

Nah, I'm over intellectualizing it. Somehow came up so I ran with it smiley

My opinion is that this movie would have been much more interesting in the 80s. They waited too long. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed it. My real gripes are with how it handled the source material rather than it being in the 80s. I don't think the comic book would resonate today any more than a movie about the subject but not based on a classic would be.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #394 on: January 23, 2010, 08:03:58 PM

There are so many movies coming out now that never would have been possible in the 80s.  CGI has made many things possible that just weren't before.  That is what makes Star Wars so ridiculous-  Lucas never seems to get the real credit he deserves for the special effects in those movies.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: January 24, 2010, 06:14:13 AM

I sorta disagree. For two reasons:

1) All of these movies have come out before in some form, they just didn't have the eye candy like they do now. The only one I can think of that so seamlessly blended sfx with a story that required it was Matrix, which really was an old story told against a backdrop that required the type of CGI they developed for that Gap commercial.

2) Special effects done right have always been about telling a story. When the sfx are the story, you end up with Lawnmower Man.

Strip away the sfx from the upcoming movies. What story absolutely requires tech that, say, Speilberg couldn't have used in the 80s?
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: January 24, 2010, 09:59:11 AM

Yeah, I don't think it would have looked as good but had this been done in the 80's it could still have worked. Dr. Manhattan would have looked a bit weird but they could have done the rest of it and frankly I think they'd probably have toned the fight scenes down somewhat which would have improved things. My problem with your comment is really that the main, the obvious story about superhero evil plot to save the world, that would have worked better in the 80's but the main point of the film isn't the plot itself but how these characters, heroes, react to it. It was a comic book story meant to be questioning what makes one a hero that had a huge impact and in the industry is still being felt somewhat today. It triggered off the more 'realistic' 80's stories and a lot of the grimdark anti-hero 90's stuff which the industry has really only dialed back down from over the last few years and means it's still perfectly acceptable to write stories where the heroes themselves are brought into question. In that sense I don't think it would have fared any better in the 80's simply because, as a film, it would have been far too niche. Most people weren't used to superheroes and comics, they were for kids and that was it. If this had come out in the 80's people would have been expecting Superman and would probably have been hugely turned off by how it plays out, I'd say most critics that didn't know much about comics would have felt the same way. It's not that people were too dumb to comprehend it's amazingness so much as I really don't think people back then outside comics really would have coped well with an adult superhero film, hell I don't know if a film with this sort of ending would have played that well without the superhero trappings.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #397 on: January 24, 2010, 11:18:22 AM

Okay, sure it would have been possible to make a movie with shitty special effects.  They could have made LOTR back in the 80s and gotten the guys from the Dark Crystal or Tron to do the special effects.  That would have been spectacular.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #398 on: January 24, 2010, 11:49:02 AM

swamp poop

Which is to say, I agree with ghost.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: January 24, 2010, 12:00:59 PM

swamp poop

Which is to say, I agree with ghost.

Aside from Dr. Manhattan moments I don't think any of it would have been too much of a stretch for conventional films of the time. Those bits I'm not so sure about, they run into the problem that Dr. Manhattan isn't odd enough to work as a some sort of puppet but I'd guess that with a decent budget they could have done something low-key to make it clear he isn't a normal human. Beyond that nothing in it seemed so out there that it couldn't have been done. Sure it'd probably be looking dated by today's standards but things like Blade Runner and the Thing were very early 80s and by and large required more intense special effects than Watchmen really needed.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #400 on: January 24, 2010, 12:13:38 PM

Yeah, I don't think special effects would be the problem with doing Watchmen in the 80s (but I think your assessment of potential audience reception is dead on).  The blanket statement that every modern movie would have worked just as well without modern technology is ludicrous, though.  It's like saying Wizard of Oz could have been made during the silent film era.  Sure it could have, and it might even have still been good, but it would be a completely different movie.

I haven't even seen Avatar, but I suspect that it would not be the same movie if all the aliens were played by guys in blue rubber suits.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: January 24, 2010, 03:11:44 PM

I thought all the "everything popular is crap" stuff was confined to the Avatar thread. Apparently not.  awesome, for real
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #402 on: January 24, 2010, 04:59:00 PM

Is there now an internet law that any discussion inevitably ends up in a discussion of LOTR?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #403 on: January 25, 2010, 12:00:17 AM

Is there now an internet law that any discussion inevitably ends up in a discussion of LOTR?
Apparently.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: January 25, 2010, 02:38:48 AM

Apparently.

My Precious!  swamp poop

So how about that sex scene on the owlship?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #405 on: January 25, 2010, 07:02:50 AM

There are so many movies coming out now that never would have been possible in the 80s.  CGI has made many things possible that just weren't before.  That is what makes Star Wars so ridiculous-  Lucas never seems to get the real credit he deserves for the special effects in those movies.
What? He gets a ton of credit for ILM. And then he went on with better technology and made some movies with amazing effects but forgot to hire actors.

I'll take creaky old midget-in-a-can R2 over flying supereffects R2 any fucking day.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: January 28, 2010, 07:19:54 AM

My opinion is that this movie would have been much more interesting in the 80s. They waited too long.

If this movie had come out 2 years after Blade Runner and fit into the same sort of Noir mold and sensibility it would have been completely ignored by the main-stream but would be one of those movies, like Blade Runner, that still holds up 25 years later as a major moment in film.

Today?  Not so much.  I liked it a lot but that's just me.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: January 30, 2010, 10:49:05 AM

I completely agree with that.

I haven't even seen Avatar, but I suspect that it would not be the same movie if all the aliens were played by guys in blue rubber suits.

That's where it falls down for me. Without the spectacle, it's a pretty boring story. Kids would probably have still gone for it. But it wouldn't have been this big as movie event without the CGI.

Which makes me wonder about something else: would this have been a theater-filler in the summer? Like, I wonder how much of its ability to fill seats was based on it not having any real competition for this type of movie. It's not like kids go see the raft of Oscar movies that come out during the holidays. And the summer movie lineup is usually tight enough they need to push faster movie turnover during July and August for the next big one, whereas in the middle of the winter you can sorta take your time when there's not a lot of alternative for this type of audience.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #408 on: January 31, 2010, 07:18:39 AM

After all, if Nixon is President in 1985 he can just as feasibly be President in 2008.

Aside from being 14 years in the grave, you mean?

Although a movie that had Zombie President Nixon in it couldn't not be a hit.

If you are going to run with alternate histories, you can run with alternate histories.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #409 on: February 03, 2010, 06:03:23 AM

My opinion is that this movie would have been much more interesting in the 80s. They waited too long.

If they made this in 1988, it would have looked like Puma Man.

You caused me to think of a new meme: temporal uncanny valley.  It is a historical movie but the period is only very slightly different from ours and therefore unnatural.  Flying batmobile, night-vision goggles... and the computer was a 286 running dosshell.  Move it a bit further back so that the cars looked like the ones that ran on leaded gas and you'd be out of the valley.  Or move your age in either direction.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #410 on: February 03, 2010, 06:36:39 AM

Temporal uncanny valley is a great description for (imo) why a lot of steampunk properties just don't mesh.

Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: February 03, 2010, 09:07:26 PM

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: February 03, 2010, 09:10:45 PM

Quote from: Article
More importantly, though, it seems that Dan DiDio, SVP-Executive Editor of DC, has made it his mission to realize not only a sequel series but also several prequels. Why? I suppose he’d say Why Not?

WHAT IN THE NAME OF BALLS IS FUCKING WRONG WITH YOU
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #413 on: February 03, 2010, 09:15:48 PM

God... damnit.  swamp poop

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: February 03, 2010, 09:19:59 PM

What? He gets a ton of credit for ILM. And then he went on with better technology and made some movies with amazing effects but forgot to hire actors.

I'll take creaky old midget-in-a-can R2 over flying supereffects R2 any fucking day.

There's really something to be said for physical effects looking and working better in film than modern CGI.  CGI will look fine, but sooo many times the animators make it less believable by fucking up the little things like speed and realistic movement.  

Compare something like Jaws (realistic movement speeds, have to hint at things which is far more terrifying, actors actually have an object to interact with) to Deep Blue Sea (unrealistically fast and maneuverable sharks).  Or The Thing, where the physical effects are still disturbing.

Or Aliens.  That was all guys in rubber suits and camera tricks.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: February 03, 2010, 11:17:40 PM

Not to mention lighting/material problems. Most CGI surfaces still look pretty bad as far as capturing the look of real materials and getting the lighting on CGI objects to match up to real-life props is something almost nobody gets right.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: February 04, 2010, 03:08:51 AM

Compare something like Jaws (realistic movement speeds, have to hint at things which is far more terrifying, actors actually have an object to interact with) to Deep Blue Sea (unrealistically fast and maneuverable sharks).  Or The Thing, where the physical effects are still disturbing.

Or Aliens.  That was all guys in rubber suits and camera tricks.
I get the same "They actually did that!" feeling I get watching stunts in Hong Kong action films, or watching the war scenes in Patton, or this whole sequence in The General. Now that we can so effortlessly fake everything, it's lost a bit of the magic. Impressive physical effects never cease to amaze me... CG only impresses when I catch myself forgetting it's CG.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:10:42 AM by pxib »

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #417 on: February 04, 2010, 03:25:36 AM

As a huge Watchmen fan I say no fucking WAY to a sequel.  Watchmen Babies can only be around the corner.  Just.  Leave.  It.  Alone.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: February 04, 2010, 09:36:10 AM

actors actually have an object to interact with

This one doesn't bother me. Actors have been pretending to interact with things that aren't really there since Ray Harryhausen started playing with his stop motion camera.

Mostly, I just dislike CGI because it can become a shortcut to bypass creativity.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: February 04, 2010, 10:02:52 AM

Lets speculate about the plot.

Doc Manhatten is drawn back to earth by his infinite love for whatshername and they have a moody teenage son that sparkles in the sunlight. He longs for a girl in his class but he cant dare kiss her because of his dark secret. In the meantime Rorschach's atoms infects everyone and turns into thousands of Rorschach clones and Night owl is forced to fight him to allow the guardian of reality to reset everything and save humanity from the war with the robots that Ozy invented.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Watchmen  
Jump to: