Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:13:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Watchmen 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 101651 times)
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 10:18:23 PM

I have not been following the production of this movie but i expect it to be pretty ass. At least in relation to comic.

How do they intend to work in the blackship stuff? Also i don't think the ending is going to translate well into film.

That said i will still be going to see it in theater.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 10:50:31 PM

Did you uhh... read any of the thread? Some of that stuff's been mentioned...

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 03:55:17 AM

Really? do tell.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 06:06:04 AM

Really? do tell.

Here, let me help you.

Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 01, 2009, 12:11:44 AM

What's the predicted turnout for this thing?  I really want to see it, but I also really hate waiting in lines and large, obnoxious movie crowds.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #40 on: March 01, 2009, 01:25:21 AM

What's the predicted turnout for this thing?  I really want to see it, but I also really hate waiting in lines and large, obnoxious movie crowds.

My theater is getting in 5 prints, so I don't think any one showing is going to have huge crowds aside from anything showing between 7-8 pm (I'd advise against ever going to see a movie in that time frame if crowds bother you, especially Fri-Sun).  With trailers it clocks in at almost exactly 3 hours which might scare some people off, and if Variety's review is any indication, the film might get a lukewarm reception from people not familiar with the comic so it might not end up being as big as some people are expecting.

But yeah, the advice I'd give you is go to a matinee.  Even before I worked at a theater, I never understood why people are stuck in the habit of going in the evening and paying more for a worse experience.  Hell, the theater chain I work for is now doing $6 tickets (compared to the $10+ evening tickets) for the first showing of each movie every day, and I'd be surprised if other theater chains aren't doing comperable things.  Maybe you're stuck working Friday morning, so you can't see it on release day, but you just go whenever your next day off is.  No crowds, cheaper prices.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #41 on: March 01, 2009, 05:17:38 AM

Yeah around here they do $5 tickets if you come before noon. Can't beat that.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #42 on: March 01, 2009, 05:59:14 AM

I really can't wait to see this actually, but I don't think I'll be able to catch it right away.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 01, 2009, 06:03:06 AM

I've never much been into comics. I like the stories, just not the publication model. So I pick up graphic novels after the fact. Still need to get this one.

But I am excited to see this. Mostly from the previews. Some guy at work was trying to rally folks for a midnight showing. I felt bad for how often he got laughed at.

I really didn't have anything to add.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #44 on: March 01, 2009, 06:10:48 AM

Well, now that the movie's out, might as well check it out and then read later. It's one of the best comics ever written though (admittedly, I haven't read that many comics since I was 12, but hey..). I think Alan Moore is a grumpy bastard actually, and don't like him, but he's really in a league of his own.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 01, 2009, 09:03:04 AM

Wait, it's out somewhere? I thought it was March 6th? Or did you mean "out" in the sense that I could just wait the next five days since I'm not likely going to hit a bookstore to by the graphic novel in that time anyway? smiley
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 01, 2009, 09:16:36 AM

Im imagining people picking up the comic after seeing the movie wont be as impressed as they should be. The comic is real old and at the time it was amazing and ground breaking in its theme. But if you read it now its a lot less impressive.

Alan Moore has a good deal to be grumpy about. People have raped his works and taken advantage of him at every turn. He is also a wizard! How cant you love a real life comic book writing wizard.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #47 on: March 01, 2009, 09:44:02 AM

Wait, it's out somewhere? I thought it was March 6th? Or did you mean "out" in the sense that I could just wait the next five days since I'm not likely going to hit a bookstore to by the graphic novel in that time anyway? smiley

Heh yeah that's all I meant.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 01, 2009, 06:55:46 PM

So I finally picked this up. Like I said, I've never been much into comics. But damn this is good stuff. I'm only about a quarter of the way through, but this is the kind of writing that would make a good novel. And speaking of which, the idea of interspersing Hollis' novel is fantastic. Freakin' fictional author guy is a better writer than most of the crap you'd pick up in an airport  awesome, for real

Thing's actually making me want to see the movie even more. Overlaying this material with the previews, there's seems like some great connections.

But yea, don't mind me. Johnny come lately and all that.

I agree with gryeyes that someone whose grown up with comics that followed this might not be as impressed after seeing the movie. But the story can probably transcend the medium as well as others have (like has been said: how many ran out to buy Batman: Year One after seeing Begins? Or bought any Ironman graphic novel?).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #49 on: March 01, 2009, 07:26:07 PM

I think Velorath mentioned a few times before that the surge in comic movies hasn't really improved the comics market.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 01, 2009, 07:43:52 PM

I agree with gryeyes that someone whose grown up with comics that followed this might not be as impressed after seeing the movie. But the story can probably transcend the medium as well as others have (like has been said: how many ran out to buy Batman: Year One after seeing Begins? Or bought any Ironman graphic novel?).

Movies definitely generate additional interest but i dont think its significant.Comics are very expensive for their entertainment value. And older books whose art and style is a bit archaic turn many people off. I dont see how the movie is going to do justice to story of the comic. Intelligent and subtle themes dont seem to translate well to movie adaptations. The entire comic industry needs to make TPB's the standard instead of monthly issues.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #51 on: March 01, 2009, 08:30:57 PM

Movies definitely generate additional interest but i dont think its significant.

Which of course you aren't basing on any actual info.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #52 on: March 01, 2009, 09:20:51 PM

As for the movie, it's Watchmen -which even if it's condensed, should be entertaining. What should be said though is that Zack Snyder has the Midas touch or some shit. He already managed to decently remake and (imo) trump Romero's best movie, as well as creating somewhat of a phenomenon out of an obscure, linear Frank Miller tale about Spartans. And he has even't used a big name actor in any of his movies yet.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 02, 2009, 03:38:44 AM

And he has even't used a big name actor in any of his movies yet.

"Veronique-Natale Szalankiewicz" is quite a big name and would be an awesome Scrabble score too.

I'll get my coat.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #54 on: March 02, 2009, 04:17:17 AM

After reading the first reviews of Watchmen I decided to read the comic first. It's really great so far. Alan Moore's portrait on the back is even more scary though than any of the watchmen, he looks like Catweazle.

I also picked up Batman: The Killing Joke but I found it to short and a bit over the place. The more I know about Moore's work the more I am convinced that he is at his best if he has a few hundred pages than when he does single issues.

For me he seems to be more of an author that writes books with illustrations than 'just' a comic book author.
Arinon
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 02, 2009, 12:57:17 PM

And he has even't used a big name actor in any of his movies yet.

Using a big name actors can sometimes do more harm then good.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 03, 2009, 11:00:01 AM

That would be convincing if not for the minor matter that everything the Brits do or say is wrong.
Interesting post in a Watchmen thread.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #57 on: March 03, 2009, 09:57:05 PM

Green, right?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #58 on: March 03, 2009, 11:47:34 PM

But yeah, the advice I'd give you is go to a matinee.  Even before I worked at a theater, I never understood why people are stuck in the habit of going in the evening and paying more for a worse experience.  Hell, the theater chain I work for is now doing $6 tickets (compared to the $10+ evening tickets) for the first showing of each movie every day, and I'd be surprised if other theater chains aren't doing comperable things.  Maybe you're stuck working Friday morning, so you can't see it on release day, but you just go whenever your next day off is.  No crowds, cheaper prices.

I'm paying about $40 a ticket so that I only have to sit in a cinema with people who are there to sit down and watch, not talk to their friends about how awesome last night's party was and hey, what just happened? Did that guy just shoot that other guy? Why'd he do that? Hang on, I've got a call. Hi. Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, yeah.

Then again, it's $37 a ticket for Gold Class vs $16 a ticket for regular and we have no such things as matinees or cheap movies. Best I can do is about $10, last I checked.

Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 04, 2009, 12:01:06 AM

I'm paying about $40 a ticket so that I only have to sit in a cinema with people who are there to sit down and watch, not talk to their friends about how awesome last night's party was and hey, what just happened? Did that guy just shoot that other guy? Why'd he do that? Hang on, I've got a call. Hi. Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, yeah.

Then again, it's $37 a ticket for Gold Class vs $16 a ticket for regular and we have no such things as matinees or cheap movies. Best I can do is about $10, last I checked.

Ahh, someone ran with my idea.  $37 a ticket is a bit steep though, I was thinking a little more stripped down and cheaper prices.  I was thinking, nice big seats, no babies or children, you get up to whatever and you are not coming back, enforced by roided out nightclub-style bouncers.

I was at a movie where someone went to get security because someone kept answering their phone and LOUDLY talking on it.  One member of our group went to alert security, which never showed up.  Finally, my 6'5", 300+ pound roommate yelled, "IF I HEAR YOU ANSWER THAT FUCKING PHONE AGAIN I AM GOING TO COME OVER AND SHOVE IT DOWN YOUR FUCKING THROAT!!!"  That was the last time we heard the phone go off.

Then at another movie that I attended alone, I had to kick out some asshole with a megaphone, to an ovation from the audience.

God I hate the theaters.  Why can't they just hire nightclub bouncers who want to crack skulls instead of skinny little high school kids for ushers?  Hell, I don't even see ushers in most shows I've been to recently.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #60 on: March 04, 2009, 01:33:18 AM

God I hate the theaters.  Why can't they just hire nightclub bouncers who want to crack skulls instead of skinny little high school kids for ushers?  Hell, I don't even see ushers in most shows I've been to recently.

We have security guards on the weekends, but don't generally have too many problems Mon-Thurs.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #61 on: March 04, 2009, 07:35:55 AM

The last time I was in a theater with people talking through the movie (mostly whooping and hollering encouragement to the characters on screen), I got up, walked over to where they were sitting, and sat down next to them.  This was in a mostly empty theater.

As soon as I got there, they all shut up, and pointedly avoided looking at me as I looked over at them with crazy eyes and a friendly smile on my face.

After a few seconds of making them squirm in silence, I said, "This is a pretty good movie, huh?"  The chief noisemaker said "yeah, man, it's awesome."

Another few seconds pass as I continue smiling and nod my head enthusiastically.  They continue trying to avoid eye contact.

"... shit, man, can you HEAR us down there?"

"...Yeah.  Yeah, I can."

"Aw, shit, man, we'll keep it down."

"Thanks."

I get up and go back to my seat.  Not a peep from them the rest of the movie.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #62 on: March 04, 2009, 09:33:44 AM

Ahh, someone ran with my idea.  $37 a ticket is a bit steep though, I was thinking a little more stripped down and cheaper prices.  I was thinking, nice big seats, no babies or children, you get up to whatever and you are not coming back, enforced by roided out nightclub-style bouncers.

Showcase/ National Amusements have started building new theaters based around this idea as well.  http://www.nationalamusements.com/theatres/cinema_de_lux.asp

From what I remember, it's $20 more per ticket to do the DeLux thing.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #63 on: March 04, 2009, 05:05:02 PM

There's two different ways it runs here - one chain charges a high ticket price, but then gives you a bit of a buffet-style self-service snack bar (alcohol costs, of course, but you can stuff yourself on popcorn and softdrink for nada if you want) while the other charges a high ticket price, then an obscene amount for slightly-better-than-average food that is served on nice plates. Sadly, I take the expensive meal every time - I don't get a kick out of popcorn for dinner.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 04, 2009, 05:15:56 PM

That would be convincing if not for the minor matter that everything the Brits do or say is wrong.

awesome, for real

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 04, 2009, 06:21:05 PM

Just got back from watching it..

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:22:49 PM by fuser »
Broughden
Terracotta Army

I put the 'shill' in 'cockmonkey'.

Reply #66 on: March 04, 2009, 08:11:20 PM

Showcase/ National Amusements have started building new theaters based around this idea as well.  http://www.nationalamusements.com/theatres/cinema_de_lux.asp

From what I remember, it's $20 more per ticket to do the DeLux thing.

Im not sure what they are claiming on their advertising but we have one of those here in Louisville.
The wife and I have been a few times. There is a small restaurant inside and a bar.
Otherwise its a normal theater with the screaming kids and teens on cell phones...absolutely no difference.

I actually hate the damn place because they built it way out in the suburbs, and it forced the closure of the urban theater located closer to downtown where we live.

The wave of the Reagan coalition has shattered on the rocky shore of Bush's incompetence. - Abagadro
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 05, 2009, 03:27:28 AM

We all have horror stories but had a good one lately.

Some baby started crying and it's mom almost immediately grabbed it and took it out to the lobby.  Now THAT's good parenting.

I just wanted to hug her.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 05, 2009, 01:45:33 PM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #69 on: March 05, 2009, 01:50:41 PM

The last time I was in a theater with people talking through the movie (mostly whooping and hollering encouragement to the characters on screen), I got up, walked over to where they were sitting, and sat down next to them.  This was in a mostly empty theater.

As soon as I got there, they all shut up, and pointedly avoided looking at me as I looked over at them with crazy eyes and a friendly smile on my face.

After a few seconds of making them squirm in silence, I said, "This is a pretty good movie, huh?"  The chief noisemaker said "yeah, man, it's awesome."

Another few seconds pass as I continue smiling and nod my head enthusiastically.  They continue trying to avoid eye contact.

"... shit, man, can you HEAR us down there?"

"...Yeah.  Yeah, I can."

"Aw, shit, man, we'll keep it down."

"Thanks."

I get up and go back to my seat.  Not a peep from them the rest of the movie.

I applaud you, I really do. This isn't "internet toughguy" posturing, but I actually am a piece of shit in real life when it comes to being confrontational. Momma tells me to count to 10.

You just had to post a pic, didn't you? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Watchmen  
Jump to: