Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:54:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Experience Enhancements - Phase III 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Experience Enhancements - Phase III  (Read 29147 times)
Seanzor
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: October 23, 2008, 11:41:17 AM

Dividing XP required to level by 2.5 should be pretty easy to implement.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #71 on: October 23, 2008, 11:42:48 AM

100% experience - GREAT! Oh wait, it's only experience gained from killing other players.

Taz and I participated in some keep-taking the other night. With a warband, we took 2 keeps (3 keeps?) and tried another keep, as well as taking most of the BO's around those keeps. In all that time (about an hour), we fought maybe 5 players, most of them solo lookie-loos. It wasn't until we tried to take the keep in Talabecland that we saw any significant amount of player resistance at all. So how is that exp. boost supposed to help?

Right it isn't. It's a really token attempt. It could have been 400% and it still wouldn't be that helpful. Objective-taking has got to get a serious boost. Or there needs to be a mechanic that allows a warband to declare an open field battle - plant a banner in the middle of a warzone and have the other side get a message generated that says "Open Battle Started - Click here to go to nearest warcamp." There really needs to be a lot of "Click here to go to nearest warcamp" mechanics put in the game.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #72 on: October 23, 2008, 11:51:29 AM

Ideas are easy.  Implementation is hard. 

I think that covers it.

Nicely done Nebu, in six words you matched new guy's essay :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: October 23, 2008, 11:53:30 AM

6 sentences and 2 bullet points counts as an essay these days?

Shit, I wish I was in school today rather than a decade ago.

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #74 on: October 23, 2008, 11:54:49 AM

Generally I've never felt the need to post here but I almost have to respond to this.

You're not responding to it. You're missing the point. When I talk of solutions, I don't mean ideas - I mean actual fixes.

The real issue is communication. 

No, its the state of the game at the point that somebody decides to leave. Communicate all you like about what you intend to do, but until the game pleases people most are not going to stay. So you need the solution, not just in the form of ideas in f13 threads or even developer blogs, but in the form of applied patches to the current game.

I don't care what they decide to do in the 'developer conference room'. You've mistaken me for somebody else. I only care about the results. If I wanted magical promises I'd go find out what David Bowman was up to.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #75 on: October 23, 2008, 12:21:16 PM

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #76 on: October 23, 2008, 12:21:50 PM

See the :) Anyway, your numbers are fucked.

For the record, Bit, you are one of the new essay guys that make good points. :P
Had my ten year last year.  Fuck, that means I have been playing MMOs for about 12 years now.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Beld
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: October 23, 2008, 12:30:47 PM

Generally I've never felt the need to post here but I almost have to respond to this.

You're not responding to it. You're missing the point. When I talk of solutions, I don't mean ideas - I mean actual fixes.

The real issue is communication. 

No, its the state of the game at the point that somebody decides to leave. Communicate all you like about what you intend to do, but until the game pleases people most are not going to stay. So you need the solution, not just in the form of ideas in f13 threads or even developer blogs, but in the form of applied patches to the current game.

I don't care what they decide to do in the 'developer conference room'. You've mistaken me for somebody else. I only care about the results. If I wanted magical promises I'd go find out what David Bowman was up to.

Don't you think that knowing what was coming down the pipeline, particularly as it applied to specific concerns about game direction would be likely to affect someone's decision to leave?
Beld
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: October 23, 2008, 12:32:12 PM

Ideas are easy.  Implementation is hard. 

I think that covers it.

You want an essay, I'll give you an essay... but you have to promise to write me a book report on it :P
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: October 23, 2008, 12:54:23 PM

Don't you think that knowing what was coming down the pipeline, particularly as it applied to specific concerns about game direction would be likely to affect someone's decision to leave?

Probably not as much as the current state of the game would, and one could argue that it might cost them some subscribers. After all, if Mark Jacobs were to post on some fabulous developer blog that they intended to address all my concerns but that it wouldn't happen until February, I would probably leave and come back in February. If on the other hand the bulk of my concerns are addressed in the short term by way of actually being fixed, I wouldn't really care what they posted on their blog. I'd be too busy playing their game in my spare time.

BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 23, 2008, 01:41:13 PM

See the :) Anyway, your numbers are fucked.

For the record, Bit, you are one of the new essay guys that make good points. :P
Had my ten year last year.  Fuck, that means I have been playing MMOs for about 12 years now.

So we've moved on from English class to Math now, eh? ;)

But thanks, I try to keep it short and sweet as possible, but sometimes next to me Joe Biden sounds brief.

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: October 24, 2008, 05:48:01 AM

I think:

1) They should have a trickle of experience to everyone in the zone-pair based upon how many POI in the warzone a side currently controls.  Gonna be in this zone awhile?  Probably a good idea to try to hold a keep and some points of interest.
1.1) They should periodically have barkers in the town make clear just how much exp the other side is gaining based upon our side not holding a majority of the POIs in the warzone.  The barkers should be insulting.

2) POI should accumlate experience and renown based upon how long they are in enemy hands.  POI should also increase their exp trickle (see 1) based upon how long they are occupied.
2.1) it should be clear from the map what a keep or other POI is currently worth.

3) POI should give a mini-renown-gasm periodically based upon being held a certain amount of time.  A renown-gasm is the zone-pair-wide burst of renown that comes from taking control of a whole zone.

4) that the stuff you craft should have an increased chance to craft better stuff if you craft in keeps, and there should be vendors in keeps to allow crafting.  Make the crafttards be our first line of defense.

5) Someone previously suggested getting intel on attacking force size from the game. I disagree in that it makes feints impossible.  Make the keeps worth keeping and players will provide their own intel.
Geki
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: October 24, 2008, 06:03:32 AM

1. Move the repeatable scenario quest givers to the inside of the keeps.  This way if people want that nice little bonus while power-scen-leveling they'll have to at least go into an rvr area to get it.

2. Increase leveling speed by at least 2x.  In closed the leveling was just about spot on (read quick) and just before the guild beta guys arrived they slowed it way down.  Needs to be reverted.

3. Get all of the forums ready for people bitching about how their machine runs at 3fps when trying to take a keep.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 24, 2008, 07:09:46 AM

I like #1.
Beld
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: October 24, 2008, 07:33:00 AM

Probably not as much as the current state of the game would, and one could argue that it might cost them some subscribers. After all, if Mark Jacobs were to post on some fabulous developer blog that they intended to address all my concerns but that it wouldn't happen until February, I would probably leave and come back in February. If on the other hand the bulk of my concerns are addressed in the short term by way of actually being fixed, I wouldn't really care what they posted on their blog. I'd be too busy playing their game in my spare time.

That's certainly a fair point.  At the same time, I think you have to concede that the average poster on THESE forums may not, in fact, be the average player of WAR.  Granted I don't think the average WAR player is as non MMORPG-savy as WoW (many of whom I expect have only played WoW), but still I think the point really is, much like DAoC when it came out, this is not a finished product.  I think it has become clear that whatever fixes they are planning on overall, they won't be short term roll outs.  Whether they are medium or long term (and what medium or long means in terms of months) I have no clue.  But, I'm guessing to the majority of complainants, if a dev blog rolled out and said we have XYZ fantastic fixes coming in the next 1 to 3 months, the duration of time depending on the specific fix... you'd probably see a lot more people saying "oh okay, I will be 40 right around then, thanks".

Just a guess.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: October 24, 2008, 08:23:03 AM

Mark has been posting that sort of thing on the WAR Herald though hasn't he? They're just not necessarily all the 'hot button' issues or being addresses in the same order that the 'atypical players' here consider to be the highest priority.

In December we're getting the two tank classes that were removed during beta. In the next major version (1.1) we were promised improved performance, fewer crashes, a fabulous mail system, better drops, an RvR influence grind, a fabulous chat system, better RvR rewards, a server transfer system, more fabulous PvE quests (yay, PvE), a balance pass on character classes and other stuff.

I don't necessarily think that more frequent promises, better written promises or the ability to comment on the promises on their site will drive the barbarians from the gate. But it would certainly be nice for f13 readers and moderators if they were to implement their own forums.

Beld
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: October 24, 2008, 08:34:38 AM

Heh point taken.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Experience Enhancements - Phase III  
Jump to: